• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One OS to get a significant redesign with Windows 10

FyreWulff

Xboxes will always be updated to match the current Windows push these days. Not surprised after the 360 had Metro foisted on it.

You don't have to create or use a Microsoft account in Windows 8 either.

It definitely forced me to on first-startup on my MSI laptop. In fact, I enter my Microsoft password when I login, and not a computer-specific password.

Am I missing something? Can I cancel the account and continue to use the laptop as I normally would?

JaggedSac

It definitely forced me to on first-startup on my MSI laptop. In fact, I enter my Microsoft password when I login, and not a computer-specific password.

Am I missing something? Can I cancel the account and continue to use the laptop as I normally would?

You can definitely use a local account instead of a MS account with W8.

Zedox

You can skip that screen...it's not necessary. It's definitely there. They recommend signing in with an account but you don't have to. You can make local accounts.

Keyouta

Shit. How can I switch to a local account after the fact? Sorry, veering OT.
Go into your account settings and you can change it. When you started up your MSI laptop, when you go to the create a new account option, that's where the "use a local account" was under. It's confusing, so I hope it's handled better in 10.

Brian★;132522377 said:
Colour scheme looks kinda like the PS4.
Looks way better than the XBOXONE OS right now.

It looks way better? That screenshot looks almost exactly like the current pins section with the ability to resize certain pins and possibly change the background color.

klodeckel

Banned
Phil Spencer will talk at Windows 10 event

On Wednesday, January 21st – we will be holding an event here on Microsoft’s Redmond campus where we will talk about the next chapter of Windows 10. You’ll hear directly from senior leaders from the Operating Systems Group including Terry Myerson, Joe Belfiore and Phil Spencer who will talk about the Windows 10 consumer experience – continuing the story we began in September. You’ll also hear from our CEO Satya Nadella as well. We’re going to live webcast the event so mark your calendars! As we get closer to the event in January, watch for another blog post from me on where to tune-in and watch the live webcast. As you can imagine, we’re pretty stoked to show you what’s next for Windows 10!

Windows-10-Invite.jpg

Source

Basically confirms incoming Xbox One OS changes.

Majine

Banned
I hoping for Cortana or something similar for Xbox One. Asking your system "what's my gamerscore in Sunset Overdrive" and have it tell you that, that would be cool.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I hoping for Cortana or something similar for Xbox One. Asking your system "what's my gamerscore in Sunset Overdrive" and have it tell you that, that would be cool.

Anyone else find it funny when Microsoft named their voice recognition "A.I" service Cortana.

I was like really, they're actually doing this.

Anyone else find it funny when Microsoft named their voice recognition "A.I" service Cortana.

I find it more funny how much better Cortana is at voice recognition than Kinect's whatever it's using.

Thankfully they're going to integrate Cortana into Kinect.

JaggedSac

I find it more funny how much better Cortana is at voice recognition than Kinect's whatever it's using.

Thankfully they're going to integrate Cortana into Kinect.

Bing. When you do a Bing search on the Bone using voice, it uses the same backend as Cortana and as such, is much more accurate. Cortana just tries to provide a bit more natural usage.

Alx

It was supposed to be a temporary project name only IIRC, they just got used to it I suppose.
It doesn't sound weird to me since I barely know the Halo lore, and I like software using a real name rather than obscure codenames. Especially if it's a talking software.

nordique

looks like a much cleaner and streamlined design

Xbox One has the worst/most cluttered OS, so its a welcomed change

I'd like this but I think it's too early for a slim.

Assuming they wait until Gamescom in August to announce the price drop and redesign with the OS being updated whenever the slim would release then I wouldn't call it too early by any means. That would be close to two years from launch and I think it would be feasible and smart business. Especially if they manage to bring a limited edition Halo 5 console with the redesign ;)

McHuj

Maybe they'll release a good noise cancelling mic as a replacement for the Kinect that can be discretely placed in a room.

I can't wait for the redesign as i'm not a big fan of the actual Xbox One OS. I just want them to make it snappier and faster.

I also hope they bring some new features like custom soundtracks and screenshots.

The cross development between Win10 and Xbox One sounds interesting as well.

I really hope Cortana comes to Xbox One so that we don't have to be quite as precise with all the commands.

Mirk

Windows 10 will run across an incredibly broad set of devices – from the Internet of Things, to servers in enterprise datacenters worldwide. Some of these devices have 4 inch screens – some have 80 inch screens – and some don’t have screens at all. Some of these devices you hold in your hand, others are ten feet away. Some of these devices you primarily use touch/pen, others mouse/keyboard, others controller/gesture – and some devices can switch between input types.

There is a Dr. Seuss joke in here somewhere...

EvB

It'll be mostly cosmetic for Xbox one, they'lll just roll out some new style sheets that control how it looks.

Wasn't this already confirmed a while ago? They're putting her on basically everything they make at this point. I got a chance to play around with the voice commands a while back, they work really damn well.

Anyway, calling it now: Xbox to turn into a prebuilt living room PC. Steam on X1 by the end of 2015.
BELIEVE.

Expecting them to continue the "Universal App" discussion... hence why the leaders of the ecosystems are all there. So, build your app on Windows 8, and share the same code between WP and Xbox. Probably going ot have a lot of Universal apps/games for preview members to try out. Khan Academy released this week on XB1, I'm expectign A LOT more universal apps and games to follow and release on the XB1 as part of this preview.

Let's hope it is better than the current one. Since getting worse is really difficult... in those photos it doesn't seem drastically different, unfortunately.

I don't know how you can jump to that conclusion. These are mockups for a presentation. Can't you see the splitscreen on the tablet? That would never work IRL.

The version of Windows 10 I've used has a Start Menu with those large tiles pinned in it.

I think tablets will keep the Win 8 start screen.

Top Bottom