• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Sold 39.1M Units and PlayStation 4 Sold 76.6M Units by March 2018, Says IHS Markit Research

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
According to research firm IHS Markit, Microsoft’s Xbox One family of consoles sold 39.1 million units globally by the end of March 2018, while Sony’s PlayStation 4 consoles have reached 76.6 million units at the same time.

These estimates are a little bit higher than expected for the Xbox One, though Microsoft did say recently that Xbox One sales had increased by 15% on a year-over-year basis.
https://wccftech.com/xbox-one-39-1m-units-estimated/

Definitely different than those EA estimates for Xbox One.

Skyn3t

Banned
So what? Sales are meaningless for the consumer and despite the gap in units sold, Microsoft makes a whole lot of money from Xbox brand.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I assume that must mean in it's key territories Xbox must be doing fairly well, given the number of places they do no business in at all.

demigod

0 chance this is true. 4.1 million xbox sold from January to end of March is impossible. Plus didn't Sony said they were at 79mil by end of March?

Last edited:

Norse

So in the US that makes it around 40-38 sony-ms which is very close. Of course I'm be silly but it makes you wonder.

splattered

I own two PS4s and one Xbox One. Undeniable proof PS4 is outselling Xbox One exactly 2:1.

I own two Xbox One X systems, two Xbox One S systems, and one PS4 Pro system... so.

(And yes all Xbox systems see activity - wife and I have our own 1X systems, and my kiddos each have their one S system)

WaterAstro

LwijsbV.gif

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
This is good news for everyone if ms is picking up. We need good competition to encourage innovation and to check the other party.

So what? Sales are meaningless for the consumer and despite the gap in units sold, Microsoft makes a whole lot of money from Xbox brand.

Yeah everyone seems to forget Microsoft owns PC gaming. Think of all the Windows 7/8/10 licences sold and the games they sell on Windows Store. Also XBox gamers are more 'engaged' with the platform compared to Sony in that they buy more games & content per user. So the revenue isn't necessarily 2 to 1. More like 1.7 to 1.

WaterAstro

Yeah everyone seems to forget Microsoft owns PC gaming. Think of all the Windows 7/8/10 licences sold and the games they sell on Windows Store. Also XBox gamers are more 'engaged' with the platform compared to Sony in that they buy more games & content per user. So the revenue isn't necessarily 2 to 1. More like 1.7 to 1.
They don't exactly own PC gaming. They own Windows though, as you pointed out. Software sales are certainly different from hardware because of the Windows store, but it's not like Microsoft is seeing a single dime from the PC version of Fortnite.

This is about the consoles though. I still think that Xbox fans shouldn't be so down because they do have PC users to bolster their numbers. It's obviously a good thing for both players and Microsoft. It's just that there are still die-hard fans that want true exclusivity and want to tout Xbox as a must have, but it will never be as long as Microsoft are pushing their PC initiative.

I never understood why a XBox fanboy is so outraged about the Play Anywhere. 90% of PCs are not powerful enough to play AAA games good. Also a lot of people prefer to play in the living room on the couch with a controller. I seriously doubt Play Anywhere impacts the thinking of a potential XBox buyer. What impacts are what exclusive games are on XBox that aren't on PS4. Of course if we're talking indie games, those play on PC just fine.

I own two Xbox One X systems, two Xbox One S systems, and one PS4 Pro system... so.

(And yes all Xbox systems see activity - wife and I have our own 1X systems, and my kiddos each have their one S system)

You are, by far... "the real MVP"

I'm sorry, but I am way too cheap to buy that much of any system. I'd have one system for myself, and one for the family... you guys have to share. No way I'm buying one for each person in the house.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.

Stop with this nonesense.

MS does not get license fees on PC. They don't get XBL subs, they don't get game pass. They don't sell peripherals sales, at least nothing is locked to Windows.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Stop with this nonesense.

MS does not get license fees on PC. They don't get XBL subs, they don't get game pass. They don't sell peripherals sales, at least nothing is locked to Windows.

Im sorry what?

