• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Revision and probably a NEW Xbox outed by FCC Filings

Chitown B

No I didn't, and my PS3 slim didn't get any RROD, nor is my PS4 showing any problems. Nor did the ps2 have any problems, nor did the OG Xbox have any problems either.

It also makes the console a pain to move or take with you somewhere as well.

It'd be understandable if it was packing higher spec hardware, but the ps4 is more powerful, smaller and doesn't have a power brick, and has had no RROD-like issues.

The console should not be this big if it has an external power brick. Period.

And the PS4 sounds like a dental drill with its fans, and it gets hot. The X1 stays cool and is silent.

If you're lugging around your X1 everywhere I don't know what to tell you - but a slightly smaller version isn't going to alter that situation much for you.

Bizzquik

Xbox One slim. Dev kit talk is abound if an Xbox 1.5 is out there..

Well said.
I keep seeing people talk about PS4K and XB1.5 as if they're joined at the hip, but the only leaks we hear about are of Sony's new version.

Aside from Phil Spencer's oblique reference to a potential hardware revision in late February, I don't think we've heard one credible iota about an upgraded Xbox One.

In each thread, I keep asking people to show me the evidence - and no one ever replies. I'm not trying to be a prick, I really just want a reason to believe its real. I want an XB1.5 this holiday!

ekim

Well said.
I keep seeing people talk about PS4K and XB1.5 as if they're joined at the hip, but the only leaks we hear about are of Sony's new version.

Aside from Phil Spencer's oblique reference to a potential hardware revision in late February, I don't think we've heard one credible iota about an upgraded Xbox One.

In each thread, I keep asking people to show me the evidence - and no one ever replies. I'm not trying to be a prick, I really just want a reason to believe its real. I want an XB1.5 this holiday!

I hear you. I have the same view on this, that's why looked around for some proof. But I guess we will have to wait for 100% certainty

bronk

Banned
Just sold my 1tb xbone whew. Maybe I would have have got less money if people started to catch wind of this.

Proelite

How are they going to make the Mobo smaller? Don't they'll still need 16 chips with ddr4?

Nvm they have 64-bit bus ddr4.

EvB

1682 mentions this...

YCtIeF1.png

Also, the thing they are testing is part of this chip
http://www.mediatek.com/en/products/connectivity/wifi/consumer-electronics1/mt7632/

The 1683 application uses this one

MT7612U
Which is a USB dongle version of the same thing.

At A guess, the new Xbox has faster WiFI, and they will release it as an accessory for the older models also,

I hear you. I have the same view on this, that's why looked around for some proof. But I guess we will have to wait for 100% certainty

And that would really suck and can't possibly be good for MS. Of course it depends on how people are going to react if Sony indeed announces a PS4K. But if those stories are true, those versus videos are going to be truly terrible.

ekim

1682 mentions this...

YCtIeF1.png

Also, the thing they are testing is part of this chip
http://www.mediatek.com/en/products/connectivity/wifi/consumer-electronics1/mt7632/

The 1683 application uses this one

MT7612U
Which is a USB dongle version of the same thing.

At A guess, the new Xbox has faster WiFI, and they will release it as an accessory for the older models also,

I think they will just use the USB dongle thing internally to connect it to an USB3 port to save on costs with off-the-shelve HW. But you could also be correct.

The Base and Premium thing catched my eye as well but I didn't know what to do with this.

EvB

I think they will just use the USB dongle thing internally to connect it to an USB3 port to save on costs with off-the-shelve HW. But you could also be correct.

The Base and Premium thing catched my eye as well but I didn't know what to do with this.

I'd say that because of those documents

1683 is MT7612U (Dongle Solution) but is also referring users to Generic safety information about Wireless device usage in an existing Xbox One manual
1682 is using the MT7632, and perhaps because it is in a new machine, it will have new documents that refer to it by it's name.

However the documents refer to the 1683 as
dual-band wireless accessory radio

and 1682 as
802.11a/b/g/n(/ac) 2T2R dual-band wireless LAN radio

So perhaps the first one is something specific to wireless controllers, perhaps even what is in a pad itself

jelly

Microsoft want more of an obvious clean break with a substantial boost in performance because Xbox One has a lot of baggage and bad PR so I don't think they are in any rush to follow Sony. BC is a given on either platform but while Sony can leverage the PS4 name, Microsoft hasn't got that with Xbox One so they'll support that but not so much front and centre or as the main brand, their new Xbox brand will reset things, and hopefully be more enticing to consumers. Microsoft's best option for now is cheaper Xbox One, great games, features, build up momentum towards a great successor with full BC for Xbox One games.

Bizzquik

And that would really suck and can't possibly be good for MS. Of course it depends on how people are going to react if Sony indeed announces a PS4K. But if those stories are true, those versus videos are going to be truly terrible.

I respectfully disagree with you, Tatsumi Oga.

If I'm Microsoft, I'm thinking its a huge problem to finish this holiday with the XB1 ending as the 4th place finisher:
[1] PS4K
[2] regular PS4
[3] Nintendo NX
[4] Microsoft Xbox One

And that's to say nothing of the media tech storm coming with virtual reality, which will be huge topic this Christmas: PSVR, Oculus Rift and HTC Vive. Forget sales, Microsoft isn't even going to capture mind-share.

ekim

I'd say that because of those documents

1683 is MT7612U (Dongle Solution) but is also referring users to Generic safety information about Wireless device usage in an existing Xbox One manual
1682 is using the MT7632, and perhaps because it is in a new machine, it will have new documents that refer to it by it's name.

However the documents refer to the 1683 as
dual-band wireless accessory radio

and 1682 as
802.11a/b/g/n(/ac) 2T2R dual-band wireless LAN radio

So perhaps the first one is something specific to wireless controllers, perhaps even what is in a pad itself

So you think they will also release a new controller? Hm...

ekim

If I'm Microsoft, I'm thinking its a huge problem to finish this holiday with the XB1 ending as the 4th place finisher:
[1] PS4K
[2] regular PS4
[3] Nintendo NX
[4] Microsoft Xbox One

And that's to say nothing of the media tech storm coming with virtual reality, which will be huge topic this Christmas: PSVR, Oculus Rift and HTC Vive. Forget sales, Microsoft isn't even going to capture mind-share.

Yeah. Declining sales, no VR solution, least powerful machine. MS must react even if they make a loss with every box sold. I don't know what type of specs are possible in a 399-499 dollar machine but without Kinect and eating some costs, I guess they can go for a 4-5x increase in power and thus support Oculus Rift.

Hawk269

Yeah. Declining sales, no VR solution, least powerful machine. MS must react even if they make a loss with every box sold. I don't know what type of specs are possible in a 399-499 dollar machine but without Kinect and eating some costs, I guess they can go for a 4-5x increase in power and thus support Oculus Rift.
With MS having one deal with Oculus and having the Xbox One controller in each Rift and MS having another deal with HTC being in MS stores for demo, I am thinking if a new console that has the power to support VR that MS is positioning themselves to support both the Vive and the Rift. Giving consumers the option on which headset to go with.

Of course figuring out the eco system for each headset may be tricky, but they figured out how to do 360 BC, they can figure out this one as well.

ekim

With MS having one deal with Oculus and having the Xbox One controller in each Rift and MS having another deal with HTC being in MS stores for demo, I am thinking if a new console that has the power to support VR that MS is positioning themselves to support both the Vive and the Rift. Giving consumers the option on which headset to go with.

Of course figuring out the eco system for each headset may be tricky, but they figured out how to do 360 BC, they can figure out this one as well.

But everyone involved uses their own store and wants their cut on sold content. This is probably going to be a complicated deal.

jelly

[1] PS4K
[2] regular PS4
[3] Nintendo NX
[4] Microsoft Xbox One

What does it matter though. This isn't a race to the finish line, there isn't one. Why go now when VR is in it's very expensive infancy and new hardware innovations are just showing up or about to. People already choose PlayStation more than Xbox, a more powerful Xbox isn't going to turn heads to the point they sell millions more Xbox 4K than PS4 or PS4K. Microsoft just need to get their stuff together. execute a plan when the time is right. A year or so later isn't going to destroy them and a bigger Xbox One user base and momentum is way more valuable for the time being.

-hadouken

And the functional design (with the separate power brick) is just bizarre compared to the PS4.

The quiet, cool operation afforded by the size of the box (and seperate brick) is my fav feature of the 'bone. Lack of fan noise takes me back to the classic console era.

Interfectum

I'm curious how MS plans to compete with Sony this fall. Seems to me Sony has the momentum and the VR hype going in to Christmas. They've also got an answer for MS with PS4k should MS introduce a more powerful console. Not even mentioning the Nintendo NX here.

Just seems like MS is in a weird position right now and I'm expecting some pretty radical announcements from them to shake things up (crazy low price, massive system power, Steam compatible, something).

Hawk269

But everyone involved uses their own store and wants their cut on sold content. This is probably going to be a complicated deal.
That is why I said it would be tricky. I don't see it as an impossible thing Bu very tricky and to your point each platform wanting their piece of the pie with there own store fronts. Perhaps there I a HTC app and a Rift App that loads up a Store for each?

rokkerkory

thank goodness all the former execs are gone now

no more TV nonsense just make it the most powerful gaming machine ala xbox OG and 360

[1] PS4K
[2] regular PS4
[3] Nintendo NX
[4] Microsoft Xbox One

I'm not sure in what way you are disagreeing with me, because I can agree with you that a fourth place for MS can't be good and can't be what they want. I'm just going to take myself for example, big Xbox fan for sure and the differences between the two consoles weren't big enough for me to chose PS4 over Xbox One. And I don't have a PS4 yet and i am now definitely waiting for E3 now too see what Sony announces. Let's say all the stuff is true about 2x GPU etc, I can no longer ignore those differences anymore and that PS4K will become my main console. But I dont want that, so I hope MS will keep up.

ekim

That is why I said it would be tricky. I don't see it as an impossible thing Bu very tricky and to your point each platform wanting their piece of the pie with there own store fronts. Perhaps there I a HTC app and a Rift App that loads up a Store for each?

Yeah a dedicated app is sure one way but MS has no real benefit out of this other than having the cheapest VR capable machine with the most options. I don't know if this will make enough people buy the console.

Chitown B

[1] PS4K
[2] regular PS4
[3] Nintendo NX
[4] Microsoft Xbox One

There's no way PS4K is going to best regular PS4 sales unless the price is close to PS4. And the NX will not come out this year, IMO. Plus even if it did, Nintendo console sales have been dismal since about 2010. Xbox will have Gears 4 for the holiday.

Y'know, I hate to be the no fun allowed guy - but I actually miss the days before i followed tech as seriously as I do now and stuff was actually a surprise when it ended up being announced / released.

Insider knowledge has its own appeal, but I feel like a certain magic is gone these days when everything is leaked/spoiled/internet detective'd etc

There's no way PS4K is going to best regular PS4 sales unless the price is close to PS4. And the NX will not come out this year, IMO. Plus even if it did, Nintendo console sales have been dismal since about 2010. Xbox will have Gears 4 for the holiday.

I also think it's unlikely that PS4K is this year. I'm more inclined to believe the early 2017 rumor than this year. Let PS4 have it's last big holiday by itself, and then let PS4K take over in 2017. But who knows...

I suspect if the XB1 "Next"/"+"/"turbo!" is real, we won't see it in 2016 - and maybe not until later in 2017. That would align well with the fact that there have been no leaks from devs about an upgraded XB1 (like what we're seeing with the PS4K).

farisr

And the PS4 sounds like a dental drill with its fans, and it gets hot. The X1 stays cool and is silent.
While the PS4 is louder, it isn't that much louder. Unless you have it in an enclosed space with something on top of it or something. And again, the ps4 gets a pass on those things from me due to its small size, better capabilities, and no power brick.

If you're lugging around your X1 everywhere I don't know what to tell you - but a slightly smaller version isn't going to alter that situation much for you.
It doesn't get moved around everywhere because of the reasons I stated, and as a result rarely gets used. And you're right, a slightly smaller version won't alter that situation much for me. But if it gets rid of the power brick, it'll make a big difference.

Frankly to me, a power brick is only acceptable if the console/device itself is small in some way.

Hawk269

Yeah a dedicated app is sure one way but MS has no real benefit out of this other than having the cheapest VR capable machine with the most options. I don't know if this will make enough people buy the console.
If MS is going to have Rift and or Vive support I see them having MS made games for them as well. Forza 6 VR Edition and other titles.

daveo42

Banned
So X1.5 and XS filings? Wonder if we will get word on both come E3 this year.

Sure, but my launch unit Xbox One doesn't sound like a jet engine when playing games. My 20th Anniversary PS4 just cranks up and is loud as shit.

Neither does my launch PS4. Maybe your console just needs to be cleaned.

Bsigg12

So you think they will also release a new controller? Hm...

That's the impression I got from the 1682 filing. It seems like they are updating the controller again. I wonder if it'll offer surround sound through the headset wirelessly so they needed to update the radios?

Neither does my launch PS4. Maybe your console just needs to be cleaned.

I keep my systems and PC pretty damn clean. My PS4 has been like that since I got it.

ShapeGSX

While the PS4 is louder, it isn't that much louder. Unless you have it in an enclosed space with something on top of it or something. And again, the ps4 gets a pass on those things from me due to its small size, better capabilities, and no power brick.

It doesn't get moved around everywhere because of the reasons I stated, and as a result rarely gets used. And you're right, a slightly smaller version won't alter that situation much for me. But if it gets rid of the power brick, it'll make a big difference.

Frankly to me, a power brick is only acceptable if the console/device itself is small in some way.

I think your case is pretty rare. I don't doubt that some small percentage of people do move their consoles often.

Personally, I plug them in once and never move them. These aren't portable consoles. My 65" TV isn't portable, either. :p Give me silence, please. Microsoft has the right priority for the majority in this case.

Top Bottom