• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S + 4K TV Compatibility and Settings: The thread.

Xbudz

Hey GAF! Here's a thread dedicated to discuss the compatibility of Xbox One S with various 4K screens and devices- new and old. Here we can help each other out with finding the best settings to use, and to understand which TV's can and can't do HDR.

Here's some links worth checking out:

Troubleshooting 4K and HDR on Xbox One S
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/troubleshooting-4K-and-HDR-on-xbox-one-s

Digital Foundry: the best 4K TVs for HDR gaming
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-the-best-4k-screens-for-hdr-gaming

List of TVs fully compatible with HDR10 for Xbox One S
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/4vojfu/list_of_tvs_fully_compatible_with_hdr10_for_xbox/

Display Database:
http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

Input Lag of 4K TVs
http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/input-lag

Ultra HD 4K Movie Reviews
http://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/reviews.html

Downloadable 4K and HDR video demos (Need a PC)
http://demo-uhd3d.com/categorie.php?cat=demouhd

I'm unfortunately one of the early adopters of 4K and my TV doesn't do the HDR stuff, but I'm still very pleased with how the Xbox One S looks on my screen. I'm using the Vizio M50-C1 from 2015, and the image I'm getting is just amazing. I'd be curious to see which settings other M50-C1 owners are using and I'd be happy to share mine as well.

I encourage you to share the setting values, or take screenshots of your settings if you feel you're getting an amazing image. Just be sure to share which model 4KTV you're using! I'd also love to see people compare the built-in Xbox One S 4K upscaler with your TV's default upscaler to see what looks better for you!

Krakatoa

Anyone have the Xbox s running on the LG 75UH8500? I have this TV and I'd like to know if there's any issues before my xbox one s arrives later in the month.

I believe it supports HDR10 and Dolby Visions

Anyone have the Xbox s running on the LG 75UH8500? I have this TV and I'd like to know if there's any issues before my xbox one s arrives later in the month.

If you clicked the link, you would see that your model is on the compatible list

morpix

I've got a Samsung KU 7000 series 55".

ku7000.jpg

XBone S works great on HDMI 1 only. Other inputs accept 4K but no HDR.

kjacobson

Neo Member
UN65JU7500 - Samsung Curved 4K, after enabling HDMI UHD Color in the Picture Settings of the TV, I've got green checks across the board for my Xbox One S.

I don't have an Xbox One S, nor do I own a 4K set. But I have been doing alot of reading of reviews, it has necessitated that I become familiar with the tech jargon in the AV world and what not. It has been quite fun and informative reading all about this stuff. Shoutout to Geoffrey Morrison who's article detailing 4K, HDR10 V Dolby Vision, pros and cons of OLED, how expensive hdmi cables are the same as Amazon basics hdmi cables etc.

One thing that has recently been reported and this was largely thanks to this article http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-the-best-4k-screens-for-hdr-gaming that some sets have higher input lag when HDR mode is being used. This sucks because low input lag is so crucial to gaming. Just thought folks outta now.

morpix

Might be the only HDCP 2.2 port on your TV.

Yeah, it's weird, in the settings it has UHD colour settings that needs to be enabled for each HDMI port. If this is disabled, the XBone HDR check fails. When I try to enable it for HDMI 2 and 3 it just says "Not available". It might not be detecting a source. But, in any case, I'll read the manual to see if I'm missing something.

McSpidey

I see HDFury have an EDID injector (integral) that can put a TV into 4K HDR mode - hopefully that can be used in combo with the leo bodnar to measure HDR input lag.

One thing I've noticed people discussing on AV forums that may be contributing to HDR input lag is you seem to need to have "Dynamic Contrast" turned on when watching HDR media, or you get wrong gamma/too dark a picture - especially on the new LG 2016 oleds like the E6.

According to DF, although Samsung's latest TV's support HDR they apparently don't in game mode. You have to put the TV into movie mode which then pushes input lag well past 100ms...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-the-best-4k-screens-for-hdr-gaming

On first impressions, the Samsung KS7000 shapes up nicely: all the key UHD specs are adhered to, a VA panel delivers deep black levels, while game mode lowers input lag to just 21ms – all for a respectable £1300 for a 49-inch screen. However, the caveat here is that HDR content can only be displayed using movie mode, which results in a whopping 112ms of lag – so while the KS7000 attracts excellent reviews for its quality, and is a great buy for 4K gameplay, it falls out of contention if you're looking for UHD gameplay with HDR enabled.

Kyne

Well that's a bummer. According to that DF article the model I've had my eye on (Samsung KS7000) has a lot of lag in HDR mode.. so it wouldn't really be ideal for gaming.

Anyone have any other suggestions for 4k gaming TV's that are less than $1,500 in the US?

