• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Had my 2tb Xbox One S from launch and love it!

However, recently discovered a minor problem with it and wondered if anyone else was experiencing the same thing!

So, since getting my One S I've always used it horizontally. Its always been nice and quiet with no problems.
But we've had to move the living room around to accommodate the Christmas tree, and this necessitates that the Xb1 now be placed vertically in its stand.
But in this position, it buzzes! LOUDLY.
Its not the fan or power supply, and the buzzing comes and goes, even when turned off in instant on mode. Seems to start once the console has been powered up for a couple of minutes and warms up.
It seems to be the casing vibrating slightly as light pressure between the bottom and top housings stops the noise.
If it was held together by screws, then a slight tightning would stop the noise. But the bloody things just all clips :-(

Wonder how many other xb1s would do this when put vertically lol

well it's not the HDD. nothing else makes a noise. it'll be the fan or psu. most likely the fan i think. the XB1S has a lot of issues with the fan. i returned mine because it was so loud. it would be fine when starting it up but after a while it would start making loud clicking noises. probably because of it heating up and having to spin faster.

i would recommend returning it.

well it's not the HDD. nothing else makes a noise. it'll be the fan or psu. most likely the fan i think. the XB1S has a lot of issues with the fan. i returned mine because it was so loud. it would be fine when starting it up but after a while it would start making loud clicking noises. probably because of it heating up and having to spin faster.

i would recommend returning it.

Its definitely not the fan lol
If you squish the casing gently with your fingers, the noise stops.

Same as if you have a rattling/buzzing panel in your car, when you touch them the noise stops, then may stay gone for a while but will slowly return etc

I got it from the Microsoft store online as that was the only place left that had them (UK), so returning it will be difficult

Apt101

The fan in my new X1 S makes a loud sound too, similar to a fan in a PC when a cable is tapping on the fans. No idea why. If it ends up bothering me I'll just sell the thing and buy a regular UHD disc player later. It's so weak I can't see using this thing for gaming anyways. It makes my PS4 Pro look like a $6k gaming PC in comparison.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Well kids opened their present this evening. They said the controller seemed smaller. They obviously noticed how smaller the console itself is.

Amazingly enough they wanted to play 360 games. It came with Gears of War 4 and I have some games from Games with Gold. They didnt even care...lol.

There are some UI quirks I noticed that I didnt notice before. Wont go into all that but overall they and I like this console.

Funny tho, one of my sons was like you could have got a PS3 and then got a PS4 Pro later since you didnt wanna get a regular PS4. I was like...wtf.... He wants to play TLoU again. For me to try to have all the current consoles, even if I have a fav I dont expect my kids to have a strong bias.

Port forwarding might be something that should be done ASAP for any of these consoles.

Kazooie

Banned
Had a terrible experience today. I'm in UK and bought a xbox one s 1tb from the Game shop (UK gamestop). on black Friday, so it's less than a month old.

Console has bin freezing constantly making a weird sound then crashing back to home screen. Did this on forza gears and halo wouldn't even load. Reformatted and reinstalled games still same problem.

So took it back to Game with my receipt. They checked the console and verified it didn't work properly so I thought straight forward swap for new machine or refund. Oh how wrong I was.

Game manager saying I had to contact Microsoft as this was there new policy. Here in UK law states if a product is not of satisfactory quality then a full refund is entitled if bought less than 30 days ago. So I day this to the manager.

2 and a half hours later I'm still in there demanding a refund with the manager saying he can't do it I have to contact Microsoft for a repair.so then I contact Game customer services myself while in the shop and finally they authorise a refund.

Manager says he is only doing me a favour this one time cause I'm holding up the queue. Unbelievable. The week before I bought x1 I bought a ps4 pro from there so spent over £700 in last 5 weeks. Plus my of ps4 and x1 from there plus loads of games. Thousands of pounds.

So yeah over 3 hours to get a refund on a faulty product less than 30 days old. Absolutely terrible customer service.
Just warning people in UK to shop elsewhere. The supermarkets and argos have much better return policy.

The irony is I only ever shoped at Game because I think it's important to keep these dedicated game shops open. Lol. Rant over.
That manager was trying to diddle you.

https://www.gov.uk/accepting-returns-and-giving-refunds

I've read a few people with similar experiences as well. Completely unacceptable from GAME. You didn't buy the console from Microsoft, you bought it from GAME.

Make sure you file a complaint.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Its definitely not the fan lol
If you squish the casing gently with your fingers, the noise stops.

