• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One price cut to £399 in the UK, includes free copy of Titanfall

Status
Not open for further replies.
You keep talking about how awesome Titanfall is. Do you not think it's awesome enough to buy an Xbox One for?

And a pack in 4 months after release usually cost more than the console sold for at release. This is not a normal pack in.

Of course I do. If I didn't have either next gen console I'd but TitanFall and an X1 and MLB the show for a PS4.

TitanFall is going to go down as one of the best FPS games ever on console. You're damn right it's awesome enough to buy an X1 for. And even better for people who don't have the console yet? Now they get it as a pack in. That's awesome. Might buy a second X1 now for the other living room. Both rooms with full Kinect integration controlling all my shit in both rooms. I like the sounds of that actually.

It's 3 months from launch , don't act like this is normal.
How is it not? I've read from the UK posters here that the 360 was cut only 2 months in. Seems pretty normal to me. Two gens in a row. How soon was it here in the USA that Sony cut the PS3 price?

Seems pretty normal for these consoles the last couple gens to hit a high price to see what people will spend, and then change it accordingly.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Got two free N64 controllers after that price drop. Good times.

:(

I remember writing to Nintendo after the first N64 pricedrop here. It was a few months after launch IIRC.

After a few weeks I got a letter back - they were sorry about how I felt, valued me as a customer etc., but they had exhausted a small supply of peripherals they'd been handing out to pre-pricedrop customers.

Yet you got TWO?

:(

/still bitter

cakely

because The One had no games previously this big enough?
because The One was a little more expensive then?

TF is going to be big for MS, in US and UK. Sony has nothing to show for. PS4 has enjoyed the front loaded core gamers sales. Now is the time for dudebros to jump on board, and guess which one would they choose? I expect 3:1 in Mar and 1.5:1 going for the next few months.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I find your estimates to be overly optimistic.

Zornack

Of course I do. If I didn't have either next gen console I'd but TitanFall and an X1 and MLB the show for a PS4.

TitanFall is going to go down as one of the best FPS games ever on console. You're damn right it's awesome enough to buy an X1 for. And even better for people who don't have the console yet? Now they get it as a pack in. That's awesome. Might buy a second X1 now for the other living room. Both rooms with full Kinect integration controlling all my shit in both rooms. I like the sounds of that actually.

If it's so awesome and worth a console purchase then why bundle it for free?

This has less to do with Titanfall and more to do with the XB1's price. If you think that Titanfall justifies a $560 price for the average consumer then there's no reason to offer it for $500.

I'm not denying this is good news for consumers but this is not something that a company does if they are confident in their product and its price.

How is it not? I've read from the UK posters here that the 360 was cut only 2 months in. Seems pretty normal to me. Two gens in a row. How soon was it here in the USA that Sony cut the PS3 price?

Seems pretty normal for these consoles the last couple gens to hit a high price to see what people will spend, and then change it accordingly.

Pretty sure it wasn't an official price cut like this, UK retailers just have a tendency to price cut quickly.

It's 3 months from launch , don't act like this is normal.

As several posts have already mentioned, it's not without precedent--particularly with consoles that were selling below expectations. Not to mention how people have been hammering MS on the price-performance ratio since the launch price was announced back at E3.

The OG Xbox was cut two months after launch, the 360 price wasn't cut until at least 15 months or more later.

As several posts have already mentioned, it's not without precedent--particularly with consoles that were selling below expectations. Not to mention how people have been hammering MS on the price-performance ratio since the launch price was announced back at E3.

Sure, but they also set a precedent by offering 'thank you packages' to early adopters so as not to make them feel like they had just been ripped off and taken for chumps.

RulkezX

This is a price cut 3 months from launch on a console that is breaking Microsofts own sales records.

Not true, infact you could barely find a 360 on the shelves in the first few months. It was a long time before the 360 saw a price cut , and the Xbox 1 is trending higher than it in sales.

People doubted me when I said they would have to bundle it because of the way it was selling. They said it was laughable that Microsoft would bundle a game that would require a Live subscription just to play. I figured they would be buying Live already or would get a free sub bundled in.

Once again, I've been right about this gen so far. My gut (or the indigestion inside of it) is freakin' Nostradamus this gen.

<pats self on back>

People doubted me when I said they would have to bundle it because of the way it was selling. They said it was laughable that Microsoft would bundle a game that would require a Live subscription just to play. I figured they would be buying Live already or would get a free sub bundled in.

Once again, I've been right about this gen so far. My gut (or the indigestion inside of it) is freakin' Nostradamus this gen.

<pats self on back>

The good doctor wrote the Xbone a prescription. But will it cure the patient? We shall see soon enough.

Dougald

Wow, so soon.

Fastest pricedrop ever?

Quicker than the PS3 going from £425 to £349/£299 in the UK (6 months IIRC). Though at this point in the PS3s life cycle in the UK you could have one for £400 with 3 games, a blu ray and an HDMI cable

History just keeps on repeating itself

The OG Xbox was cut two months after launch, the 360 price wasn't cut until at least 15 months or more later.

Ahhhhh.. my mistake then. I was reading that wrong. Thought they were talking about the 360... well.. still stands! It's happened before! :D But will it happen again?!?!?!?!!?

They probably want more and more and more sales like all the consoles want. So bundle your top game to get people to buy the console. Software sales are pretty strong for the X1 as is right now aren't they? Thought so. I see no problem in putting a great game bundled. Mario is bundled, Nathan Drake is bundled, Master X has been bundled.

It's a bundle baby... and ba da ba ba ba.... I'm loving it. Like I've said.. hell.. this could make me buy an extra X1 now. A.. to have one in the other living room.. and B, TitanFall!

ringlord

If it's so awesome and worth a console purchase then why bundle it for free?

This has less to do with Titanfall and more to do with the XB1's price. If you think that Titanfall justifies a $560 price for the average consumer then there's no reason to offer it for $500.

I'm not denying this is good news for consumers but this is not something that a company does if they are confident in their product and its price.

They are using the popularity and hype of Titanfall to move consoles. They would have sold some at $560; they will sell more at $500. They decided they wanted to sell more. Pretty simple on the surface. In reality they probably had some marketing statisticians running numbers to determine units that would sell at each price, total profit with each strategy, plus Gold subs, etc, and they decided on the $500 option.

Dunlop

Just picked up a Nexus 5 so this deal better not come to North America to make me regret my purchase :p

Love how what should be seen as great news for consumers looking into getting a XB1 has been spun into a big negative across multiple threads

Cool to see MS being more competitive. This is entirely expected though. Their pricing in the UK was far too much. Must kind of suck if you bought an XB1 at launch in the UK for the purpose of playing Titanfall

This would've saved you what 85GBP maybe?

Sure, but they also set a precedent by offering 'thank you packages' to early adopters so as not to make them feel like they had just been ripped off and taken for chumps.

And what exactly could they offer to early adopters that would help mitigate their anger? They're already eating the cost of the copies in each bundle at this price, and giving away free copies to existing owners would be even more expensive without much long-term benefit.

This is a price cut 3 months from launch on a console that is breaking Microsofts own sales records.

That has also been getting outsold 2:1 in the 360's biggest markets since the holidays, and has been criticized for it's higher price for the past 9 months.

Positioning it for long term success is more important.

Kinda shocking to see price drop that fast for a new product. Smart of them though to "test" the drop in one area and see how that can work for the other regions. Im thinking if the Titanfall bundle doenst do as well well see a pricecut for NA at E3 for $450.

The good doctor wrote the Xbone a prescription. But will it cure the patient? We shall see soon enough.

It might help for a month or two. It isn't exclusive enough to get people to move on though. It will be a game that other developers copy ideas from though.

Amazon.com now has the bundle:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-Console-Titanfall-Bundle/dp/B00IIHU44E/ref=sr_tr_1?t=slicinc-20&tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=SCazgp15EeO6gz6StX-0HgIcv_C92z3_0_0_0&s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1393255420&sr=1-1&keywords=xbox+one

And what exactly could they offer to early adopters that would help mitigate their anger? They're already eating the cost of the copies in each bundle at this price, and giving away free copies to existing owners would be even more expensive without much long-term benefit..

3 months of free gold? £20/£30 free XBL credit? A free game download from their first party offerings?

Those won't break the bank and would do a lot more good than harm in the long run.

Both the 360 and PS3 didn't really drop much in price, they just increased the HDD size instead.

Yeah, it was an odd generation. Real price drops were very hard to come by, it was mostly done through value adds or Christmas bundles/Christmas specific deals.

Camoxide

Unconfirmed Member
And 4 months later I bought a 60GB PS3 with 3 games, a blu-ray and an HDMI cable for £400

So the Xbone is doing freaking awesome by comparison...

The sad realization that not only is early adoption a terrible idea, but that you'll probably not learn & buy the next lot of consoles on release anyway? That's what I get every time

Well £400 is $555 (excluding tax) so it seems like you got a good deal compared to the US's 599 US Dollars

EvB

Yeah, it was an odd generation. Real price drops were very hard to come by, it was mostly done through value adds or Christmas bundles/Christmas specific deals.

And I think that will continue this generation, you can't just keep dropping the price over and over for 10 years.
They obviously need to find the sweet spot for both machines.

I wonder if this is part of Microsoft and EA's special relationship?

Dougald

Well £400 is $555 (excluding tax) so it seems like you got a good deal compared to the US's 599 US Dollars

Nah, way back in 2007 $1 was worth almost £2GBP, we still got shafted :)

But I think that was probably still less than you'd pay for a solus console plus bundled items in the USA

mrklaw

MrArseFace

<pats self on back>

You were just talking sense

Bundle = perceived value at lower cost to MS so is a better option than a pure price cut.
Game needing live (and 30 days free) is a nice way to get those live subscriptions up for potential increased revenue

It comes bundled with Kinect! They really love just cramming that in as a feature.

AwdL9Iq.gif

"When Microsoft cut the price of the original Xbox in 2002 (for the same reason – sluggish sales) it offered two free games to early adopters and an extra controller. So far, there has been no such “thank you package”."

Yep, I need a thank you package. I'm not happy about this. It really is a fuck you to everyone who already bought a One.

Dougald

A bundle isn't really value if you can't buy it without a bundle, always makes me laugh when they come out with that

Next thing I'll be buying a new car and they'll be touting how its bundled with 4 wheels

Yoda

I don't see the logic in cutting in one region alone. This sends the message that other price cuts will be reactionary to poor sales (which X1 will have for Feb). I foresee an issue of U.S. and other EURO nation customers holding out for a price-cut to their region. This will surely boost UK sales though.

madmackem

Ms have been tossing down our throat that xboxone is selling in record numbers and way above 360 was here in the uk, the signs weren't there at all, sony just happened to be doing even better, this isn't an xbox 1 situation where it wasn't selling at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom