• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One OS to get a significant redesign with Windows 10

I think he spent $200 on avatar items.
On mobile, so can't search well now.

9atlwRI.gif

I don't even....

Nope. One OS code for all products.

Yeah, see, that's what I always heard it was supposed to be...a code once, deploy to many if not all-type of initiative. Guess we'll see what happens in the end.

As for avatars, I don't mind them. People love wallpapers and I don't see many railing on them for it, but it would be nice to simply allow users to create their own without being forced to buy into a marketplace of inferior options just to create a another no-cost digital product to sell for too much. I did spend a few bucks on a Saturn t-shirt for my avvy.

hawk2025

Yeah, see, that's what I always heard it was supposed to be...a code once, deploy to many if not all-type of initiative. Guess we'll see what happens in the end.

As for avatars, I don't mind them. People love wallpapers and I don't see many railing on them for it, but it would be nice to simply allow users to create their own without being forced to buy into a marketplace of inferior options just to create a another marketplace item to sell. I did spend a few bucks on a Saturn t-shirt for my avvy.

You answered your own question: Because wallpapers are optional.

Avatars are annoying little things that completely took over the Xbox 360.

Deception

From a technical standpoint this is where a lot of big software companies are heading with unified OS's that can run on all of there platforms making updating, maintaining, and developing much easier.

It's honestly quite amazing from a developer point of view that I can build one code for several devices and have them all work as intended. Really cuts down Dev time.

see5harp

While i didn't spend any money on avatar items, I actually liked them for what they were. They were out of the way for the most part, completely optional, and made avatar pictures a helluva lot more customizable. In games like Pinbal FX2, the integration at least made things a little more lively.

You answered your own question: Because wallpapers are optional.
Right, and I could still optionally use a single image I uploaded myself as a single, non-dynamic wallpaper on X360. I'm just saying that I want that as an option still and not to be forced to buy in with X1 if they offer the choice.

SPDIF

As for avatars, I don't mind them. People love wallpapers and I don't see many railing on them for it, but it would be nice to simply allow users to create their own without being forced to buy into a marketplace of inferior options just to create a another no-cost digital product to sell for too much. I did spend a few bucks on a Saturn t-shirt for my avvy.

Yes, that's what universal apps are. They'll be talking more about them at their BUILD conference next year.

What's even the point of getting an Xbox One if it's going to use the same OS and api as PCs. Even the exclusive games are getting PC ports. I know unify the tiers of your products Microsoft, but geez it seems like the message is just build a more powerful "Xbox One".

Wait, does this mean we can publish Windows 8 / Metro apps on the Windows Store and they'll work on Xbox One?

Because, well... That's pretty awesome.

I'm not an Xbox fan, but the unified OS idea is pretty great.

Sydle

It's a year away, I'm sure it will look a little different by then.

It looks fine, but I'm excited for the universal apps above everything else. Hoping it's one big step towards buying a game from Xbox and it working on the console or PC.

Kssio_Aug

Wait, does this mean we can publish Windows 8 / Metro apps on the Windows Store and they'll work on Xbox One?

Because, well... That's pretty awesome.

I'm not an Xbox fan, but the unified OS idea is pretty great.

I believe it will depend on the developers side. But I guess it means that more apps will naturally show up on XB1 and every other Windows platform.

I believe it will depend on the developers side. But I guess it means that more apps will naturally show up on XB1 and every other Windows platform.

If it'll be as easy to publish an app for Xbox One as it is in Windows 8 store, then it could mean some pretty interesting things.

Like maybe even RetroArch can be on it (since they are planning a Windows App Store version).

Wait, someone liked avatars?

Sweet Jesus.

I actually thought many of the animations with the props were very well done, and I appreciated that they didn't try to stick to "stylish realism" like Sony attempted (and failed to do so) with Home for a long while, they jumped pretty quickly to "You want to dress like a Big Daddy? Sure, why not?"

I don't know why they never changed the "Default stance" so it wasn't so terrible, though. It must've been hardcoded into too many early prop animations, and they couldn't figure out a way around that.

see5harp

I actually thought many of the animations with the props were very well done, and I appreciated that they didn't try to stick to "stylish realism" like Sony attempted (and failed to do so) with Home for a long while, they jumped pretty quickly to "You want to dress like a Big Daddy? Sure, why not?"

I don't know why they never changed the "Default stance" so it wasn't so terrible, though. It must've been hardcoded into too many early prop animations, and they couldn't figure out a way around that.

The stance was my only real issue with it. That and not much variation in body size or weight. I actually liked unlocking items here and there though. It was one of the rare ways to pimp the games your actually liked. Once I got meat boy, I pretty much rocked him til the end.

Zedox

I really wish people who actually know stuff make threads than people who hear news, look at stuff and jump to conclusions...but anyways.

I'm excited for Windows Universal Apps for the Xbox and Windows 10.

1. I can't wait to do development for the new Kinect.
2. Excited to see what other developers do with Kinect.
3. It's the trojan horse for MS to be the first solution to getting "PCs" on the TV screen.
4. Cortana on Xbox (better recognition of what I am saying)

Really excited for what devs do with Kinect tho, I truly believe that small indie developers are the ones that can show bigger gaming companies what the Kinect is capable of. Seeing what indies did with Kinect v1 on Windows, truly excited for this time around.

Having only one design...I don't think that is a good idea. It is best to stick with what you already have (imo) and make improvements on it, rather than changing it completely as that will definitely upset most of the current userbase. Though, I guess IF you are going to change the design you might as well do it early on in the lifespan of the product (the XboxOne) instead of later on in the product's life span.

One shop though is good. Makes it much simpler. Buy an app or a game on one product, and can then instantly download it on the plateform that the app or game was meant for.

Don't know why I care though since I don't even own an XboxOne. Meh.

Wait, someone liked avatars?

Sweet Jesus.
Yeah, what's the deal?

I like my mini Lightning and wish I got to see more of her on my XB1. I was really happy when I saw XB1 Avatar customization increased the variety of hair color. And I was bothered when I saw the lack of store availability on the system. I was also shocked that there was no Titanfall customization available on the 360 store but that's another thing.

I mean, I don't like Avatar games or anything, but having a little pink haired Lightning being my system's Cortana is awesome and I wish I got to see her more on my home screen.

And with MCC, Lightning will probably be replaced by Master Chief.

jay23

I'm excited for universal apps so I welcome this. Spotify playing on the background of my Xbox would be pretty sweet.

Another sort of fan of Avatars here. I mean, I didn't mind them, and they gave the OS some playfulness and personality. I just wish they were more customizable, i.e. not limited to female or male human beings.

mike4001_

I think this is just a mockup.

They spent 3 months to get the new Friends Tab right.

I don´t think they would throw that all away.

I just want to run windows 10 without having to use your "one store". My "one store" on Windows is the internet browser.

Bonus points if I can skip having to create / use a Microsoft account, like in good old Windows 7.

Durante

I just want to run windows 10 without having to use your "one store". My "one store" on Windows is the internet browser.

Bonus points if I can skip having to create / use a Microsoft account, like in good old Windows 7.
If I can't use my OS without creating a fucking online account they can keep it.

Top Bottom