• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

j-wood

Is this actually a good 4k blu ray player? Is the quality going to be the same compared to if i bought a dedicated 4k blu ray player?

Alcibiades

Having trouble deciding which bundle to purchase.

Newegg has the 2TB Gears 4 bundle for $399 (Ultimate edition with bells and whistles Gears 4). This includes a $30 gift card.

Gamestop has the 500GB Gears 4 bundle (physical copy of regular edition) for $249 but it includes an extra controller and $30 gift card.

I'm looking at those two for now due to the fact that I'd like a special non-regular color. Wondering if the extra controller is worth it considering Newegg probably won't charge tax while Gamestop will. Also I kinda hate paid DLC for a "complete experience" so I like the idea of the 2TB edition which has everything included already.

dLMN8R

Having trouble deciding which bundle to purchase.

Newegg has the 2TB Gears 4 bundle for $399 (Ultimate edition with bells and whistles Gears 4). This includes a $30 gift card.

Gamestop has the 500GB Gears 4 bundle (physical copy of regular edition) for $249 but it includes an extra controller and $30 gift card.

I'm looking at those two for now due to the fact that I'd like a special non-regular color. Wondering if the extra controller is worth it considering Newegg probably won't charge tax while Gamestop will. Also I kinda hate paid DLC for a "complete experience" so I like the idea of the 2TB edition which has everything included already.

The paid DLC in Gears of War 4 is only permanent access to multiplayer maps in private matches and Hoard. All of the GoW 4 maps are free for everyone in matchmaking as they get rotated in and out of playlists.

Unless you're a massive Gears multiplayer far it doesn't seem worth it at all.

The extra controller is worth it if you think you'll ever want to play any local multiplayer stuff. Or if you ever want a different controller to use with your laptop or something.

If you ever do want another controller (~$50), it's basically:

$370 for Gears + permanent maps + 2TB + fancy color designs
$170 for Gears + 500GB ($220 including cost of controller)

The more expensive one doesn't make sense at all IMO. Whenever you run out of space, you can add storage via USB a whole lot cheaper once you need it.

_Clash_

Is this actually a good 4k blu ray player? Is the quality going to be the same compared to if i bought a dedicated 4k blu ray player?

I don't know for certain, but I would suspect it will playback as intended and the quality would be nearly identical between a dedicated 4K drive and Xbox drive. All 4K needs is a specific laser to read the disc, that costs like $10 bucks more per drive.

I've watched a few comparisons comparing it to the Samsung and Panasonic players.

There were some very small differences but nothing you would notice without doing a side by side comparison.

The fact that the Xbox isn't certified as 'Ultra HD Premium' also suggests a standalone play may be ever so slightly better.

Having said that I've been using mine with my KS7000(UK) and it works great, its slightly on the noisy side and can be heard during quiet scenes. The only other thing I experienced when watching The Revenant was at one point for a second or two the video slowed and the sound skipped, almost like when a game drops to 5 fps momentarily, this didn't happen when watching Mad Max though.

Apt101

It seems fine for me. I noticed a weird line in the middle of the screen for several seconds on both UHD movies I watched, and in each movie there was brief artifacting around a person moving through a scene when there was a lot of HDR in play.

I've been very happy with the Xbox One S as a UHD disk player.

It's still lacking for streaming though as the Netflix app doesn't do HDR properly, but thankfully my TV's own app does.

Alcibiades

The paid DLC in Gears of War 4 is only permanent access to multiplayer maps in private matches and Hoard. All of the GoW 4 maps are free for everyone in matchmaking as they get rotated in and out of playlists.

The extra controller is worth it if you think you'll ever want to play any local multiplayer stuff. Or if you ever want a different controller to use with your laptop or something.

The more expensive one doesn't make sense at all IMO. Whenever you run out of space, you can add storage via USB a whole lot cheaper once you need it.
Ah thanks for the breakdown yeah I guess I'd basically be paying $200 for storage and the red design. I'll probably go for the midnight blue w/ free controller.

Just a PSA if you are in the preview program you can go to settings and blu ray and there is a selection to let receiver decode audio from xbox. this will give you atmos from my understanding.

Sizzle55

Got an early gift today the One S is a beautiful console! Set up was piss easy! I love the feel of the new controller I might even like it more than my elite.

To add to this, you can always add extra storage via USB external drive. Did this was a recommended inexpensive slim USB drive and now I'm rolling with 3TB of space. Good idea!

buenoblue

Had a terrible experience today. I'm in UK and bought a xbox one s 1tb from the Game shop (UK gamestop). on black Friday, so it's less than a month old.

Console has bin freezing constantly making a weird sound then crashing back to home screen. Did this on forza gears and halo wouldn't even load. Reformatted and reinstalled games still same problem.

So took it back to Game with my receipt. They checked the console and verified it didn't work properly so I thought straight forward swap for new machine or refund. Oh how wrong I was.

Game manager saying I had to contact Microsoft as this was there new policy. Here in UK law states if a product is not of satisfactory quality then a full refund is entitled if bought less than 30 days ago. So I day this to the manager.

2 and a half hours later I'm still in there demanding a refund with the manager saying he can't do it I have to contact Microsoft for a repair.so then I contact Game customer services myself while in the shop and finally they authorise a refund.

Manager says he is only doing me a favour this one time cause I'm holding up the queue. Unbelievable. The week before I bought x1 I bought a ps4 pro from there so spent over £700 in last 5 weeks. Plus my of ps4 and x1 from there plus loads of games. Thousands of pounds.

So yeah over 3 hours to get a refund on a faulty product less than 30 days old. Absolutely terrible customer service.
Just warning people in UK to shop elsewhere. The supermarkets and argos have much better return policy.

The irony is I only ever shoped at Game because I think it's important to keep these dedicated game shops open. Lol. Rant over.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Game are shit. They have zero good will, and it is remarkable they are still in business.

Buy from John Lewis, if possible.

Sizzle55

After mucking around with the S for a while fuck the dashboard seems so much quicker! I am so impressed with this console. Hope everyone enjoys it on Christmas!

Got the S the other day, hands down the sexiest console I've owned.
It's so simple and elegant, and I just love the matte white.

Looks nicer than any dedicated 4K blu-ray player I've seen too, I'd be all over this if I just wanted a 4K player... such great value.

CrayToes

Lol. Rant over.

Moral of the story - Don't buy anything from Game, ever. It's an awful company that doesn't deserve to exist. Buy your consoles from Amazon when possible. I had a faulty PS4 Pro and the delivery of the replacement got lost (stolen) twice. Each time Amazon sent out a another replacement straight away and I was allowed to keep my original model for 60 days before returning. Amazon effectively ate £1000 without a hint of annoyance.

Wil348

Just one more sleep to go! Man I've missed Xbox, as much as I enjoy my PS4. Shame it's going to take forever to get both Halo games downloaded and patched, but I guess Sunset and Horizon 3 will tie me over.

zedge

Wow. I'm getting over 50mb download speeds on my WiFi now. Bought the double pack of Titan fall 2 and bf1 last night. Never seen anything download so fast. If it hit 10mb prior i was lucky. I have a 150 mb connection.

Double dipped as I have them on ps4 too. Couldn't resist the deal. I'm so weak. Lol.

Dumb question, do the white Xbox one controller yellow at all? I know older controller and systems had that issue. Just wondering if it still an issue for any current gen hardware.

Aspiring

Ill repost in here as i fid the wrong thread before

I got an xbox one s and on the 4k checklist screen says my tv cannot play native 4k games but will upscale and only play 4k blurays if the app suppports it. I know this is because it is an 8 bit panel not a 10 bit.

My question is will it still output ultra hd blurays at 4k? Does the bluray app on the console support it?

I mainly wanted for a 4k bluray player and just want to make sure. Plus obviously upscaling would be nice.

Thanks!

Wow. I'm getting over 50mb download speeds on my WiFi now. Bought the double pack of Titan fall 2 and bf1 last night. Never seen anything download so fast. If it hit 10mb prior i was lucky. I have a 150 mb connection.

Double dipped as I have them on ps4 too. Couldn't resist the deal. I'm so weak. Lol.

I recently got a 802.11ac wifi router and it now outclasses the powerlines that I used, which my power grid put out at 60 mbps. Through wifi now, I get 120 mbps downloads on my S. Do you use a wired connection direct to your router?

mike4001_

Had a terrible experience today. I'm in UK and bought a xbox one s 1tb from the Game shop (UK gamestop). on black Friday, so it's less than a month old.

Console has bin freezing constantly making a weird sound then crashing back to home screen. Did this on forza gears and halo wouldn't even load. Reformatted and reinstalled games still same problem.

So took it back to Game with my receipt. They checked the console and verified it didn't work properly so I thought straight forward swap for new machine or refund. Oh how wrong I was.

Game manager saying I had to contact Microsoft as this was there new policy. Here in UK law states if a product is not of satisfactory quality then a full refund is entitled if bought less than 30 days ago. So I day this to the manager.

2 and a half hours later I'm still in there demanding a refund with the manager saying he can't do it I have to contact Microsoft for a repair.so then I contact Game customer services myself while in the shop and finally they authorise a refund.

Manager says he is only doing me a favour this one time cause I'm holding up the queue. Unbelievable. The week before I bought x1 I bought a ps4 pro from there so spent over £700 in last 5 weeks. Plus my of ps4 and x1 from there plus loads of games. Thousands of pounds.

So yeah over 3 hours to get a refund on a faulty product less than 30 days old. Absolutely terrible customer service.
Just warning people in UK to shop elsewhere. The supermarkets and argos have much better return policy.

The irony is I only ever shoped at Game because I think it's important to keep these dedicated game shops open. Lol. Rant over.

I understand this completely.

That´s why I try to buy everything on Amazon even if I pay a few Euros more.

There I just know, if something goes wrong I can send it back and get a replacement (or my money back), no questions asked.

Wil348

I just got my XB1 S this morning and I have to say it's a nice looking console! Probably my favourite this gen in terms of aesthetics. The controller may very well be one of the best I've ever used, it's so comfy and I have nothing to complain about with it.

One thing that I'm a bit confused about though is downloading updates for disc-based games. I'm aware that the Bone has a weird install system where it installs and patches the game as it goes, but is there any way to download the update for, say, Halo 5 while I play Sunset Overdrive? If not then god dammit that's a big problem right out of the gate. I do have the digital version of Master Cheif Collection so maybe I could just download that for now, but still, I was looking forward to hopping into 5 maybe tomorrow.

Tmecha

Neo Member
I just got my XB1 S this morning and I have to say it's a nice looking console! Probably my favourite this gen in terms of aesthetics. The controller may very well be one of the best I've ever used, it's so comfy and I have nothing to complain about with it.

One thing that I'm a bit confused about though is downloading updates for disc-based games. I'm aware that the Bone has a weird install system where it installs and patches the game as it goes, but is there any way to download the update for, say, Halo 5 while I play Sunset Overdrive? If not then god dammit that's a big problem right out of the gate. I do have the digital version of Master Cheif Collection so maybe I could just download that for now, but still, I was looking forward to hopping into 5 maybe tomorrow.

Don't quote me on this but I think if u decline update and goto my games area u can see the game appear in ready to update tab, just hit resume and go play what ever u want. On

So I'm getting an Xbox one s tomorrow at the Boxing Day sales and picked up a 4K HDR tv (the Samsung 8000 so quite excited!)

I'm gonna grab a bundle that has a few games (gears and halo mcc collection as well as halo 5?) I'm also gonna grab sunset overdrive.

A couple unrelated questions

1. I have a decent pc and PS4 pro so multi platform games I've already had a good shot at. What good exclusives (retail or online) can I grab? If it's on PS4 I've probably already looked at it but PC vs xbone im interested- for example I'd probably look at forza due to the couch angle.

2. Does Xbox live give me games like ps plus does? What's the brief rundown here?

3. I remember a big hubbub over backwards compatibility, does it run 360 games out of the box? I really want to play a few but mainly red dead. I know a friend who has the GOTY edition and I never played the DLC on PS3 and I heard the xbone plays the x360 version well?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
So I'm getting an Xbox one s tomorrow at the Boxing Day sales and picked up a 4K HDR tv (the Samsung 8000 so quite excited!)

I'm gonna grab a bundle that has a few games (gears and halo mcc collection as well as halo 5?) I'm also gonna grab sunset overdrive.

A couple unrelated questions

1. I have a decent pc and PS4 pro so multi platform games I've already had a good shot at. What good exclusives (retail or online) can I grab? If it's on PS4 I've probably already looked at it but PC vs xbone im interested- for example I'd probably look at forza due to the couch angle.

2. Does Xbox live give me games like ps plus does? What's the brief rundown here?

3. I remember a big hubbub over backwards compatibility, does it run 360 games out of the box? I really want to play a few but mainly red dead. I know a friend who has the GOTY edition and I never played the DLC on PS3 and I heard the xbone plays the x360 version well?

1. Xbox Exclusives are becoming fewer. Most games can now be played on PC too so they are now really Windows 10 Exclusive. Halo 5 and Forza Motorsport 6 have cut down versions available on PC. The Halo 5 on PC is just a map building/multiplayer. No story content. Motorsport 6 on PC is mostly the same but unlocking stuff works differently I think. Games like Gears of War 4, Recore, Forza Horizon 3, Quantum Break are all on both XB1/PC as Windows 10 Exclusives. I think the only Xbox Exclusives worth playing are Sunset Overdrive, Halo MCC, Halo 5, and Rare Replay.

2. Yeah, Xbox gives you out free games if you are subscribed. It's called "Games with Gold" http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/games-with-gold

3. No. You can't just put in a disc and start playing it. When you insert the disc then it will download the game. You need the disc as it must be inserted every time you want to load it up. If you don't want to do that then you need to buy it digitally.

1. Xbox Exclusives are becoming fewer. Most games can now be played on PC too. Halo 5 and Forza Motorsport 6 have cut down versions available on PC. The Halo 5 on PC is just a map building/multiplayer. No story content. Motorsport 6 on PC is mostly the same but unlocking stuff works differently I think. Games like Gears of War 4, Recore, Forza Horizon 2, Quantum Break are all on both XB1/PC. Off the top of my head the only true Xbox games that I played were Halo MCC, Halo 5, Sunset Overdrive, and Rare Replay.

2. Yeah, Xbox gives you out free games if you are subscribed. It's called "Games with Gold" http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/games-with-gold

3. No. You can't just put in a disc and start playing it. When you insert the disc then it will download the game. You need the disc as it must be inserted every time you want to load it up. If you don't want to do that then you need to buy it digitally.

I forgot rare replay!

Thanks for answering. That's all good I can borrow his disc for a while anyway. Happy at that. Some of the cross platform PC/xbone games seem more fun to play on a couch anyway so I'll check that out. Thank you :)

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I forgot rare replay!

Thanks for answering. That's all good I can borrow his disc for a while anyway. Happy at that. Some of the cross platform PC/xbone games seem more fun to play on a couch anyway so I'll check that out. Thank you :)

If you buy any of the Windows 10 Exclusives you'll be able to play it on both Xbox One or PC. This is a program microsoft are doing called Play Anywhere. For example, I got a free copy of Gears of War 4 with my Xbox One. I could play it on that but I actually don't have an XB1 anymore but I can still download it on my PC and play.

Well, we opened it last night. Rather large update, but it hardly mattered, because it used my 5GHz network and it was so. much. faster. than PS4. Amazing.

Beautiful little box too. For all my complaints about it looking like a VCR when it first came out, the S model is really nice looking. Not heavy at all. Looks good on the shelf. MS's design group really outdid themselves on this model.

Saw my 4K TV and switched resolutions automatically. Nice touch there.

Played The Force Awakens as a Blu-Ray test. That looked good too.

Really happy with this purchase. Grabbed Gold too, and lo and behold there were already some 360 games ready for me to download like Castlevania SOTN, PacMan CE and Ikaruga (!)

Bought an Xbox One S just under a month ago from Game (UK) during the Black Friday sales and got around to setting it up today, nice present for myself. Update it, download minecraft and then go to install Gears 4 from the disc, nothing happens, weird. Then grab Halo 5, insert the disc and nothing happens. Do a hard reset twice. Still nothing. Guess what...the disc drive is broken ! Brand new out the box too! What are the odds Game will straight up give me a replacement tomorrow ? Bought it 28/11/16 so still within 30 days. But the minecraft code in the box has been used now.

Podge293

Bought an Xbox One S just under a month ago from Game (UK) during the Black Friday sales and got around to setting it up today, nice present for myself. Update it, download minecraft and then go to install Gears 4 from the disc, nothing happens, weird. Then grab Halo 5, insert the disc and nothing happens. Do a hard reset twice. Still nothing. Guess what...the disc drive is broken ! Brand new out the box too! What are the odds Game will straight up give me a replacement tomorrow ? Bought it 28/11/16 so still within 30 days. But the minecraft code in the box has been used now.

If they won't, MS will

m23

If you have the disc version of Halo 5, you need the disc in to install the portions of the game which are on disc. When you put the disc in, it should ask you if you want to updater later, choose update later. It will only install the disc when you choose that.

After the disc install is done, you do not need the disc to install the updates, so you can play other games as long as the other games are installed. So if you have Sunset installed on your console, you should be good to go.

Just make sure the Halo 5 update starts before you start playing other games, launch the game after the disc install is done and it'll tell you there is an update, install update and you can take the disc out.

So I discovered something really frustrating with the Xbox One,. Everytime I move my Xbox One to my gf's house and then back to mine, I have to re-enter the password to the WiFi connection. Is there any way that the Xbox One can store WiFi passwords like the PS4?

im_dany

So I discovered something really frustrating with the Xbox One,. Everytime I move my Xbox One to my gf's house and then back to mine, I have to re-enter the password to the WiFi connection. Is there any way that the Xbox One can store WiFi passwords like the PS4?

