• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Revision and probably a NEW Xbox outed by FCC Filings

MS would be stupid to let Sony bring out an even more powerful console which will run games much better than the Xbox One and not bring out a revised version themselves.

Put it this way, if Sony release a new console which looks extremely good graphically, and Microsoft do nothing, then I will be buying a PS4k and ditching my Xbox One.

I just don't see Microsoft allowing this to happen. It really wouldn't surprise me is Microsoft bring out a more powerful console than the PS4K, and a slim line model.

Pretty much this, even now with the NX > Ps4 rumors it would be stupid for microsoft
to stay behind in specs for too long.

btrboyev

Agreed.
I will be so disappointed if the reveal is just a smaller Xbox One.

These consoles are under-powered as it is....

So you wanna have MS split the market after 3 years and expect all One owners to upgrade? The idea of MS and Sony releasing more powerful hardware right now is very dangerous to their market. It could backfire. I for one will not buy either if they do it. I barely even touch my PS4 now.

MS would be stupid to let Sony bring out an even more powerful console which will run games much better than the Xbox One and not bring out a revised version themselves.

Put it this way, if Sony release a new console which looks extremely good graphically, and Microsoft do nothing, then I will be buying a PS4k and ditching my Xbox One.

I just don't see Microsoft allowing this to happen. It really wouldn't surprise me is Microsoft bring out a more powerful console than the PS4K, and a slim line model.

Unless Microsoft kills the xb1 early like the og Xbox and realeses a monster of a console in 2018.

pieface

So you wanna have MS split the market after 3 years and expect all One owners to upgrade? The idea of MS and Sony releasing more powerful hardware right now is very dangerous to their market. It could backfire. I for one will not buy either if they do it. I barely even touch my PS4 now.

And with you not buying it they've lost nothing. Plenty of people will buy an upgraded version, myself included. It's not really splitting the market if the same games run on both Xbox One and Xbox One.5.

Some people playing will have better graphics and frame rates but it's no different to PC gaming. I really don't understand why people think it's splitting the market. If there were games which ONLY ran on Xbox One.5 then yeah, you have a point. But I don't think even MS would be that stupid.

Maybe after 3 or so years they would start bringing out games for the Xbox One.5 only, and discontinue the Xbox One whilst also bringing out a new Xbox Two. Games would be supported on Xbox One.5 for another 3 years. Would make sense to keep bringing out a better hardware revisions every 3 years. Would give each console a 6 year life span, which for £400 a console is pretty damn good really.

I can't see them announcing anything more than an xbox slim this year given that its not even been two and a half years since the xbox one was released.

Microsoft revealed the xbox one just before E3 and then released in November of that year, they can't be releasing a new higher spec xbox one this year, and therefore it has to just be a slim.

If they do have a new machine coming then its E3 next year at the bare minimum.

This thought seems overly prevalent here. I don't think people understand that we are actually OVERDUE for a new generation. A new gen should have released in 2015. People seem to get confused by the fact that MS and Sony milked the hell out of last generation.

I can't see them announcing anything more than an xbox slim this year given that its not even been two and a half years since the xbox one was released.

Microsoft revealed the xbox one just before E3 and then released in November of that year, they can't be releasing a new higher spec xbox one this year, and therefore it has to just be a slim.

If they do have a new machine coming then its E3 next year at the bare minimum.

I don't understand how people think that there will be a split. There will be just XBOX games. Some consoles will be more powerful than others and have better specs, but the games will be the games. That is the whole point of the hypervisor. MS has eliminated the concept of "generations" of hardware. This is just xbox going forward, regardless of the specs of the machine.

It feels like Microsoft's long term plan is to get other people to make the hardware and just run the service and Windows 10 app store (which will include the entire xbox marketplace) and this transition has caught them flat footed as they try to bridge the current environment to their "Windows 10 everywhere" goal.

It'll be interesting to see how they respond.

ekim

Apparently there is a leaked picture of the "Xbox Slim" .
It doesn't show the case really but you can at least gather it's general size

http://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-one-slim-may-debut-e3-2016-according-regulatory-filings
http://segmentnext.com/2016/04/14/xbox-one-slim-photo-leaked-brazil-equivalent-fcc/

lol... that's the Wifi chip photo I discovered yesterday in the ANATEL filings. At least the original brazilian source is naming this thread as their source.

This thought seems overly prevalent here. I don't think people understand that we are actually OVERDUE for a new generation. A new gen should have released in 2015. People seem to get confused by the fact that MS and Sony milked the hell out of last generation.

Lol that's not how it works....

Lol that's not how it works....

That is exactly how technology works. There should have been a new gen in 2010 and 2015.

I don't think people are grasping the magnitude of the impact of 14 nm process. From transistor budge standpoint (not sure about power consumption), MS could easily release a 10TF + console at $499 this holiday.

