• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One to only work in certain countries at launch

I must say that people misunderstand this requirement. The Xbox Live is not officially supported in these countries (no services and support), but people from all countries can sign up as nearby supported country to gain access to online games and other basic features.

Please do not make fun of Microsoft for this, this is an old policy.

I'm quoting you again so more people can see it.

Is this the case, GAF? Can I play and enjoy the Xbox One in my third world country?

gcubed

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/Countries
and this says games using live services are only available in those countries

I don't know anyone that has an 360, but from forums and various local gaming magazines I know that if you just put in a supported country you can play MP, buy stuff from the store etc

Does Japan not have its own xbox live? Because I would assume that if this was the same as the xbox live countries that they wouldn't be missing existing live areas.

Axial

So is it going to be completely region locked, as in checking your iprange and not allowing to even login to your account and play singleplayer games? I'm from Poland and remember back when the 360 launched I had to fake my adress in my XBL profile to be able to use some of the features not available in my region at that time. One more reason to buy a PS4 then I guess.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
what about Monaco?

that's ironic, one of the few countries with people that can afford it.

the general point though is a bigger one. What about those that import (eg aren't official consoles in brazil insanely expensive?). if they have IP locks or other mechanisms preventing anything other than locally published games, it could be a really locked down console even compared to the 360

Tizoc

I'm curious: What'll this mean for someone living in the middle east? Can they still use a UK/European X-box 1?

Majmun

oh ok so this doesn't matter at all. I've been in the UAE for 9 years and have been on the Australian xbox server the whole time. lol at people turning this into another anti MS hate thread. I'll still log in to my Australian account.

You are definitely struggling.

Sorry, but this can't be spinned.

I must say that people misunderstand this requirement. The Xbox Live is not officially supported in these countries (no services and support), but people from all countries can sign up as nearby supported country to gain access to online games and other basic features.

Please do not make fun of Microsoft for this, this is an old policy.

e21c26c076def682a7610c798c283132_xlarge.jpeg

Sorry, your post is probably right but I couldn't control myself :)

GamerJM

Banned
The topic title was kind of misleading. I was expecting an announcement of the Xbox One to launch in certain countries but people would have to wait a few months for Microsoft to support their country, which would be tremendously stupid,.

Tsunamo

Everytime, every damn time I think this clusterfuck can't get any worse than it already is Microsoft proves me wrong.

It's absolutely amazing how worse this gets by the day.

~~Hasan~~

i live in the meddle east,,duck me right ?
i have source that the xbox 1 service will reach Saudi arabia and UAE and june/july 2014
its some how a good news, because xbox live service only come to us after 2 years

hahaha. thats where i live. i am seriously laughing at this so hard i had tears in my eyes 2 minutes ago.
just when you think there is no way MS can **** things up more, then manage to do it somehow.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
What would happen if I bought an XB1 from the UK then moved Spain? Whats gonna happen when I play a game? "Sorry this game is region locked to the UK."

Odahviing

Banned
I'm quoting you again so more people can see it.

Is this the case, GAF? Can I play and enjoy the Xbox One in my third world country?

Yes you can as long as they didn't change the fact that you simply can change your settings on the console.

this thread is 99% people bashing about a console because they don't understand it and all they wan is seeing ms burn and 1% who actually know what this means.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Posted this on another forum I read, here's a response I got:

so......? do you have a point you're going to follow up with or just pointing random launch info about the One

I don't see the problem.

:|

Hana-Bi

It is people in those countries can import a PS4 because it is region free. Looks like the Xbone is the most region restricted console ever. It is locked per country it looks like not even a region.

Seems to me those "geographic regions" are PAL and NTSC territory...

MCD

I'm curious: What'll this mean for someone living in the middle east? Can they still use a UK/European X-box 1?

It depends on what this means.

Are they IP locking it? Will they not allow fake accounts every importer used on X360?

Here is the current X360 list: ttp://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/countries

Even if your country not listed, you can still use an Xbox Live account with a fake US address and play everything but IP locked content like movies in general and some games.

Someone need to confirm if they will employ an IP lock or not.

CD Projekt: "Poland is proud to present you with our finest piece of software ever for Xbone, The Witcher 3!!!"

MS: "We here at Microsoft are eternally grateful for your contribution to ensure that the Xbox One will be home to the greatest games on the planet. To express our gratitude, we are proud to announce that the entire country of Poland is hereby banned from using the Xbox One! Goodnight everybody! You're awesome!"

Ikaruga!

Neo Member
Oh, well this is great news!

People where afraid what countries with bad Internet Connection would do with an xBone. Now they can rest assured: It just won't work anyway :)

Enosh

Does Japan not have its own xbox live? Because I would assume that if this was the same as the xbox live countries that they wouldn't be missing existing live areas.
no idea
all i am trying to say that even if your country doesn't show up on a "officially supported" list it doesn't always mean doom, I know live ins't supported now and psn wasn't supported until 2 or 3 years ago yet people still played everything fine

again it is possible that they will do some stupid stuff due to the DRM bullshit they have going on, just reporting what i know about Live living in a country that isn't on the officially supported list for it

Top Bottom