• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One OS to get a significant redesign with Windows 10

I think it's pretty clear based on how things are going that the Xbox will get updates to coincide with the new version of Windows as long as they continue to support it right? Isn't the current version code wise very similar to 8 already? It'd be a surprise if they didnt match up with updates to Windows.

FeiRR

Banned
Some of these devices have 4 inch screens – some have 80 inch screens – and some don’t have screens at all. Some of these devices you hold in your hand, others are ten feet away. Some of these devices you primarily use touch/pen, others mouse/keyboard, others controller/gesture – and some devices can switch between input types.

Yet they have the same Metro UI for all of them. To make more people suffer. Because reasons.

watership

Yes, but it's clearly a mockup of a new Xbox One interface. It has Forza Horizon 2, an Xbox One game, on the Dash.

They wouldn't include it if a refresh of the dash wasn't in the works.

The dash changes monthly, I think this was just a graphical similarity to reference that win10 code will be common across all platforms. X1 already has windows 8 code now.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Er, what happened to Windows 9...

Does this mean Microsoft is admitting already this version sucks? You know, Even Numbers Windows are Bad, Odd Numbered are good?

iMax

They should have named it Windows One.

Absolutely. It'd legitimise the Xbox branding, at least.

There is really nothing in that picture that confirms what op said in his title. It's purely speculation at this point.

It looks significantly different. That's not speculation. And we know Windows 10 looks like that because a technical preview is out right now.

Nzyme32

Yet they have the same Metro UI for all of them. To make more people suffer. Because reasons.

Windows 10 doesn't do this though. It will be dependant on the device or peripheral attached as well as screen size. Phones are limited to non-desktop while some bigger devices and tablets seem to go towards tablet interfaces. Laptops and desktops get to pick and choose dependant on what they have.

Xbox is the question mark. The quote seems to indicate that some devices can let you choose between input methods, so that likely also indicates others can't use some. So the xbox one may just remain with the same tiles interface or some other TV oriented big screen UI. They apparently have much more to show on the consumer side at a later date - hence the lack of info. They make many attempts to explicitly state this

ksdixon

So was 8.1 Windows 9?

Apparently there is no Win 9.
http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-christens-the-next-version-of-windows-as-windows-10-7000034196/

MS are completely retarded. Here's what their recent operating systems/products should have been called, and what they were actually called:

Windows 8 = Windows 8
- Really touch-based, no way official way to go back.

Windows 8.1 = Windows 8.1
- Improved Modern apps to a useable standard. Added Boot to Desktop instead of Start Screen.

Windows 8.2 = Windows 8.1 update 1
- Made certain things easier for mouse and keyboard users.

Windows 8.3 = Formerly rumored to be named Windows 8.2.
- This was turned into a much lesser, normal Windows Update, as MS decided to hold-back adding-back the optional Start Menu for the future Threshold release. That's right, we could be using it right now.

Windows 8.4 = (codename Threshold/Windows 9)... Windows 10
- Will let us use Modern apps in a window on the desktop instead of as fullscreen apps. Will add virtual desktops. Will add an optional Start Menu.

Xbox Infinity = Xbox One
Xbox One is a horrible name from a brand perspective. Now you hear the following all the time ''... on the Xbox One.. fuck! I mean the Original Xbox!, Stupid Microsoft! Anyway...'' Xbox One should have been called Xbox Infinity, who's logo would be a sideways "8". That's how you co-brand devices, systems and operating systems together with one another.

Sure, Windows 8 and XBone have both struggled for a year or two. But now that both are out they could both be saved a lot easier with Windows 8/Xbox Infinity marketing working together. Not Windows 10 and Xbox One. Good Grief!

You ever wonder what the bottom of an avatar’s shoe looks like? Wabam! There it is!

But we should all expect the unifications of all these platforms going forward games are a drop in an ocean of all these companies' ecosystems.

Freeman

Banned
Windows 10 isn't an incremental upgrade so they brought it two steps ahead instead of one. Not kidding.

Lol. MS sucks when it comes to naming things, completely inconsistent.

Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One.
Windows 95, 98, ME, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10.

iMax

That's just a mockup, but I do expect some serious improvements and changes on the Xbox One side of things.

Even so, it's the design they're going for. Reading the press release, they make it very clear that Windows 10 will be running on all devices, including Xbox One.

Nzyme32

Apparently there is no Win 9.
http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-christens-the-next-version-of-windows-as-windows-10-7000034196/

MS are completely retarded. Here's what their recent operating systems/products should have been called, and what they were actually called:

I'm not calling it retarded just yet. They want to step away from the mess of windows 8 and demonstrate a step further away from what they have done in the past as well as show bigger generational leap with what they are doing. I'm fine with that if it is true.

In terms of naming, they even joked about it at the beginning of the talk - even going as far as to troll a little by listing possible names eventually including Windows One, which they said they'd "already done". I think they understand that naming structure particularly under Balmer was pretty wonky

Even so, it's the design they're going for. Reading the press release, they make it very clear that Windows 10 will be running on all devices, including Xbox One.

It's all backend stuff. Unified code so things work together. Look at Threshold. Doesn't mean UI. Why would they pitch avatars in an Enterprise conference?

Nzyme32

It's all backend stuff. Unified code so things work together. Look at Threshold. Doesn't mean UI. Why would they pitch avatars in an Enterprise conference?

I didn't think that is what he meant but, if it is... I don't know what to say.. I would have thought this was beyond obvious

since im picking up a XBO at the end of Oct.

*subed*

Any reason you're not waiting the extra month for Brack Friday bundurus? Or just doing it now while you can take advantage of the $50 in points they're giving away with new console purchases?

Seems like the end of Oct. is smack dab between the good deals.

jelly

Xbox mode for Windows PCs.

The new Microsoft Entertainment and PC gaming strategy. So long Xbox One....in a couple of years. Windows PCs take it from here, thanks for playing Xbox consoles.

atomsk

Party Pooper
You ever wonder what the bottom of an avatar’s shoe looks like? Wabam! There it is!

V1h9W.gif

Top Bottom