What kind of console would we have in 2010?

40nm, 2GB RAM? Sounds really underwhelming...

Also, don't forget that the PS3 was released in 2007 in Europe and it wasn't until the Slim revision that it gained significant momentum.

ekim

www.xboxevent.com

MS used this page back in 2013 for the Xbox One reveal event. (It was basically the page for invited press to confirm they are attending)
From later 2013 until yesterday the site redirected to Xbox.com but now the redirect was removed. I will keep an eye on it and if they are really releasing a new Xbox this year, they will probably announce it on a dedicated HW event.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
www.xboxevent.com

MS used this page back in 2013 for the Xbox One reveal event. (It was basically the page for invited press to confirm they are attending)
From later 2013 until yesterday the site redirected to Xbox.com but now the redirect was removed. I will keep an eye on it and if they are really releasing a new Xbox this year, they will probably announce it on a dedicated HW event.

Good catch!

Yoday

www.xboxevent.com

Awesome find. I've been saying for awhile now that this needs to be announced at its own even where they can have the spotlight on their message of how their new console cycle is going to work. Details can easily be lost at E3, and they need to be as clear as possible. I could see them announcing a slim XBO at the same event, just so they can focus on games at E3.

Sarobi

Banned
www.xboxevent.com

tjfPTaR.jpg

Hydrus

Would you guys be cool with a beefy spec Xbox 1.5 that comes with an elite controller for $500 and a standard Xbone slim without a disc drive, and standard controller, for say $250?

ekim

Good catch indeed. How does one catch something like this? Randomly checking old websites, hardly?

Yes. That's exactly how I did it. I discovered the page in early 2013 way before the event was announced and from the moment rumors about a new Xbox appeared I checked the page on a daily basis.

Yes. That's exactly how I did it. I discovered the page in early 2013 way before the event was announced and from the moment rumors about a new Xbox appeared I checked the page on a daily basis.

Well done sir. I can see investigative journalism in your future should you ever tire of your chosen field. I would never think of doing something like that.

leeh

www.xboxevent.com

You're on fire. I don't how you think to even remember to check things like this.

MilkyJoe

Would you guys be cool with a beefy spec Xbox 1.5 that comes with an elite controller for $500 and a standard Xbone slim without a disc drive, and standard controller, for say $250?

Why do people always come up with the "without a disc drive" nonsense? And if they're happy with an xbox 1.5 I don't think they'd give a shit about an xbox one slim.

PS I'm pretty sure Phil Spencer has poo poo'd the .5 it'll be substantial if at all.

krang

I'm more expecting a PS4.5 this year, with MS going the whole hog and releasing a much more powerful Xbox Two a year later.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I'm more expecting a PS4.5 this year, with MS going the whole hog and releasing a much more powerful Xbox Two a year later.

I think they will release a Slim console this year, watch if it helps in any way with their sales numbers and if it does not they will release the successor in early 2018.

MilkyJoe

I think they will release a Slim console this year, watch if it helps in any way with their sales numbers and if it does not they will release the successor in early 2018.

I really don't think the shape of a box is their problem. And I don't think they will be willing to sit out for 2 years whilst the VR train leaves without them

One dumb thing MS keeps doing is going first. Sony always watches what MS does and then reacts to it with their announcements and press conferences based on the public reception. If I was MS I would basically announce nothing until Sony does. Doesn't Sony always present after MS at E3? Does MS always go first by choice? I don't see any benefit to doing so.

I'd wait for Sony to announce the 4K, and then see if a shitstorm erupts or not. Even if MS decides to go forward with matching them, it's good to let Sony bear the brunt of the ill will for a few days so that when MS does announce it will trigger the "grudging acceptance" phase of iterative hardware instead of the initial shock.

univbee

Very short? The cable is 9 feet long.

This is a problem given that not everyone has their home entertainment gear positioned so 9 feet of cable reaches the fairly limited positions offered by the Kinect (basically dead center, a decent distance in front of you, between 1 and I think 7 feet off the ground?) Like if you're running a projector with all your equipment to the side or behind you, you have no choice but to run a long HDMI cable (possibly two if you're also using the TV in) to position the Xbox One in a location you weren't anticipating keeping equipment (which means you might need to get power there also if you don't already have a solution for that, for example).

One dumb thing MS keeps doing is going first. Sony always watches what MS does and then reacts to it with their announcements and press conferences based on the public reception. If I was MS I would basically announce nothing until Sony does. Doesn't Sony always present after MS at E3? Does MS always go first by choice? I don't see any benefit to doing so.

I'd wait for Sony to announce the 4K, and then see if a shitstorm erupts or not. Even if MS decides to go forward with matching them, it's good to let Sony bear the brunt of the ill will for a few days so that when MS does announce it will trigger the "grudging acceptance" phase of iterative hardware instead of the initial shock.

