• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Sold 39.1M Units and PlayStation 4 Sold 76.6M Units by March 2018, Says IHS Markit Research

Did you ever consider the possibility that IHS's numbers weren't completely accurate and were HIGHER than actual sales? Beside launch months in 2013, Xbone was never in same selling pace like PS4. NEVER.
Given the US is where it is in terms of sales volumes, I don't think it's even remotely far fetched to assert the rest of the planet as having another 19 million unit sales over 4 1/2 years.

Last edited:
So what? Sales are meaningless for the consumer and despite the gap in units sold, Microsoft makes a whole lot of money from Xbox brand.
C'mon don't be so dismissive lol.

A gap in sales this large shows how one product appeals to the average consumer better than the other. People are free to like Xbox, but it's clear that people liked PlayStation more this generation.

MS should take notes on what Sony did to achieve this. Actually they already have by increasing their first-party potential and studio count. It'll probably help to keep DRM policies off the platform too.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Let's talk about next gen: XB(whateverthefuckitscalled) is gonna have an insanely strong start because it's gonna launch with GamesPass. I think we'll see a big flip.
You think MS is going to launch it's brand new console with all it's first party new gen shiny software available on gamepass day 1? That's not happening. I doubt even EA access will be on XB2 on day 1. I don't think penetration is that great for EA's service on consoles currently, farless at a new launch.....MS, EA and all of the companies will want to maximize profit at launch based on all their investments in improved game engines, larger dev teams and financial investments to recoup on hardware and software for next gen, you're not achiveing that with a 500k-1mill consoles on launch day with GamePass. These companies will want to sell all their games at $60.00....Remember, games that may not sell well later in the gen, will usually sell many units at 60.00 at a console's launch....

Xbox One has sold 21 million in the Unites States, that would mean the remainder of the world is roughly 19 million sales or 47.5% of their market share.
Does that sound about right to you? That MS has sold just about as many consoles in other parts of the world compared to the US, which is it's strongest region by a metric tonne...

I'd believe EA numbers over the other analyst firms. The only problem with the EA numbers is that they didn't account for some regions that's why the Xbox One numbers were low.
Fair enough, but EA's numbers is still a worldwide number and the other firms never explain how they break down their numbers per region, so I'm not sure how their numbers would align to be anything within realistic parameters.....besides extrapolating on PS numbers of course, because that information is out there....Anyway, is there info on the regions EA excluded though, because I know they have a presence pretty much everywhere, especially in Europe, US, even Africa for Fifa et al.... ?

In all this rambling you forgot one thing. MS already said EA was wrong. So who knows more about sold numbers? EA or MS? Oh, i forgot. That doesn't count because it's all lies, right? So we have MS and IHS saying the numbers are higher than what EA has estimated. It's a wrap...eh.
What is so hard for you to understand? The conversation went like this;

I heard you got a 50 on your test MS?
No, I did not get a 50 on my test....
What did you get then?
I did not get a 50 ok!..

Is that what we should be taking as gospel in a thread like this.....

I'm not even saying that XBOX is still at 29 million, obviously that isn't so at the present, but then PS sales/figures have had even more momentum recently. In the final analysis, these estimates really mean nothing at the present because PS4 sales is way past 76.6 million at the minute anyway......Figures like this will be more meaningful when both parties announce figures instead of tracking companies going on meanders on estimates, where we are lacking all insight on how they were deduced....Of course, you know how that can be solved, but MS is not playing ball, so there's no need to be talking about MS figures here, because it's not factual or official data and it's not extrapolated on anything like shipped numbers that you get with SONY.

Last edited:
So what? Sales are meaningless for the consumer and despite the gap in units sold, Microsoft makes a whole lot of money from Xbox brand.
Also sales are meaningful for the consumer. Fanboys will use them for ego boosts and validation of their purchases, but even the average PS4 gamer can look at the success of the console and feel anticipation for the upcoming games and the next console - a product that will likely satisfy them more.

