• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One to only work in certain countries at launch

Such a fucked up situation, only logical reason I see is that they esram production issue rumors are true and they are supply constrained so they're only launching in markets where they know they can make $

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I'm not sure what thread this is relevant in so I'll just put it in this one since it's pretty anti xbox/xbox will fail focused. I was just watching some of Gamespot's show floor coverage and they asked a couple black guys and a little kid which console they were going for. They all said Xbox. Prior to this one of them said something like "Yo Ima big Black Ops fan but dat Battlefield looked dope". I know that's only a small representation and this is horrible to think about, but what if that COD audience still favour Xbox even after all this?

Dizzy

Banned
Everyday since the Xbox unveiling there has been a reason to laugh at Microsoft. I really thought it would have stopped by now.

Majmun

I'm not sure what thread this is relevant in so I'll just put it in this one since it's pretty anti xbox/xbox will fail focused. I was just watching some of Gamespot's show floor coverage and they asked a couple black guys and a little kid which console they were going for. They all said Xbox. Prior to this one of them said something like "Yo Ima big Black Ops fan but dat Battlefield looked dope". I know that's only a small representation and this is horrible to think about, but what if that COD audience still favour Xbox even after all this?

The CoD crowd will probably go with the cheapest console.

Satchel

Banned
Maybe Microsoft are challenging themselves to make this thing a success despite making every possible move to make sure it bombs?

Nestunt

Whats the point of them sending me all those newsletters after the Xbone reveal if they were not planning in supporting the country i live in

great management

they had 8 years to plan the next machine

8 years for fuck sake

Ugh i don't think they actual know anything
https://twitter.com/XboxSupport1/status/344923302806040576

UlLRudV.jpg

paischtu

Neo Member
This is just sad. Not trying to be anticlimactic here but I'm feeling sorry for the guys working at MS. (Not for pushing this shit on us, but maybe losing jobs because of no units sold.)

Oh Microsoft, not that I was going to buy one, but really!!! OMG, this XB1 is a complete disaster, enjoy your XB1 21 countries, I will stay in my third world country and play my Wii U, 3DS and PC or PS4.

dacuk

No fucks have been given about Latin America, goddamn. Not I like I was gonna buy this crap, but this is amazing. :lol Microsoft, what are you doing?

As it stands now, Latin America is PS4 land (WiiU is not even a contender without FIFA / PES)

Hattori

Banned
damn they didn't just region lock the games, they went ahead and went the extra mile to region lock the console xD you can't make this stuff up... SMH microsoft

squidyj

I think theres going to be a lot of piracy on this platform. It's just this feeling that I get that there are a lot of unhappy young people with computer and tech knowledge and free time that might think they're sticking it to MS by cracking open their console.

Into

There were people during PS2 era that knew nothing other than "PlayStation", the mere idea of buying another console was absurd, because the PS brand dominated for 2 generations straight, dominated as in destroyed the competition. Then Sony messed up, launched a whole year later and had a more expensive console to boot. Suddenly people were buying a "Xbox", a successor a console that did 20 million worldwide, a very low number.

The 360 did not even destroy the competition, it just did pretty well in the NA market, still behind Nintendo. And recent reports from BBC is that they are actually third behind the PS3 now. So the brand does not even the same "PS2" esque dominance (which was proven to be pointless anyway).

The point is that things change, there is brand loyalty on the internet, soldiers in the trenches who will never change, but historically if you look all the way from Atari to today, that the masses in all 3 major markets are not bound by any brand, and there is no loyalty for 97% people out there.

Kagami

So wait, is it fully confirmed it's IP blocked?

Nah, no concrete info, just some vague wording about supported countries.
As much as laughing at this system has become a hobby of mine over the past few days, until it's confirmed, I'm keeping my heavy laughbombs in reserve and only firing off some light giggles.

Wat
"may not work"
They don't even know?

9028976344_6d799f07a7.jpg

Interesting...

Oh wow. We've been focused on game DRM, but it never even crossed my mind that you might not be able to resell the actual console. So no used Xbones? Definitely a possibility now, since it could easily be tied to your account. I wonder what would happen if it got stolen.

Conan-san

You know, the in thing is to ask someone to stop digging before they reach china but I think MS just dug so far they've achieved space flight.

Coolwhip

Banned
Microsoft expects mass migration to the best country in the world, the US of A!

Cough. It's like MS is trying their best to piss off people.

GloveSlap

Using Xbone is more complicated than doing your taxes. The instruction manual will probably look like the Skyrim strategy guide.

amfirst

Neo Member
Microsoft seems to launch their xbox only in countries where they have agencies... they are probably expecting callbacks

I think theres going to be a lot of piracy on this platform. It's just this feeling that I get that there are a lot of unhappy young people with computer and tech knowledge and free time that might think they're sticking it to MS by cracking open their console.

Well when you put of this many walls, some of them are bound to fall.

On the contrary, this could be the least pirated ever considering all the ways they will be watching and listening (ironically) to users?

panda21

How can they not know this stuff? if they are seemingly saying it on their website in the T&C then they need to know

My country is on there so all is well guys put away the pitchforks.

1) Nobody cares about you.
2) You are one of the most annoying GAFfers (Sendou being another)
3) You always speak as you are the sole member of this forum that is right, and everyone else is wrong. (above statement is a perfect example)
4) Stop wanking over XBONE... it's rather disturbing really.

Rasec

why the heck spain and frech get support but portugal that is next to them is out of the launching countries?

even apple put us in the first bunch of european countries to launch their products and we are poor! xD

Wazzy

Banned
Hahahah what a joke this system is. I'm actually arguing with a guy on Facebook because he's blindly defending MS. Throwing out crap like "Sony will do it too!" And "Xbox1 is already sold out while ps4 isn't and you're stealing from developers so DRM is good"

It's embarrassing that people like this exist.

Amir0x

Banned
I really just simply don't get this system at all anymore. How the fuck are they going to make a profitable business out of this? Massively overpriced, so slow adoption guaranteed. Only available in some countries, so can't even begin to compete globally. Requires internet, so you better not be from an area with unreliable connection or poorer sections of your community.

It's like they're trying to fuck themselves

McSpidey

They have a region swap ability on 360 don't they? Something like once per year?

If this is IP based geoblocking then everyone better get used to VPNs, Also say goodbye to cheap playsia HK games.

Hattori

Banned
1) Nobody cares about you.
2) You are one of the most annoying GAFfers (Sendou being another)
3) You always speak as you are the sole member of this forum that is right, and everyone else is wrong. (above statement is a perfect example)
4) Stop wanking over XBONE... it's rather disturbing really.

relax Jr. everyone is entitled to their opinion, if you don't agree, then it's in your best interest to just ignore them

Top Bottom