• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Has anyone experienced problems with playing normal DVDs?
I have, but I don't know if it's a problem with the app or something else. It can't be the drive as it still plays games fine.

So I'm having an audio issue on my new xbox one s when watching blu-ray's.

I have audio set to go over HDMI to my tv (a 4k set, samsung KS8000). The audio setting is set to bitstream out, and I have the type for dolby digital.

From my TV, I have an optical cable that runs to my receiver. Had to do it this way because I just have a 5.1 setup that doesn't pass through 4k/HDR.

Movies are terribly out of sync. If I change the HDMI audio output settings on the xbox to stereo uncompressed, it seems to be synced up fine. Does the S have an issue with bitstream or something? It works fine on my ps4 pro.

Frustrating to say the least, I bought the one S mainly to be a video player.

Didn't they just announce bitstream and atmos support for an update that is coming soon?. Not sure what that entails (update for just BR support?) as bitstream has always been a selectable feature, but yeah. Is there a reason you can't just run optical from the Xbox to your receiver and avoid the tv completely? I'd just do that and see if it fixes the issue.

I have audio set to go over HDMI to my tv (a 4k set, samsung KS8000). The audio setting is set to bitstream out, and I have the type for dolby digital.

From my TV, I have an optical cable that runs to my receiver. Had to do it this way because I just have a 5.1 setup that doesn't pass through 4k/HDR.

Movies are terribly out of sync. If I change the HDMI audio output settings on the xbox to stereo uncompressed, it seems to be synced up fine. Does the S have an issue with bitstream or something? It works fine on my ps4 pro.

From what i heard - best to have the xbox output at uncompressed when using the hdmi out for audio.

( if you are in the xbox preview/insider program)
When watching a dvd/bluray - go into settings - disk & bluray - bluray - check box next to let receiver decode audio. this will give you pass through. in your case, to your TV and then whatever your tv does to decode and then will send it to the receiver.

^then again that doesn't matter since your tv will probably send its own type of signal instead of the raw version coming from the console.

Hi GAF - not sure if this is the right place for this but I will try anyway. I have a Vizio M55 C2 and it has one 4K 60hz input and multiple 4K 30hz inputs. I have both the PS4 Pro and the Xbox One S. Do both consoles need that 60hz port? I just want to get the best out of both consoles with this TV without having to switch the HDMI cord every time. And yes I am aware that this TV does not have HDR.

Thanks!

krang

I think that's more to do with the passthrough capabilities of the TV than anything else.

Am I misremembering, or are there manual audio delay settings on the XB to help sync audio to video?

j-wood

I think that's more to do with the passthrough capabilities of the TV than anything else.

Am I misremembering, or are there manual audio delay settings on the XB to help sync audio to video?

But why would it only happen with blu-ray? Games seem to be fine.

And the same blu ray that had issues on the xbox, played fine on my ps4 pro, which is using the exact same audio setup (bitstream dolby digital over hdmi to tv, optical from tv to receiver)

j-wood

From what i heard - best to have the xbox output at uncompressed when using the hdmi out for audio.

( if you are in the xbox preview/insider program)
When watching a dvd/bluray - go into settings - disk & bluray - bluray - check box next to let receiver decode audio. this will give you pass through. in your case, to your TV and then whatever your tv does to decode and then will send it to the receiver.

^then again that doesn't matter since your tv will probably send its own type of signal instead of the raw version coming from the console.

Yeah I tried this, but the xbox won't let me select the uncompressed 5.1, because it says the receiver (my tv) doesn't support it. I also can't go optical from xbox to receiver because I only have one optical port (which is how the tv is pushing all my audio to my receiver).

kharma45

From listening to it my fan does click. I can't hear it though unless I'm right next to the console and the room is silent. Not sure whether it's worth the hassle of getting it replaced. Seeme like it's complete pot luck.

Yeah I tried this, but the xbox won't let me select the uncompressed 5.1, because it says the receiver (my tv) doesn't support it. I also can't go optical from xbox to receiver because I only have one optical port (which is how the tv is pushing all my audio to my receiver).
Does you TV support HDMI ARC?

Moze

Banned
So I decided to send mine back due to the fan issue but I can't seem to remember if it came with a USB cable. Does anyone know if the Xbox One S comes with a USB cable for the controller?

SOLDIER

I just redeemed a year of XBL Gold, and I was able to download two of the currently free GWG games (Murder Soul Suspect and Sleeping Dogs), but Outland is still showing a $9.99 price while also saying that it's free for Gold members. This is on both the console store and on the website. What gives?

Moze

Banned
I just redeemed a year of XBL Gold, and I was able to download two of the currently free GWG games (Murder Soul Suspect and Sleeping Dogs), but Outland is still showing a $9.99 price while also saying that it's free for Gold members. This is on both the console store and on the website. What gives?

You probably caught it in a weird transition period when it is being replaced with Burnout Paradise.