Does that sound about right to you? That MS has sold just about as many consoles in other parts of the world compared to the US, which is it's strongest region by a metric tonne...
Yeah, I don't see why not, that's 194 other countries and 7.3 billion people that are not Americans.

It being about a 50/50 split between the US and abroad doesn't seem off.

TannerDemoz

You think MS is going to launch it's brand new console with all it's first party new gen shiny software available on gamepass day 1? That's not happening. I doubt even EA access will be on XB2 on day 1, i don't think penetration is that great for EA on consoles with the service, farless at launch.....MS, EA and all of the companies will want to maximize profit at launch based on all their investments in improved game engines, larger dev teams and financial investments hardware and software for next gen, you're not achiveing that with a 500k-1mill consoles on launch day with GP. These companies will want to sell all their games at $60.00....Remember, games that may not sell well later in the gen, will sell many units at 60.00 on a console launch....

That's a really fair point, but I think their selling point will be launching on day 1 with complete access to their entire back catalogue on Game Pass and whatever new first party titles they have planned on Day 1 with Game Pass. All they need to do is bump the price of the pass. They're not dumb. I think holding back software from Game Pass to launch separately (if that's what you're suggesting, apologies if not) after they've committed to putting everything on there would be dumb.

But it's true though. If you have a PS4 and PC, you can play every Microsoft game without buying an Xbox and still enjoy PS4 exclusives.

This thread about the console sales, which Xbox will suffer because of Play Anywhere, but Microsoft will benefit.

What is the intersection of overall gamers that own a high-end PC + PS4? I don't think Microsoft is overly worried about losing that demographic in the short-term as they work on their 1st party situation.

Yeah, I don't see why not, that's 194 other countries and 7.3 billion people that are not Americans.

It being about a 50/50 split between the US and abroad doesn't seem off.

It's off! You DELIBERATELY ignoring a fact that Xbone sales are in the decline ROTW since beginning of 2018. And Xbone is selling at same pace like PS4 WW in first 4 months in 2018? LOL! Let's see. During April 2018 PS4 outsold Xbone for more than 2 : 1 in US. Yes, Xbone is selling at same pace. Also in Japan too.

I really hope that, for example, Superdata will say that Xbone has sold in 45 million units till April 2018. Yes, you will swallow that too. Of course, you will say - it's not far off.

Naaah, why bother anyway.

Last edited:

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
You really think IHS has more information than EA as far as sales and console penetration is concerned....Ubisoft or Activision? MS has not been forthcoming at all with numbers, it's easy to extrapolate from Sony's declared shipped numbers for such a company, why? Just deduct a few million from Sony's 79 million figure and voila! your figures don't look insane....On the flip, what information is IHS using to get the MS figure......So you mean to tell me, the whole time Sony was comfortably ahead of MS in excess of 2:1, but it's not quite so anymore? What gave MS that momentum? Do you realize that apart from NA, which XBOX is being outsold in by a good bit (I mean just last NPD PS4 outsold the XBOX and Wii combined), the xbox brand is not doing stellar sales anywhere else. Spain, UK, Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Australia, New Zealand, Greece, Africa, India, South America, Larger Asian continent and then Japan?

I have no issues if XBOX has a solid base, but let's do it based on solid info, the information here are just guesses and more so of a guess in MS's case because there's less to work with. So in that case it's all up to who is feeling generous or perhaps not so generous when giving MS a figure.....with the exception being EA.....

You guys keep laying it thick that EA access is the second coming, but guess what, who's providing that servcie to MS, is it not EA? Don't you think they will have more info than you, IHS, Pachter etc...They know how much of the XBOX base they've penetrated with their service, they know the total installbase they're targetting on XBOX and they know the installbase of the PS4 base they have no access to. For XBOX, you don't think EA knows that they only have say (3-5%) penetration of the XBOX market and are privy to information you would not based on their status and business deals?????

