• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Preview Update August 2014 (1408)

I like how some people on here are making it seem like wanting 3D functionality is wrong or something that is not important.

FFS, Most if not all TV's nowadays have 3D. Adding to that, People who own many bluray movies like myself could benefit from this alot for example, I could finally rest my PS3 now because it's my primary blu player for blu's and 3D blu's.

smh.

I like how some people on here are making it seem like wanting 3D functionality is wrong or something that is not important.

FFS, Most if not all TV's nowadays have 3D. Adding to that, People who own many bluray movies like myself could benefit from this alot for example, I could finally rest my PS3 now because it's my primary blu player for blu's and 3D blu's.

smh.

Not at all.

Nice to get the feature of course though.

Thank god. I've been waiting for 3D Blu-Ray support for forever. I can't believe Microsoft is beating Sony to the punch on this.

mcrommert

Banned
Solid update. Really like how the new friends tab looks too.

Pretty content but would be fully content when they add background music (w/o snapping) and screenshot sharing.

This. I think background music is waiting for an entire os update which will be threshold windows 9...which will be next year

MaGlock

This monthly update thing is pretty great. Hated waiting 6 months in between 360 updates and they really seem to be listening to make it as good as possible. Props

JMizzlin

3D Blu!

Was honestly expecting pre loading but guess that'll come when new games are actually released.

Sadly means we probs won't get it in time for Destiny.

USC-fan

Banned
what would be better is if it started downloading the day before it was out and then at midnight in your time zone let you play. Like people who get thr physical version at a midnight launch at Gamestop.
Ps4 is starts doing this in sept. Sure ms will not be far behind.

This updates seem to aim at matching ps4 features.

2D! I mean...3D!!!!!!! I can't believe we had to wait 9 months for something that was standard on the PS3. The PS4 doesn't even have 3D yet and they were the ones pushing the technology in the past.

Yeah, If you are looking for a recent TV with really good blacks and contrast ratio it will most likely have 3D already.

I recently bought one and know a couple friends that recently purchased new TVs. From my research before I purchased, there are certainly 3D TVs out there, but they are far from being the majority from what I saw.

JaggedSac

Nice update. I'm actually looking forward to the Friends list features. Will make that thing much more interesting. Should have been there from the start, but at least it is coming along.

EvB

Ps4 is starts doing this in sept. Sure ms will not be far behind.

This updates seem to aim at matching ps4 features.

Some of those things yes, but that doesn't excuse the increasingly long list of things the PS4 has yet to match the Xbox One on.

I recently bought one and know a couple friends that recently purchased new TVs. From my research before I purchased, there are certainly 3D TVs out there, but they are far from being the majority from what I saw.

Here in the middle east where i live, You'd have to pray for a miracle if you wanted a REALLY good TV but without 3D. All the great top notch TV's here have 3D lol.

muzzymate

This update looks good. While I don't have a 3D TV, 3D bluray support should be wonderful for everyone who keeps asking for it month after month. The Featured/Ad section creeps a little further to the middle. I don't like that my gamerpic is no longer displayed but the space in the Friends rectangle so much better now.

There's always a couple new small features that don't get announced in these updates. I wonder what these months will be. My favorite so far of those are the discrete on and off commands that came a few months ago.

mollipen

Inexplicably? It's not like they could port 360's features to Xbox One. They had to write a new OS from scratch, so some of the features we took for granted have to be re-written and added to the new console.

Let us not forget how barebones the 360 OS was when it first came out.

The PS3 and 360 came at a point where gaming consoles were going through a huge transformation in what we expected from them. Even on the previous platforms, most of the experience was "put game in, play game". Suddenly, consoles were also supposed to have a depth of online features, media options, digital stores, social elements, and plenty of other things that were relatively new to the space. Those consoles needing to find their way in what all of that means totally made sense.

At this point, a lot of that has been figured out, and does not or should not need to be re-learned. That features that are basic and core to the console experience were missing on both platforms was (and still is) pretty inexcusable to me.

Yes, making a new OS is hard, but that doesn't mean that you can just say core functions are something you'll get to later, or worse, expect people won't demand them from the start. It's like releasing a smartphone in 2014 that can't handle texting, or doesn't have a means for organizing apps, or has no options for media playback. "But we're just getting off the ground" doesn't work as an excuse at that point. Time moves on, and the expectation for what the minimal amount of functionality must be at launch does too.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sooooony are failing so hard with post launch support of PS4. The very fact that Xbox One is getting 3D Blu Ray playback before the PS4 is a joke. Good job Microsoft, now I can finally sell my PS3 :)

Different companies putting different things in different orders. PS4 already has friend activity and low battery notification, and remote purchasing.

ethomaz

Banned
It is pretty shame to Sony that own Blu-ray (of course it is a association) don't have this feature on PS4 while MS implemented it on XB1.