Decided to pick up the green BF1 Xbox One S. I hope I like the color once I open it. Need to sell my day one edition first. I did like the Halo 3 Xbox 360 system which is a similar color. I'm a huge Battlefield fan and like collecting limited edition systems.

batrush

Wasn't planning to ever pick up an Xbox console again, but $199 for the 500 GB Xbox One S Battlefield Bundle was too good to pass up... My account and 360 games are JP region, can I play JP games on a US console? If not I'll just resell the console when it arrives.

im_dany

Wasn't planning to ever pick up an Xbox console again, but $199 for the 500 GB Xbox One S Battlefield Bundle was too good to pass up... My account and 360 games are JP region, can I play JP games on a US console? If not I'll just resell the console when it arrives.
It's region free

Anyone who owns a Vizio 2016 m or p series TV should get an update fixing HDR for the Xbox one. I haven't been able to test it out to much but initial impressions is that they fixed all of the drop out/ disconnects I'd had previously.

Anyone who owns a Vizio 2016 m or p series TV should get an update fixing HDR for the Xbox one. I haven't been able to test it out to much but initial impressions is that they fixed all of the drop out/ disconnects I'd had previously.

And on that subject, 2016 European LG models with HDR (850,950 etc) have a new firmware update that adds a HDR Game mode alongside the other three HDR pictures modes. This is a low input lag option for HDR gaming. It's also useful because it means you have a setting for gaming and a different one for UHD playback if your preferences differ.

I don't know if this update has arrived on auto update yet. But I updated my UH850 via USB with the firmware from LG's site.

dickroach

Are you in the mood for a cover shooter (Gears) or first-person shooter (Halo).

I personally enjoy Gears more because it's a lot of fun, there are a lot of great personalities, and the story is easy to follow across games. I have a lot of fun with Halo, especially co-op, but I have given up trying to follow the story.

Having never played any of the games before, I picked up copies of GOW 1-3 + Judgment and the Master Chief Collection when I got my Xbox on black friday. I just completed the first games in both series in the last couple of days having played a mission or so at a time, and I kinda found they complimented each other. Halo is a lot faster paced and kinda arcade'y, and Gears seeming slightly slower paced, also it helps that the reload button on each are the same.

I didn't even cover shooters were different than first person shooters. I thought and FPS is and FPS is and FPS.

I finished Gears 1 like a week ago; finished Halo 1 last night. Preferred Gears by a mile.

Gears: shoot shit, clear the area, move to the next area. shoot shit, clear the area, move to the next area. It's simple, it's fun, and then there's cool parts/elements added with the trains and carts and tanks and that make-sure-your-path-is-lit chapter. The story was zzZZz, but I didn't mind.

Halo: walk through these big levels that have like 10 different areas even though they all look the same, so you get lost a lot. A lot of backtracking; a lot of "have I been here before?... am I supposed to go back through here?" Checkpoints at odd places; if you get to a checkpoint low with health you're fucked. No aim button. Would have preferred more than two weapons at a time. Grenades you can't see killing you. Sometimes enemies respawn, sometimes they don't. you can't tell if they're dead or not. Story was kinda neat.

finna dive into Lost Odyssey this weekend. I was actually looking at buying this, and Blue Dragon, when I first got the Xbone. never played em; love Sakaguchi+Uematsu.

Also I've probably played like 5 hours of Peggle 2 without realizing it. fuck EA access :\

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member

The latest firmware (P series 50 inch) is awesome for me. Loving it. Gears 4 looks outstanding now.

dickroach

Having only recently picked one of these up can someone explain what EA Access is please?

$30 a year. you get to play all these games until your subscription runs out. they get added to your "ready to install" tab and you can install/uninstall them whenever.

Star Wars Battlefront, Mirror's Edge Catalylst, Unravel, Dragon Age Inquisition, Battlefield 4 + Hardline, all last years' sports games, Peggle 2, Mass Effect trilogy, Titanfall... it's worth it.

Apt101

I just got it set up. Gamertag is "CheekHugger".

Aside from configuring the display to 4K and the best color bit (whatever) my television supports, anything else I need to get it ready for UHD disc playing?

Edit: grabbing my first "Game With Gold" Sleeping Dogs and Jesus of Nazareth this is downloading like four times faster than downloads from PSN.

$30 a year. you get to play all these games until your subscription runs out. they get added to your "ready to install" tab and you can install/uninstall them whenever.

Star Wars Battlefront, Mirror's Edge Catalylst, Unravel, Dragon Age Inquisition, Battlefield 4 + Hardline, all last years' sports games, Peggle 2, Mass Effect trilogy, Titanfall... it's worth it.

Cheers, that does sound pretty sweet, I didn't know iv I was missing something because it was so cheap, I'll treat myself to that :)

Apt101

Cheers, that does sound pretty sweet, I didn't know iv I was missing something because it was so cheap, I'll treat myself to that :)

I got a code for one month of EA access with this One S. Once I wrap some games on PS4 I am diving in. Never did get a chance to play Dragon Age Inquisition....

I got a code for one month of EA access with this One S. Once I wrap some games on PS4 I am diving in. Never did get a chance to play Dragon Age Inquisition....

I have one of those too but I just assumed is was some sort of ea rip off so ill dig that out when I've cleared some stuff.

