• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One to only work in certain countries at launch

~~Hasan~~

If you take out Saudi Arabia, Xbone only got 3,107.17 votes and who knows if all those voters live in supported countries...geez.

bro i live in Saudi Arabia " not from there" and believe me when i say this. KSA is a Sony Land. totally Sony Land.

the PS3 here was sold @ 5000 SR when the system was out. that is like 1400$ USD

and people bought it like crazy because everyone wanted one.

its like 90% here are Sony. 10% is Xbox. and i am serious in this figure.

i am really not sure why its like this in the graph

Zaventem

I really cant understand how a company can fuck up a success like the 360

I can't either man, it reminds me of the PS3 situation really. They got cocky and microsoft took advantage of that and managed to dominate USA. I have no idea what they're doing this time around. They were in a position to maintain that lead and now they fucked everything up big time. Those suits really fucked the one thing MS had going for them outside windows. I like some of the things 360 brought to the table this gen but i honestly hope failure hits them hard this time around for thinking they can abuse customers like this.

Roland1979

They miss a huge part of Eastern Europe.
Big parts of Brazil might not have the required internet connection, stable or not.

i cant understand this stupid decision ... countries of the arabian gulf is the richest countries in the middle east .. why not supported??

this is madness

It took them 7 years to open an official UAE server for XBL. THe problem is, those of us who had an xbox360 before then (a LOT of us) had US/UK/AUS accounts which we are now stuck with.

We werent being dishonest, this is the only way for us to connect so i dont know how they are going to cater to those of us stuck in limbo.

I feel sorry for that guy. A bunch of overpaid suits make a load of anti-consumer decisions and guys like this are forced to deal with the consequences.
definitely, dude's probably making a little over living wage at most, while having to explain the bewildering decisions made my millionaires.

I don't know why people are THAT surprised by no Japan. That thing's more DOA than xbox 1 (original?).

I bet you there will be stories popping up after launch of europeans who imported an xbone without reading how it won't work in their region. Europe except UK is sony land anyway. UK will be interesting to watch.

9028976344_6d799f07a7.jpg

Interesting...

Interesting indeed.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Asian gamers will have to wait a year longer than their American counterparts to get their hands on Microsoft’s Xbox One, which will only be available in the region in late 2014, a year after its U.S. launch this November.
Lol...MS giving Asia away to Sony...

Singapore is safe.

Safe only when it officially launches one year late...

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
How come at first the guy says "^PC" and then "^PS" to the other guy? Is he really suggesting PC and PS4?

no, those are the initials of the person answering the question. It's just a coincidence.

but you should buy a PC or PS4

Ragus

Banned
Haha, it's amusing that I live in Poland and I won't be able to play The Witcher 3 on XZero. I will have to go to Germany to do so.

Bwahahahaha.

spwolf

woa...

but... wont they lose the war right away by doing it like this? without all these countries, little chance of them selling more than PS4... and when they sell a lot less, then publishers will probably make different decisions.

wanna know how to put knife in your own back? Ask MS.

Despera

Banned
bro i live in Saudi Arabia " not from there" and believe me when i say this. KSA is a Sony Land. totally Sony Land.

the PS3 here was sold @ 5000 SR when the system was out. that is like 1400$ USD

and people bought it like crazy because everyone wanted one.

its like 90% here are Sony. 10% is Xbox. and i am serious in this figure.

i am really not sure why its like this in the graph
5000 SR? lol

I've seen a rich little kid get one for 8000 SR (around $2130).

But yeah, KSA is Sony land. Something's not right here.

Acorn

woa...

but... wont they lose the war right away by doing it like this? without all these countries, little chance of them selling more than PS4... and when they sell a lot less, then publishers will probably make different decisions.

wanna know how to put knife in your own back? Ask MS.
They only want the USA and UK judging from their output.

5000 SR? lol

I've seen a rich little kid get one for 8000 SR (around $2130).

But yeah, KSA is Sony land. Something's not right here.

Given the stats on the US, I'm going to say there's something wonky/fishy going on with the location tracking.

Edit:

It's just a support dude, they probably legit have no info on that yet. It wouldn't be passed down yet likely.

The only answer is "Yes, you can resell your console." Of course, you could be right, seeing as MS can't seem to keep everyone on message or in sync.

Telepathy

Banned
I swear we will soon find out that you are actually not buying the Xbone console but leasing it!

The spin: This way we can guarantee your Xbone will never be distrainted!

madmackem

They only want the USA and UK judging from their output.