Hey GAF! Here's a thread dedicated to discuss the compatibility of Xbox One S with various 4K screens and devices- new and old. Here we can help each other out with finding the best settings to use, and to understand which TV's can and can't do HDR.

Here's some links worth checking out:

Troubleshooting 4K and HDR on Xbox One S
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/troubleshooting-4K-and-HDR-on-xbox-one-s

Digital Foundry: the best 4K TVs for HDR gaming

List of TVs fully compatible with HDR10 for Xbox One S
https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/4vojfu/list_of_tvs_fully_compatible_with_hdr10_for_xbox/

I'm unfortunately one of the early adopters of 4K and my TV doesn't do the HDR stuff, but I'm still very pleased with how the Xbox One S looks on my screen. I'm using the Vizio M50-C1 from 2015, and the image I'm getting is just amazing. I'd be curious to see which settings other M50-C1 owners are using and I'd be happy to share mine as well.

I encourage you to share the setting values, or take screenshots of your settings if you feel you're getting an amazing image. Just be sure to share which model 4KTV you're using! I'd also love to see people compare the built-in Xbox One S 4K upscaler with your TV's default upscaler to see what looks better for you!

I have the M50-C1 as well and just preordered the 500 GB over the weekend. What settings do you recommend I should try out when I pick the S up in a few weeks?

morpix

Well that's a bummer. According to that DF article the model I've had my eye on (Samsung KS7000) has a lot of lag in HDR mode.. so it wouldn't really be ideal for gaming.

Anyone have any other suggestions for 4k gaming TV's that are less than $1,500 in the US?

That Samsung has the best response in non-HDR though. I got it purely for that because Street Fighter 5. I'm happy with the tradeoff, if I need super-responsive games, I'll sacrifice some IQ bells.
Also, when the XBoneS load up Netflix, the display actually reports "HDR Video playback" and seems to load another colour profile. I'm wondering if the XBox controls when the display is in HDR mode, and turns it off when a game doesn't need it.

I haven't noticed any lag in Killer Instinct for example.

NewDust

Can you force the One S to always output upscaled 4k? If so I would take the lam measurements from DF with the slightest grain of salt. The equipment they use isn't capable of providing a 4k signal, therefor the meausured input lag always includes the TV's upscale to 4k, which is most likely slower than the One S' upscale lag.

Kyne

That Samsung has the best response in non-HDR though. I got it purely for that because Street Fighter 5. I'm happy with the tradeoff, if I need super-responsive games, I'll sacrifice some IQ bells.
Also, when the XBoneS load up Netflix, the display actually reports "HDR Video playback" and seems to load another colour profile. I'm wondering if the XBox controls when the display is in HDR mode, and turns it off when a game doesn't need it.

Yeah, I get that it's really good for non-HDR display in the lag department..

.. but if I go out and buy an Xbox One S/PS4K, a premium system, and then go out and get a UHD 4K TV, a premium TV, you bet your ass that I'll be expecting the content that is delivered to me to be premium.

I don't mean to sound snarky, but that's a lot of extra $$$ that someone is dishing out to get premium quality. As a gamer I want to make sure I'm not being blindsided by things like lag/latency.

It sucks that the article only focuses on UK models.. I'd like to know how all of the US stuff currently stands.

Bessy67

Huh, really hope Samsung does some kind of firmware upgrade to allow HDR content in game mode. I have a KS8000 and it sounds like the input lag will be pretty bad if I want to play Forza or Gears with HDR...

amdb00mer

I would also remind gamers that you need to make sure your TV supports HDCP 2.2 on all HDMI ports or at least on the port that offers HDR10 compatibility. My TV only supports HDCP 2.2 on a single port. So my Xbox One S was showing HDR10 compatibility, but Netflix refused to play in 4K. I eventually figured out I had to have it in the HDCP 2.2 port. Once done everything worked fine. Oh and Youtube does not actually display in true 4K yet for the videos it offers. It appears the app needs an upgrade.

I would offer one more piece of advice. If you have a TV that does not support HDCP 2.2 on all ports or the port it does just doesn't support HDR10, but you have another port that does, use that port. Odds are your TV has a built in Netflix and Youtube app that actually displays in 4K. Just use that and go with the HDR10 compatibility and avoid upgrading your TV again, unless you just really want to.

amdb00mer

From what I have read it is an issue with the Netflix app. Seems Netflix will need to set a flag for which of it's 4K content actually supports HDR. As it stands it forces it for all videos including standard 1080pHD. This can make non HDR video look over saturated.

I'm in the US with a 65" LG E6 OLED. I get all green checks on the tests except 4K 50hz. I think that is correct because the US tvs don't need 50hz? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Xbudz

I have the M50-C1 as well and just preordered the 500 GB over the weekend. What settings do you recommend I should try out when I pick the S up in a few weeks?