Actually them going first has benefitted them. In fact arguably, they had the best E3 for the first two E3s of this gen. The first one ebign overshadowed by things that were happening outside of E3, and SOny basically using the used game thing to make their E3 seems 3x better... As they snuck PSN+ requirement in.

Imagine that Sony conference without the MS mistake?

KingJ2002

A console remodel will somewhat help justify a more powerful system. An Xbox One 4K that can support 4K Resolutions and improved Oculus support will be cool... but a stylish remodel will help people upgrade.

like people going from the iPhone 3G to the iPhone 4... the remodel helped a ton.

SOny basically using the used game thing to make their E3 seems 3x better...Imagine that Sony conference without the MS mistake?

But that's my point. Sony reacts to MS in their conference and leaves a lasting impression on the viewers as it's the last big conference that everyone's following. E3 conferences are basically over at that point for a lot of people (even though they technically aren't). All the conferences before are great but the impact is cut short somewhat because Sony and the "grand finale" are still yet to come, and when it occurs, they are left fresh on the mind to discuss at length because no more big announcements are coming. MS should not let Sony have that "grand finale" positioning every year.

As for PS4K/X1.5 and VR, I just think it would be prudent to let Sony announce first and witness the general reaction, then plan their PR accordingly. I don't think it would hurt them in any way to do so.

Varg

Banned
I just hope this new console matches theor or exceeds the ps4k. This e3 is gonna be insane. Put a nice trade in deal and you got me.

Klepeks report on the PS4K explicitly mentions Microsoft doing the same thing.

I looked for it in the PS4K thread but couldn't find it. What exactly did you mean?

That Xboxevent site change is interesting though. Now I wonder if Phil Spencer was lying when he said they weren't doing a.5 or if it turns out to be a much much more powerful system. Simply can't only be about a better WiFi anymore though.

If MS actually holds an event for this before E3, Sony can yet again take advantage of it. Let's say that MS wants the people to buy a new Xbox and no trade in plan whatsoever. Guess what Sony is going to do? If anything i hope both offer a trade in plan. Interesting times ahead for sure.

I looked for it in the PS4K thread but couldn't find it. What exactly did you mean?

That Xboxevent site change is interesting though. Now I wonder if Phil Spencer was lying when he said they weren't doing a.5 or if it turns out to be a much much more powerful system. Simply can't only be about a better WiFi anymore though.

In the intitial talk he gave he was quoted as talking about new hardware capability 'during a generation' , which sort of contradicts something that is classed a generational leap, so I am not sure what is going on. I did consider they could make some sort of gap bridging system like a laptop with an Xbone compatible APU, if such a thing was possible.

In the intitial talk he gave he was quoted as talking about new hardware capability 'during a generation' , which sort of contradicts something that is classed a generational leap, so I am not sure what is going on. I did consider they could make some sort of gap bridging system like a laptop with an Xbone compatible APU, if such a thing was possible.

Yeah exactly. Quite a bit of contradictions there. Most of my friends really hope it's all untrue, they don't want to buy another Xbox already, but if it's true what Sony's doing as well, it's kind of forcing MS' hand. With Nintendo NX coming and could definitely turn out to be on par with PS4 or better, leaving MS with an already underpowered system behind. But if there's going to be an event before E3, guaranteed that's going to be something big.

im just wondering if current xbone games would work on the supposed new system ...

Seems to be a very safe expectation given the risk that comes with simply introducing a new model so relatively soon after the last. Win10 being the backbone of the Xbox OS would seem to guarantee it.

If this is real, why wouldn't Xbox Two be a safe name to communicate a full step up for a new unit? They wouldn't have to target a budget-conscious market as Xbox One and Xbox 360 already can and does...especially if the new system is targeted for Oculus compatibility.

sense

Please tell me you don't actually think this is what happens.... Huge Corporations come prepared and have their e3 announcements planned ahead of time. No one is sitting around waiting to see what the other does.....yes Sony may have added some color with that quick sharing video they did with shu and boyes last minute during e3 2013 to drive the point home regarding drm but you don't make huge decisions like pricing etc... on the fly like that....

LowSignal

Seems to be a very safe expectation given the risk that comes with simply introducing a new model so relatively soon after the last. Win10 being the backbone of the Xbox OS would seem to guarantee it.

If this is real, why wouldn't Xbox Two be a safe name to communicate a full step up for a new unit? They wouldn't have to target a budget-conscious market as Xbox One and Xbox 360 already can and does...especially if the new system is targeted for Oculus compatibility.

The whole naming process is going to get messy,I hope Sony and MS can come out and make a nice Good,Better,Best slide show to explain to people how the new generations of gaming is going to be.

Top Bottom