• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBox One Tour has started - check the map for demo truck locations and dates

Alx

Are you guys all just going to ignore the fact that he directly contradicted Phil Spencer and said that the Waverace game is completely playable with a controller?

Yeah I noticed that too, and thought the same thing. It's still possible that it's only a feature for the work in progress, but if it's there there's no reason to remove it.

Are you guys all just going to ignore the fact that he directly contradicted Phil Spencer and said that the Waverace game is completely playable with a controller? That is huge. At least to me. I'm back to assuming that Kinect Sports was delayed to add real controls to all the games.

I thought this had already been confirmed?

UNCMark

Banned
I thought this had already been confirmed?

There was a thread a few weeks ago where it was said Kinect Sports could use a controller. Everyone flipped out thinking it was a sign that Kinect might be removed from the box soon. Someone tweeted Phil and Phil said that only menu navigation works. He was either lying or simply clueless.

Doffen

Are you guys all just going to ignore the fact that he directly contradicted Phil Spencer and said that the Waverace game is completely playable with a controller? That is huge. At least to me. I'm back to assuming that Kinect Sports was delayed to add real controls to all the games.

Yeah, I'm totally going to buy Sports Rivals if it supports a controller.

p3tran

Banned
Okay GAF!

Just got home from the London event - Warning: Positive Xbox One impressions forthcoming.

thanks for the impressions. and the photos. and the videos :)

waverace playing with joypad is good news for me.
anybody has any idea how many racing environments/tracks it will contain?

zebwinz

Okay GAF!

Just got home from the London event - Warning: Positive Xbox One impressions forthcoming. .......

So there you go GAF, anything you want to know but I haven't covered, just ask. I wanted to post as much as I could while it was fresh in my mind.

Thanks for the impressions - I can't wait for it to come out!

Does anyone know how the head tracking will work in BF4? I heard about the lean but it's interesting that head tracking is a separate option.

There was a thread a few weeks ago where it was said Kinect Sports could use a controller. Everyone flipped out thinking it was a sign that Kinect might be removed from the box soon. Someone tweeted Phil and Phil said that only menu navigation works. He was either lying or simply clueless.

I'll throw one other wrinkle in and say it could potentially be a debug option that they forgot to turn off during the demo, lol. I worked on a Kinect game, and we had controller support for certain game modes just because it made it easier to test certain things during development. But the controller support was never actually designed or tested for the final product, so the option doesn't exist in the final game.

That said, in this game's particular case, there are people that actually have been asking the option (and there isn't as much pressure nowadays to make everything 100% Kinect all the time, like there was on Kinect games starting out), so maybe it will have it in the final game. *shrug*

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Okay GAF!

Just got home from the London event - Warning: Positive Xbox One impressions forthcoming.

Shot a ton of video (some of which is still rendering/uploading, so bear with!), and grabbed a few pics, so without further ado...

Xbox One Tour - London

The event was pretty well organised (and not so rammed that it was frustrating), so I'll cover some of the information I gleaned from the staff on site, and how the event worked, then I'll cover what I thought of the controller, then Kinect, then the games themselves.

Important information to note:

All of the TV's were 720p. Some had so much processing on them it was awful, some were calibrated a little better. None of the TV's present were 1080p. So, please bear that in mind when you see the off-screen video/pictures etc.

The event was organised over 2 floors - all the family friendly stuff on the top floor - Kinect Sports Rivals, FIFA 14, Forza 5, Zoo Tycon and on the bottom floor we had 8 v 8 BF4, Killer Instinct, Ryse and Dead Rising 3.

Xbox One, Kinect, and the new controller.

I really, really like the controller. I filmed a quick video to show everyone what I percieve to be a lot of fuss over the bumpers - they are fine, IF you hold the pad like I do. Other users may struggle - for those that hate "loose" sticks, I wouldn't worry - I found the sticks to feel great. They are much less resistant to being moved, but calling them loose is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. The triggers were great, the d-pad is fantastic, and the overall weight and feel of the pad in hand left me feeling very pleased with my preorder.

Some picture of the console (it's really not that massive) and controller below.

Video of Controller

On to the games, so Family Friendly stuff first!

Kinect Sports Rivals

Played on a horribly calibrated TV.