It can't and I also hate it because even if I'm mostly wired, sometimes I feel the need to move it away from the router or even use my phone hotspot, and there's always the wrong one saved :/

Sadly that didn't work, it just doesn't acknowledge a disc has been inserted, unless I put a blu ray film in and start up the blu ray app, and only then will I get an error code, for game discs themselves the system will ignore altogether. Thanks for the info about Halo 5 though, hopefully tomorrow I'll get a working replacement and then I'll use your advice to prevent any problems !
I'm sorry i read the post wrong. NVM

Just wondering if it's possible to unplug an external drive from one Xbone and plug it into another Xbone and have the games work? In an upgrading-from-fat-Xbone-to-Xbone-S-situation. So same account will be on it.

zedge

I recently got a 802.11ac wifi router and it now outclasses the powerlines that I used, which my power grid put out at 60 mbps. Through wifi now, I get 120 mbps downloads on my S. Do you use a wired connection direct to your router?

I just have it connected to the AC wifi as my modem is downstairs.

MrFlooD

Just wondering if it's possible to unplug an external drive from one Xbone and plug it into another Xbone and have the games work? In an upgrading-from-fat-Xbone-to-Xbone-S-situation. So same account will be on it.

Yup, took me 10 minutes to swap to the the S.

Best part, if you are keeping the second Xbox. You can swap the HDD back and forth and all the games will follow.

kakashi08

Got a $400 best buy gift card. Bout the ps4 pro.
Now still got the OG ps4, thinking about trade it in for $211 to amazon and get the BF1 xbox one s bundle for $244.

Should i....

Had my 2tb Xbox One S from launch and love it!

However, recently discovered a minor problem with it and wondered if anyone else was experiencing the same thing!

So, since getting my One S I've always used it horizontally. Its always been nice and quiet with no problems.
But we've had to move the living room around to accommodate the Christmas tree, and this necessitates that the Xb1 now be placed vertically in its stand.
But in this position, it buzzes! LOUDLY.
Its not the fan or power supply, and the buzzing comes and goes, even when turned off in instant on mode. Seems to start once the console has been powered up for a couple of minutes and warms up.
It seems to be the casing vibrating slightly as light pressure between the bottom and top housings stops the noise.
If it was held together by screws, then a slight tightning would stop the noise. But the bloody things just all clips :-(

Wonder how many other xb1s would do this when put vertically lol

kakashi08

Dumb question, do the white Xbox one controller yellow at all? I know older controller and systems had that issue. Just wondering if it still an issue for any current gen hardware.

Umm..I wanna know also, debating to get the BF1 white 500gb or the BF1 1tb green/greyish color. Leaning toward the white one because its cheaper lol

Installed my XBOX ONE S a few days ago and redownloading my games..I guess because today is XMAS boy the download speeds are super slow today..am downloading a game now and the download rate keeps on disappearing altogether(I have Spectrum 100mbps internet..am using an ethernet cable) also have another question..yesterday I played Forza Horizon 3 from disc, when you eject the disc is it normal for the screen to go black for a second while the disc is ejecting just wanted to be sure

Had my 2tb Xbox One S from launch and love it!

However, recently discovered a minor problem with it and wondered if anyone else was experiencing the same thing!

So, since getting my One S I've always used it horizontally. Its always been nice and quiet with no problems.
But we've had to move the living room around to accommodate the Christmas tree, and this necessitates that the Xb1 now be placed vertically in its stand.
But in this position, it buzzes! LOUDLY.
Its not the fan or power supply, and the buzzing comes and goes, even when turned off in instant on mode. Seems to start once the console has been powered up for a couple of minutes and warms up.
It seems to be the casing vibrating slightly as light pressure between the bottom and top housings stops the noise.
If it was held together by screws, then a slight tightning would stop the noise. But the bloody things just all clips :-(

Wonder how many other xb1s would do this when put vertically lol

Mine is vertical and it's very quiet but since I've had it its been that way, sounds like something is not right :-/

Wil348

Well I found a workaround for the install 'problem' earlier and it's been smooth sailing since. I haven't been able to use the console much since the game I want to play most right now is Halo 5 and that's still downloading (not far from finishing though). I really like the console overall though. Even though mine has the clicking fan it's still so much quieter than my Boeing PS4 so I can't really complain! The UI is actually really snappy compared to my brother-in-law's OG console, and it looks nice than the PS4's more industrial (albiet more functional) UI. Install times are fucking trash but I'll let it slide since I'm not going to be putting that many games on this thing.

I was wondering though, is it possible to output all audio to a headset through the controller like on PS4? Also, I have a code for BF1 but I'm not sure if I want to use it or not since I own it on PS4. Is there somewhere here on GAF where I could sell it/trade it?

Top Bottom