I know it gets some stick on here but I enjoyed DA:I.

Izuna

Banned
Background Music keeps breaking for me.

Hard Resets don't work, I have to completely redownload the app. It will work, then the next day, nope (it will shut off when I open a game).

I have since Factory Reset, removed myself from the Preview Program, cleared my cache etc.

I'm really annoyed by this honestly.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Is it like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUNIgja6RYg
Got mine today and can hear the noise all the time, playing games too :(

nope it's not like that. it's a loud sporadic clicking noise and not constant. i could hear it the other side of the room and first thought it was an in game sound or the HDD. also when powering off the console just as the fan stops spinning it again makes a loud clicking noise. it has got worse the last couple days and today i finally decided to take it back to the store but they aren't willing to replace it so i don't know what to do with it now....i thought about trading it in at the store since according to them it isn't faulty but don't feel right doing that since i know there is something wrong with the fan.

entremet

I'm really satisfied with my purchase. The console is super sexy looking. And dat controller is so good. They made one of my favorite controllers even better.

It's not perfect. The interface is godawful and confusing. And system's power is still disappointing.

But I'm seriously thinking of going with it for my 3rd parties games. Mostly based on the controller. But I've invested a lot in the the PS4. Hard choice!

But I'm seriously thinking of going with it for my 3rd parties games. Mostly based on the controller. But I've invested a lot in the the PS4. Hard choice!

I started this gen om PS4, but yeah, that controller brought me back to playing a lot of third party games on Xbox. And this is even after having a larger hybrid drive on ps4 (Good for the Plus games, I suppose)!

I've been having some weird issues with internet on my Xbox One S since I got it yesterday. I'm getting a Profile Sync Error on Halo 5 and it's asking to check my connection. Not all of my online content is showing up.

In Rocket League I've noticed my PING rate is a lot higher than when I was playing on my fat Xbox One.

NAT Type is Moderate. All services available.

piggychan

I've been having some weird issues with internet on my Xbox One S since I got it yesterday. I'm getting a Profile Sync Error on Halo 5 and it's asking to check my connection. Not all of my online content is showing up.

In Rocket League I've noticed my PING rate is a lot higher than when I was playing on my fat Xbox One.

NAT Type is Moderate. All services available.

I ended up calling my isp and getting them to send me a new router since the previous one was around 2+ years old. The xbox one S was saying I had 100% packet loss. Have no problems with online gaming anymore.

I was primarily on my ps4 for a few years, but after the One S and all of the things they've done to improve the console has me back to buying multiplats on the Xbox. I did not expect the controller to grow on me like it did and I anticipate getting an elite in the future, though I do worry about the reports of parts breaking. Was going to get a pro, but after liking the One S so much I think I'll hold out for the Scorpio. My ps4 isn't going anywhere and neither is my Wii U, but the Xbox gets all the playtime and I don't anticipate that changing

I'll be buying an S tomorrow, got a UHD TV the other day so better upgrade the trusty Xbox.

One question I have... I hear you can set the Xbox to upscale to 4K or let the TV upscale instead.
Which does the better job?

Thinking about putting a slim in the study, current OG XB1 is in the front room. Have all my games on a 2tb drive, and cloud saves appear to be super seamless, if I was to set up both consoles with my account, and just shifted between the two with the HDD, all I have to make sure is that they're online to receive the cloud save each time I'm done right, I don't need to push those to the cloud or download them, or put them on the drive or anything?

Thinking about putting a slim in the study, current OG XB1 is in the front room. Have all my games on a 2tb drive, and cloud saves appear to be super seamless, if I was to set up both consoles with my account, and just shifted between the two with the HDD, all I have to make sure is that they're online to receive the cloud save each time I'm done right, I don't need to push those to the cloud or download them, or put them on the drive or anything?
Right. Just need to be connected. Live does a pretty good job of telling you if something hasn't been synced since the last time you logged in elsewhere. The only time I've had issues with it is if i do a full shutdown before the console had a chance to move things between the cloud. If you use sleep mode it shouldn't be a problem.

shmoglish

Are there any interesting indiegames on xbox one (exclusive)/incoming sales? 10€ left on my account and no idea how to spend them.

Right. Just need to be connected. Live does a pretty good job of telling you if something hasn't been synced since the last time you logged in elsewhere. The only time I've had issues with it is if i do a full shutdown before the console had a chance to move things between the cloud. If you use sleep mode it shouldn't be a problem.

Fantastic, that's a good call actually. I usually use sleep mode anyway but hadn't considered that being prime time for those kind of things to do their uploading/downloading. Thanks :)

buenoblue

Gutted. Had my 1TB xbox one s for three weeks and it keeps freezing with a weird sound then crashing to home screen. Happens on gears 4 and forza horizon 3 after 15-20 mins. Halo 5 won't even load.

I've powered off repeatedly and even reset the machine. Guess it's borked. Not looking forward to reinstalling all my games on a new machine.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Think I may need to return mine. It isnt even a week old and it keeps shutting off due to heat. The console is well ventilated, in the basement and it is winter. Never had this issue with the old one.

Top Bottom