• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One to only work in certain countries at launch

DBPlayer

Banned
Or pay $30/yr for a fast VPN. That may introduce latency issues for some games and it's a shitty solution to a ridiculous problem that I don't think should exist, but it's a bit easier than moving.

A good VPN is more like $60 a year at least (I use them a lot). Why not save the money and problem by NOT BUYING A XBONE in the first place.

I did earlier, he and a bunch of people retweeted it, then even more people were like "wtf are they thinking". I also saw that Kevin VanOrd, Justin Epperson, Rob Florence and some other journos are now aware of it. They are equally baffled.

Good,let's say if Xbox Support really don't know what's going on,i think high position MS guys will know that,then we will get the answer shortly

So no Japanese games for the Xbone other than Crimson Dragon. looool.

Well about this,it will
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201306/11034700.html

Mar Nosso

Banned
This is a cock up of such epic proportions that not even I, as a Sony fan, could had ever wished them this misfortune had I tried. It really is just bad news after bad news. It has by now far surpassed the PS3 in the shitty console launch competition.

Toparaman

Banned
1) Nobody cares about you.
2) You are one of the most annoying GAFfers (Sendou being another)
3) You always speak as you are the sole member of this forum that is right, and everyone else is wrong. (above statement is a perfect example)
4) Stop wanking over XBONE... it's rather disturbing really.

Wow. I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. Regardless, personal attacks are uncalled for.

Sendou

They may be starting to use IP-based country locking based on the current vague wording. This could fuck over continental Europe as a whole.

Well I would be very surprised if that happened but I guess everything is indeed possible. Until that happens let's speak what is the most likely scenario.

THE REPUBLICAN WAY™

Let's not get into politics but you know what the difference is? It matters as a whole how other people are off in a country. You can't just think of yourself because you're living in a community.

Now we're talking video games. I couldn't give a shit even if tried if a product that I supported got succesful and those questionable policies carried on. As long as they don't affect me I just can't and won't care.

Toparaman

Banned
9028976344_6d799f07a7.jpg

Interesting...

How deep can the rabbit hole go?

Of course you can sell the physical hardware. Can it be activated on another account though?

Green Yoshi

1 billion people in India can't play Xbox One? I know most people there are poor, but it has enough richer gamers that buy games on Xbox Live for 360.

Feel also a little bit sorry for Kim Jong Un. ;-)

Alej

Banned
I don't see a problem if you don't live in an unsupported location.

Blablabla. "I don't care", "i'm a privileged man" and all of this stuff really scare me.
Don't you understand even the console is becoming a service?

You don't own it anymore. It's another restriction for the consumer... What you gain? Nothing.
What you lose? The possibility to travel with your things. Why? Because a company says so. Why they do this? Because they don't want you to import. Why? Because you have to pay the price they have chosen for you and your nationality.

You owe them nothing.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
In any case can someone ask the Twitter account about country locking? Would love to get an official "We don't have a clue either" response.

Majmun

1 billion people in India can't play Xbox One? I know most people there are poor, but it has enough richer gamers that buy games on Xbox Live for 360.

Feel also a little bit sorry for Kim Jong Un. ;-)

The new device will only be available in select Asian markets – Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea and India

It's in the OP :p

watership

This is just sad. Not trying to be anticlimactic here but I'm feeling sorry for the guys working at MS. (Not for pushing this shit on us, but maybe losing jobs because of no units sold.)

They'll sell. They obviously are looking at a long game here. I wouldn't be surprised if they said "We're going to get the shit kick out of us for the first few years, but after the dust settles, we'll be ahead of the game."

Acorn

Guys lay off the poor support workers. They aren't execs they are lowly customer service reps just trying to do a job, get paid and go home.

Timeless

What a joke. I assume this is region-locking based on IP address? How much starker can they make the difference between PS4 and Xbox One?

Amir0x

Banned
Let's not get into politics but you know what the difference is? It matters as a whole how other people are off in a country. You can't just think of yourself because you're living in a community.

Now we're talking video games. I couldn't give a shit even if tried if a product that I supported got succesful and those questionable policies carried on. As long as they don't affect me I just can't and won't care.

You're part of a global community. Supporting Xbox One's horrific policies and potentially making it a success fucks others in the global community by allowing such practices to gain a foothold and potentially continue in the future.

It's fine if you want to be selfish (we're all selfish in our own ways), but you can't claim you're on your own little island with this.

So about this gamespot poll, how come Saudi Arabia, a country with 29 million people in it, cast 2.5 times the number of votes that the US did?

Surely bots or marketing agencies are voting, because if you look at it, it's the most Xbone country out there... it's like, trying to tip the scale.

Or, like someone else mentioned, some gaming forum having fun.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Yea I can't read Japanese...

日本でのXbox One発売が確定
Xbox One will release in Japan

China and the US is a bad example as that one wouldn't be so surprising. I'm more dreading the probability of someone from Belgium not being able to buy games he bought 5 km across the border in the Netherlands due to IP blocking or whatever other thing they might think of. Not the "traditional" PAL, NTSC divide.

That Dumitru Tudor dude is from Romania

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Guys lay off the poor support workers. They aren't execs they are lowly customer service reps just trying to do a job, get paid and go home.

I don't see many people insulting them, a lot of them actually feel sorry for them. As it stands however, it's their job to answer these questions regardless of whether they are currently equipped to do so and it's the only direct channel people outside the press have as no journalist afaik has asked an exec yet.

Falcs

Banned
How is it possible that Microsoft just keeps on fucking up over and over and over and over and over again? I just don't get it.
I hope this kind of shit doesn't start happening with their dominating range of PC Software.

*Remembers Windows 8*

Ah shit!

Top Bottom