• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One to only work in certain countries at launch

lupinko

wait what, half of Europe can't use Xbox One when it launches? does it even launch there? what? i don't understand this at all lol

Don't forget that MS went big for Fifa exclusive DLC too!

I live in the UAE but my Xbox account is for Australia, using a PAL system here - does that mean it will work for me or it wont?

The earlier posts say it's geolocked when logging into the verification servers, so it won't work for you.

So MS told you to basically go either PC, PS4 or Wii U next gen.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's like Sony somehow seized control of MS and is actively driving them into the worst possible direction.
Turn around 180° right now, you dumb fucks!

Phil Harrison is doing such an amazing work.

Demon Ice

Banned
Jesus Christ. So happy I'm dodging this bullet. Just scanning through that list of requirements needed just to play a game on the damn thing makes me feel genuinely sorry for anybody getting one. What a mess.

It's like the exact opposite of the PS4 being region free.

Saty

Xbox One games are for activation and distribution only in specified geographic regions.
I didn't read this as 'games will flat-out not work if you aren't using the console in the countries listed above'. Why wouldn't they word it 'only in the countries specified above'? I think the line is about it being region-locking.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Come on GAF.

Where is the problem?

Just buy a VPN to a supported country.

Won't add much to the mobile tethering.

#dealwithit

MCD

IP check or just a PR list?

Considering the trainwreck this has been, yup, this is IP locked.

Console is dead.

sTeLioSco

Banned
"Xbox One games are for activation and distribution only in specified geographic regions. See game package and/or retailer product information, for each game’s specific geographic regions."

that's the craziest thing i ever read.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I assume this also means the console isn't launching in the unnamed countries since without access to XBL you can't add licenses to your account.

Edit:
I must say that people misunderstand this requirement. The Xbox Live is not officially supported in these countries (no services and support), but people from all countries can sign up as nearby supported country to gain access to online games and other basic features.

Please do not make fun of Microsoft for this, this is an old policy.

I don't think "Sign up to your nearest XBL-supported country" is something Microsoft officially sanctions. Presumably, if XBL isn't offered in the country, the X1 isn't going to be offered, either.

Xbox Live availability

1000px-Xbox_Live_availability_map.svg.png

Half of these territories don't get the console at launch.

kick51

Banned
You tie up your console in media content distribution via third parties and network TV, you get yourself tangled up a serious, largest possible international licensing web. Who knew?

LCfiner

Microsoft's all digital, always online future is so full of restrictions and caveats and compromises, it's almost as if they want it to fail.

What makes digital distribution compelling on smartphones and PCs is supreme convenience. MS has created something which is the exact opposite of that.

daniels

"why would you live there"
"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it's called xbox 360"

The_Monk

And all those FIFA Football DLC's coming first on Xbox One and then don't selling the Console where they could grab a lot of European Fifa fans.

It makes no sense, what's point?

GameSeeker

Remember Xbone is region-locked and requires you to get permission from Microsoft every 24 hours to play any games (and they will record your IP address).

If you don't live in one of the 21 launch countries, you are likely buying a large black paperweight.

On the other hand, PS4 is region-free and doesn't require Sony's permission to play games.

L.O.R.D

i live in the meddle east,,duck me right ?
i have source that the xbox 1 service will reach Saudi arabia and UAE and june/july 2014
its some how a good news, because xbox live service only come to us after 2 years

Top Bottom