• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX ONE Reveal: UI faked from the start. Very choppy, and CBoaT

Takuya

Banned
...sma.rt gueser. hat off tu u.

fhtuure Sonicsonwer.balmer.

21/5 promoshtow was fakked from minut one.non of hte tvstuff ins ready yet.

HIX? nojustnoo.no.stahlp.
Yeah, we found out shortly after the show. Apparently that wasn't the actual episode of Price is Right that was live at the time. Plus there were videos of an actual demonstration and while it worked ok (choppy video on initial channel pull-up) it wasn't as smooth as the stage presentation.

Yeah there's a video interview where they actually show the real UI with the snap feature runs at like 5 frames per second. They faked all of it on stage.
The video is question, from Wired, shows the UI in real time, it is choppy and slow.

ibqdrfIUSn00AV.gif

Credit to alr1ght for the gif.

Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifa9Q7ATfVA

Eusis

Well, I would expect they'd smooth it out for launch, though it'll be amazing to see the shitstorm if it stays clunky for release.

Duh, there wasn't a basketball game at 10am right? And those teams weren't even playing that day?

I thought this was old news?

calder

Honestly, I expect all on-stage demonstrations to be faked to some degree and even more to the point don't blame them at all. It's a half year or so until release....

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'll repost what I asked in the last thread: not surprising that the UI was faked, as I'm sure it was with the PS4 demo in Feb. What is surprising is that they started work on the Xbox OS back in November 2012 ("we've come a long way in seven months.") which means they'll have barely a year to have the Xbox OS done. Is that a standard amount of time for a console OS or does that seem really short to anyone else? Especially an OS as complex as this one?

pirata

Yipes. Although I can't say it surprises me, after their initial Kinect presentation (back when it was Natal).

nib95

Banned
Woah, completely different in that video. The snap video feature had the video running at an unwatchable frame rate.

Bgamer90

Banned
Will wait to see how things are when it's launched (or at least closer to launch).

The dashboard interface that was shown a few months before the Xbox 360's release (during its reveal) ended up having a good amount of differences in comparison to the one that actually launched with the system.

Shane86

Even the voice commands were faked, he had a device in his pocket that was changing everything. Notice he had his hands in there every time he spoke to kinect.

derFeef

Wait no basketball game the guy was actually excited about? No the price is right at the wrong time? weird! :) I hope it will improve, she said it's an early build.

hawk2025

I agree with everyone that says you kind of expect this to be the case, and most people noticed it wasn't real time.

...But then, they shouldn't have focused SO MUCH on saying "see? see how fast that was?". That part is sleazy, in my opinion. It's one thing to show the concept of what you are aiming for, it's another to highlight how fast it is when it's nothing of the sort.

That's not choppy. That's Directv. The feed during the reveal was cable. Anyone with Directv knows how slowly their stuff loads via the satellite. The Xbox can't magically make that communication work faster.

nib95

Banned
I agree with everyone that says you kind of expect this to be the case, and most people noticed it wasn't real time.

...But then, they shouldn't have focused SO MUCH on saying "see? see how fast that was?". That part is sleazy, in my opinion. It's one thing to show the concept of what you are aiming for, it's another to highlight how fast it is when it's nothing of the sort.

That's the bit I have an issue with. "Did you see how fast that was?" or whatever just seems so disingenuous now. Then again, it is Microsoft. That entire reveal and everything there after was full of deception and PR fluff.

GamerJM

Banned
Wait, did the chick in that video say "We've come a long way in seven months"? What's the significance of seventh months? I mean, they have to had begun development before that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've never seen that video before. Kinect being as awesome/snappy as it is was one of the best things the X1 had going for it. SMFH. Way to continue your streak of disappointments, MS.

At least the depth sensing and real time processing are still pretty good. But this is just... SMH.

Into

Well that basketball game they had going on was Knicks vs Washington or some other team that did not make the playoffs, that match happened in the regular season, we have been having playoff games for a while now, the NBA game was not live.

Not that i blame them really, they cannot risk having to show the console live and having it malfunction or not be fast, sure its false advertising but they better hope they can fix whatever problems they have

FlyFaster

lol I watched the wired video.

good luck playing a game, watching a tv show and trying to Skype. The system looked like was was chugging just trying to snap a small window over the UI.

they have a lot of work to do.

It is also incredibly disingenuous of them to fake the entire presentation.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
The original in game dashboard was trash in PGR3, and look how amazing it is now. I am confident they will surpass whatever they showed during that presentation.

Jb

Good news is we're going to have a second round of demos at E3 to see how much worse the OS is in its current state. But if they went for an Apple/SUrface type event I really thought they had stuff like the UI nailed down.

Amir0x

Banned
I'll repost what I asked in the last thread: not surprising that the UI was faked, as I'm sure it was with the PS4 demo in Feb. What is surprising is that they started work on the Xbox OS back in November 2012 ("we've come a long way in seven months.") which means they'll have barely a year to have the Xbox OS done. Is that a standard amount of time for a console OS or does that seem really short to anyone else? Especially an OS as complex as this one?

Well, I think a lot of the ground concepts were probably given them a good headstart considering the infrastructure that is in place with Xbox 360 OS currently. Not that this completely makes up for the time, but it is at least slightly better

Guevara

That Wired clip is pretty damning. It's jittery as fuck and not much is going on. They do have some time to improve it though.

dem

I assumed it was all prerecorded until the dude said something like

"Yes.. it really is that fast!"

And then I was like.. Holy shit. Thats amazing.

Hopefully it is ironed out by the time its released.

Doesn't look bad in the wired video that OP posts.

Some of the guide elements look real chuggy, like the Netflix App is on 360. Crazier still though is that picture in picture during the guide. The video in the corner looks like its running at a few frames a second. There's no way they could put that out.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Not surprised that the stuff on stage was faked but it's really sad and shocking hearing that it's in such bad shape with so much of the hardware resources dedicated to it.

Top Bottom