• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Summer Game Fest 2020 demo event set for July 21 to 27

Mista

Banned
Xbox-Demo-Event-SGF_07-01-20.jpg

Microsoft will host a Summer Game Fest 2020 demo event on Xbox One from July 21 to 27, the company announced.

During the course of the event, demos for “somewhere between 75 and 100” games will be playable via the Game Fest Demo tile on the Xbox One Dashboard.

Here are a few notes, via Microsoft:
  • These are not normal “game demos.” Typically, the demos you see in our Demo channel are created after the game is completed (or nearly completed) and represent the final version. Many of these demos are early, and some are for games that won’t be out for quite some time. We’ve never done this before; what that means is that you’ll get to experience these games early – some way early – which is awesome, but you should also note that these games will continue to evolve and be polished as they near release. In other words, think of these as akin to “show floor demos” and not necessarily indicative of the final product. And speaking as somebody who has worked in the industry for a while – that’s not a bad thing! In fact, being able to check out games early and then see how they evolve is freakin’ awesome!
  • These demos will only be up on the Xbox Dashboard for a week. Some might be re-published to the Demo channel later, but many will simply evaporate at the end of the week, so make sure to check them out while you can.
  • The developers would love to hear what you think. Hit them up on social media or through their websites. If you like the game – tell them! If you have constructive criticism, they would love to hear that too
And here are just a few of the demos that will be available:
  • Cris Tales – A gorgeous, indie love letter to classic Japanese RPGs with a new perspective. Peer into the past, act in the present, and watch as your choices dynamically change the future — all on one screen as you play!
  • Destroy All Humans! – The cult-classic returns! Terrorize the people of 1950’s Earth in the role of the evil alien Crypto-137. Use an assortment of alien weaponry and psychic abilities in the remake of the legendary alien invasion action adventure. Reduce cities to rubble with your flying Saucer! One giant step on mankind!
  • Haven – Share the journey of two lovers escaped to a lost planet in a desperate attempt to stay together. You play as Yu and Kay, gliding over the grasslands of a shattered planet. The demo will give you a glimpse of the beginning of the adventure.
  • Hellpoint – An intense action RPG taking place on Irid Novo, a derelict space station soaked in an intoxicating dark sci fi atmosphere. Fight dreadful creatures, face the Cosmic Gods and unravel their twisted story. Should the challenge be too great, play with a friend in local or online coop
  • Skatebird – Grind on bendy straws, kick-flip over staplers, and carve killer lines through cardboard and sticky tape parks. Above all else, skate birds try their best!
  • The Vale: Shadow of the Crown – An audio based, action-adventure game that unlocks the full potential of 3D spatial sound. The Vale sets out to breathe new life into medieval combat and provide a truly novel experience for visually impaired and sighted gamers alike.
  • Raji: An Ancient Epic – An action-adventure game set in ancient India. A young girl named Raji has been chosen by the gods to stand against the demonic invasion of the human realm. Her destiny? To rescue her younger brother and face the demon lord Mahabalasura.
  • Welcome to Elk – A biographical adventure set on an island like no other, where every character you encounter has a story to tell. From the weird and wonderful to the dark and desperate, all the tales told on Elk are based on true stories of life on the road less traveled
Gematsu

WHAAAAT?!? That's awesome! As someone who's never been to or had an opportunity to go to any Gaming Expo, I've ALWAYS wanted them to put the demos on psn/xbl during the show.

Ok Microsoft, I see you. Maybe I go for Series X in 2020 if they come through with the games. Speaking of games... THEY'RE SHOWING 75 TO 100 GAME DEMOS...?? That is insane.

I hope they put the Halo Infinite and AC Valhalla demos up!

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait for that week as the Xbox Series X showcase will be the major event. So looking forward to that week. Having playable game demos on Xbox One are cool as publishers rarely if ever do that before the respective game releases.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
And well that's when conference is going to be held? Because that's pretty far away...

Rolla

Banned
These are not normal “game demos.” Typically, the demos you see in our Demo channel are created after the game is completed (or nearly completed) and represent the final version. Many of these demos are early, and some are for games that won’t be out for quite some time. We’ve never done this before; what that means is that you’ll get to experience these games early – some way early – which is awesome, but you should also note that these games will continue to evolve and be polished as they near release.

This could be problematic.

Last edited:
This could be problematic.
What’s the problem? For those that can’t attend these kind of events being able to demo these games from the comfort of your couch is a very rare thing. I think this is welcome approach because the majority of us who really buy and play these games are usually left to read articles and wonder how the game is instead of being able to play the games for ourselves.

