• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One to only work in certain countries at launch

Yeah, unfortunately i see that as a likely outcome as well.

I'm gonna do my part by letting people know about microsoft's plans with the Xbox Juan to my friends, relatives, and i'll even take it to the digital social networks, hell if there were people out on launch date with banners alerting people about Juan i'd do it for free as well.
I don't know about the US, but the UK is a very fickle region; we'll buy which ever is cheaper.

Everyone moved from PS2 to Xbox 360, just like everyone will move from Xbox 360 to PS4.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I wonder if they include Brazil in order to cover more of the map. My country is 3rd world according to MSFT. I remember that they pushed the 360 really hard here (Chile), there will be a lot of pissed customers.

Guevara

This might be the funniest part of the whole debacle yet. MS is actually preventing people from buying their new console. It's incredible.

Zaventem

Some people just want to watch the world burn

No matter it's only a small number of people.

PS4.png

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone tweeted support to confirm country locking already?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
[
Yep. Sony is officially present here. Warranty, SKUs, games, accessories. Hell, even PSN and buying stuff in local currency.

Yeah, Sony is doing great, they are very responsive and I think that we will be able to get PS4 online stuff from day 1. Also quite good in store advertising of PS brand here in Slovenia (the main irony is that most of our consoles are bought in Austria, and even more will be due to VAT increase on 1st of July).

And MS? They talked that we will be included 2 years ago...all went quiet after that. They swapped several 'representatives' and they ignored out emails. Screw them I say.

Biker19

Banned
Xbox One to only work in certain countries at launch:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/pre-order-xbox-one/disclaimer

Australia
Austria
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Ireland
Italy
Mexico
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Russia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
United Kingdom
United States

Wow. So that means that those who don't live in these countries will either have to buy themselves a Wii U &/or a PS4 to continue console gaming next gen, or move to another country where Xbox One is supported just to try out Microsoft's new console.

Why in the world are MS trying to limit themselves here?

So they are going to try and experiment with region pricing? That's nice I guess.

Most other countries can use a VPN to activate some games.

Crunch King

Neo Member
It only gets worse...

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1961910/xbox_one_requires_terms_of_use_class_action_waiver.html

Perhaps the most worrying statement to be found in the Xbox One disclaimer, surrounds consumer rights after the mandatory Terms Of Use has been signed upon switching on your new console.

"You must accept Xbox Terms of Use (including Xbox software terms and game license terms), Microsoft Services Agreement, and Xbox One 1-year limited warranty. Some games have additional license terms."

"Terms include binding arbitration with class action waiver to resolve disputes."

cluderi

"If you need us later on we'll be right here"

Wow, MS just seem to be falling over everywhere lately. So you buy an XBone from an enabled country, take it home, plug it in and it says "Sorry your country is not supported yet, be sure to check in later to see if you can play that disc you bought"

louiedog

Wow. So that means that those who don't live in these countries will either have to buy themselves a Wii U &/or a PS4 to continue console gaming next gen, or move to another country just to try out Microsoft's new console.

Why in the world are MS trying to limit themselves here?

Or pay $30/yr for a fast VPN. That may introduce latency issues for some games and it's a shitty solution to a ridiculous problem that I don't think should exist, but it's a bit easier than moving.

luffeN

Well, Microsoft said at their press conference that the Xbox One will launch in over 21 countries. That is just the list :D

Ra1den

This is beyond amazing. It's like Microsoft is doing everything in their power to give Sony the advantage. Mind boggling.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
MS must and will change these restrictions soon after the console release, if not I don't know... All of this seems so suicidal. Why do they hate themselves?
I don't know about them, but they definitely hate their customers.

But what about Dubai?
If you played Spec Ops: The Line, then you'll probably know that games aren't one of their top priorities right now!

It's funny: ever since I played that game, I can't go a whole month without hearing that country mentioned (either online or in real life), while prior to that nobody ever talked about it.

You know what's funny? I kinda expected this shit. Ever since the first "always online, Xbone will now everything about you" rumors. But this...somehow...still managed to knock me off my feet. Hard.

Guevara

The only thing I can figure is that MS is making a conscious choice to pull back in favor of profitability. They'll sell fewer consoles (obvious) and fewer games, but those they do sell will be at a higher margin with low (or no) competition from used games, rentals, etc. I think it's a crazy move, but maybe there's some pressure for high margins rather than total sales.

DR2K

Banned
There has got to be a Sony or Nintendo mole making all these executive decsions, it does not make sense any other way.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I hope everyone in those excluded countries boycott EACH and EVERY Microsoft product from now on. This is how this company treats their customers. Do you really want to reward this kind of company with your hard-earned money? Vote with your wallet!
Sorry, but as much as I despise MS' current practices in the video games industry, I'm not going to install Linux on my PC. Win 7 is still a great OS.

Wahooka

Neo Member
That map confirms that my deployed location somewhere in southeast asia will not have Xboners on base.

Hmm.

Why M$ is totally ignoring the military issue of all this is beyond me. Most people I have met on any base I have been at seem to prefer Xbox and these are people who have nothing better to do when not working but to play Xbox. This has to be one of the more boneheaded idiotic things M$ is doing regarding this fiasco. Also since a lot of bases entertainment budgets include buying consoles as R&R devices (I know of one place who had money left over so every single floor got a room with PS3, 360's and Wii's with new TV's along with it).

Yeah, you really could not think of more ways Microsoft could have fucked up their console if you tried. This will not fly if they sell consoles in countries where it won't work.

Top Bottom