Let's be clear here, EA did not give an MS figure directly, it was extrapolated, it's business in the sense that; MS is their partner and has a stance on figures, so they would never betray that. However, you can ride the lines and do nothing wrong...In essence, most of the information deduced was done so primarily because of ONE thing....The fact that we all know Sony's numbers. So yes, Information can only be accurate and deduced if you have some info to work with, without knowing Sony's numbers we would not even be having this conversation, but then, here we are....

It's a simple thing really, all MS has to do is to give numbers directly and I'll believe it. Does Zhuge have MS numbers and EA doesn't, come on now. What is his breakdown per region, what does he have? I tell you what, he's guessing just like IHS. The company which has EA access on XBOX knows how many XBOX consoles they're dealing with, they have info on the installbase. I'll take their word over any guessing game anyone else does.....It's strange too, because XBOX fans said they like the way MS is reporting numbers (which is nothing substantial, this gen), then the minute someone gives a more favorable estimate than the other million estimates before it, they're now stoked with numbers and it's the one to believe over more credible sources....So do you want real numbers or not? The only people who have the latest up to date number is MS, tell them to give it and all is solved, because you can't be over-generous as in estimates or lie on official numbers. At this point, the only official numbers we have is from Sony and EA is the closest thing to official numbers from MS you are going to get...

Zhuge has NPD Numbers.

For all your ranting, which I completely ignored, I never said IHS Numbers were right. Not once. I also never said Sony lost sales. Not once.

All I said was that EA’s Numbers are off. Which they are.

If according to NPD, Microsoft sold over 4 million Xbox consoles in the US alone, then how could EA’s number of 3.8 million worldwide be correct?

magnumpy

well good job for these huge corporations. even nintendo is selling large numbers of videogames. even PC (steam, nvidia, ati, etc) is pulling large numbers. videogames in general are popular.

I want to get an XBOXONE for Cuphead 1 & 2...the other reason was Scalebound...I’m still hopeful there will be ports for PS4 or switch one day

stranno

XBO: 246 millions of games.
PS4: 532 millions of games.
Both with disc games, digital games, bundles, shared accounts, etc.

PS2: 1.660 millions of games.
Disc games only.

Now, thats amazing.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Xbox one is just a ps3 waiting to wreck the 360.
The way shit is going now it is only a question of when. Xbox will dominate ps4.
All these new studios. Damn
BEAST
E
A
S
T

Joke post? Xbox is over this gen. Will their investment into next gen work wonders? We will have to wait a few years. They have nothing left this gen.

thelastword

Banned
Zhuge has NPD Numbers.

For all your ranting, which I completely ignored, I never said IHS Numbers were right. Not once. I also never said Sony lost sales. Not once.

All I said was that EA’s Numbers are off. Which they are.

If according to NPD, Microsoft sold over 4 million Xbox consoles in the US alone, then how could EA’s number of 3.8 million worldwide be correct?
At any time they're giving these estimates, who isn't off at the time of reporting? They're estimates, to say EA's number is wrong is to declare that you know the real number up to the minute or that Zhuge does and EA is talking out it's ass. Even if Zhuge has NPD numbers, he doesn't have worlwide numbers and we're talking about WW numbers here FYI. It's also foolish to believe that Zhuge has more information on XBOX sales than EA. I mean come on.....

At any time they're giving these estimates, who isn't off at the time of reporting? They're estimates, to say EA's number is wrong is to declare that you know the real number up to the minute or that Zhuge does and EA is talking out it's ass. Even if Zhuge has NPD numbers, he doesn't have worlwide numbers and we're talking about WW numbers here FYI. It's also foolish to believe that Zhuge has more information on XBOX sales than EA. I mean come on.....
Yet, MS said EA was wrong. They haven't said Zhuge or IHS was wrong. You keep making excuses for them saying that. Do we know that Zhuge and IHS has the exact correct numbers? Nope. Do we know that EA's numbers were wrong? Yup. You are being "foolish" "talking out of your ass" because you certainly can't say you know more than MS does about its own sales numbers over EA.

