• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Tour - Highly disappointed in system and graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrs

This would be a decent concern of mine as well... My hands are pretty damn big, i loved the duke because of this and love the 360 pad as opposed to the ds3 because of the size and weight as well.

Triggers are about the only issue with larger hands, really.

UNCMark

Banned
Am genuinely interested in other GAFfer impressions though.

You're in luck. There's an entire other thread dedicated to the tour full of impressions.

As for people being mad that he said the games don't look next gen enough. The same thing is being said about the PS4 in the PS4 Sony store impressions thread. Mainly referencing FIFA. If you're expecting a jump as noticeable between non-HD to HD, you're going to be let down.

You know why.

Ugh. I don't understand that logic. When I try the PS4 I'm sure it'll be back and forth with me too, same with Xbox One. It's not a freaking war.

Yeah I think the game is going to find itself in trouble from a metacritic standpoint because that horrendous outsourced multiplayer game will be slapped together with the way more impressive single player game. As a package that outsourced garbage will drag the entire game's score down.

At the Philly event this and KI had the most kiosks. KI was bumping, Ryse was too, but it eventually waned off. No clue why they didn't have a campaign demo.

I tried the new controller and its feels very similar to the 360 controller. Yess the triggers are softer but I can't imagine somebody who loves the 360 contoller to hate the new one.. They are too similar.

I didn't say I dislike the controller only that I would prefer to use the Xbox 360 controller given a choice.

It's still to early to conclude on which controller is better. Haven't had enough time with both to make a decision. Just disappointing in the changes. I don't know how it could feel similar the changes are immediately noticeable. I guess the shape and what not is close, but it's definitely a different controller.

netBuff

Do you feel PS4 game will look better on the "big screen"?

To be honest, this whole event has put a bit of a damper on my next gen graphics expectations. I'm still excited for the PS4 (and hopefully the better graphics chip in that console will be put to good use), but the leap to PC is certainly going to remain an enormous one for both Sony and MS.

wow he got him good

As in "not at all, because he responded with something that made no sense in context of my original writing"?

man its kind of hard to trust people here at the moment because you dont knowif theyre going in hating it or loving it..so the opinion will just be purely bias ...so confusing...wish i could try both of them for myself lol

I think anyone who is a PC gamer as well as console gamer needs to temper their expectations. You most likely won't see anything to blow you away if you're already running games at Very High in 1080p 60fps.

For a pure PS3/360 gamer though the difference should be immediately noticeable.

Since I'm not a PC gamer, I'm very excited to be blown away by these next-gen systems.

Wizman23

Banned
Going by post history put me in the camp that believes he never attended any event or played any of these games. Considering your disdain for MS and love of Sony on here the past few months I would suggest next time taking a picture of said event you attended.

Isn't there already a thread for gaffers impressions here:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=690261&page=100000
So a lot of people said, but with that title, who would know that?

Anyway if the mods want to lock it or merge this thread thats their call, in the meanwhile I'll just hang out and enjoy the reactions.

I imagine maybe the TV's and settings and things at these events are probably not the best, that could have an effect on the image quality. But this isn't the first time I've heard complaints about the controller.

shandy706

I think anyone who is a PC gamer as well as console gamer needs to temper their expectations. You most likely won't see anything to blow you away if you're already running games at Very High in 1080p 60fps.

For a pure PS3/360 gamer though the difference should be immediately noticeable.

I'm impressed by the latest build we've seen of Ryse. Looks spectacular graphically...and it's not 1080p...which, well...is even more impressive.

Edit**

Where are the pics OP? There's no way in a million years I go to any event EVER...especially an early reveal...and not take pics.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I played both systems a month ago, and I wasn't necessarily impressed either. If you've been playing at 1080p on your PC for awhile, it's nothing new. I'll still get both for the exclusives.

Going by post history put me in the camp that believes he never attended any event or played any of these games. Considering your disdain for MS and love of Sony on here the past few months I would suggest next time taking a picture of said event you attended.

