• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Caayn

I dunno

Are VCRs sexy?
You're behind son. You need to keep up with the latest drive-by comments.
Thanks for that insight, you really can see the influence
2009BX8551.jpg

I really don't need this as I'm happy with my launch Xbox One.

I really don't want to put down money to buy another console.

I don't even have an HDR ready TV!

I've never even bought standard Blu-rays!!

So why is this the only thing I'm thinking after reading this great OT.....

giphy.gif

Kazooie

Banned
Great OT.

I just set it as my wallpaper.

I really think ReCore looks great.

The gameplay reminds me a bit of Kameo or something. Being priced at £29 means I'll buy it day one unless it reviews terribly.

So I might get this and have yet to own an Xbox one. Really love 3d platformers ala banjo kazooie. Any out RIGHT NOW for Xboxone?

I mean the Xbox One has Rare Replay so right out of the box you can play classics like Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64 version, not L&R). In March '17 Yooka Laylee touches down.

2D platformers include Inside and Ori and The Blind Forest.

I can't wait for Tuesday. Already gone all digital (first time for me) and bought Halo 5, MCC, Gears Ultimate, Rare Replay and Ori and The Blind Forest. Probably going to download Banjo first as it's a small file and play that whilst the rest download.

It's obvious that HDR will show boons for media that specifically utilizes it, but is it a technology that can enhance already-existing media, too? Like, will my current bluray collection actually get a nice bump in color range, black range, and general quality with HDR enabled on the display?

Also, does anyone know if the drives in Xbox One S are the hybrid drives seen in the Xbox One Elite bundle? Or are they just standard format drives like the rest of the Xbox One line?

Did anyone actually play a game with HDR yet?

Most (if not all) game modes are not yet compatible with HDR, which means input lag will be 100+ ms.

I'd hold off on being too excited about this functionality until your TV is firmware updated to support HDR + game mode.

madmackem

It's obvious that HDR will show boons for media that specifically utilizes it, but is it a technology that can enhance already-existing media, too? Like, will my current bluray collection actually get a nice bump in color range, black range, and general quality with HDR enabled on the display?

Also, does anyone know if the drives in Xbox One S are the hybrid drives seen in the Xbox One Elite bundle? Or are they just standard format drives like the rest of the Xbox One line?
No software and media needs to be made to use HDR.

pitchfork

Holy shit! that shrinking gif put a smile on my face this sunday morning : )

Looking forward to picking one up when (if?) they release the 500gb in the UK

Those still hoping to pick up the 2TB here in Blighty, it looks like Zavvi.com still have stock left, everywhere else is out of stock

Ugh, kinda tempted to do one of the trade-in deals going on this week. I was staunchly against trading in my white Xbox One, but for another, smaller one? Just maybe. Especially since it doesn't get nearly enough ventilation in my entertainment center, due to the size and all.

Too bad using a Kinect with it means having to double up on power bricks, but I imagine the trade offs should be worth it.

Edit: Wait, does the Xbox One S have an external power brick? Or is this all still internal?

breakfuss

This would be tempting if it came in black. I may just spring for an OG finally. But man that controller...I want it.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno

Are VCRs sexy?
Sony thought so...

13520_bdve370.jpg

I like the simple look and own both the XB1 and that the above sytem :D .

Great OT, I am thinking about getting a 4k TV and this might end up being my new bluray player.

pitchfork

Lol, it is :) we got the Xbox One S a few days early by retail. Two articles about it hope you guys like it... I can awnser/test any questions here in this topic. The review extends the other article a bit if that makes any sense.

Didnt want to do a side by side with the ps4 in the review for example

Cheers : )

Really great to hear the console is still silent

Cheers : )

Really great to hear the console is still silent
Well I hope it still is a few weeks later but that point is really amazing. After playing a few hours of ds3 I turned off the sound. Where I did hear the OG Xbox a bit (and the ps4 is by that point schiphol airport...) the Xbox One S is completly silent! Maybe it is the new fan design? It really is amazing

KyleCross

That should not matter when the system activates the HDR mode. It only looks horrid/blown out when you manually engage HDR mode but not feed it HDR content. On my Sony set, when I watch a UHD movie, it activates the HDR mode and like you said, it jacks the brightness level to the max, but it does not look blown out of anything, it looks fantastic. If I activate HDR mode without the UHD player doing it when it plays a HDR movie, colors and brightness are blown out of proportion. HDR content when played adjusts things on it's own so things do not look blown out, engaging HDR without feeding it HDR content it is going to looks really bad.

This brings me to a small gripe with MS and the Xbox One S. Phil & Team should of had at least one HDR game ready to go at launch of the unit or an existing game patched to take advantage of HDR. Right now, we have no real way to see how HDR gaming will be like until Forza Horizon 3 releases in September, if they had something like Halo 5 with HDR added or some other high profile game, it would of been great for new owners to see what the Xbox S can do with HDR gaming. While we can see the impact of UHD movies with HDR, the gaming aspect is what I really want to check out. Even having a indie title with HDR would of been welcomed. I think this was/is a missed opportunity. They proudly talk about stunning HDR gaming on the Xbox S, but they have nothing gaming wise until mid/late September to show it off.
I don't engage it with non-HDR content. In fact my TV doesn't allow that, it only turns on when the TV detects it's being fed HDR. I dislike max backlight cause it's too bright, and also makes the crappy clouding on my set even more noticeable.

Bessy67

Can't wait to get mine. I almost caved and got the 2TB version to get it earlier but I decided to hold out and get the cheaper 500gig since I already have a 2TB external. The only thing I wish they had added was a microphone either on the console itself or the controller so I could use voice commands without kinect or a headset.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Lol, it is :) we got the Xbox One S a few days early by retail. Two articles about it hope you guys like it... I can awnser/test any questions here in this topic. The review extends the other article a bit if that makes any sense.

Didnt want to do a side by side with the ps4 in the review for example
Thanks, I'll add it to the OP after I get some coffee.

Bioshocker

I keep feeling this is the console Xbox One should've been at launch. I am pretty tempted to buy it, but I want at least 1tb and I feel it's a bit too pricey right now, especially since I already own an Xbox One but no 4K TV to take advantage of the the One S so it won't make any difference for me.

I'll actually buy an Nvidia Shield tomorrow. Not for gaming but for streaming. The One S can wait.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is it really that much nicer than the sunset overdrive white XB1? That still looks great and white works well with the angular design of the XB1 and S (and PS4)

Has anyone ever pre-ordered a console at a Microsoft Store? Gamestop is giving me the run around, saying they can't pre-order the 2TB model, only the Gears of War 4 edition, and was just wondering if you're able to do that in person at the MS store.

Izuna

Banned
I just sold my Monitor and Xbox so I can put money into my app, but this is making me want to give that up. It's soooo sexy.

etta

my hard graphic balls
There is no 12 bit consumer display panels. Dolby Vision is 12bit depth (actually it might even be14bit), but no displays are 12 bit at the moment. Dolby Vision meta data is dynamic so it tells the display x items at x nits per scene. It then converts the 12 bit 4000 nit data to the display and the ETOF maps it to what the display is capable of. The rest falls off or clips

HDR10 and Dolby Vision are two entirely different things.

Like NeOak was saying some displays only support 1. The industry standard is HDR10, that is what is required by the UDHA for mastering UHD BluRay. Streaming services do not have to abide by that. Example. Vudu, for the longest time the ONLY HDR they had was dolby vision. Some Vizio's did only support DV until recently. They received a firmware update like 2 days ago for HDR10.

Generally/ideally if they have DV they probably have HDR10 but that may or may not be the case. (unless the Vizio was the only one that was DV only until this past update) If the Display is Ultra HD Premium certified it has HDR10 100%

In order for Xbox One S to support Dolby Vision it is a license issue, they have to buy the right to use it. HDR10 is the open standard.

Perfect.

Quoting etta so he sees it.

Maybe add a small line for Vizio P and M owners to check for software updates?

How's this:
Q: What is HDR and what do I need?
A: HDR (High Dynamic Range) is basically more colours, better blacks, and better whites. Current technology (8-bit) only allows for 16 million colours. HDR is 10-bit and allows for 1 billion colours. More colours = more vibrant image rendered. Xbox One S uses the HDR10 open standard (which is also by far the most common standard), but not the Dolby Vision proprietary standard. Some TV models use only Dolby Vision and not HDR10, but some manufacturers like Vizio have issued software updates so that their Dolby Vision models (Series P and M) will support HDR10 (and thus supporting Xbox One S' HDR standard). Also look for the UHD Premium sticker on the TV box, this means that the TV fully supports the HDR10 open standard.

Also, thanks to everyone, I'm glad you guys enjoyed the OT!

Cleve

Excited to get mine. I'm bummed I missed the $150 trade in promo at gamestop. I guess I'll try to sell mine on my own.

Picking up the 500 GB Halo bundle at the end of August. My friend has been bugging me to get a One for two years now, and this updated model truly is a great value.

I prefer to play multiplatform titles on the the PS4, but there are definitely a few upcoming Xbox One exclusives that I'm interested in.

I have a feeling these slim models are going to sell exceptionally well. The marketing and aesthetic of it are all on point. Good job, Microsoft!

Too bad I cant make a video about the sound of this machine, or better said the lack off... I think Microsoft is on to something here with the placement of the fans

Lima

Too bad I cant make a video about the sound of this machine, or better said the lack off... I think Microsoft is on to something here with the placement of the fans

I mean it's a big heatsink with a 130 mm fan that runs at low rpm's. It is kinda hard to make that design noisy.

I mean it's a big heatsink with a 130 mm fan that runs at low rpm's. It is kinda hard to make that design noisy.
Maybe, yes. But you do need to make the decision on the design to make it this silent and keep it as silent as the xbox one has always ever been in a smaller form.

Last night was a hell lol... disc installs are slow but once I had all my games on there I still had 1.2TB left... feels good not having to worry about that this gen anymore

Top Bottom