Grpahically, the game is gorgeous, full of colour and vibrancy. You can navigate the menu, which is "The Island" by hitting either the left or right trigger to spin it around. Obviously, went straight to Waverace.

The Kinect response was pretty good - it successfully detected as to whether I had my hand open or closed for acceleration, and you had to actually lean your body to turn left or right, rather than just twisting your arms like imaginary handle bars. The Water was totally amazing and the course was littered with interesting jumps, shortcuts and obstacles, such as water mines.

Pleasantly surprised to find you can control the game with the controller too, which is just as responsive as you'd expect any controller based game to be. Definitely not just added controller support as an afterthought. You can also use this is conjunction with Kinect - leaning my body while turning with the pad seemed to result in tighter turns in general. I had a lot of fun with it.

I also, after pestering the Rep on the station, persuaded them to let me play around the with Avatar Creation tool. Which was fantastic to go through - considering it was an old build (but stable) it saw me perfectly (despite the terrible lighting in the venue). This was the result. It successfully detected the beard, but not the mohawk, which I added later (Although to be fair to Kinect, mine isn't quite as pronounced).

Overall, really enjoyed Kinect Sports, and look forward to picking it up on release.

Forza 5

I am not a racing game fan (unless it's something super arcadey, like Burnout) so don't expect much here.

It was pretty, smooth (60FPS). Drove the Mclaren - the rumble on the triggers is indeed awesome, and feeling the car through your fingers was really unique. To me personally, the game felt slow - I did not get an impression of speed, despite what the speedometer was telling me. But I guess if you like Forza, or racing games in general, you're not going to hate this.

FIFA 14.

I also don't play football games. My mate that came along said it felt pretty good though. And it was indeed very pretty...moving swiftly on...

Killer Instinct

Sooo good. The D-pad is brilliant, may the 360 controller d-pad rot in hell. Game was very responsive, looked great and seemed to hide quite a lot of depth - Whilst I button mashed like an amateur, my friend soon got the hang of a few moves, and was swiftly kicking my arse.

Ryse: Son of Rome

Good news Ryse lovers! I think this going to be a thoroughly enjoyable game. The combat...is NOT a QTE fest. So, as some have already suggested, it's pretty similar to Batman - the combat flows pretty well. You have a light attack on X, heavy on Y, special move on RB (depending on which God you ally yourself with) roll on B, Parry on A, wow the crowd on LB, and the infamous "execute" button on right trigger.

So how does the combat actually work? So bad guys rush you, you kick/slice/stab them about with X or Y, avoid them with B, or parry with A. There were NO prompts as to when they are going to attack (like Batman) rather you have to pay attention to their animations. So where oh where are these QTE's?

When you have fucked an enemy up enough, an icon appears above there head, or if you can time it right and have multiple enemies in this state, heads. Then you hit right trigger, which pushes you into the finish move set, where the enemy with flash with the colour of the relevant button - time it right, and you'll perform a grisly finishing move, with slow mo, on one or multiple bad guys. The slow mo is in no way annoying or frustrating, and it's nice and showy, and consequently, makes you feel totally bad-ass.

The game chucks more and more at you, with objectives like destroying catapults, capturing and defending areas, and some of the bigger bad guys require more technique to take out, combat rolls being particularly effective to get behind them and fuck em-up.

The animation was also pretty smooth - admittedly not as flowing as Batman, but perfectly fine. The rep confirmed the Ryse build was newer than the Gamescom build previously seen. Graphically, it was gorgeous. This game went from a "should be alright to have fun with" to a "I really can't wait to play this through". Co-op horde arena is going to be fun.

Here's a gameplay video (my mate is playing, and he wasn't great, but you should get the idea!)

Battlefield 4

Delicious 60FPS. I can confirm the game felt wonderfully smooth compared to BF3, but as all the sets were only 720p, I have no idea what the game will render at - but I have a funny feeling it's going to be 720p. I asked the tech guy on hand, and as soon as I asked that question, I got the "I won't get into that debate" response. So take that as you will.

Still, it seemed to play great, and we had a lot of fun with it. During respawn, you can see the view of other players in the bottom right of the screen, which was pretty cool.

Also grabbed a shot of the Kinect settings for the game:

Some pretty cool stuff there. Nothing too intrusive, just some nice addons I think. Didn't get to try out the head leaning feature, mostly due to sitting a foot from the Kinect, which was at chest height.

Oh, and as someone asked earlier - rumble on the pad was NOT active during gameplay for BF4.

Here's some gameplay. Apologies for my appauling camera work.

Dead Rising 3

My favourite game of the day. Plays great, no shitty framerate issues that I experienced, the number of Zombies on screen is bananas. Really can't wait for this.

Gameplay Video

Why does LCD monitor + Football = Laser Sword?! I don't know, but I fucking loved it.

So there you go GAF, anything you want to know but I haven't covered, just ask. I wanted to post as much as I could while it was fresh in my mind.

Best impressions of a launch console I've read on GAF. Thanks for putting that together.

Lucent

Me and my friend were gonna go to one in Indiana on November 3rd, but then they unexpectedly moved it to October 20th while we didn't know. So we missed it. =l

Awesome awesome writeup. Appreciate the controller video. It gave a pretty good look into how the buttons and triggers respond. Solid stuff.

The BF4 part was funny. Would have pushed the techguy into admitting what he knew :p

And the Ryse combat mechanics sound so good. It's a shame the Crytek team hasn't been able to properly explain it as yet.

Just checked, all the vids should now be live...

....except for Dead Rising 3 - Sorry Miles, that's ones in full HD and it's over 5 minutes long. My poor upload speed. :(

It's only 52% uploaded at present.

Just came back form the ATL event. I wasn't all that hyped about getting my XBOX ONE even though I have it preordered. We got there at a perfect time no lines and we waited no longer than 2 minutes to play the games we wanted to play. I'm glad I attended the event because I had a blast. The console and Kinect are a lot smaller than I thought they looked in pictures. The controller is SEX. I played about 30 minutes of KI and it was so good to be able to play it! It's easily my most wanted game on the system. I wasn't planning on getting Forza 5 Day One but after playing it with that new controller I reversed my thought on that. That haptic feedback in the controller trigger is so freaking awesome. It's hard to describe but its like you can actually feel the grip and throttle/breaking. If anything I think the load times were a bit much on Forza but I also understand that it was not the final code. Dead Rising was another surprise. So many damn zombies on the screen it was amazing, it would be a great game to mess around with for fun. I Didn't play Ryse although my buddy did. He said it was a decent experience but wasn't totally impressed by it.

Major Nelson was there talking to people and taking pictures. He was pretty cool.

So all in all I'm very happy I went it actually gave me a good feeling about my Day one purchase. Bring on KI!!!

I can see you are starving for some Dead Rising 3 ;D

I need my fix man.

gBqcnbn.gif

Really hoping I get a spot on the UK tour next week, still haven't heard back from them which is slightly worrying...

Nah, it's all done. :) Go watch. :)

Awesome, watching now.

Someone needs to make the Dead Rising 3 OT

Pretty sure you can't make an OT until a week before release

Think it's in the TOS

Edit: maybe not but I thought a famous gaf account suicide was someone complaining their OT was shut down because it was posted before a week before release and they didn't like the message evilore sent. Maybe things have changed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnpfTxRABRI&feature=youtu.be

Holy shit at the horde the demo starts in. Goddamn. and with no slow-down. Double holy shit at the horde at 1.20. LOL at the football and monitor combination creating a laser sword.

Damn, that looks so good. I don't know how I'm going to resist buying and X1 and this at launch instead of 2015 as I originally planned.

It was good. That, but with co-op? No loading times? Open world? Don't resist Miles. Join us. ;-)

Whoa wait what? You played the actual waverace game with the controller? Not just navigating the menus and island?!

Sounds like it. That news excites me greatly as water based racers are criminally overlooked and as that's unlikely to change any time soon, KSR: Waverace is our (well, mine) last hope for a good water based racer.

Damn shame that Nintendo have seemingly abandoned Waverace and MS/WB have abandoned Hydro Thunder, Bloodwake...

Sounds like it. That news excites me greatly as water based racers are criminally overlooked and as that's unlikely to change any time soon, KSR: Waverace is our (well, mine) last hope for a good water based racer.

Damn shame that Nintendo have seemingly abandoned Waverace and MS/WB have abandoned Hydro Thunder, Bloodwake...

Honestly if you can play the wave game with a controller and it isn't some bizarro world that Sikamikanico stepped into at the time, I think I might get rivals just for that when I eventually get an XB1

Top Bottom