• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Revision and probably a NEW Xbox outed by FCC Filings

RootCause

I'd really like an Xbox 1.5
Also, keep the system large, and most importantly, the power brick.

Don't really care about aesthetics when it comes to gaming consoles, I'm more worried about heat, and longevity.

ekim

I'd really like an Xbox 1.5
Also, keep the system large, and most importantly, the power brick.

Don't really care about aesthetics when it comes to gaming consoles, I'm more worried about heat, and longevity.

Yupp. The console is just standing there. I don't want to look at it. It must be as unobtrusive as possible.

Some more information:
the potential revision (1683) is using the following chip from MediaTek:
http://www.mediatek.com/en/products/connectivity/wifi/broadband/usb/mt7612u/

the other machine (1682) this one:
http://www.mediatek.com/en/products/connectivity/wifi/consumer-electronics1/mt7632/

The first one seems to be a "Wi-Fi dongle solution" which is odd but It could be still possible it is just internally connected via USB in a potential Slim model.

phil said there would NOT be an Xbox one.5
but if they do one it will be a big upgrade

NIGHT-

I've never had an issue with how the XB1 looks or it's size. It fit's nicely in my entertainment set-up, it matches the rest of my gear, it runs whisper quiet and never gets hot. I suspect that 90% of the people who poke fun at it, don't own one. Do you?

I actually find the design far superior than the ps4, which looks cheap as hell

what do you mean by that?

Maybe I didn't word that right but what I meant is, this information doesn't really give us much in terms of if there are upgrades to it as well.

It would be a huge let down and definitely not a good look if MS simply introduces a slim model with no hardware improvements but Sony does do that. I certainly am not interested in buying Xbox One again just for a smaller model, it sits fine right where it is now. Give me a good reason to buy it again and that can really only be better hardware for me.

jelly

Whatever this thing is, and future X Boxes are being designed by Panos Panay correct?

He is head of the Microsoft hardware teams which includes Xbox, Surface, phone, accessories etc.

I don't know if he could talk about an Xbox console like he does for Surface but it would be cool, great speaker and hype man.

Mihalis0013

Neo Member
Is anyone considering that this might be a media streaming device similar to a Roku? I believe MS was working on one such thing awhile back and scrapped it or shelved it. If the FCC stuff is all about the wireless card maybe that's more the direction they're going?

Maybe I didn't word that right but what I meant is, this information doesn't really give us much in terms of if there are upgrades to it as well.

It would be a huge let down and definitely not a good look if MS simply introduces a slim model with no hardware improvements but Sony does do that. I certainly am not interested in buying Xbox One again just for a smaller model, it sits fine right where it is now. Give me a good reason to buy it again and that can really only be better hardware for me.
maybe they should both just do slim consoles with the same hardware (as usual). how's that?

KORNdoggy

I've never had an issue with how the XB1 looks or it's size. It fit's nicely in my entertainment set-up, it matches the rest of my gear, it runs whisper quiet and never gets hot. I suspect that 90% of the people who poke fun at it, don't own one. Do you?

i own one...it looks like a VHS player. i'm sorry but it just does, all while needing an external power supply.

hopefully the slim has it all built in and looking at lease half nice.

jelly

Is anyone considering that this might be a media streaming device similar to a Roku? I believe MS was working on one such thing awhile back and scrapped it or shelved it. If the FCC stuff is all about the wireless card maybe that's more the direction they're going?

Possibly, they can't really compete with cheap streaming sticks with a console price but it also might be too competitive at that level but it may be another avenue to kick starting their App Store if they get all the streaming apps to jump across all devices.

farisr

The Xbox One is an ugly console for sure. I wouldn't mind if it didn't have a power brick but it does. I expect a slim design to be announced at E3 and the new, beefier console next year.
The console being so big despite there being a power brick is what really ticks me off about the Xbox One design. I don't mind the design of the box itself.

Chitown B

Not gonna happen.

Why not? They could sell both versions. Plus saying just because something doesn't take discs doesn't mean stores wouldn't stock them - what about Tivo's and Roku's and iPhones, etc? Those don't have media shelves in stores either.

Dunlop

I actually find the design far superior than the ps4, which looks cheap as hell
This, I never get when people talk down about the xb1 design and then refer to the ps4 which might look nice in pictures but the build quality between the 2 is night and day.

jelly

I wonder if they'll introduce proprietary hard drives again, well the case enclosure for the hard drive like 360. I know they ripped you off but easy access was good. I just got the enclosure and a hard drive for the none price gouging price.

Xbox One slim with the power supply inside. All matte please.

Or there really is an Xbox 10 coming.
This is trademarked by 10k, referencing the Xbox one enhanced for 4K media and built on oculus support. Matches the windows version name. Backwards compatible with all Xbox One games. Not a new generation. Just an optional sku to play games at a higher visual fidelity.

I definitely hope this happens. At first I got excited when I saw it was trademarked. Then I realized it was just your name...

Chitown B

The console being so big despite there being a power brick is what really ticks me off about the Xbox One design. I don't mind the design of the box itself.

did you like RROD's last gen? Because that's what the large form factor is fixing. Air flow, cooling. Who cares what it looks like? It's probably on a shelf or in a cabinet.

Xbox One slim with the power supply inside. All matte please.

Or there really is an Xbox 10 coming.
This is trademarked by 10k, referencing the Xbox one enhanced for 4K media and built on oculus support. Matches the windows version name. Backwards compatible with all Xbox One games. Not a new generation. Just an optional sku to play games at a higher visual fidelity.

Not bad. 9/10.

A la PSTV? I could jump on that.

Its not hyperbole, the console is huge.

Donald Trump has ruined this word for me. I can't even read it without hearing him say it now.

Wiped89

Like when? In the 90's? It's definitely the ugliest current console. And the functional design (with the separate power brick) is just bizarre compared to the PS4.

Yup. It's massive. I just got an Xbox One this week and I'm shocked how big it is, with that massive power brick.

My tv unit is 2.4 metres wide and has large spaces for me to put consoles in. The Xbox One JUST fits inside the section with the power plug next to it. All the others fitted fine.

Bert

Well...congrats on that. Just saying, not everyone doesn't like how the XB1 looks, and I stand by my opinion that most people who like to say it's ugly or looks like a VCR, don't own one. Anyway, the whole VCR joke is kinda 2013' isn't it? It's time to move on.

In a John Olivier/Trumps tiny hands way, you seem oddly protective of the XBO design and that just makes me want to say it looks like a VCR.

If we are still using duct tape gags for Nintendo consoles, I think this one has a fair way to run.

farisr

did you like RROD's last gen? Because that's what the large form factor is fixing. Air flow, cooling. Who cares what it looks like? It's probably on a shelf or in a cabinet.
No I didn't, and my PS3 slim didn't get any RROD, nor is my PS4 showing any problems. Nor did the ps2 have any problems, nor did the OG Xbox have any problems either.

It also makes the console a pain to move or take with you somewhere as well.

It'd be understandable if it was packing higher spec hardware, but the ps4 is more powerful, smaller and doesn't have a power brick, and has had no RROD-like issues.

The console should not be this big if it has an external power brick. Period.

Tntnico

Great work OP ! Thank you !

Really hope this mean new upgraded console and a new cheaper model would be neat. Can't wait for E3.

Sir TapTap

Surface material or bust.

A full magnesium console would be amazing...I super doubt it though. No drop risk on a console and it's not as "premium" either. I'd pay a bit of a premium myself though just because, goddamn, it's nice on the surface.

Bgamer90

Banned
Nice work. I would be interested in a slimmer Xbox One.

The console is big but I don't think it's ugly -- especially since it looks like all of my other A/V equipment (e.g.: my receiver) and doesn't really stick out like a "video game toy".

This was (obviously) the look Microsoft was going for with the Xbox One. I do feel that the PS4 has a better design though.

dose

I didn't realise that poking fun at something you don't own is not allowed and should be disregarded.

Top Bottom