They dont want the uk either going off that price tag, thats pound for pound what the ps3 launched at in such utter failure. It took a few years and the console coming down in price for it to start selling. Ms is fucking up at every single turn at this point.

It's just a support dude, they probably legit have no info on that yet. It wouldn't be passed down yet likely.

Which implies there are policies in place regarding that. Otherwise the answer would be an obvious "yes".

It makes sense now that I think about it. They have an iron hand over software sales and distribution. Only logical that the hardware would follow the same model, only sold and traded via authorized retailers. Probably can't freely loan a console to a friend either. I bet Kinect uses face recognition to only allow the legit owner to turn on the machine.

Hanmik

i live in the faroe islands, we have no psn or xbl up here. but we can use a danish or uk account ,

but this would mean no xbone ever up here because it isn't supported. wtf.?
we are part of denmark, but have our own government and our own ip addresses.. this cant be true..?

Into

Why would you not want to expand your business to more markets? They are actually doing the opposite. It does fit with the rest of the console i suppose, instead of offering more to consumers they are offering less and taking things away. So it is no surprise that they are doing the same worldwide.

I understand that you cannot launch EVERYWHERE day 1, neither can Nintendo or Sony, but you would think that majority of Europe would be included, as well as the BRICS-countries, they are expanding and attractive markets. They got Brazil and Russia, but no India, China or South Africa.

mckmas8808

Banned
A guy on Joystiq said this.

Im terribly disappointed by this - being an Xbox Fan / Microsoft Enthusiasts, this is betrayal lol - Asia's getting it in 2014, Do you know what that means - Ill have to get a PS effing 4 which I don't want THIS IS EXACTLY THE REASON WHY PIRACY WONT END FYI.

He has a very good point and MS has no clue why people even have to pirate media some times.

Downhome

MS! What u doing!

Yeah, I'm seriously wondering just what they are thinking. It doesn't make a bit of sense to me at all. Surely they knew the backlash all of this would cause, the confusion that it would all create. Is it just a colossal failure in marketing and development or are there other possible reasons for what they are doing? It surely isn't going to catch on, so I just don't see the point.

Rich!

They dont want the uk either going off that price tag, thats pound for pound what the ps3 launched at in such utter failure. It took a few years and the console coming down in price for it to start selling. Ms is fucking up at every single turn at this point.

Not to mention that not only is the PS4 £80 cheaper here, but preowned sales is a HUGE part of gaming in the UK. If one console allows it and the other doesnt, then the UK market will go for the former.

Novak

so wait...games (authentication) won't work outside of supported countries?

Or it will be just like on 360 where I had to pick any of supported countries (I have USA account) and I can play normally? Well except I cant download GoD w/o VPN

Well if first is true then I am out until my country is supported, and then it will be too late.
If second is true then I am in as long as they allow GoD download.

Recently they added Croatia to XBL list. Yesterday I created test account and prices are in local currency. Of course dashboard is empty like a desert.
So Microsoft listen carefully: allow me to download and authenticate games from Croatia and I am in

CTLance

EDIT: ^^ Novak, way I understand it they simply won't support that and from the twitter replies it seems you won't be able to import games or consoles to "unsupported" countries. It's region codes, only worse.

Oh, the mindnumbingly idiotic XBone news of the day. Awesome.

Man, MS just keeps on giving. Cripes.

OxoUPs0.jpg

Really now, what's next? What could possibly be worse? We're slowly but steadily running out of options here...

Rich!

so wait...games (authentication) won't work outside of supported countries?

Or it will be just like on 360 where I had to pick any of supported countries (I have USA account) and I can play normally? Well except I cant download GoD w/o VPN

Well if first is true then I am out until my country is supported, and then it will be too late.
If second is true then I am in as long as they allow GoD download.

Recently they added Croatia to XBL list. Yesterday I created test account and prices are in local currency. Of course dashboard is empty like a desert.
So Microsoft listen carefully: allow me to download and authenticate games from Croatia and I am in

It's option 1. Microsoft want you to buy a PS4.

It says at launch, I'm guessing the other countries will be 2014 release dates

Australia suffers from awful lag, so really hoping they sort this cloud out!!

Zaventem

Oh, the mindnumbingly idiotic XBone news of the day. Awesome.

Man, MS just keeps on giving. Cripes.

OxoUPs0.jpg

Really now, what's next? What could possibly be worse? We're slowly but steadily running out of options here...

It get targeted earlier for being so drm ridden.

Top Bottom