• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One was the UK No.1 games console over Black Friday

The point is, it's still surprising that Xbox had better sales, regardless of the circumstances leading up to it.

Its not surprising at all. It was the right bundle at the right price, especially for kids.

Microsoft not selling the One S Digital in huge numbers at that kind of price would be embarrassing. Sony brought one mediocre bundle to the table when Microsoft went all in.

Last edited:
First priority for Phil Spencer, recapture US/UK markets from Sony. That should be the ONLY priority for the upcoming generation. If that works, then he can start to think about doing better in EU. Maybe in 20 years XBox can make inroads in Japan/Korea.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I had the chance to buy one of these foe £99 as i need a new controller and was thinking may as well get this but i didn't as i was waiting to see if a bundle with Jedi Fallen Order came up but it never did. But anyway if i bought another could i game share with it as i already game share with my son.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Black Friday is a good barometer for the entire Christmas period and if something is a best seller during this weekend then it is a very strong indicator that those trends will be true by the end of the year. Consoles are bought in much bigger numbers for the Christmas period by far than any other period in the year so a win in sales during the Black Friday weekend is significant. The Xbox One SAD is designed to be a budget console to appeal to the mass market and also as a test to see if there is an appetite for a console without a physical drive. It's pretty clear that the Xbox One SAD experiment has been a resounding success for Microsoft and has proved that there are a lot of people prepared to go all digital at the right price. The console may have been discounted but its the implication that all customers of this version are going to be buying their games directly from the console that is also important.
It's embarrassing that Microsoft has to rely on Black Friday sales to sell consoles, I'm not sure they have a good enough of console to comfortably sell units during other months of the year.

Here in the US the $200 X1S with fallen order was tempting... Not to mention that the $200 PS4 bundle with 3 games was extra extra spicy and tempting yet sadly I already own both of them. ;_;

Pallas

It's embarrassing that Microsoft has to rely on Black Friday sales to sell consoles, I'm not sure they have a good enough of console to comfortably sell units during other months of the year.

Why is it embarrassing? BF is pretty big in the US and apparently it’s a big thing in the UK as well. It’s a great way to capitalize on selling your product, that’s what companies do, you know, on Black Friday. Since Christmas is so close by. It’s also a way for them to get more customers hooked on Gamepass.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Why is it embarrassing? BF is pretty big in the US and apparently it’s a big thing in the UK as well. It’s a great way to capitalize on selling your product, that’s what companies do, you know, on Black Friday. Since Christmas is so close by. It’s also a way for them to get more customers hooked on Gamepass.
It does give them an opportunity to sell consoles and sometimes you need a boost or sale to get units out there, I just think Microsoft has an unsolvable problem and its called the Xbox that they're trapped with.

Dane

150 dollars with fornite, minecraft and sea of thieves and 3 months of gamepass ultimate for a extra buck, this is the best cost benefit to give to any children to shut the fuck up for months.

Alebrije

Everyone already has a PS4 I guess.
tenor.gif

Pallas

It does give them an opportunity to sell consoles and sometimes you need a boost or sale to get units out there, I just think Microsoft has an unsolvable problem and its called the Xbox that they're trapped with.

Trapped with a product that has sold 40-50 million+ that’s also a gateway to Gamepass Is such a terrible thing to be stuck with.

Rip Xbox

Mattyp

Gold Member
Black Friday has somehow become the biggest sales day in Australia lately also.

Whats surprising is the all digital, it’s become apparent at the right price people do not care for physical and this thing would of moved absolute units if it was priced correctly from the start.

The point is, it's still surprising that Xbox had better sales, regardless of the circumstances leading up to it. There's no need for that Gif. If an Xbox fan used the same Gif in 2013 when the PS4 was $399 vs Xbox One $499 we would call him salty and we would be right.

Xbox one didn't outsell the PS4 in 2013/14, it barely held up in the US despite it being extremely heavily discounted.

We saw plenty of gif wars back then and it was amazing.

Kazza

Jesus Christ, how did a good news story about the Xbox generate so many salty responses? I think this is a smart move by MS - get more casual gamers to buy into your ecosystem before the next-gen begins and hope they upgrade to a Scarlet a couple of years down the line. I wasn't in the UK for this Black Friday, but I'll definitely bite if they have the same deal next year (worth it for the BC alone).

Joho79

Selling more consoles is now a bad thing?
I don’t get some people.
I also think it’s a clever move for next gen, hook as many you can with gamepass so they stay.

Journey

Banned
Jesus Christ, how did a good news story about the Xbox generate so many salty responses? I think this is a smart move by MS - get more casual gamers to buy into your ecosystem before the next-gen begins and hope they upgrade to a Scarlet a couple of years down the line. I wasn't in the UK for this Black Friday, but I'll definitely bite if they have the same deal next year (worth it for the BC alone).

PlayStation fans be like

source.gif

Corrik

What is with the irrational hate of Xbox by users on every video game forum. I assure you that Microsoft did not steal your child and rape them. Yet, people continue to act like it.

I will never understand it.

Dane

What is with the irrational hate of Xbox by users on every video game forum. I assure you that Microsoft did not steal your child and rape them. Yet, people continue to act like it.

I will never understand it.

Welcome to NeoGaf, and maybe every other major forum. Expected however, the Playstation is a huge sucess brand.

Bandi

Banned
quick sony force! downplay this and tell us how this is a bad thing and how is it a great thing that ps4 is the worst selling console on black friday! ☺️

Top Bottom