Same as if you have a rattling/buzzing panel in your car, when you touch them the noise stops, then may stay gone for a while but will slowly return etc

I got it from the Microsoft store online as that was the only place left that had them (UK), so returning it will be difficult

that just makes it more likely to be the fan. the HDD is inside a metal casing and a PSU is well shielded.

Had a terrible experience today. I'm in UK and bought a xbox one s 1tb from the Game shop (UK gamestop). on black Friday, so it's less than a month old.

Console has bin freezing constantly making a weird sound then crashing back to home screen. Did this on forza gears and halo wouldn't even load. Reformatted and reinstalled games still same problem.

So took it back to Game with my receipt. They checked the console and verified it didn't work properly so I thought straight forward swap for new machine or refund. Oh how wrong I was.

Game manager saying I had to contact Microsoft as this was there new policy. Here in UK law states if a product is not of satisfactory quality then a full refund is entitled if bought less than 30 days ago. So I day this to the manager.

2 and a half hours later I'm still in there demanding a refund with the manager saying he can't do it I have to contact Microsoft for a repair.so then I contact Game customer services myself while in the shop and finally they authorise a refund.

Manager says he is only doing me a favour this one time cause I'm holding up the queue. Unbelievable. The week before I bought x1 I bought a ps4 pro from there so spent over £700 in last 5 weeks. Plus my of ps4 and x1 from there plus loads of games. Thousands of pounds.

So yeah over 3 hours to get a refund on a faulty product less than 30 days old. Absolutely terrible customer service.
Just warning people in UK to shop elsewhere. The supermarkets and argos have much better return policy.

The irony is I only ever shoped at Game because I think it's important to keep these dedicated game shops open. Lol. Rant over.

GAME are terrible. I bought my XB1S from them too back at the start of November and the fan ending up being faulty. took it back and asked for them to replace it. they straight up refused to take it back as apparently nothing was wrong with it despite the fan making a loud clicking noise.

So I'm considering getting an xbox 1 s.. What is the best deal? (usa)

Walmart has gears of war 1tb for 282

Microsoft has gears of war 500gb for 299 plus the crew and dead rising 4 for free and a Microsoft $50 gift card

Any other good deals... A lil help on making the best decision would be appreciated :)

Just trying to find the best deal..

Got GAME to swap my Xbox One S this morning for one with a working disc drive, they tested it and recognized that the drive was faulty, then the manager tried to call GAME's in-house tech support but they were closed and so they had no choice but to straight up swap there and then. A relatively painless in store experience I must say. Microsoft ignored my tweet to Xbox support earlier though, and their live chat was completely useless in acknowledging any issue had occurred. Weirdly GAME were actually better at the customer service. The console itself looks great next to the PS4 and I'm looking forward to finally playing some of the exclusives I've missed out on, with that all resolved happy holiday's everyone!

herod

I'm getting lip sync issues on blurays. Xbone S is plugged direct into my panny plasma, all TV processing is disabled or minimised. No sound bars, amps or pass through present. Just weird. Audio is behind the video.

Anyone experienced wifi issues with the xbox one s.

Mine isnt connecting to my wireless network but it used to and I already have an xbox one connected in a different room.

Its driving me crazy and if xbox support ask me to carry out troubleshooting again ill fucking flip. Ive tried all their shitty suggestions.

Anyone experienced wifi issues with the xbox one s.

Mine isnt connecting to my wireless network but it used to and I already have an xbox one connected in a different room.

Its driving me crazy and if xbox support ask me to carry out troubleshooting again ill fucking flip. Ive tried all their shitty suggestions.

Shit, I thought it was just me.

My S continually disconnects while all my other devices connected to the WiFi never have that issue. I've contacted Support and got the same runaround twice. The guy had me reset, restart, and test connection over and over for nearly 2 hours. I do not want to contact them again.

I don't know if it's the S, the network, the settings. No clue. Don't want to mess with my router since literally everything else works fine. PS4, laptops, phones, tablets, fire tv, roku, you name it, no issues.

Bought a powerline adapter and that seems to have fixed the disconnect, but download speed is around 8mbps which is insane. The wifi on my phone doing speedtest shows 80-90mbps download speeds.

I just don't know.

Simbo

Neo Member
Got the same wifi issue with my S.

When I first bought it the wifi worked flawlessly for about 2 weeks.....then all of a sudden it stopped connecting. I've had to use a wireless bridge to get connected to Xbox Live upstairs now.

Going to put in a warranty claim in a few weeks.....got a slightly noisy fan too so looking to get both issues fixed.

Just upgraded from an Xbox One to an S. EB Games has a $99 deal to do that. Really liking it so far!

