• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: Preview Update August 2014 (1408)

rjinaz

Great job Microsoft on getting these updates out there and very surprising to see the 3D blu-ray support! Got to say as a PS4 owner, Sony is letting me down with their lack of updating of the PS4. If Microsoft continues this trend the Xbox One will definitely be appealing enough for me to purchase soon.

USC-fan

Banned
Just crazy some on this stuff wasnt there day one. I still do not understand how they overlooked controller battery support at all.

Also i had no idea people cared about 3d this much.

I do like the monthly update but wish they had a road map for features they are working on.

Man this machine is getting better and better by the month awesome!
Now I need more reasons to play it though :( But that will happen when new games come out this fall :)

Kampfheld

Banned
Some of those features were pretty low on the priorities of most Xbox users from what I saw on these forums. People want the screenshot feature more than anything else.

Sorry, but what you write is just ... Wrong.

Low Battery notification -> most requested in "Console & Accessories" http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/25...680--low-battery-notification-for-controllers

3D Blu-ray --> second most requested in "Apps" http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251646-apps/suggestions/6028547-3d-bluray-support

Friend last online --> under top 10 in "Friends" http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251648-friends-parties/suggestions/6028683-friends-list-last-online

Complete Activity feed and friends system overhaul --> pretty much every third request in "Friends" category

Remote downloading --> 5th most requested in Store http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251652-xbox-store/suggestions/5989323-remote-downloading

Turn off notifications while video --> not so much votes, but also just a "small" feature http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/25.../6032456-turn-off-notifications-during-movies

They clearly listen and prioritizing to feedback

Vashetti

Banned
Just crazy some on this stuff wasnt there day one. I still do not understand how they overlooked controller battery support at all.

I do like the monthly update but wish they had a road map for features they are working on.

3D Blu-ray at home is awesome.

rob305

Nice we're getting there! I'm sure screenshots and preloading will be there in the next couple of months

Some of those features were pretty low on the priorities of most Xbox users from what I saw on these forums. People want the screenshot feature more than anything else.

Like you said. Maybe on this forum. But there are way more Xbox fans out there on other boards that aren't here. The actual dashboard beta forums on the MS site has lot's of request for what's coming out.

Hawk269

It is the only reason why my PS3 was still hooked up. I have about 40 3D Movies and not being able to use them without a separate dedicated player was a pain. Having a PS4 & Xbox One and neither of them supporting 3D was a pain as having my PS3 hooked up with all my other AV equipment just made it a pain in the ass because of shelf space. The PS3 was standing on it's side on the floor because of lack of space, but now I can finally get rid of it. So that is a big deal.

Yeah, there are some features that you would think should of been there from day one, but to me that is just more proof that MS did not plan to release the system in 2014 and due to competitive reasons, they had to launch.

So for me, I am happy when I see that they are adding basic things like low battery indicator and such. Yes, I wish it was there from day one, but the fact that they are adding it and some other stuff is welcomed.

DWinn7

Shoutout to Microsoft.

The list of features keeps growing. I just want some meaningful non stability updatees for my PS4. It's the little things that eventually build a great OS and currently, we've been missing those updates.

m23

Good update, still need preloading and screenshots though. Any idea when its rolling out to preview members?

nath999

Mobile Purchases!!!!!!!

Anchorman.gif

It is the only reason why my PS3 was still hooked up. I have about 40 3D Movies and not being able to use them without a separate dedicated player was a pain. Having a PS4 & Xbox One and neither of them supporting 3D was a pain as having my PS3 hooked up with all my other AV equipment just made it a pain in the ass because of shelf space. The PS3 was standing on it's side on the floor because of lack of space, but now I can finally get rid of it. So that is a big deal.

Yeah, there are some features that you would think should of been there from day one, but to me that is just more proof that MS did not plan to release the system in 2014 and due to competitive reasons, they had to launch.

So for me, I am happy when I see that they are adding basic things like low battery indicator and such. Yes, I wish it was there from day one, but the fact that they are adding it and some other stuff is welcomed.

My 40 gigs PS3 laser died or something. I've been stuck without watching any of my 3D Blus. Been waiting to watch the first Hobbit in 3D for some time now. I can't wait for this update. I'm in the preview program, so hopefully this update hit's my console soon!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Can somebody invite me to the preview program please? My gamertag is DevNirvana.

kyo27

so will I be able to queue something to download while i'm at work and when I come home, it will be downloaded?

RdN

Great update, lot's of useful stuff.

Hopefully I'll be on the subset of preview users that get the new Friends tab.

Low battery notification: You asked for it, now a notification will pop up when your controller battery is getting low.

Man...What a clear example of the things Microsoft inexplicably removed from Xbox One when transiting from 360...And then we all clap every month like, "Thank you based MS for giving us these amazing 'updates'."

[Stealth edit:]

Last seen time in Friends list: Direct from Xbox Feedback, the friends list will now show how long it’s been since a friend has been online. For example, “Last seen 20m ago: Forza Motorsport 5.”

Know what I mean? Geez...

Bsigg12

Man...What a clear example of the things Microsoft inexplicably removed from Xbox One when transiting from 360...And then we all clap every month like, "Thank you based MS for giving us these amazing 'updates'."

Or just didn't even recognize it was needed because they were balls deep in a PR shit storm.

Inexplicably? It's not like they could port 360's features to Xbox One. They had to write a new OS from scratch, so some of the features we took for granted have to be re-written and added to the new console.

Let us not forget how barebones the 360 OS was when it first came out.

Great update, can't wait to check it out next week. I assume digital preorder / preload will come in the September update. They definitely will want to have that in place before Forza Horizons 2 release. And we'll probably get that preview in the 3rd week of August with Madden 15 being the first major release to do a trial run on.

Looks like a great update. The Friends Hub on the Home screen is a very nice addition.

Hopefully Preload is going to be in September so we can preload all the big fall titles.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.

Removed? It's more about implementing the feature in the new system. MS re-implemented the back bone of Xbox live and its APIs. Most of the features we got took for granted were not taken out for design's sake, but due to priorities when it came to roll out the initial set of features.

arhra

Didn't know so many people had 3d tvs. I thought most considered 3d a gimmick

I suspect it's not that many people in aggregate, but that the type of people to be early-adopters for a new console are also the type to be more into stuff like 3D blurays.

ImNotOnline2Day

Neo Member
Sooooony are failing so hard with post launch support of PS4. The very fact that Xbox One is getting 3D Blu Ray playback before the PS4 is a joke. Good job Microsoft, now I can finally sell my PS3 :)

At least I wish I could preorder the game so it starts downloading as soon as it is avaliable at the Store. For example, if Destiny is updated on the Store at 1:00, it starts downñoading automatically while I'm sleeping.
I had to be up to 3:00 am (Lima) to start downloading Titanfall.

Nephtes

At least I wish I could preorder the game so it starts downloading as soon as it is avaliable at the Store. For example, if Destiny is updated on the Store at 1:00, it starts downñoading automatically while I'm sleeping.
I had to be up to 3:00 am (Lima) to start downloading Titanfall.

what would be better is if it started downloading the day before it was out and then at midnight in your time zone let you play. Like people who get thr physical version at a midnight launch at Gamestop.

kyo27

The 360 didn't have an on screen indicator of low battery did it? Didn't you have to bring up the mini-guide to see the battery life on it? I know the controller had the spinning green light but that is completely different from having an on screen notification.

Skele7on

Banned
almost pre load great, I have already had mine download so will check it out now.

What to buy...

Ergh no games out, hurry up destiny.....

Top Bottom