• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One sold 23k during launch week in Japan, TitanFall best-selling title

Are people seriously disappointed by these sales? Let's look at the facts.

Fact: Xbox One sold more units this week than PS4 + Wii U + PS3 combined. That's a big accomplishment for the Xbox brand no matter how you spin it. Furthermore, it sold ~200x more than its predecessor this week, something neither the PS4 or Wii U did at launch.

You can't compare it to Xbox 1 numbers from back in 2002 and console sales were healthier than ever and smartphones didn't exist. That's not a fair comparison. Looking at the landscape today, 25k is very solid.

Fact: Wii U's launch numbers are inflated due to launching in a holiday week, only to crash and burn a month later when January rolled around. The Xbox One had a good first week, and it'll only pick up from here once December comes around.

Remember, the PS4 dropped ~80% its second week. I'll bet an arm and a leg that the One has longer legs. Let's see what happens next week.
Joke posts have gotten so good that sometimes I don't know anymore.

Nyoro SF

Are people seriously disappointed by these sales? Let's look at the facts.

Fact: Xbox One sold more units this week than PS4 + Wii U + PS3 combined. That's a big accomplishment for the Xbox brand no matter how you spin it. Furthermore, it sold ~200x more than its predecessor this week, something neither the PS4 or Wii U did at launch.

You can't compare it to Xbox 1 numbers from back in 2002 and console sales were healthier than ever and smartphones didn't exist. That's not a fair comparison. Looking at the landscape today, 25k is very solid.

Fact: Wii U's launch numbers are inflated due to launching in a holiday week, only to crash and burn a month later when January rolled around. The Xbox One had a good first week, and it'll only pick up from here once December comes around.

Remember, the PS4 dropped ~80% its second week. I'll bet an arm and a leg that the One has longer legs. Let's see what happens next week.

Gave it away a little too fast. Still a great post, 8/10, would read again

DSN2K

MS have been going completely backwards in japan. Fact the original Xbox sold 5x amount during launch says alot really.

Indiedevs

Banned
Xbox 360 didn`t sell very well at launch in Japan as well, just a little more. The PS4 got a head start, that`s one thing. Another thing is that Xbox One isn`t region locked, so they had almost a year to import the console like everyone else. That could explain something.

C4Lukins

Sadly that was better then I expected.

I do think going the specialty route makes more sense then losing a ton on marketing.

There really is nothing they can do outside of buying Nintendo that is going to work for them.

FuturusX

Xbox 360 didn`t sell very well at launch in Japan as well, just a little more. The PS4 got a head start, that`s one thing. Another thing is that Xbox One isn`t region locked, so they had almost a year to import the console like everyone else. That could explain something.

Yeah...it's those imports hurting sales of Xbox One in Japan. That explains everything.

You've unlocked the puzzle. JPN with the heavy import market.

You'd think that's the intention but

iQ00DCGbE7RRn.gif

I'm not sure who that trailer was supposed to appeal to.

Justin Bieber, and maybe Zack Efron?

Jaguar (XB1 has already outsold it's lifetime sales). 3DO probably sold similar to XB1, it shipped 40k for launch, but sell-through data wasn't available back then.

This is about Japan not u.s. Rewind the Jaguar did not launch at less than 23k in the U.S. . Rewind 3DO was the best selling officially sold console in Japan from America until the 36 (combined 2600 unofficial distributors and 2800 sales don't count.)

BKK

This is about Japan not u.s. Rewind the Jaguar did not launch at less than 23k in the U.S. . Rewind 3DO was the best selling officially sold console in Japan from America until the 36 (combined 2600 unofficial distributors and 2800 sales don't count.)

I never said anything about US, I was talking about Japan, where Jaguar only sold a few thousand units in total. 3DO was really pushed by Matsushita (Panasonic) in Japan, for a brief period of time Japanese third parties were announcing multiplatform titles for PS/SAT/3DO. Indeed Matsushita bought out 3DO's M2 plans. Considering it to be a US console in Japan is debatable.

Why wouldn't 2800 count as an official Japanese release of a US console? Not that there is any launch sales data available to compare anyway.

NHale

Yes it is bad. Why are there still people trying to sprinkle sugar on a turd? There's simply no way to spin this into something positive.

C'mon dude. Why do you try to spread those lies about this being anything but a massive success?

Everyone knows the Microsoft Xbox One, the All-in-One Entertainment System from Microsoft was the fastest selling American home console in Japan during 2014.

Xando

C'mon dude. Why do you try to spread those lies about this being anything but a massive success?

Everyone knows the Microsoft Xbox One, the All-in-One Entertainment System from Microsoft was the fastest selling American home console in Japan during 2014.

Its made in China though.

its not really bad factoring very little advertisement.

Well, it is bad, irrespective of how much or how little advertising it's had. It wouldn't surprise me if Sony has scooped up the lions share of what little next gen software support Japanese devs are offering, and that's partly due to the fact that they can hedge their bets on cross gen titles ala P5, Ys etc.

Xbox One won't have that luxury, especially with sales like these. So, I suspect that outside of Scalebound, some shumps/visual novels, Capcom games, MGSV, FFXV and KH3...we won't see much else. No one should really expect to see the kind of support Japanese devs gave 360 in it's early years. It just wouldn't make sense.

And, with bad software support, these low sales will continue, and will continue to get worse as well.

I never said anything about US, I was talking about Japan, where Jaguar only sold a few thousand units in total. 3DO was really pushed by Matsushita (Panasonic) in Japan, for a brief period of time Japanese third parties were announcing multiplatform titles for PS/SAT/3DO. Indeed Matsushita bought out 3DO's M2 plans. Considering it to be a US console in Japan is debatable.

Why wouldn't 2800 count as an official Japanese release of a US console? Not that there is any launch sales data available to compare anyway.

No, 2600 unofficial distibution COMBINED with 2800 sales is the best selling "console" in japan, but combining to things, one that is not even ofiicial, should probably not count.

Also, Jaguar never came out in japan. There were unofficial distibutors.

Also M2 is not the 3DO, so I am not sure what your point is with Panasonic buying out M2 plans, M2 never came out, and 3DO no longer had the rights to it when they sold it which is the exact opposite of the 3DO, which was region free btw.. Also it wasn't a brief period of time, it was pretty much until they pulled out. It happened pretty much everywhere.

BKK

No, 2600 unofficial distibution COMBINED with 2800 sales is the best selling "console" in japan, but combining to things, one that is not even ofiicial, should probably not count.

Also, Jaguar never came out in japan. There were unofficial distibutors.

Also M2 is not the 3DO, so I am not sure what your point is with Panasonic buying out M2 plans, M2 never came out, and 3DO no longer had the rights to it when they sold it which is the exact opposite of the 3DO, which was region free btw.. Also it wasn't a brief period of time, it was pretty much until they pulled out. It happened pretty much everywhere.

OK, I see what you were saying about 2600/2800 now, I misunderstood.

Jaguar was officially distributed in Japan by Mumin Corp. (as was the Lynx). Here's the PR for the launch.

My point about 3DO is that due to it's unique nature it wasn't really an American console in the traditional sense. All the manufacturers were Asian, and the main manufacturer in Japan was Matsushita, who were heavily invested in the format and heavily marketed it there along with courting Japanese third parties. I commented about their purchase of M2 to emphasise just how much Matsushita were invested in the 3DO concept, financially probably more than The 3DO Company themselves. So my point is that in Japan 3DO was very much a Japanese console.

Top Bottom