Ehhh... Let's not go crazy here. That is what they're showing on the Tour. It varies depending on the event, since the Philly one had all Microsoft published titles (Crimson Dragon, Lococycle, Zoo Tycoon, etc).

Barzul

I loled at this for some reason. I however do believe he attended this event, just think his opinions are skewed by his love for all things Playstation.

It's supposed to tell you were unable to have an unbiased and objective reaction to what you experienced based on how strong your preference and desire for the PS4 is.

It's like sending a hardcore Halo fan to play-test a Killzone title and then being surprised when he or she complains it's not as good as Halo.

Pretty much. Hell im a hardcore Halo fan and im positive i could still find positives to say about the new Killzone.

This on the other hand was just obvious and expected.

MormaPope

Banned
So a lot of people said, but with that title, who would know that?

Anyway if the mods want to lock it or merge this thread thats their call, in the meanwhile I'll just hang out and enjoy the reactions.

I imagine maybe the TV's and settings and things at these events are probably not the best, that could have an effect on the image quality. But this isn't the first time I've heard complaints about the controller.

This is actually a very good point. Even in this gen if a TV isn't calibrated or tuned right games can look pretty gnarly in a lot of ways.

B.O.O.M

sheesh so he wasn't impressed. Big deal...do we really need pages of people trying to dismiss it 'because' he like the ps4 more. I mean in this very thread there were few other posters who said the same

How about a more realistic take on the OPs comments. The demo units had outdated demo versions?

Complaints about the controller are nothing new so not sure why some people act as if this is a new thing. Some love it..some don't.

Did the triggers/bumpers feel mushy or really easy to push with no real resistance? That's the only consistent complaint I have heard with the controller.

netBuff

Ehhh... Let's not go crazy here. That is what they're showing on the Tour. It varies depending on the event, since the Philly one had all Microsoft published titles (Crimson Dragon, Lococycle, Zoo Tycoon, etc).

These were present as well. The full list (as I remember them):
Battlefield 4
Crimson Dragon
Dead Rising 3
FIFA 14
Forza 5
Just Dance 2014
Killer Instinct (with gamepads as well as fight sticks)
LocoCycle
Ryse
Zoo Tycon
Kinect Sports: Rivals
Peggle 2
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood

JMalerich

Neo Member
I can't wait to actually have an Xbox One and form opinions of my own. The amount of people claiming things (good and bad) about the new Xbox and then having people make counter-claims about the poster's credibility is driving me out of my mind. All I can say is that I'm looking forward to the new consoles and hope that both companies do positive things to move the industry forward. Wish I could go to one of these events -_-

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I know this wasn't for me...but I don't. The launch titles for either system don't impress me.

I think I'm spoiled with current high end PC gaming.

I think a lot of us here will feel this way. The exclusives will be nice, but PC gamers won't be as impressed with the graphics of the launch titles. Still, there's nothing like turning on a console and having everything just work.

No intent to diminish the perspective or the opinions of the OP.

Couple things worth noting.

First, the game demos on the tour are the same ones we’ve shown at E3, Gamescom, and PAX. So both Forza and Ryse look good, but not the same as final. Both games look better now (as I would expect would be the case for Sony as well), so don’t judge the tour demos too harshly relative to the final games. The Ryse video released today I think demonstrates that for those who have compared the E3 trailers with the newest.

Second, the environment that these games run in is not the same environment used for building the dash. So for those seeing the slow/janky dash UI from the tour, that’s nothing like what the real code looks like. These tour boxes are not getting Beta drops, so the UI isn’t even correct, let alone performing well. So don’t use that as any comparison to the real UI. Again, the video released earlier in the week shows the updated code.

Controller should be close to final. So YMMV on how you like it. I’ve worked on every version of every Xbox controller, and I like this one the best by a mile.

Lastly – Sony’s in exactly the same position, so I’m not suggesting they shouldn’t get the benefit of the doubt either. When you have stuff that works, you use it even if it’s not perfect. Right now, everyone is crunching.