Kagey K

Banned
Reminds me of when they did the “Bringing it Home” demos during E3 back in the 360 days.

Cant wait to see (play) some upcoming games.

I really hope they have a demo for halo infinite on pc my rtx 2080ti is ready if not I’m still happy to play it on my one x and this event reminds me so much of the E3 360 days 🙌

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Is this separate from the July Series X 1st party event?

I'm thinking so. Microsoft would have said if it's the same "XBOX Game Studious Showcase Event"

And I'm really hoping this is after that event. Which would mean we will see the other event before the 21st.

Fingers crossed.

I think it’s happening at the same time as their “e3” show or a bit after.

Could be that too.

Last edited:
I'm thinking so. Microsoft would have said if it's the same "XBOX Game Studious Showcase Event"

And I'm really hoping this is after that event. Which would mean we will see the other event before the 21st.

Fingers crossed.

Could be that too.

I’m pretty sure they want to be able to say, “and you can play this right now” during the show.

Last edited:

Dee_Dee

Oh wow sounds cool. Plus the 1st party showcase is supposedly that week. Gonna be a good week hopefully for Xbox. Too bad it feels so far away lol

splattered

I've always said one of the few things that disappointed me about the more recent E3 shows is a lack of demos at home... as several other in this thread pointed out it was always awesome on the 360/ps3.

xiseerht

You know what ....... back in the day I would take off a week for E3 and go there. I think I will take off a week to play these games. I mean....between 75-100!!!!! That is huge . Might get me an extra 500 GB HD just for this . I am super excited .

Roberts

Most of them are going to be indie games, but, still, that is amazing. Also, doubt Halo demo is going to be there - MS will try to avoid showing us an inferior version still a few months away from its release. Eventually they will have to, but now it will only create a shitstorm

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuranghi

I wish the demos were on PC too, maybe some will be. Destroy All Humans was already out as a PC demo not that long ago so I'm hopeful.

Kuranghi

In fact, I really hope we get demos of some of the 9 indies from that PS4 indie thing that just happened earlier. I know that was Sony but they said some of the games will be on Xbox too, dying to try out 5 of them at least.

SleepDoctor

Banned
this is great.

As I said earlier, i have a feeling we may get a Halo Infinite beta very close to the event. After this im more confident in that.

DavidGzz

It says playable via the button on the dashboard, I wonder if they're going to use it to test xcloud on a larger scale??

I hope so! I've always thought of Xcloud as being useful as hell in this manner. Testing games to see if you even want to bother to download it. A great way for devs to let people demo games immediately.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
It says playable via the button on the dashboard, I wonder if they're going to use it to test xcloud on a larger scale??

Interesting, I hadn't thought of that. It be a great beta stress test for Xcloud under heavy usage. I'd be willing to use Xcloud under this circumstance.

I just hope they have demos for some good games, not just for a bunch or 2D pixel art indies.

I hope so! I've always thought of Xcloud as being useful as hell in this manner. Testing games to see if you even want to bother to download it. A great way for devs to let people demo games immediately.
In the recent gamelab interview that’s what Phil said developers are using to play games and different build is xcloud so I’m sure you’re right about this.

nikolino840

What’s the problem? For those that can’t attend these kind of events being able to demo these games from the comfort of your couch is a very rare thing. I think this is welcome approach because the majority of us who really buy and play these games are usually left to read articles and wonder how the game is instead of being able to play the games for ourselves.
Maybe becouse not all can understand an "alpha build"
like when journalists go to the devs to see a closed event to try or see a new game

MCplayer

Most of them are going to be indie games, but, still, that is amazing. Also, doubt Halo demo is going to be there - MS will try to avoid showing us an inferior version still a few months away from its release. Eventually they will have to, but now it will only create a shitstorm
Maybe halo infinite MP Beta?

Pantz

Hope I can switch my internet over to something better before then. I probably wouldn't be able to download too many in that one week if not.

Now that's a gaming presentation I can get behind. Hands on game demos right alongside the announcements/trailers/shows. I think all digital just became my favourite thing about current day gaming circumstances. Brings me back to the Wolfenstein demo days.

RPS37

Definitely gonna need GAF to help me figure out what’s actually worth downloading out of 100 demos.

GV82

The question is, can I download and play 100 game demos in one week?

1zUKUfH.jpg

Energy drinks, background downloads as you play another, and leave a few download overnight when you do eventually sleep. Maybe some demos will play between 30 mins or so.

You’d probably have to do about 14 games a day.

The truth is Some of them I guess you got to miss out on. Imagine though you get to play something interesting like P.T disappears never to be seen again, what if some people actually miss out on that type of experience? That should be motivation enough to play as many as possible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom