• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Revision and probably a NEW Xbox outed by FCC Filings

leeh

Here is where the original WiFi chip was positioned:

This is how it looks:

Compare to the new chip - the holes are different and thus support the idea of a new box.

untitleda8sbz.png
Never knew the WiFi chip was external to the board. Makes complete sense since it's essentially wrapped in a Faraday cage.

Doing some fine work there, can't wait for E3.

ekim

Never knew the WiFi chip was external to the board. Makes complete sense since it's essentially wrapped in a Faraday cage.

Doing some fine work there, can't wait for E3.

Yeah. Wifi chip is mostly isolated from the SOC PCB.

TBiddy

If the intention is to replace the OG XB1 rather than sell them alongside each other (apart from clearing old stock) then a rename is probably unnecessary. The "S" or "Slim" or whatever might be handy to refer to in the context of GAF conversations, but isn't really useful outside the enthusiast market.

I think there would have to be some sort of differentation in the naming between the models.

Depending, of course, on if it's just a "Slim" model or if it's a new generation of the XB1.

ekim

I think there would have to be some sort of differentation in the naming between the models.

Depending, of course, on if it's just a "Slim" model or if it's a new generation of the XB1.

Selling a more powerful machine with the same name is suicide.

MysteryM

I can't see them announcing anything more than an xbox slim this year given that its not even been two and a half years since the xbox one was released.

Microsoft revealed the xbox one just before E3 and then released in November of that year, they can't be releasing a new higher spec xbox one this year, and therefore it has to just be a slim.

If they do have a new machine coming then its E3 next year at the bare minimum.

Yoday

Nope. But I can't imagine them "just" releasing a slim model. (Or at least I hope so)
Especially not after the way Phil has been talking. Curious thing that could be nothing, but the FCC listing NDA on the second mystery device expiring right around when we are supposed to be getting the big Windows 10 Anniversary Update seems almost too coincidental. It just so happens to be the update that is supposed to be bringing UWP support to XBox as well as merging the Xbox and Windows 10 stores.

EvB

I can't see them announcing anything more than an xbox slim this year given that its not even been two and a half years since the xbox one was released.

Microsoft revealed the xbox one just before E3 and then released in November of that year, they can't be releasing a new higher spec xbox one this year, and therefore it has to just be a slim.

They announced the 360s at E3 and it was in retail the following week. Other electronics firms don't officially announce their products until after they have hit mass production.
360 was announced at E3 and launched the same year.

It's not without precedent and as you can see from the documents Ekim has found, some of the dates within refer back to last year, so it's not as if they just started working on this today.

Raide

Xbox Slim with some tweaks to CPU and GPU would be a nice mid upgrade. Stable 1080p and capability for 4k content could be pumped out at a moderate price and then wait it out for the actual Xbox Two upgrade.

Hey, ekim, you should have mentioned that gamepro.de was your source.

Those realizing that gamepro.de's news from today (who's author thought it's unnecessary to name any sources for "his" findings) was written after ekim's post here... well, thatwasthejoke.gif.

ekim

Hey, ekim, you should have mentioned that gamepro.de was your source.

Those realizing that gamepro.de's news from today (who's author thought it's unnecessary to name any sources for "his" findings) was written after ekim's post here... well, thatwasthejoke.gif.

This is not the first time and I had Gamestar subscribed for 7 years. Those were good times.

Alx

From all names that I've read in the last days it's the one that makes the most sense.

Yes, and it would please marketers and engineers alike. Because there are only 10 types of people.
Those who understand binary, and those who don't. :p

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I wouldn't be surprised if a marketing guy on their team wants numerical parity in the name. I think their are better names like Xbox Next, Xbox 10 or Xbox One Pro

For sure, but this gets them in line with Sony so they don't need to come up with stupid names in the future. It would also be the 4th real Xbox console too.

Chitown B

An Xbox One revision at this point makes an incredible amount of sense. The console currently available was designed for a totally different skillset which, although quickly abandoned before/after launch, is still hampering Microsofts market share and brand image.

A new xbox 1.5/slim/whatever is needed for a multitude of reasons. To name a few:

1. A fresh, new start. New marketing, games and features that showcase Microsoft is taking the console in a new direction.
2. Remove redundant features like HDMI in, maybe even the Kinect port.
3. Implement a slimmer, more cost effective design.
4. Upgrade CPU, GPU to improve better gaming performance. At least 100% capable of 1080p, 60fps. Let alone 4k. Average gamer cares about this more than you think.
5. Potentially make the NEW Xbox One Occulus Rift/Hololens etc. compatable right out of the box.