Sure thing. Here are the settings for the Vizio M50-C1 that seem to give me the nicest image:

The Xbox video output is set 4K resolution, 12bit Color Depth and Color Space is set to standard.

morpix

I haven't run my display through calibration yet, since it's only a week old.
I'll run Disney World of Wonder and the Xbox Calibration and report back with settings.

Sure thing. Here are the settings for the Vizio M50-C1 that seem to give me the nicest image:

The Xbox video output is set 4K resolution, 12bit Color Depth and Color Space is set to standard.

So I take it this means the 2016 M Series is in fact able to display HDR10 after the recent update, and it's not one of those tvs that is merely compatible with HDR content? The reddit list in the OP only mentions the P series so I wasn't sure.

I am waiting for the M60-D1. Hoping to pick it up for my parents as an Xmas gift, but I wanted to make sure it is truly HDR capable. I have been trying to research all of this on my own, but the HDR stuff is confusing. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Xbudz

So I take it this means the 2016 M Series is in fact able to display HDR10 after the recent update, and it's not one of those tvs that is merely compatible with HDR content? The reddit list in the OP only mentions the P series so I wasn't sure.

I am waiting for the M60-D1. Hoping to pick it up for my parents as an Xmas gift, but I wanted to make sure it is truly HDR capable. I have been trying to research all of this on my own, but the HDR stuff is confusing. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I'm using the M50-C1 from 2015. No HDR for me.
From what I hear, even the M series from 2016 won't so HDR10 because they don't have HDMI 2.0a ports. Not too sure about that though.

If you are getting a Vizio 4K your only safe bet is the 2016 P series which are fairly expensive and I can only find them for sale at Costco in Canada.

I'm probably going to upgrade to an HDR10 television next year before Scorpio comes out.

I'm using the M50-C1 from 2015. No HDR for me.
From what I hear, even the M series from 2016 won't so HDR10 because they don't have HDMI 2.0a ports. Not too sure about that though.

If you are getting a Vizio 4K your only safe bet is the 2016 P series which are fairly expensive and I can only find them for sale at Costco in Canada.

I'm probably going to upgrade to an HDR10 television next year before Scorpio comes out.

It looks like you are right about the HDMI 2.0a. Dang P series is too expensive lol. Thank you. I appreciate the reply.

kjacobson

Neo Member
Is anyone else interested in following "Xbox One S + 4K TV Compatibility and Settings: The thread: The movie: The thread" when the movie comes out?

We can make a club.

morpix

I wonder what this means for my JU7500, its one of the lowest latent TVs ever released. But I am able to hit HDR with Game Mode it seems, so maybe I'm fine.

I'll try pop my Samsung on Game Mode and do the Xbox HDR test. Will let you know if it comes back as "supported".

Is there a website that'll list all the tv's, that you can then checkbox down to the correct tv for specs vs price?

I'm from aus, so it'd need to know if sets aren't released here (or if they're called something else)... should such a site exits.

BriGuy

What difference does 100ms of input lag make? The only meaningful HDR 4k output you're getting out of the system is for movies. It will be more of an issue for Scorpio and gtx1070+ level PCs.

morpix

I'll try pop my Samsung on Game Mode and do the Xbox HDR test. Will let you know if it comes back as "supported".

My Samsung 7000 Series totally supports Game Mode while in HDR, with the XBox reporting HDR fine. So I'm not sure if DF had an older set or it was just a firmware update.
Mine is at Version: 1113

Kyne

My Samsung 7000 Series totally supports Game Mode while in HDR, with the XBox reporting HDR fine. So I'm not sure if DF had an older set or it was just a firmware update.
Mine is at Version: 1113

Oh cool.. Guess I'll get the 7000 series after all.

KyleCross

Samsung JS8500 owner here. Gotta say I am not too happy in terms of the sets clouding, which HDR makes even more obvious because it jacks the backlight to max. The local dimming function on it is also ass, with subtitles on a black screen lighting up most of it. Other than that tho I'm cool with it. It isn't the best in terms of input lag (36ms) but I don't notice any latency myself.

Broank

I'm in the opposite end of things. Have the one s but UH8500 wont arrive till next Monday. lol

Jamex RZ

Banned
Yeah, it's weird, in the settings it has UHD colour settings that needs to be enabled for each HDMI port. If this is disabled, the XBone HDR check fails. When I try to enable it for HDMI 2 and 3 it just says "Not available". It might not be detecting a source. But, in any case, I'll read the manual to see if I'm missing something.

On Samsungs only K8000 series and up support UHD color on all inputs. Lesser models only on HDMI 1.

Top Bottom