• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One to only work in certain countries at launch

commedieu

Banned
lol, they're actually ip blocking it? it's not just dumb "everything's tied to your live account, and we only officially have live accounts where we've launched"?

I've said it before, but this completely locks it in. First major console I completely skip since Jaguar.
but Alien vs predator was too good to pass up :/

I was just reading this article and it raises a damning question for Gemans (and citizens of other countries that like to censore violent games): If Xbox One games only work in "selected countries", will we still be able to import uncut version from other European countries or are we SOL? Will Microsoft block uncut versions of games that are only being released cut in Germany?

Also, will we be able to play indexed games on the One? Games that are classified as so violent that you are still allowed to buy and own them when you're over 18, but which aren't allowed to be openly promoted or distributed?
We don't know yet.

But if each country is indeed their own region (the map shows each country, might have to do something with XBox Live tied to countries and not regions as we know it though) and we can't import from other European countries then we are shit out of luck. Maybe you could buy a UK XBone, set up a UK Live account and use a VPN in that case, not really recommended for online play I guess.

I was just reading this article and it raises a damning question for Gemans (and citizens of other countries that like to censore violent games): If Xbox One games only work in "selected countries", will we still be able to import uncut version from other European countries or are we SOL? Will Microsoft block uncut versions of games that are only being released cut in Germany?

Also, will we be able to play indexed games on the One? Games that are classified as so violent that you are still allowed to buy and own them when you're over 18, but which aren't allowed to be openly promoted or distributed?
https://twitter.com/XboxSupport2/status/345410486608744448

I would say they seems just keep the NTSC/NTSC-J/PAL thing for Xbox One

KiteGr

Greece not included...
Not surprised given the current situation here, but they made my choice to get a PS4 so much easier!

This is way too much, i love Forza and i want to play but now MS wont let me because Chile is not one of the supported countries?

What the hell they are thinking, all this policies are gifting the generation to Sony. The Xbox One seems like a great console in terms of power and controller but this policies are getting worse and worse!

Looks like im not only have to wait untill the console is launch but i have to use the lame xbox live for my country and be limited to regional release.

CRAZY.

No Japan, no China, pretty much none of South America and no smaller European countries?

Shit. Targeting a VERY specific audience won't help boost sales Microsoft.

FyreWulff

Well, that's a pretty interesting workaround to not having to delay a console by a year due to production issues. Just severely limit the countries you'll have it in.

Strax

No rich, small European countries like Iceland, Luxembourg, Monaco, Liechtenstein. (I suppose these might be able to connect to neigboring countries like Sweden and France?)
No Portugal or Poland.
No rich Middle Eastern countries like Israel, UAE, Bahrain.
No rich Asian countries like South Korea, and Japan.
No South Africa or Argentina.

Welp.

Icelanders didn't care for the 360 and bought the PS3 because they know they shouldn't pay for internet and xbox live to play online so the 10-15 people that bought it just downloaded the games illegally and had it offline. I think the PC will be the #1 in like 2-3 years in Iceland.

Glorioso

375572_618704451473805_2112713005_n.jpg

HardRojo

I got friends here in Peru who are very mad about this policy, in fact Angry Joe mentioned them during the interview he had with Major Nelson, my friends went to E3 this year and they got all that information first hand, they weren't happy to know the Xbox One won't work in out homeland at launch.

2MF

Welcome to the slippery slope of giving away the flexibility, convenience and safety granted by consumer rights.

I don't know about this specific issue, but in general, if you accept companies trampling on your rights you're doing yourself and other gamers a disservice. Maybe you don't resell or trade games, maybe you don't care about online required today, but eventually these things will bite you in the ass.

Uga

No big surprise for me considering Microsoft "launched" the 360 here (in Israel) around 2012. My 3 dead 360s only add to the crapload of terrible decisions they made with the Xbone.

PS4 all the way this time.

Top Bottom