• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One reach 100 thousand shipped in China on day one

How big is the console market in China actually?

There is no significant console market in China. Consoles exist, but usually as grey-market imports. I think there may have been a small number of consoles that came out over time - there was a GC variant for example. But it's not significant. The gaming culture is focused primarily around the PC, and monetization tends to be based on F2P models that circumvent piracy, which is rampant.

If a console could break into this market and start growing a console culture, that would be a big deal. There is a large number of people who are in the right sort of demographics for a lot of console games, the trick is going to be getting them to buy when they're not accustomed to the business model. It was never ingrained in the culture like it was in the United States or Japan.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Huh, all the comments on the lead up of this had me thinking it was going to sell approximately nothing and that anyone who was going to buy one would have bought one as an import already.

is 100k out of 1,3 billion good?

Looks like some things can still be relied upon.

Respawn

Banned
Oh Gaf stop it!!!

this is like the 4th good news thread for the X1 in the last day......

Gaf will explode at this rate

and I hope that troll that posted the 'empty shops' thread before release date has enough balls to come in and apologise
Duckroll gave him a month to think about it.

I have no frame of reference against which to judge that number, if in fact it is a sell-through number (could be shipped). It sounds quite good...I don't know...We'll have to wait for the PS4 and WiiU launch to better assess the enthusiasm over there.

I've read a Forbes article from 2011 that mentions China having more middle class families than the entire population of the U.S. Just what is considered middle class in China and can they afford to purchase a console?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
What happens to Xbox if China becomes the main market? I've seen people (both in jest and earnest) say that China is important. Sony and Nintendo are already invested in Asian gaming so I forsee only business as usual. But if >50% of Microsoft's market ends up in China, what will happen to the Xbox brand?

Business

This generation? No. But Nintendo has a pretty strong history with Chinese-focused consoles.

Yeah I know about the iQue but I was wondering about the WiiU and the PS4 basically now that the ban is lifted. These Xbone numbers are very good and I think specially Nintendo should follow suit.

I've read a Forbes article from 2011 that mentions China having more middle class families than the entire population of the U.S. Just what is considered middle class in China and can they afford to purchase a console?

Affordability is not the problem for gaming in China, it's purchasing mentality.

Will the larger mainstream audience in China buy into console gaming which has a mostly different business model compared to the monopoly of F2P in their PC gaming side?

MCD

What happens to Xbox if China becomes the main market? I've seen people (both in jest and earnest) say that China is important. Sony and Nintendo are already invested in Asian gaming so I forsee only business as usual. But if >50% of Microsoft's market ends up in China, what will happen to the Xbox brand?

more Chinese mmos on xbox? ms buying Chinese devs?

fedexpeon

Banned

XB will be known for F2P games in the genre of MMO-RPG/FPS and MOBA.
I hope they don't release most of the games to the West though...those MMOFPS games are so bad.

Silky

Banned
Really good, that's UK/Germany/France territory, and being Xbox, and with the grey market, and with only 10 launch games too. This is the first gen where consoles are getting officially launched in emerging economies, console gaming has a lot of growth in those places. With some effort and time, I expect the new markets to rival Europe. The PS4 has yet to launch and Sony will surely go all out with some 3rd party exclusives receive Chinese translations.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Guessing shipped, but good on MS for giving China a chance, read about their plans and it's interesting to see how they're tackling China. Has huge potential imo.

chrizzz09

Why are people so excited about this? The Chinese government allowed MS to only ship 150k units till the end of the year.

And of course the 100k day one number is shipped.

Remember that on 10. Oct the iPhone 6 launches in China and the people there are willing to give their kidney for this phone rather than a console.

Why are people so excited about this? The Chinese government allowed MS to only ship 150k units till the end of the year.

And of course the 100k day one number is shipped.

Because they are happy about the prospects of the Chinese market getting access to consoles legitimately?

Hindle

Banned
Very impressive either way. If they've shipped 100k, then the X1 likely sold 40/50k first day, and could clear 100k by the second day.

It shows there is a market for consoles.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
To tell the truth I didn't think the demand for consoles in china was that big. Surprising. It's going to be exciting to see how the console market develops over there. If there's going to be a surge of popularity. With their population, they could eventually contest the US as the main market.

How can there be 1,3 billion people in China when there is only 7 million in the world??

Uhhmmm... I'm pretty sure there's atleast 8 million by now.

Top Bottom