Some thoughts and comments:

- I would say it's the most beautiful console I've ever owned. The sharp lines and perforations make it look clean.
- The controller feels more tactile and feels better in the hand than the original controller.
- The upgrade to a 4K console was very noticeable on my 4K TV. It's hard to even go back to my PS4 after this.
- Download speeds were all over the place. I have 150/150 Mbps and sometimes it was as low as 6.5 all the way up to 150. I've read this may be an issue with the S.
- Felt very snappy and fast on most things (although I still think the UI is pretty bad)

All things considered I'm really happy with this console!!

Got the same wifi issue with my S.

When I first bought it the wifi worked flawlessly for about 2 weeks.....then all of a sudden it stopped connecting. I've had to use a wireless bridge to get connected to Xbox Live upstairs now.

Going to put in a warranty claim in a few weeks.....got a slightly noisy fan too so looking to get both issues fixed.

I got it fixed by factory resetting my xbox. Pain in the arse but it worked

Shit, I thought it was just me.

My S continually disconnects while all my other devices connected to the WiFi never have that issue. I've contacted Support and got the same runaround twice. The guy had me reset, restart, and test connection over and over for nearly 2 hours. I do not want to contact them again.

I don't know if it's the S, the network, the settings. No clue. Don't want to mess with my router since literally everything else works fine. PS4, laptops, phones, tablets, fire tv, roku, you name it, no issues.

Bought a powerline adapter and that seems to have fixed the disconnect, but download speed is around 8mbps which is insane. The wifi on my phone doing speedtest shows 80-90mbps download speeds.

I just don't know.

I hard reset my xbox one s and it fixed all issues for me on this occasion.

//DEVIL//

My friend bought a 500 gig console. Is it supposed to make a buzzing sound when the console is off ( not in instant on ) it will k my go away if he unplug the system .

Your feedback is much appreciated as he is going to the store right now and doesn't feel like to exhchange it . The system has good fan and no coil wine buzzing

Sober

Girlfriend got me a 500GB S recently. I'm actually thinking about the Charge and Play Kit, since it's at her place. How is it compared to just having AAs (rechargeable or not)? I read that the battery pack is the only thing that can recharge from micro USB?

I just got a PS4 too so I really liked that I don't have to play battery management at home. Or buy a weird cradle and take up more room.

PeterGAF

Banned
Girlfriend got me a 500GB S recently. I'm actually thinking about the Charge and Play Kit, since it's at her place. How is it compared to just having AAs (rechargeable or not)? I read that the battery pack is the only thing that can recharge from micro USB?

I just got a PS4 too so I really liked that I don't have to play battery management at home. Or buy a weird cradle and take up more room.

Get a set of rechargeable AA's, specifically eneloops. They're so much better. I know swapping out batteries doesn't sound as convinient as being able to just plug in and charge but from my experience the play and charge kit sucks. I had one when I first got my Xbox One and the battery pack stopped holding a charge after a few months. And I've had equally bad experiences with the 360 play and charge kits too. It's just a bad product.

Get two pairs of eneloops and a charging cradle and you'll never look back.

My Xbone S is making a slight clicking noise from the fan. Is this normal? Works fine otherwise.

If its a matter of making exchanges until you get a silent one, its not a big deal to me. Just want to make sure its not a sign of impending death.

Alcibiades

Wow so I'm logging on and looking to see what the whole points and redemption stuff is and I'm finding out about Microsoft expiring the points I bought.

WTF is this? Is this legal? I haven't logged on or played XBox since 2011 and I was hoping to redeem some of it and now it is gone.

I used to buy tons of 1600 points cards to purchase Lips and Guitar Hero DLC I know I had some left in the account.

Anyone have any success recovering their lost money?

dLMN8R

Wow so I'm logging on and looking to see what the whole points and redemption stuff is and I'm finding out about Microsoft expiring the points I bought.

WTF is this? Is this legal? I haven't logged on or played XBox since 2011 and I was hoping to redeem some of it and now it is gone.

I used to buy tons of 1600 points cards to purchase Lips and Guitar Hero DLC I know I had some left in the account.

Anyone have any success recovering their lost money?

This happened years and years ago and was widely publicized:

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/billing/microsoft-account-balance/microsoft-points-retire-faq

so i got a xbox one s bundle with gear of war 4 halo 5 , the console is beautiful and the controller is great i just need know what are some fun game to play coop?

Sober

so i got a xbox one s bundle with gear of war 4 halo 5 , the console is beautiful and the controller is great i just need know what are some fun game to play coop?
Gears, and apparently Halo too.

If you mean couch co-op my gf and I are enjoying Overcooked a ton.

Kevin

Just upgraded from an Xbox One to an S. EB Games has a $99 deal to do that. Really liking it so far!