Last edited:
I never understood why a XBox fanboy is so outraged about the Play Anywhere. 90% of PCs are not powerful enough to play AAA games good. Also a lot of people prefer to play in the living room on the couch with a controller. I seriously doubt Play Anywhere impacts the thinking of a potential XBox buyer. What impacts are what exclusive games are on XBox that aren't on PS4. Of course if we're talking indie games, those play on PC just fine.

Do you mean 90% PCs people had no intention of gaming on? We're talking about enthusiast gamers here. People who are spending significant amounts of money on games. Buying a gaming PC or upgrading vs getting an Xbox is absolutely a consideration this demographic makes. I cant count the number of times I've heard "I'll just play it on PC"

A lot of these points are stuck a decade in the past. It's super easy to hook a PC up to your television with HDMI and have it all work. There's also solutions like steam link. I know a few people who use that. Every modern game has gamepad support and even the older ones are typically just a trip to the PC gaming wiki away from working.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
MS does not get a cut of every PC game sold (only those games sold in MS's own store, which is not popular). PC gamers don't have to pay them $10 a month (or whatever) to play online.

Got ya. That is true what you are saying, but Microsoft does get a license fee on every copy of Windows sold, and I know a few people who have subscribed to gamepass on PC just to get Sea of Thieves and Gears 4.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Selling a Windows PC or PC game does not make MS much or anything. ASteam game does not pay license fee while every XB1 game does.

I was referring to the person saying they don't get licensing on PC or gamepass when they indeed get both.

People can spin it any way they want but they do make money on games on PC.

Is it as much as Steam, not even close, but they do sell games in their store and they make money on every copy of Windows 10 sold.

Last edited:

demigod

Their estimate seems really high, good estimator from ERA puts it between 34-36M

Their Xbox is way too high while PS4 is way too low. Xbox was pegged around 35m at the end of 2017. How did they sell 4.1 mil from January to March 31st? That's impossible for Xbox.

Allandor

Im sorry what?
do you sahne say that game publishers must pay a fee for a windows game?
No, definitly not. But you have to pay for windows once ... Well you can get it for >20€ but ....
that is really not a fee.
if you distribute your game through the windows store, yes than the developer/publisher pays a fee, 30% is normal in the digital distribution business, but i think i have heard MS takes less.

Their estimate seems really high, good estimator from ERA puts it between 34-36M
Why should we give a shit about the “good estimator from era” of all place ? IHS Markit’s numbers were considered quite accurate when they fitted a narrative but now suddenly they are wrong ? Give me a break, I Definately trust them over era’s armchair analysts and even EA’s estimations. The narrative was 80 million vs. 30 million just yesterday in era, these are the numbets that were floating around and you always get the sense, with ms’ bullshit policy of not announcing hardware numbers cause they are behind the playstation, that the Xbox is literally selling zero consoles in some quarters or even negative. The Xbox userbase, according to forum fanatics, was stuck at 25 million for a year and the stayed stuck at 30 million until ...today.

Now the PS4 has won decicevely, that is undeniable, but 76 million/39 million is quite different than what we have been reading for years when the Xbox one has been treated as if it was the Wii U. So PS4 the winner, Xbox one with a very healthy userbase, that’s the only undeniable fact.

thelastword

Banned
This firm is way behind the eight ball, besides PS4 was at 79 Million by the end of March 2018 from Sony itself. Estimates of XBOX is way too high and estimates are way too low on PS4..

The XBOX's strongest market is the US and it's getting walloped there, it's inexistent in Japan and most of Europe minus the UK, so it's getting walloped even more in Europe, Asia, Africa, South America and India......There's no way MS is anywhere close to 39 million units, they may have added an extra ten million for shits and giggles however....

Last edited:

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Their Xbox is way too high while PS4 is way too low. Xbox was pegged around 35m at the end of 2017. How did they sell 4.1 mil from January to March 31st? That's impossible for Xbox.

Since Microsoft doesn't release numbers this is an estimate as well. You are using one estimate to say another estimate is wrong which doesn't make a lot of sense.

This firm is way behind the eight ball, besides PS4 was at 79 Million by the end of March 2018 from Sony itself. Estimates of XBOX is way too high and estimates are way too low on PS4..

