• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Power Brick revealed

Since this I'd kind of a hardware thread, have they said how the kinect will connect to the xbox? All I have is power and hdmi through the wall from the tv to my av stuff. It's it wifi, rf, tag along through unused hdmi wires...or does it need it's own separate cable?

Alx

Since this I'd kind of a hardware thread, have they said how the kinect will connect to the xbox? All I have is power and hdmi through the wall from the tv to my av stuff. It's it wifi, rf, tag along through unused hdmi wires...or does it need it's own separate cable?

There's a specific port for the kinect to connect to the console.

*edit : the port with the small kinect logo :
20130514-XBOX-ONE-013-660x440.jpg

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i think they meant to say inside the retail box. so you dont have to buy it separately after all. phew.

It'll be a separate cable. And from the look of it, it's a special "Kinect port", not a regular USB. So I wouldn't keep hopes up for PC compatibility. Not without some sort of adapter, at least.

derder

No one would be stupid enough to put the power brick inside the console in this race. That's ~35Watts of heat that gets dumped into the system and an extra ~20 in^3 of space.

BibiMaghoo

Does it really matter in the slightest?

Is it not better that the power supply is outside the box, given the heat they give off? I know it is not as tidy, but if it helps prevent possible damage, requiring a little space for it seems like a non issue.

Woo-Fu

Banned
You'd think bricks would be done by now.

Why? External power bricks are a really good idea for some designs.

1. Less heat in the main enclosure.
2. Allows you to produce the same main unit for multiple locales, simply swapping out the external power supply for one that works with the power system of the locale.
3. Less weight in the main unit(making it more durable when it comes to small drops).
4. Less noise(having separate units creates more surface area for heat dissipation). External power supplies can often be passively cooled.
5. Don't have to replace/ship the main unit for power supply failures. Having it as a separate unit also makes for easier troubleshooting.

Bricks will never be "done" as long as we're using electricity to power things.

j-wood

I was correct. They made nearly the entire right half of the console a fan to avoid another RROD...lol

That's why it looks like two boxes shoved together.

I think it's a bit shorter than that even.

MS' press pics did not do justice. Made the thing look huge, so now everyone thinks it is huge and it's really not.

I thought it was a monster when Keighley was interviewing Mattrick. anyone have a pic of that? it looks really big in that shot.

farisr

I know where it will fit...

BTW, how is the presence of a power brick a reason for not buying the machine? Sharks smell blood it seems...

It's not something that alone will make people say "OMG not buying" but it is a negative for a lot of folks and it gets added to the "cons" section when people are looking at the overall picture of what console to buy.

Top Bottom