• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Users banned from Upload Studio for swearing?

Yeah, I'm ok with that in this case because some people stop using their brain when they're anonymous so if this helps with that then I'm sure not against it.

What anonymous? People are using their Kinect to do upload studio because that's the only way to get audio in your video. Unless it works with the headset only, it's not anonymous at all. Your username is still attached to your video so no, censoring is still not good. I understand that's your opinion but, I'm not paying to be censored. That's to me, against my first amendment.

Terrell

My favourite part of this story is how he expected to be TOLD to behave like a civilized human being on the internet.
I hate society.

Dukey

Banned
What anonymous? People are using their Kinect to do upload studio because that's the only way to get audio in your video. Unless it works with the headset only, it's not anonymous at all. Your username is still attached to your video so no, censoring is still not good. I understand that's your opinion but, I'm not paying to be censored. That's to me, against my first amendment.

Yes, you are paying to be censored. Read the TOS next time before you pay. Their service, their rules.

Faddy

Banned
I can't believe this. Why can't you flag your videos as inappropriate for minors. This is some puritanical
bullshit.

Twitch.tv delayed because Microsoft is trying to work out a way to censor it!

MrHicks

Banned
"the cloud" skydrive,dropbox etc is complete bullshit
some NSA intern is watching you family pictures and videos as we speak
perhaps even fapping to your wife

i don't get people we use these services
everyone should cancel their subscriptions and let these companies go bankrupt

Yes, you are paying to be censored. Read the TOS next time before you pay. Their service, their rules.

And I guess that's why I don't have an Xbox One. I don't even cuss online anyways but it's bull if I can't even accidentally say it if I hit my pinky toe. Fuck that.

Edit: After reading some of your post, why are you even on the Internet? Who the hell made it law that swearing is illegal? Last time I checked, saying Fuck doesn't put me in jail nor does it make me a juvenile because I happened to say a curse word. People don't cuss because there trying to be blantly disrespectful or disgusting. I don't understand this whole high horse attitude you have about swearing as if you judging people who does it makes you somehow better. Please......

Update 2:

UPDATE #2: I hopped on Upload Studio about twenty minutes ago and tried it out. It is now working for me, and I was successfully able to upload my Kinect footage and DVR footage to both Xbox and SkyDrive. It appears as though the Upload Studio suspension is a 24 hour suspension, as I believe it was for me. However, Skype still does not respond after five hours since the "incident." This is my experience with Skype: "Was typing to my buddy on Skype, typed a few words of profanity talking about movies, and when I jumped back to Xbox One, it said I was banned from it for the same reason, citing "past behaviour"."

Steel

Banned
"the cloud" skydrive,dropbox etc is complete bullshit
some NSA intern is watching you family pictures and videos as we speak
perhaps even fapping to your wife

i don't get people we use these services
everyone should cancel their subscriptions and let these companies go bankrupt

Can't tell if serious....

I guess that's why they put everything behind Live Gold, so that their TOS also applies to all apps that require the service.

Based on the first update it seems like they may have not been banned for swearing but because of some bug. We'll have to see what comes of this story though.

Steel

Banned
gonna have to elaborate a little buddy

NSA are not actively watching anyone's feeds. It's impossible and not worth the resources. It's likely that kinect automatically collects data and notices curse words. The system is certain to be automated. Not that it makes it right. It just isn't a conspiracy.

Dukey

Banned
And I guess that's why I don't have an Xbox One. I don't even cuss online anyways but it's bull if I can't even accidentally say it if I hit my pinky toe. Fuck that.

Edit: After reading some of your post, why are you even on the Internet? Who the hell made it law that swearing is illegal? Last time I checked, saying Fuck doesn't put me in jail nor does it make me a juvenile because I happened to say a curse word. People don't cuss because there trying to be blantly disrespectful or disgusting. I don't understand this whole high horse attitude you have about swearing as if you judging people who does it makes you somehow better. Please......

I'm a grownup. I know which forums I post on that allow swearing and those that dont. And if you swear "by accident" in a video you made, just edit it out before posting it. It's really not that hard. To make this a crusade is hilarious. These services are created for all, and that includes kids. I support them enforcing their rules in an attempt to make this a better experience for everyone. Ditto Nintendo and Sony. It's not about a high horse. It's about acting like a fucking (oops) adult. If self-control is really that hard for someone, game elsewhere. It's not hard.

Steel

Banned
I'm a grownup. I know which forums I post on that allow swearing and those that dont. And if you swear "by accident" in a video you made, just edit it out before posting it. It's really not that hard. To make this a crusade is hilarious. These services are created for all, and that includes kids. I support them enforcing their rules in an attempt to make this a better experience for everyone. Ditto Nintendo and Sony. It's not about a high horse. It's about acting like a fucking (oops) adult. If self-control is really that hard for someone, game elsewhere. It's not hard.

Personally I have no problem with videos being brought down over it just seems silly to ban people from uploading for it, even if it's only 24 hours. And the Skype ban is several times more ridiculous considering that that's a chat between two consenting parties, it's not in the open.

You should just be able to mark your content as explicit. Any footage from M-rated games is automatically marked as explicit and access would be gated by parental controls.

Problem solved.

At the very least, they should give these early adopters a warning first. They don't need to be piasing these people off.

MrHicks

Banned
NSA are not actively watching anyone's feeds. It's impossible and not worth the resources. It's likely that kinect automatically collects data and notices curse words. The system is certain to be automated. Not that it makes it right. It just isn't a conspiracy.

doesn't matter its the fact that they CAN
anything you put in "the cloud" can be viewed be whoever the fuck should they choose to do so

google can look in your "gdrive"
microsoft can look in your "skydrive"
and dropbox can look in your "dropbox"

or even a third party like the NSA can ask any of these companies to let them view "account number 1354645" and they will comply

now knowing all that (aka zero privacy) again i question just wtf people are doing using these services

shut it all the fuck down

Steel

Banned
anything you put in "the cloud" can be viewed be whoever the fuck should they choose to do so

or even a third party like the NSA can ask any of these companies to let them view "account number 1354645" and they will comply

now knowing all that (aka zero privacy) again i question just wtf people are doing using these services

This argument is like saying just because someone across the street can use binoculars to look through your window at your girlfriend or whatever the hell you're doing at any given time you shouldn't have windows.

Now that's not to say I like those programs(Sadly I use dropbox a lot for work, too convenient) but to be worried about someone(a human being not a program) being able to look at your stuff at any given time is just paranoid.

Rich!

Firstly the Kinect voice commands, and now banning people for swearing?

Boy, Microsoft really hate the scottish.

Do you live in fear for every action you do?

Just put an adult content tag on it or something. The majority of the videos will be headshots and throat stabs, why are they so bothered by swearing?

Paches

kGouPEK.jpg
This related? OP edit says may effect Skype.

Dukey

Banned
Personally I have no problem with videos being brought down over it just seems silly to ban people from uploading for it, even if it's only 24 hours. And the Skype ban is several times more ridiculous considering that that's a chat between two consenting parties, it's not in the open.

Private chats shouldnt be bannable at all. I don't mind the 24 hour ban for the video. Should be a good deterrent.

Orca

Based on the first update it seems like they may have not been banned for swearing but because of some bug. We'll have to see what comes of this story though.

Are you trying to suggest people here shouldn't jump to ridiculous conclusions?

You can show yourself to the door, buddy.

Steel

Banned
Private chats shouldnt be bannable at all. I don't mind the 24 hour ban for the video. Should be a good deterrent.

You've been on xbox live right? I mean 90% of the customer base is going to be banned for 24 hours sooner or later. I can respect the concept of trying to deter this type of thing, but it just isn't an efficient way to go about a video service.

Of course this is all an opinion, and one that I really don't feel that strongly about at that.

The Skype detail does alarm me, though. They had better not start doing that on computer Skype.

MarionCB

Ugh. Reason number 47 for why I'm not getting an xbox ever again.

If you can't swear, you can't say 'What the fuck?', which is a necessary phrase for dealing with MS. I suppose you also can't use some people's actual names like Dick Cheney or Dick Clark. God help you if you mention Dick Van Dyke.

Yagharek

Dick isnt even a swear word, its also a name.

Good luck to anyone known as Willy, Roger, or anyone who says they "cant" in a thick accent.

Zomba13

Lol at people agreeing with these bans, what fucking bubble do you live in?

The kind of bubble where you apparently can't even use profanity in a written message to a friend of yours.

Hope they keep that skype ban shit for swearing to xbone. It's one thing having them read my conversations on skype, it's another when they ban me from speaking with my friends because we say a naughty word.

EDIT: also, if they are putting bans in place for this stuff (even if temp) why in the flying fuck aren't they throwing these kinds of bans out automatically for the little racist cunts on XBL?

Minions

Proof Microsoft is listening to all Skype conversations. You can't make this stuff up. People were making fun of people and calling people conspiracy theorists for this shit, and Kinect. No thanks.

onQ123

The part about Skype seems a lot more messed up than anything else because Skype should be between you & whoever you are Skyping with.

Microsoft shouldn't even know if you used a bad word on Skype SMH.

Faddy

Banned
The part about Skype seems a lot more messed up than anything else because Skype should be between you & whoever you are Skyping with.

Microsoft shouldn't even know if you used a bad word on Skype SMH.

I don't think they ban you from Skype for swearing but if you get banned from Upload studio they ban you from all voice applications.

Although we don't really know and if people feel that FUD is being spread about these bans then blame Microsoft for not being clear about how they are enforcing their policies, how it applies and the length of bans.

alatif113

So what's the difference between a user swearing and an in game character swearing?

onQ123

I don't think they ban you from Skype for swearing but if you get banned from Upload studio they ban you from all voice applications.

Although we don't really know and if people feel that FUD is being spread about these bans then blame Microsoft for not being clear about how they are enforcing their policies, how it applies and the length of bans.

Ok yeah I just seen the other thread about this.

Top Bottom