• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One OS to get a significant redesign with Windows 10

I hope they make it like the picture. It looks clean and minimalistic.

And i hope they bring avatars back in a big way, i loved those as they give some sort of personality to my profile and playing games that support them is even better.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Well...

More like all apps are funnelled through a central store... if an app on windows 10 is available and works for both pc and xbox (as a single unified app as selected by the developer) then you'd be able to buy for both. But they will still likely segregate available apps according to which store you're currently on.

One store.. Segregated between the One platform that you're on. You're probably right.

I hope you're wrong though.

SPDIF

Worst case scenario. Xbox One becoming a Windows box. Did anyone ask for this?

It pretty much already is a Windows box. It's running Windows 8 (albeit a stripped down version). Every app running on the XB1 is just a Windows 8 app written using the Windows 8 WinRT APIs. Once Windows 10 releases it'll be coming to the Xbox too, thus enabling universal apps across PCs, phones and the Xbox.

ksdixon

You can have touch on half with a diagonal line going across and the other desktop? Is there a shortcut?

Yes, of course you can.
Inside a full screen modern app use either your finger (touchscreen) or a mouse click at the top of the screen. Drag downwards to about the middle of the screen and you will see the modern app move. You can then place it in one half of the screen.

Once it's there, you can move the verticle seperater line (did you mean to type diagonal?) to change how much of the screen the modern apps takes up. Now you move the desktop back into the other half, either by swiping-in from the left (touchscreen), or alt-tab on a keyboard.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Worst case scenario. Xbox One becoming a Windows box. Did anyone ask for this?

I thought it effectively already is - more like windows RT in that the front end is only a different kind of metro (no full desktop). That is one reason MS can iterate the OS so quickly.

Opening up the App Store between windows, windows phone and xbox is something they already mentioned at BUILD.

ksdixon

I wouldn't call that a significant redesign.

Casuals just want their Start Menu back so they can feel comfortable and safe again. Those of us on Win8(.1update1) already know that Win8 desktop has great improvements already. Such as the new file copy manager. I loath going back to Win7 or previous and not having this feature.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Casuals just want their Start Menu back so they can feel comfortable and safe again. Those of us on Win8(.1update1) already know that Win8 desktop has great improvements already. Such as the new file copy manager. I loath going back to Win7 or previous and not having this feature.

It's not even to feel safe. How do you find something if it doesn't add a shortcut to the desktop or metro, and you can't remember what it is called? There isn't anywhere that collects things together like the start menu did. It was a useful mechanism and removing it was pointless. Arguably done to try and foist the metro front end on us which backfired massively

CoG

I thought it effectively already is - more like windows RT in that the front end is only a different kind of metro (no full desktop). That is one reason MS can iterate the OS so quickly.

Opening up the App Store between windows, windows phone and xbox is something they already mentioned at BUILD.

There's a difference between being powered by the Windows kernel and APIs and the Xbox running Office. The latter does not sound like a great idea.

Yes, of course you can.
Inside a full screen modern app use either your finger (touchscreen) or a mouse click at the top of the screen. Drag downwards to about the middle of the screen and you will see the modern app move. You can then place it in one half of the screen.

Once it's there, you can move the verticle seperater line (did you mean to type diagonal?) to change how much of the screen the modern apps takes up. Now you move the desktop back into the other half, either by swiping-in from the left (touchscreen), or alt-tab on a keyboard.

Appreciate the note and the sincerity :)

I was commenting on how the first page is an obvious mock up because on the touchscreen laptop you have the screen split diagonally with the start set up in the bottom left and the touch tiles in the upper right. I don't think MS has ever moved away from a "windowed" setup. They mocked up that screen to show that the touchscreen laptop can use both types of Windows 10, but it would never be an actual feature. Thus, the XO redesign is also a mockup created by an artist for the presentation.

Xav

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The Avatars are making a comeback.

I told you guys :)

4Jll7RG.png

But what if it comes with screenshot support?

That's a low blow man.

I'd totally give up screenshot support if it means no more avatar garbage though.

Can't escape the back of my foot

I can cut the damn thing off though.

AW FUCK I didn't notice that. I try to never boot my 360 to OS to avoid that monster

Oh please god no.

Let's hope it's just something they added for the mock up, but it's hard to believe that MS would just drop them...

Well, Phil Spencer did recently say that Rare was an important part of the XB1's future.

It's depressing because it's probably true.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There's a difference between being powered by the Windows kernel and APIs and the Xbox running Office. The latter does not sound like a great idea.

I'd kind of be ok with it having basic apps like a tablet would. Eg Cortana and email, twitter, facebook, onedrive. Office probably isn't necessary though. All that with HDMI passthrough so it can notify you over Tv etc would be decent I think.

blanks777

Neo Member

I was commenting on how the first page is an obvious mock up because on the touchscreen laptop you have the screen split diagonally with the start set up in the bottom left and the touch tiles in the upper right.

Concur. I read your original comment as splitscreen functionality = not possible on a tablet (which it definitely is). But yes agree that it's a mockup since that functionality doesn't exist diagonally.

operon

I thought you can use a usb keyboard with the xbox one already.

ksdixon

It's not even to feel safe. How do you find something if it doesn't add a shortcut to the desktop or metro, and you can't remember what it is called? There isn't anywhere that collects things together like the start menu did. It was a useful mechanism and removing it was pointless. Arguably done to try and foist the metro front end on us which backfired massively

Windows 8 vanilla automatically pinned newly installed desktop software and modern apps to the Start Screen. People whined, so in 8.1 it no longer did this, and you had to manually pin things. So people made it harder for themselves... instead of quickly un-pinnning newly installed items, now they had to go digging and pin every item they wanted to pin.

Where do they go digging? The ''All Apps'' screen. Accessed by flicking the Start Screen upwards to reveal the All Apps screen on a touchscreen, or with a mouse clicking-on the down arrow which is inside of a circle on the bottom left corner of the start screen underneath the bottom row of tiles. The ''All Apps'' Screen contains both desktop programs and modern apps, and can be arragned in a variety of ways, such as Most Used first, Most Recently Used first, Desktop Programs first, Modern Apps first etc.

Honestly... Start Menu is archaic. If MS had have simply included better tutorials for touchscreen gestures, or how to find things with mouse and keyboard in the initial Windows 8 startup tutorial -- and perhaps made boot to desktop and Start Menu into optional toggles in the first place, then Windows 8 would have been a rousing success. But unfortunately the vocal few who moan the loudest beat-out genuine attempts at modernization and adaptation from Microsoft, who're now competing in a world where laptops and PCs are losing-out to smartphones and tablets.

Nzyme32

Xbox mode for Windows PCs.

The new Microsoft Entertainment and PC gaming strategy. So long Xbox One....in a couple of years. Windows PCs take it from here, thanks for playing Xbox consoles.

Well it is a likely eventually. I think Xbox is a brand they will not discard, but Microsoft's new vision of itself as a company ready for the"cloud first, mobile first" future that they again pushed today, seems suggestive of bringing everything together under windows and then allows for easier routes to other devices.

As a PC gaming strategy, I'm not really sure what they plan, but I don't think they will simply leave everything for Steam. I'd guess exclusivity to their store and something I'll dub now as "universal purchasing" where purchases that are available on other devices, will be. Then maybe later as sales tail, they open up to other revenue sources like they have done with steam recently.

Heck maybe they already have the capability to run Xbox games on other machines already:

9jblbro.jpg

I thought you can use a usb keyboard with the xbox one already.

You could on the Xbox360 too, but I don't think mice were ever a possibility as well as almost any other peripherals. I think it would be great to expand on that but obviously, balancing issue will come into play if that isn't controlled as far as actual gaming is concerned

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Good, the interface right now, while getting better, is just not up to par with it's predecessor.

ksdixon

This was all 'threshold' was all about? A unified design and look for their software? That's it?

Start Menu, running Modern Apps in windows on the desktop, Virutal Desktops.

To please those who shit their pants at how different Win8 was.

Win8 actually has some really nice improvements to the desktop, especially when you go from vanilla Win8 to 8.1 and then 8.1update1 (all of which are free upgrades to Win8).

ksdixon

I was commenting on how the first page is an obvious mock up because on the touchscreen laptop you have the screen split diagonally with the start set up in the bottom left and the touch tiles in the upper right. I don't think MS has ever moved away from a "windowed" setup. They mocked up that screen to show that the touchscreen laptop can use both types of Windows 10, but it would never be an actual feature. Thus, the XO redesign is also a mockup created by an artist for the presentation.

Ah, I see. I missed the first part of the conversation (I think I scrolled-down and missed a bunch of the first page when I refreshed the thread). Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm just glad that whilst the Start Menu will be the default for touchscreen laptops, I still have the option to toggle-on the Start Screen again :)

Webhead

Banned
Nothing about a redesign is confirmed. The final Win10 UI probably isn't even completely finished. It's not suppose to come out until well into 2015. The image in the OP is a mockup.

ksdixon

Windows 8 vanilla automatically pinned newly installed desktop software and modern apps to the Start Screen. People whined, so in 8.1 it no longer did this, and you had to manually pin things. So people made it harder for themselves... instead of quickly un-pinnning newly installed items, now they had to go digging and pin every item they wanted to pin.

Where do they go digging? The ''All Apps'' screen. Accessed by flicking the Start Screen upwards to reveal the All Apps screen on a touchscreen, or with a mouse clicking-on the down arrow which is inside of a circle on the bottom left corner of the start screen underneath the bottom row of tiles. The ''All Apps'' Screen contains both desktop programs and modern apps, and can be arragned in a variety of ways, such as Most Used first, Most Recently Used first, Desktop Programs first, Modern Apps first etc.

Honestly... Start Menu is archaic. If MS had have simply included better tutorials for touchscreen gestures, or how to find things with mouse and keyboard in the initial Windows 8 startup tutorial -- and perhaps made boot to desktop and Start Menu into optional toggles in the first place, then Windows 8 would have been a rousing success. But unfortunately the vocal few who moan the loudest beat-out genuine attempts at modernization and adaptation from Microsoft, who're now competing in a world where laptops and PCs are losing-out to smartphones and tablets.

Silly me. The easiest way would be to either pop-out the Charms Menu and press the search glass to search for the program you want... Or to pull-up the Start Screen and simply begin typing the name (no search box required).

Of course with later versions of Windows 8 (8.1, 8.1update1 etc.) You will actually have a little note on your Start Screen next to the Down Arrow In Circle icon for the ''All Apps'' screen, which says ''You Have Installed 3 New Apps''. Clicking on that will take you to the 'All Apps' screen, where your newly installed programs are highlighted.

All the complaints against Windows 8 sound like they come from people who tried vanilla Windows 8 in Oct 2011 (however long ago it came out), for five minutes, and never gave it a second look. A LOT of the venom is just plain wrong most of the time, and outdated the rest of the time.

malfcn

Wait, someone liked avatars?

Sweet Jesus.

I think he spent $100 on avatar items.

WAIT WHAT.

That's awful if they are, I was okay with my avatar going away for the Xbox One, can't expect my purchases to transfer from Xbox 360 -> Xbox One, but if my Avatar and the avatar purchases are being taken away from me on my Xbox 360, I'm angry. I'd want a refund on all my avatar purchases, I didn't spend $109 for nothing. :/

Top Bottom