BTW this feature had to be on day one on both consoles but the Sony situation is way worst than MS.

Different companies putting different things in different orders. PS4 already has friend activity and low battery notification, and remote purchasing.

Xbox One also had friend activity since Day 1 they're just adding features like being able to like and comment on stuff, which isn't possible on PS4 atm.

I don't even expect a lot from the PS4 because every Sony product I owned sucked software/OS-wise, but what they could do is fix the video recording already. Just have an update that does nothing but fix the video recording. It's still broken on a handful of big titles.

RoKKeR

Pretty solid update, but still missing a few big things like screenshots, pre-loading, and background music.

Nonetheless it's great to see MS staying on top of the OS like this. Means more good things are to come.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Regardless of how half-baked the OS was at launch, these steady, meaningful, feature-packed updates give a strong vibe of evolution. It's a good look that showcases commitment and inspires confidence.

I approve.

Vinc

They are killing it with the updates. It couldn't be better, really. BUT JUST GIVE ME HDMI-CEC, MICROSOFT! My Smart TV won't switch inputs via IR blaster.

You can like on PS4 since Day one... comments is a nice add.

How? I just tried it to make sure I'm not talking shit, but the only thing I can do is press X on it then the "activity" goes full screen.

Edit: Found it, it's only on things you'd want to like not on everything.

Edit2: Weird it's not on every "x played" or "x got this trophy"

jayvo

Damn......3D support. Never saw that one coming from Microsoft first. These monthly updates have been stellar.

Woah, awesome stuff this month. Killer stuff, seems to be jam packed. I REALLY like being able to add text in your feed. Bring on next week.

ckohler

Perfect timing. I sold my PS3 just last week to get an Xbox One knowing I'd had to give up 3D Blu-ray for a little while. Turns out it's only for about a week!

Hopefully this will push Sony to move quicker in adding features. Didn't they add a bunch of developers to their OS team recently?

ethomaz

Banned
How? I just tried it to make sure I'm not talking shit, but the only thing I can do is press X on it then the "activity" goes full screen.

Edit: Found it, it's only on things you'd want to like not on everything.

Edit2: Weird it's not on every "x played" or "x got this trophy"
I think you can set privacy for what your friends can do... so I can allow or not allow that my friends like my stuff.

Can't wait to pop in a 3D Movie next week.

Even if pre-loading isn't available at least they added remote downloading so I can download while at work.

Regardless of how half-baked the OS was at launch, these steady, meaningful, feature-packed updates give a strong vibe of evolution. It's a good look that showcases commitment and inspires confidence.

I approve.

This comment seems oddly out of place at this point. The OS didn't strike most people as "half baked" at launch, and it's most certainly not lacking features now. It's entering the phase where it's blowing past the competition at an increasing pace.

Perfect timing. I sold my PS3 just last week to get an Xbox One knowing I'd had to give up 3D Blu-ray for a little while. Turns out it's only for about a week!

Hopefully this will push Sony to move quicker in adding features. Didn't they add a bunch of developers to their OS team recently?

One would have thought Sony would have felt pushed to move quicker a long time ago, but that clearly hadn't happened.

jaxpunk

Holy crap I can unhook the PS3 from my 3dtv finally.

Can someone send me an invite to the preview program? Pretty please!

Caayn

Surprised that MS managed to get 3D blu-ray support before the company that is part of the Blu-ray association.

After a small July update MS returns to pumping out big updates.

Skele7on

Banned
who wants in the preview?

PM me gamertags ;)

Not everyone WILL get an invite from Microsoft but I can at least try for you.

Inbox exploding in 5 4 3 2 1

VanWinkle

Press menu and view at the same time? Don't know... can't think of anything else that would be instant.

Edit: What if they released a new controller with a dedicated picture button but gave people with the old controllers the ability to take pics too by doing what I said above? Would that be too much? How many here would buy a new controller just for that ability? (haha)

Yeah I honestly would be all for that. Sony was forward thinking by adding the extra inputs on the DS4. A XB1 controller revision needs to have something similar to the share button for sure.

EvB

What if they released a new controller with a dedicated picture button but gave people with the old controllers the ability to take pics too by doing what I said above? Would that be too much? How many here would buy a new controller just for that ability? (haha)

I think they should do that just to spite the complainers.

Make it $100 to be even more perfect.

Top Bottom