• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S: 40% smaller, 2TB, 4K for movies/tv, internal PSU, $300

Lima

Tested this with the Samsung KS9500 and Sony XD940 and some random Samsung UHD player. Not like the player really matters for this purpose.

Upon being feed a HDR signal every single HDR capable TV kicks into a different drive mode of the panel just like it would for 3D.

Now depending on the manufacturer some TVs have more picture adjustment options available than others but game mode is not among them. If I remember correctly Sony had an option between HDR Video and HDR Video Vivid and something bright day. Samsung actually offered more options and picture adjustments than others but also no game mode. The Sony measured 75ms in HDR video and the Samsung shot up to 110ms. Both unplayable for me.

I've been in email contact with Vincent from hdtvtest ever since E3 when Microsoft announced HDR gaming. I am planning to buy an LG OLED E6 myself and asked him and he confirmed that game mode is also not available in HDR mode as LG also only offers three modes for HDR with vivid, bright and standard. I've told him to keep testing it on every TV they get now and he let me know via email. I will ask him if it is okay if I share the private emails and will pm you if he says it's okay.

In any case HDR and gaming on a TV is certainly not a match made in heaven. I'm also sure there are certain TV's which might have low enough lag in non game mode to still be considered playable (and I'm sure some might argue that they are not bothered by 70ms of lag) those however are not TV's worth buying.

Tested this with the Samsung KS9500 and Sony XD940 and some random Samsung UHD player. Not like the player really matters for this purpose.

Upon being feed a HDR signal every single HDR capable TV kicks into a different drive mode of the panel just like it would for 3D.

Now depending on the manufacturer some TVs have more picture adjustment options available than others but game mode is not among them. If I remember correctly Sony had an option between HDR Video and HDR Video Vivid and something bright day. Samsung actually offered more options and picture adjustments than others but also no game mode. The Sony measured 75ms in HDR video and the Samsung shot up to 110ms. Both unplayable for me.

I've been in email contact with Vincent from hdtvtest ever since E3 when Microsoft announced HDR gaming. I am planning to buy an LG OLED E6 myself and asked him and he confirmed that game mode is also not available in HDR mode as LG also only offers three modes for HDR with vivid, bright and standard. I've told him to keep testing it on every TV they get now and he let me know via email. I will ask him if it is okay if I share the private emails and will pm you if he says it's okay.

In any case HDR and gaming on a TV is certainly not a match made in heaven. I'm also sure there are certain TV's which might have low enough lag in non game mode to still be considered playable (and I'm sure some might argue that they are not bothered by 70ms of lag) those however are not TV's worth buying.

Might as well list what I have found then:
Rtings.com says you can activate game mode with HDR inputs.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000/settings
On this set, you cannot enable movie mode once it is in game mode. In game mode, the tv does detect HDR content, but after some testing in our lab, it does not seem to display all the benefits as HDR in movie mode.

Digitalfernsehen.de is more specific in the comments to one of their videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H69sscB4z2A
Im Test konnten wir z.B. bei TVs von Panasonic, Sony, Samsung oder LG den Spiele- oder PC-Modus auch mit HDR-Quellen aktivieren. Was man in diesen Modi verliert ist nicht HDR, sondern die Zwischenbildberechnung und einige Filter wie z.B. Rauschfilter. Allerdings sieht der Übertragungsstandard via HDMI nicht vor, alles gleichzeitig zu nutzen. Im Test mit einem HDR-Player können wir z.B. UHD, HDR, 10 Bit, 4:4:4 bei 24 Bildern pro Sekunde einstellen oder UHD, HDR, 10 Bit, 4:2:2 bei 60 Bildern pro Sekunde.
In short:
They've tested TVs from Panasonic, Sony, Samsung and LG and were able to enable game mode with HDR sources. Activating game mode merely removes post processing that is done to the image. A restriction of the HDMI 2.0 specification is that 4K 60fps HDR is only possible at 4:2:2.
My best guess is that certain HDR modes that TVs have do require post processing and as such don't allow game mode, but the signal itself can be output. Probably not as impressive as the HDR modes but image processing for gaming was never going to happen anyways.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That sounds like you can use HDR sources in game mode but don't get HDR?

I hope MS have an option to disable HDR in the Xbox S

That sounds like you can use HDR sources in game mode but don't get HDR?

I hope MS have an option to disable HDR in the Xbox S
The Rtings thing is unclear but it confirms HDR sources can be used with game modes. That's why I included the second quote. Those dudes/that dudes have done some good HDR comparisons and I trust them to differentiate/identify HDR inputs.
The whole thing makes me wonder how much of HDR is actually in the source material and how much of it comes from the flashy image profiles that TVs include.
I made the suggestion to digitalfernsehen to do a vid on HDR gaming once the Xb1s is out. Things should get cleared up then.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
So this definitely doesn't support bitstream HD audio? This is a deal breaker for me, and I can't figure out a new UHD player can't do something that the PS3 could do 10 YEARS AGO!

Caayn

That's strange. My LG EG920v, the 2015 4K OLED model from LG, supports game mode while watching HDR content. Although game mode is a bit dimmer than standard mode for HDR content.

However if you disable trumotion* you can watch any mode you want and you'll end up with roughly the same input lag as in game mode, +/- 1ms.

*LG's artificial framerate enhancer. You'd want this disabled not matter what you watch.