Some thoughts and comments:

- I would say it's the most beautiful console I've ever owned. The sharp lines and perforations make it look clean.
- The controller feels more tactile and feels better in the hand than the original controller.
- The upgrade to a 4K console was very noticeable on my 4K TV. It's hard to even go back to my PS4 after this.
- Download speeds were all over the place. I have 150/150 Mbps and sometimes it was as low as 6.5 all the way up to 150. I've read this may be an issue with the S.
- Felt very snappy and fast on most things (although I still think the UI is pretty bad)

All things considered I'm really happy with this console!!

My personal thoughts being an Xbox One S owner:

-One of the best looking consoles ever.
-Still my most preferred controller.
-Much faster download speeds then PSN
-4K Ultra HD Playback

While I still prefer PS4 for the Sony exclusives, Xbox One S is a solid console made console and I do look forward to seeing what Scorpio is capable of.

Vlodril

Hey, so my brother bought me an xbox one s for the holidays and i tried the ea access code. Seems like 25 euro is a good price for a year and i ve been trying to extend the sub for ea access to a year but after i put paypal on when i try to procceed it keeps giving me a "Try that again. Sometihng happened on our end. Waiting a bit might help."

I thought maybe its because its holidays and the network is stressed but today i am still having the same issue. Also i am not sure if its relevant but when i go to the store and try to get the ea access on the top left corner it reverts my avatar to the default one instead of the one i have now. i tried signing out and in but no lack.

Tried it with the xbox live extention and i still get the same error message when i try to either change my payment info or procceed with the payment.

Also apparently its 10 euro more per year than psn..

OldRoutes

My Xbone S is making a slight clicking noise from the fan. Is this normal? Works fine otherwise.

If its a matter of making exchanges until you get a silent one, its not a big deal to me. Just want to make sure its not a sign of impending death.

I had one that did just that and started overheating for no good reasons whatsoever, so might as well just get it exchanged... I don't think you'd normally hear loose parts.

sam777

Hey, so my brother bought me an xbox one s for the holidays and i tried the ea access code. Seems like 25 euro is a good price for a year and i ve been trying to extend the sub for ea access to a year but after i put paypal on when i try to procceed it keeps giving me a "Try that again. Sometihng happened on our end. Waiting a bit might help."

I thought maybe its because its holidays and the network is stressed but today i am still having the same issue. Also i am not sure if its relevant but when i go to the store and try to get the ea access on the top left corner it reverts my avatar to the default one instead of the one i have now. i tried signing out and in but no lack.

Try on the Xbox website.

Vlodril

Try on the Xbox website.

Apparently on the website it redirects me to an ea page with 2 options 1 month or 12 and then a button below says manage which takes me back to the page i came from. There is no obvious buy button (this happens after i select extend).

I am also using the same account on the console and the site (my microsoft account) but on the console xbox live for 12 months is 60 euro but on the website its 40 pounds (which comes to 46 euro) so i am not sure what the hell is going on.

OldRoutes

Apparently on the website it redirects me to an ea page with 2 options 1 month or 12 and then a button below says manage which takes me back to the page i came from. There is no obvious buy button (this happens after i select extend).

I am also using the same account on the console and the site (my microsoft account) but on the console xbox live for 12 months is 60 euro but on the website its 40 pounds (which comes to 46 euro) so i am not sure what the hell is going on.

Get in touch with Microsoft Support? They're usually very helpful...

Tenshin

The thing i hate about the store is you cant buy a gold sub using your xbox wallet and you cant buy 360games (you need a cc to purchase)..

Vlodril

Get in touch with Microsoft Support? They're usually very helpful...

Yea i guess i can contact them i dint expect to have issues straight out of the box but i havent used the ecosystem before so i dont know what i am doing.

As far as the price discrepancy anyone knows if its ok to get it from the website cheaper (and why it appears in pounds instead of eu?).

Lettuce

I have over 320GB of space left on my USB harddrive yet a 4GB update i need for Titanfall 2 is telling me there's not enough space and i need to clear so space. WTF!!!??

Vlodril

welp apparently after three hours it seems the problem may be that my billing primary address is ukrain (tomb raider game) and you cant actually alter that. nor can they. and country migration doesnt work because no one knows. tough luck.

Guess ill need to make a new account.

Edited : ok after making another account it seems that the problem is paypal is not supported from greece for some reason (every other store on the planet takes it though). Now i see some world wide codes like from here : http://www.pcgamesupply.com/buy/12-Month-Xbox-Live-Gold-Membership-WorldWide/ is that legit and will it work or i need to enter a credit card?

Top Bottom