E3 2016 is shaping up to be a very important expo for the entire industry. Could very well illustrate where Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo plan to take gaming to in the next decade.

"At least 100% capable of 1080p, 60fps"

This is up to the dev. It wouldn't change any past games either. It IS capable of that res and that fps, but it takes away from other things. Diablo III runs at 1080p/60 for instance. It's always a balancing game. Listen to a dev talk about it sometime.

HDMI in isn't "redundant" - did you mean some other word?

Average gamers don't have a clue what their games are running at. I'm an avid gamer and even I don't care. If it looks good, it looks good. I don't count pixels on my X1 or my PS4. Or my PC.

If Sony is, why not Microsoft as well? They are going to be left behind if they don't if the rumours about NX are true. In terms of hardware the Xbox One will be the weakest then. That can't be what MS wants.

Chitown B

If Sony is, why not Microsoft as well? They are going to be left behind if they don't if the rumours about NX are true. In terms of hardware the Xbox One will be the weakest then. That can't be what MS wants.

lol. remember when Wii U was going to be the most powerful console? With that bird demo?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Selling a more powerful machine with the same name is suicide.

If they're going the incremental upgrade path, they could keep the same naming as the 360.

Xbox One (base model)
Xbox One S (Slim, incremental upgrade)
Xbox One E (next incremental upgrade)
New Xbox

ekim

If they're going the incremental upgrade path, they could keep the same naming as the 360.

Xbox One (base model)
Xbox One S (Slim, incremental upgrade)
Xbox One E (next incremental upgrade)
New Xbox

But average joe thinks it's the normal Xbox One just more expensive. lol

lol. remember when Wii U was going to be the most powerful console? With that bird demo?

I see what you mean. A new Nintendo console actually being really up there with the others, but on the other hand why not? I just find it slightly worrying that we have plenty of details on hardware for both Sony and Nintendo and nothing in that sense on MS. It would be a goddamn stupid move to only bring a slim Xbox One with only a better WiFi.

Hawk269

I would love an aggressive name. Xbox Blast or Xbox Ultra. Getting that 90s console era vibe.

lmao...

Xbox Infinity
Xbox One 4k
Xbox 4k
Xbox The Real Genesis

Just a few!!!

So Ekim, where are we with all this info? Thread has grown a lot since I last checked, just wondering what the latest developments or whatever else you have dug up?

ekim

lmao...

Xbox Infinity
Xbox One 4k
Xbox 4k
Xbox The Real Genesis

Just a few!!!

So Ekim, where are we with all this info? Thread has grown a lot since I last checked, just wondering what the latest developments or whatever else you have dug up?

Well I found a photo of the chip at the Brazil FCC equivalent and some implications from it. (See somewhere on the last 2 pages)

Tom Warren (creamhackered here on gaf) teased an "updated Xbox One" here in this thread.

Errrm. That's it. :)

Hawk269

Well I found a photo of the chip at the Brazil FCC equivalent and some implications from it. (See somewhere on the last 2 pages)

Tom Warren (creamhackered here on gaf) teased an "updated Xbox One" here in this thread.

Errrm. That's it. :)

Thanks, but expected a bit more from someone with your pedigree. LOL!!!

Proelite

For the Xbox One revision. I wonder what they will do in terms of ram update. That's the key for making the box smaller.

They have the following options.

4 DDR3 chips. Cheapest option at the start.
4 DDR4 chips. Cheapest option down the line.
2 LPDDR4 chips. Priciest option but allows them to shrink the bus to 128 bit, and also allows for better standby power draw. Certainly the most difficult choice to replace the old chips from a hardware and software perspective.

As for the APU, i am assuming it'll be 14nm refresh?

JimiNutz

Banned
I had it on wireless and it was really bad before I decided to wire it.

The WiFi on mine is ok.
Significantly better than the WiFi on my PS4 that sits next to it. I can actually play the Xbox One online but PS4 is unplayable and has to be wired. My router is only in the room next door as well...

Luckily I can use a wire for both but the Xbox One wireless works perfectly well enough for me.

Top Bottom