Last edited:

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

So...you completely ignored most of my post?

I just said that according to EA's previously released numbers and the more recent ones, Microsoft apprently only sold 3.8 million consoles worldwide in 2017.

Zhuge has NPD numbers which are US only, but even in the US alone they sold 4 million plus in 2017.

So either EAs numbers are wrong, or they're not including a certain region or are counting something different to what NPD do.

AgentP

I'm guessing MS stuffed the channels during the holidays. Why else would there still be 500G FH3 and Minecraft bundles? Sony only has 1TB SKUs and the bundles that were around during Xmas have been long gone for months.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I'm guessing MS stuffed the channels during the holidays. Why else would there still be 500G FH3 and Minecraft bundles? Sony only has 1TB SKUs and the bundles that were around during Xmas have been long gone for months.

Joke post? Do you have any idea how retail works? or think Microsoft just get to dump millions of consoles on retailers that apparently can't move the ones they have? Retailers order quarterly to demands. Where are these bundles still for sale? They've been sold out since I can remember, and not available online. Or is there some boxes sitting in a store only local to you?

demigod

Joke post? Do you have any idea how retail works? or think Microsoft just get to dump millions of consoles on retailers that apparently can't move the ones they have? Retailers order quarterly to demands. Where are these bundles still for sale? They've been sold out since I can remember, and not available online. Or is there some boxes sitting in a store only local to you?

Joke post or are you serious? MS does channel stuff. They had assassin’s creed unity bundles MONTHS after the holidays. Hell you could’ve gotten xbox one day one edition 1 year after it came out.

NPD may numbers for xbox at 145k. Impossible for them to sell 4mil in 3 months after the holidays.

AgentP

If you have 10-20 extra consoles in tens of thousands of retailers then you are stuffing the channels. What other good reason is there for six months of 500GB bundles from 2017? They are just now going OOS on Amazon and replaced with 1TB SKUs. It also explains why MS had a soft sale for 500GB models, selling for $200-$250 for the last half year.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Joke post or are you serious? MS does channel stuff. They had assassin’s creed unity bundles MONTHS after the holidays. Hell you could’ve gotten xbox one day one edition 1 year after it came out.

NPD may numbers for xbox at 145k. Impossible for them to sell 4mil in 3 months after the holidays.

No one brought up day one editions at all and I wouldn't argue with it from the launch.

That's my entire point, they didn't stuff the channels with millions of consoles to make up NPD numbers like Agent is claiming if they're only moving 150k a quarter.

Mochilador

Well, we can only speculate since we don't have official data from MS.
I hope they are doing ok, they have a great platform.

joe_zazen

So...you completely ignored most of my post?

I just said that according to EA's previously released numbers and the more recent ones, Microsoft apprently only sold 3.8 million consoles worldwide in 2017.

Zhuge has NPD numbers which are US only, but even in the US alone they sold 4 million plus in 2017.

So either EAs numbers are wrong, or they're not including a certain region or are counting something different to what NPD do.

Iirc, ea was talking about install base (maximum possible sales for a game theoretically), which is what they and their oners care about; not gross sales of a console. Idk how they came to that number, but I’m guessing they have a better idea than any of us what the maximum potential audience is.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Iirc, ea was talking about install base (maximum possible sales for a game theoretically), which is what they and their oners care about; not gross sales of a console. Idk how they came to that number, but I’m guessing they have a better idea than any of us what the maximum potential audience is.

An install base is the same as sales no?

Unless they mean active install base which would also explain the PS4 numbers being a touch lower.

joe_zazen

An install base is the same as sales no?

Unless they mean active install base which would also explain the PS4 numbers being a touch lower.

I’m guessing active. console sold - (replacements sold + double dippers + broken + netflix only machines]. That sort of thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom