• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Revision and probably a NEW Xbox outed by FCC Filings

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Excatly. The market has shifted, and I think people are really underestimating 4k. You cant buy a TV in the midrange that isn't 4k, and with 4k you need hdmi2.0 and hdcp2.2.

I think a lot of posters in the ps4k and nextbox thread keep downplaying 4k. It's here, just like 1080p was in 2008

if it was a mid-life shrink with a slightly updated HDMI chip and UHD drive, launching at the same price as the current XB1/PS4 then I think there wouldn't be nearly the uproar we've seen. That is all coming from the 'oh no the sky is falling because some games might be better on the new machine'.

Personally if they do a refresh for 4k, I also hope they take the opportunity to do a cost reduction for those that don't give a shit. Why should mainstream consumers be paying more for a UHD drive and extra grunt for 4k stuff if they don't want to? Bring out two - the 4k one and a simple shrink for $100 less.

Zojirushi

Fuuly expect to get two announcements at E3, an XBO slim, and an XB2. The slim will allow them to either be more profitable with the XBO at $300, or it will allow them to comfortably drop to $250. I see the XB2 to launch this fall for $400-$500. I suppose they could wait and have a separate event for the XB2 in July, but I definitely think it's coming this year.

You're talking full on new non backwards compatible Xbox this year? I highly doubt that.

Primary goal was probably: NO RED RING

Yeah, for sure. I'd rather have a mildly larger footprint to ensure both decent amount of chip and a quiet, cool performance to keep lifespan up. PS4 is nice and compact 'n all, but damned if it doesn't get almost PS3-loud at times...and I clean that shit out on the regular.

If there's really a new spec-upgraded X1 model on the way, I wonder how much MS management thinks performance crown matters relative to a similarly upgraded PS4 considering the two and a half years of negativity they've received about the difference between current models. I hope they just make a less expensive original model and price it lower to capture budget buyers because I think that matters most in the long run, but I think MS sees PSVR as a big hole for themselves, so they might be tempted to go big with a relatively expensive Oculus-ready X1 to go for the higher end market.

AerialAir

Banned
If they'd learnt anything with sony, they would put their massive transformer inside the console. But no, they didn't do it with the 360 revision, they won't do it now, especially with the slim course they are absolutely taking.

AmyS

I'm not interested in an XBO Slim, but would definitely be interested in an XB2 if it offered a good price/performance value and Rift support.

Bsigg12

If they'd learnt anything with sony, they would put their massive transformer inside the console. But no, they didn't do it with the 360 revision, they won't do it now, especially with the slim course they are absolutely taking.

To be fair, my power unit on my Xbox One went out and rather than having to send my entire console in to get it fixed, I just ordered a new brick. It was a very quick and painless thing to replace. Keeping it out of the system also allows it to stay extremely quiet.

singhr1

Primary goal was probably: NO RED RING

For sure, its a super conservative design. The best part about it is the silence. I'm glad they prioritized functionality over looks this gen because really... who cares outside of the first 3 minutes about how a console looks... especially when I don't even use the disc loader.

The only problem with the current Xbox is its heavy and hard to move around, say if you are bringing it to a friend's house. This slim could solve that problem, hopefully by retaining its low noise levels.

Surface material or bust.

That'd be so great... but a waste. You're not holding your surface all day like you are a console. They need to lower the cost not increase it :p

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
I don't want a slim model with the same specs like the current xbox one, just give me the next xbox with a proper hardware.The e3 will tell.

I'm not interested in an XBO Slim, but would definitely be interested in an XB2 if it offered a good price/performance value and Rift support.
I think the same.

Surface material or bust.

I still wonder why we still haven't seen an X1 Surface (Win10 tablet-laptop+X1+touch display+integrated X1 wireless receiver) already. Seems like it might be possible sooner than later with the joining together of Win 10 and Xbox software and services...

Izuna

Banned
Calling it now.

One is just the same exact Xbox One just made with new (cheaper) parts. Another is nothing to do with Xbox.

Quote me in the future.

eh.... idk...

whats-included-xbox-one-ps4-580-90.jpg

PS4_vs_XboxOne_size_01.jpg

It is grossly huge when compared to the two other current gen consoles.

I believe the xbox one was designed in a way so it could stay on and have maximum air flow 24/7 which caused the design to be very big (and safe from overheating) but a smaller model would be welcome.

Doffen

That'd be so great... but a waste. You're not holding your surface all day like you are a console. They need to lower the cost not increase it :p

They could at least release an elite version with the Surface material for us design snobs :p

garyizraw

Banned
A Xbox one slim sounds nice but I'd rather trade in my current day one edition for the Xbox 1.5 or the Xbox One X

(Making up a name for this thing deserves a tread, going to be hard to avoid confusion in the marketplace)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Here's an overview, directly from FCC, of dates when these documents will be available:

C3K1682

fccidw7umj.png

C3K1683

fccid_16833zud9.png

Excellent find as always, ekim.

Ushay

Good find OP, would have liked something juicier then this like GPU/CPU. But something is better than nothing.

Somehow I doubt a new wireless is the only thing being redone. If I had to guess they would do a redesigned X1 and X1+ model for enthusiasts.

rrs

The Xbox One was a part of MS's big plans to take over the cable box market, which ended in a completely predictable diaster. For this reason is why the the console is dang huge, along with avoiding heat issues for good.

Gator86

I believe the xbox one was designed in a way so it could stay on and have maximum air flow 24/7 which caused the design to be very big (and safe from overheating) but a smaller model would be welcome.

Love the current big model. It's completely silent and doesn't sound like it's going to explode if a disc is in the drive. My PS4, already my second one, is basically digital only because the drive sounds like it's about to eat every disc.

Yoday

You're talking full on new non backwards compatible Xbox this year? I highly doubt that.
I didn't say that. Their model going forward is pretty clearly going to be centered around full compatibility for all devices until developers choose to phase out the oldest one. IMO the traditional console cycle died when Sony and MS adopted X86.

Rellik

wow is this some sorta known issue? Currently playing my Xbox One from a good 8 foot away and no issues, and it never has had issues.

I have no idea because I have never had that issue either.

I wouldn't say it's a huge issue, but there have been people having wireless issues since day 1.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=978188

There's people in that thread who fixed it by opening up their Xbox and replacing the wireless chip themselves. So I can see why MS would want to change it when they had the chance to make a revision or they've decided to cheapen the other parts.

Personally, mine has mostly been fine. I've had a few disconnects during games, but it's not become a problem for me.

S.Holmes

Banned
I guess I'm one of the very few who absolutely loves the X1 design. I think it matches perfectly in sync with the rest of my setup.

Peltz

Eh... I'd rather have external power bricks and a less hot console. Power bricks never bothered me.

I love the Wii and Wii U because of how whisper quiet and cool they run.

Trup1aya

I already have an Xbox, but I'd take an Xbox slim with no blue ray, and a tiny HDD (I'd use an external), and no Kinect support ... If the price is right. It would basically be used as a STB and a way to play my games if my living room is taken.

But I need to get a ps4 first.

jelly

I hope the new Xbox is something that reminds me of the quality of the Surface Pro 4 and the Surface Book. Both devices are incredible.

Yeah but look at the price. Keep it cheap, well designed and built. There is cheap plastic then there is cheap plastic, looking at Playstation materials. Premium quality were it matters like an Controller/Elite controller option is what Microsoft should stick to. Just don't hit rock bottom on the console.

Chitown B

I don't understand why anyone cares. Once it's on your rack it's on your rack. It just sits there. I rarely even mess with it since I have all digital games. Who cares how incrementally big or small it is.

Bsigg12

Yeah but look at the price. Keep it cheap, well designed and built. There is cheap plastic then there is cheap plastic, looking at Playstation materials. Premium quality were it matters like an Controller/Elite controller option is what Microsoft should stick to. Just don't hit rock bottom on the console.

Absolutely. It's not a device we hold everyday so it doesn't need to a good "feel" to it but I want it to look good and perform even better and keep it in the $400 range.

JaggedSac

Xbox STB?

Could be.

Not sure which way would be best for them to go with a cheaper set top box though. Using the XBox name would imply heavy gaming focus but if they want to compete in the STB market they would need to be around $100 which hamstrings the gaming capabilities. I would imaging they would go with a new Win10 branded device for a STB.

Definitely looks like they have a new Bone design and some new xbox branded hardware.

This VHS recorder could definitely use a redesign.

I prefer the boxy, component look personally. Looks nice when sitting in my entertainment center. I don't care for console designs that look like goofy pieces of modern art, but I'm over 40 so I'm sure that plays a part.

All this talk of PS4K and Xbox OneS, I've really been thinking that we'll see a minor improvement in terms of APU, Xbox improves RAM available to create parity between itself and PS4, HDMI supports newer 4K standard and scaler for 4K support.

Major revisions and 60FPS updates seem unrealistic and that's why my guess would go on the APU upgrade path which would result in some moderate upgrades to the power.

Quote this post yadda yadda yadda :p

Chitown B

The result of the external PSU is that it is more quiet than the PS4. I don't agree with the decision, but I can see why they made it.

I'm surprised you'd call it "ugly". It's pretty neutral, in my opinion.

I really hope when they change the PS4 they arrange it so the fan doesn't spin up like crazy when anything is playing. I can't even play a quiet game without headphones without the high pitched whirring bugging the crap out of me. And my PS4 is in a cabinet!!

I prefer the boxy, component look personally. Looks nice when sitting in my entertainment center. I don't care for console designs that look like goofy pieces of modern art, but I'm over 40 so I'm sure that plays a part.

word. Case in point:

bolt-front-100619935-orig.jpg

Top Bottom