The XBOX's strongest market is the US and it's getting walloped there, it's inexistent in Japan and most of Europe minus the UK, so it's getting walloped even more in Europe, Asia, Africa, South America and India......There's no way MS is anywhere close to 39 million units, they may have added an extra ten million for shits and giggles however....
Or maybe they even added an extra 20 million for shits and giggles. Posts like this are exactly the narrative I was talking about, people posting crap without any evidence whatsoever (apart from their fantasies behind a keyboard). The fact of the matter is that anybody who has been following numbers for ages knows how reliable IHS Markit is and their estimates have been used in forums for a very long time and well until today I guess they were considered, more or less, to be extremely accurate.

The thing that some people tend to forget is that being close in the U.S+U.K prevents the PS4 from having this gigantic gap that some are imagining because most of the markets the PS4 is crushing the Xbox one are much smaller and can’t create this basically 3-1 world difference that some people are dreaming of. Anyway last post in this thread the real numbers are here so not worth arguing back and forth over them.

thelastword

Banned
That was shipped.
It doesn't matter, we are already mid June after GOW, Detroit Etc..., so those numbers/estimates makes no sense after a higher divide at the beginning of the year from EA.

At the start of the year EA said (or it was extrapolated) that PS4 was 73.6 million and XBOX was 29.4 million. So in March 2018, we know that Sony sold way past 73.6 million. After March 2018 we know Sony moved a tonne of units worldwide due to exclusives et al. So we can expect PS4 to be well over 80 million units sold as of right now....I just want to know where XBOX is sellin it's units, where did it sell those 10 million units?

It is far from being walloped in the US, When PS4/XB ratio is 2:1 in the US, get back to me then.

Every. Single. Post.
That’s what happens when your made up reality is that the Xbox one is the new Wii U and then the biggest research analyst in the world comes and destroys this fantasy. I guess in this made up reality MS has left the console industry already.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Xbox one is just a ps3 waiting to wreck the 360.
The way shit is going now it is only a question of when. Xbox will dominate ps4.
All these new studios. Damn
BEAST
E
A
S
T

Xbox one is just a ps3 waiting to wreck the 360.
The way shit is going now it is only a question of when. Xbox will dominate ps4.
All these new studios. Damn
BEAST
E
A
S
T
An Xbox console will never beat a playstation console, for a number of reasons. That doesn’t mean it can’t have a very good and healthy userbase and marketshare and if they went from the Xbox one launch disaster to respectable numbers, and with MS’ new focus in video games, it’s obvious that the next Xbox will do quite a bit better. I would expect an 1.4/1 ratio next gen between Sony and ms.

demigod

Since Microsoft doesn't release numbers this is an estimate as well. You are using one estimate to say another estimate is wrong which doesn't make a lot of sense.

If the 35mil was wrong, MS would've came out and said it. They were quick to say EA were wrong. Of course they won't come out to say IHS is wrong since it'll look better than the 30mil EA estimated. IHS is just an estimate as well. So are we supposed to take their numbers as gospel? I'd rather get the numbers from VGchartz over these guys.

It doesn't matter, we are already mid June after GOW, Detroit Etc..., so those numbers/estimates makes no sense after a higher divide at the beginning of the year from EA.

At the start of the year EA said (or it was extrapolated) that PS4 was 73.6 million and XBOX was 29.4 million. So in March 2018, we know that Sony sold way past 73.6 million. After March 2018 we know Sony moved a tonne of units worldwide due to exclusives et al. So we can expect PS4 to be well over 80 million units sold as of right now....I just want to know where XBOX is sellin it's units, where did it sell those 10 million units?

EA's numbers were wrong, estimation was around 35mil(probably below 35mil and not higher). 4.1 mil is impossible in those 3 months for Xbox.

thelastword

Banned
At this point EA can't be wrong if MS never gave numbers. At least we know Sony's shipped numbers, but what are MS's?

So next week, anyone can come and say XBOX is at 60 million estimated with no corrobaration, but of course we know XBOX is not lighting anything up.

Top Bottom