• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One to only work in certain countries at launch

FeiRR

Banned
Is that so? I don't really know any numbers, if there even are any, my opinion is based on purely anecdotal evidence (i.e. all of my gaming friends have X360s, only some of them also have PS3) Not that I care, never intended to buy Xbone anyway :)
Earlier this year official Sony Poland Facebook stated that there are over 500k PS3s in Poland. If you count in PS2s and other Sony consoles, the number must be well over 1M. When I had a 360, my friends' list was empty because I didn't know anybody to put on it. I guess it all depends on where you live and how old you are.

What an irony. I've just returned home after picking up TLOU Ellie Edition, all nicely published and translated, with professional actors doing voices for the game (I'll play in English anyway but I appreciate the effort). This happens with every single Sony game, also most multiplats. I remember my surprise when GT5 came with a nice book on cars, 200 pages. I work as a translator, I know how much it costs to translate, edit and print such a thing.

Microsoft never cared (neither does Nintendo), all they could offer were subtitles, even for Kinect games. They finally managed to bring XBL here 2 years ago. They sell MSP for horrendous prices. They probably think now that we don't have broadband and live in wooden boxes in the middle of the street. Well, my 500 euros is waiting for the PS4 and some launch games. I guess SCEP won't have a problem with taking it [insert appropriate takemymoney.gif].

syko de4d

i don't see japan ...

So this means that i can expect all Jrpgs to go on pS4 as the default route ? ( or wii U but i somehow doubt that )

and with self publishing + region free it could happen that every Japan Game will be in the Digital Store around the world, because why not? Just put some English text in it with jap. synchro and sell it online.

Can someone explain this?

•Terms include binding arbitration with class action waiver to resolve disputes.

You agree to give up your right to bring a class action lawsuit to resolve any disputes you may have.

Seems to be a legal grey area.

As of November 2007, the legal validity of contracts of adhesion with class action waivers is unclear, and courts have rendered mixed and sometimes contradictory opinions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_action

fertygo

Yeah this can't be true.. you can use UK account or something. But who the fuck know how their online check thing work.

Majmun

i read it again and it seems like these are the launch countries.
nobody expects a worldwide ps4 launch do they ?

Sure, but you could import the Ps4 and it'll work. It doesn't even have a region lock.

People from Portugal (example) won't be able to import a Xbox One because it won't work there.

SiRatul

i read it again and it seems like these are the launch countries.
nobody expects a worldwide ps4 launch do they ?

The PS4 will not launch worldwide but I think people still can import the console and play no matter what country they are in. Seems like that won't work with xbone.

Ifrit

Ms just made my decision even easier (even though I already made it), I can't play the XBONE where I live. PS4 it is then

RM8

Is center and south America not a good market for Xbox? Here in Mexico people are rather fond of Xbox 360 (and cheap consoles, and piracy, lol).

I hear DRM echoing tonight
My new console only whispers
I cannot play games on it at all
Will I have to use a proxy tonight?
I cannot even get the Xbox Guide to appear on my new console.
I miss young people calling thing "gay",
Having fun playing games even offline is now just an distant memory
Then Kaz turned to me too me as if to say,
Hurry boy, we're waiting here for you

I thought it would take a lot to make me get away from you
But now there nothing my hundred friends can even do
Xbone does not work in Africa
Gonna get a PS4 now - enjoy all the games we never had

I want to play Watch_Dogs on launch night
I just grow restless, wishing Microsoft was a better company
I know that I must do what's right
As sure as Kratos angrily scales Mount Olympus holding a PS3
I got no online game to find, frightened of what Microsoft's become

Gonna get a PS4 now - enjoy the games we never had

(Instrumental break)

Xbone does not work in Africa.
Beautiful.

f0TIMty.png

People gaming on nuclear submarine are in luck then!

I hear DRM echoing tonight
My new console only whispers
I cannot play games on it at all
Will I have to use a proxy tonight?
I cannot even get the Xbox Guide to appear on my new console.
I miss young people calling thing "gay",
Having fun playing games even offline is now just an distant memory
Then Kaz turned to me too me as if to say,

Gonna get a PS4 now - enjoy all the games we never had

I want to play Watch_Dogs on launch night
I just grow restless, wishing Microsoft was a better company
I know that I must do what's right
As sure as Kratos angrily scales Mount Olympus holding a PS3
I got no online game to find, frightened of what Microsoft's become

(Instrumental break)

Just sang this entire thing in my head. Good work

Espada

Man, if this wasn't accompanied by official documentation I would've cried BS. Why? Because this is exceedingly dumb, even for a corporation. This focus on DRM has a whole bunch of drawbacks in terms of practicality.

Hindle

Banned
I'm thinking theyve identified the key gaming markets, and that's what they'll focus on at start. So Germany, France, UK, AUS, NA will get thier main attention.

Oh Scandinavia too.

Edit. Basically the markets listed are the revelent markets and they will get the attention. I expect Sony will try and sell thier machine to places like Uzbekistan, maybe they see it as a revelent market.

Majmun

I can't wait to hear how publishers will react to this. They probably knew about it months ago, I wonder.

-edit-

Odahviing
Banned
(Today, 06:10 PM)

Oops

cameron

What's the point of restricting online authentication of games to certain countries? The hardware does the region check, so the country shouldn't matter.

And if you can bypass the country block by a dashboard system setting, then why even bother?

I wonder how much of this staggered launch has to do with the rumor that the original plan was "always online" with phone-homes at a greater frequency than once every 24 hours. Surely, they didn't want Diablo3/SimCity like launches and they might not have been able to get enough servers up and running for a worldwide launch. Then the yield issues forced their hand even though they scaled back the DRM a bit.

Top Bottom