Lima

Might as well list what I have found then:
Rtings.com says you can activate game mode with HDR inputs.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000/settings

Digitalfernsehen.de is more specific in the comments to one of their videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H69sscB4z2A

In short:
They've tested TVs from Panasonic, Sony, Samsung and LG and were able to enable game mode with HDR sources. Activating game mode merely removes post processing that is done to the image. A restriction of the HDMI 2.0 specification is that 4K 60fps HDR is only possible at 4:2:2.
My best guess is that certain HDR modes that TVs have do require post processing and as such don't allow game mode, but the signal itself can be output. Probably not as impressive as the HDR modes but image processing for gaming was never going to happen anyways.

Might be certainly true for last years models then. It was unavailable on this years high end Samsung, LG and Sony sets. Something I should have clarified. Maybe this is something they can patch if enough stink is raised about it?

I do know that Panasonic had game mode as an option in the menu that you could activate with any source on the 60 plasma series (I don't know if they still do on LCD's) which was nice. They are dead to me outside of OLED's though.

Certainly interesting stuff and will ultimately be the decision maker whether I buy the S or not.

Jerm411

Went and threw down my preorder at GS today...guy in there told him he heard the 23rd for a release date which seems awfully late to me...does coincide with Madden's release date though.

MazeHaze

Banned
I have the ks8000 and can confirm that even when you set it to game mode, as soon as HDR content is played it automatically switches to movie mode.

NaviLink

So apparently I missed this bit of info in the middle of E3, but the 500GB and 1TB versions will only be released in December? Just saw the listings on MS Store following a tweet by Major Nelson about Amazon Prime day. Gamespot reported so at the time. Placeholder dates sure, but they didn't say more since then.

I've been waiting because I didn't want to buy the OG model and have to resell it or trade it in later, but I think I'm gonna buy one. Can't wait six more months.

Bsigg12

So apparently I missed this bit of info in the middle of E3, but the 500GB and 1TB versions will only be released in December? Just saw the listings on MS Store following a tweet by Major Nelson about Amazon Prime day. Gamespot reported so at the time. Placeholder dates sure, but they didn't say more since then.

I've been waiting because I didn't want to buy the OG model and have to resell it or trade it in later, but I think I'm gonna buy one. Can't wait six more months.

It's a placeholder date. Current rumor is for September for 500GB and 1TB models if I remember correctly.

I think this was discussed here before, but what are the advantages of the internal upscaling vs. the normal upscaling a TV would do?

Is it higher quality? Do we have examples?
Does it help with input lag? Do we have measurments?

Kazooie

Banned
From ekim's Twitter:

EIf9YPy.jpg

https://mobile.twitter.com/ekim_gaf/status/752506812226830336?s=17

Proelite

So...
Any possibility that "HDR" is faked on some of these 4k sets via post-processing?

Vizio needs to work on their firmware asap to allow for HDR10 game mode. They can be even more disruptive in the industry with the move.

Nice, I didn't know they released info about this. Glad to see they are free, was expecting them to make us pay for the adapter. That being said having to have both and Xbox One and S seems rather ridiculous since a lot of people will be selling their phat console for the S.

"This adapter will be available for free to customers who have an existing Xbox One console, an Xbox One Kinect and an Xbox One S console. Check back on this page when you have your Xbox One S console to order your free adapter. You will need the serial number for all three devices to get the free Xbox Kinect Adapter."

Hawk269

Ugh. Fucking tv's are at it again. Somebody needs to regulate this fucking industry to adopt common language. Setting up and calibrating a tv for a tech dummy is near impossible. Everything from RGB, colorcrange, overscan just scan dot by dot, picture fit etc.
The guy you quoted has no fn idea what he is talking about. Sony hDr is called hDr. Xtended dynamic range has been in Sony tvs before hDr existed. People need to learn not to over react especially to incorrect.information.

Xenoflare

I visited a Microsoft Store today and I got the note that the August 31st launch date is legit, and the person who helped me was genuinely puzzled by EB's August 2nd date. He even took a screencap of that for later reference lol

I really, really want him to be wrong, that Aug 31st date is just screaming placeholder

The wait is real .

BTW, I'm in Canada if that matters.

So are these special bundles, or are they just giving Halo 5 to everyone who buys the S?

Nothing special looking about it... but I don't think everyone who gets an S is getting Halo 5... which is an odd choice considering that console already have a LE bundle, and it's old.

Welfare

I visited a Microsoft Store today and I got the note that the August 31st launch date is legit, and the person who helped me was genuinely puzzled by EB's August 2nd date. He even took a screencap of that for later reference lol

I really, really want him to be wrong, that Aug 31st date is just screaming placeholder

The wait is real .

BTW, I'm in Canada if that matters.

It is a Wednesday so it wouldn't be out of place but yeah why hasn't Microsoft actually come out with a specific date yet? It's only been "August".

Xenoflare

It is a Wednesday so it wouldn't be out of place but yeah why hasn't Microsoft actually come out with a specific date yet? It's only been "August".

To give time for the old models to make shelf space? IDK the sales of the old XB1 are pretty aggressive recently.

But still, goddamn it. I have these XB1 games sitting in my drawer and no console to play on hahahaha

Edit: Then again, if the MS guy is wrong, then that just shows MS itself was holding information away even from it's first party stores

RoKKeR

Hope it launches around the middle of the month. Planning on getting an S to take with me to university, 31st would be unfortunate. (especially if the other bundles aren't out in August)

finalflame

Gold Member
Pretty sure LG's non-DV HDR is called "HDR Pro" and supports the HDR10 standard, which is the "normal" 10bit HDR right now, supported by everything.

Some content will also support 12-bit HDR (Dolby Vision), but it's unclear how much content will adopt the standard and use it, since Dolby charges licensing fees up the ass and HDR10 is an open standard.

ktroopa

Has it been confirmed that the UK is getting the 500GB S model? I cant seem to find a preorder anywhere for it. they are all 2TB models.. mmm

Top Bottom