Azlan

I have read plenty of hands on reviews that were glowing, a bunch of ones that hated on everything, and ones in between. Unless it is from someone who I trust and know to be un-biased these really don't mean anything anymore in my opinion.

UNCMark

Banned
Did the triggers/bumpers feel mushy or really easy to push with no real resistance? That's the only consistent complaint I have heard with the controller.

Neither of them feel mushy.Triggers don't have the tension of the 360's, but they're not mushy. L1,R1 are buttons. They click. No mush.

Frillen

He had already made up his mind even before he attended, that's if he actually even did attend.

Love how the thread is still open, Microsoft related threads are by far the least modded threads. Are there even mods who enter Microsoft threads? Sometimes I wonder.

ACH1LL3US

To be honest, this whole event has put a bit of a damper on my next gen graphics expectations. I'm still excited for the PS4 (and hopefully the better graphics chip in that console will be put to good use), but the leap to PC is certainly going to remain an enormous one for both Sony and MS.

Do you have a Gaming PC? What are you comparing your expectations to?

What PS4 games are you excited about at launch? I don't feel there is going to be a huge difference graphically at launch with either system.

I think that a lot of that will ultimately have to do with simply getting used to a new controller design after 7+ years. Gamers and change generally doesn't bring out positives.

Albert Penello completely misunderstood what I wrote: I responded to someone expecting the Kinect to hypothetically automatically log someone in on someone else's consoles without prior authentication of any sort, which is pretty much impossible to do without having a huge amount of false positives with the current state of face recognition.

If that's true, then I apologize. That's not the way I saw it based on the context of the quotes you were responding to.

If you meant in the way you clarified, then I'm sorry for responding harshly.

This is actually a very good point. Even in this gen if a TV isn't calibrated or tuned right games can look pretty gnarly in a lot of ways.

I guess.

I put my TV in "game mode" in the middle of a GTA V session (doing so resets all settings to default) and it immediately made me want to kick the screen. Everything immediately turned dull/harsh looking.

Sharpness/brightness/colour saturation settings can make a big difference

netBuff

I think that a lot of that will ultimately have to do with simply getting used to a new controller design after 7+ years.

I think it will be fine after a bit of adjustment, just seems like a step back from what we have right now especially in terms of ergonomics.

It's more of a strange tension with the bumpers, this is really hard to explain. Together with their relatively bizarre shape it made for an awkward feeling.

The triggers feel notably different from the 360 gamepad (as well as DualShock 3), but all in all neither worse nor better.

ACH1LL3US

I know this wasn't for me...but I don't. The launch titles for either system don't impress me.

I think I'm spoiled with current high end PC gaming.

I have a High end pc too for gaming and I am still excited for both systems. The standard assets in the games are much better then last gen ( character models, textures, lighting). Most pc games we play are stuck with current gen assets with higher framerates , resolution, AA and better textures. The character models etc are not a huge jump up as they using the same stuff.

I think once we see some pc games using the updated assets from next gen then we can compare better I suppose.

BigDug13

Do you have a Gaming PC? What are you comparing your expectations to?

What PS4 games are you excited about at launch? I don't feel there is going to be a huge difference graphically at launch with either system.

To be fair, the leap was smaller this time. In the past you really needed a supreme gaming PC to equal the quality of the consoles on release day. Now we're at a point where an above average gaming machine already matches the consoles on release day. A year from now the consoles will be bested by average gaming rigs.

It's not going to take as long this time for a mainstream PC gamer to exceed console quality graphics. Still looking forward to getting a PS4, but realistically, PC gaming graphics will destroy it soon enough.

*this*

People that recognize my username on this forum may realize that I've preferred the PS4 to the Xbox One for a long time now for rational reasons (better performance, more interesting line up, cheaper): Even then, I didn't expect to get this negative an impression out of this event – it’s kind of shocking, really.

Shocking, indeed.

Still, its their bus isn't it? They should have it prepared properly. Youre going to show off games and they cant set up TV colors? Id hire new people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom