• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One will likely hit 60 Million LTD in the end, what a turn around since 2013! [poll]

Do you think Microsoft turned things around for the brand since 2013?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Korzonek

Neo Member
The only way this will happen is if Xbox slashed the price to $199 by August or October. This year 2019.

Followed by 2020 Holiday deals of around $150 or more if there's gift cards or free game bundles.

Does Microsoft want to bleed money for only 20 million more sales?

Fairly certain. The answer is no. It will hit 50 though.

Im affraid Xobox One S is allready at 199 $. At this rate (70-90 thousends per week sold) its gonna be very diffcult to cross 5 mil console sold this year.

Korzonek

Neo Member
It’s a big IF but if Microsoft does indeed come out with its diskless console in May and if it costs $99 dollars and if it’s successful then I believe it could sell enough to hit 60mil.
At this point they can give it for free. 199 is almost free.

leonardo__cruz

Neo Member
Reality: XBOX sells about 100K in January.

OP Prevision: Will sell 10-20M in the next 1-2 years.

Next gen need to arrive soon, MS fans are going nuts.

Wow don't really get all the no answers. MS has done an amazing job. Through software they improved performance by trimming the OS down. They turned their stance on Indies (something that everyone seemed concerned with when that was the bulk of what the PS4 was offering.). BC support that is unrivaled in the industry. The X was mid season refresh done right. You have to have blinders on not to see that. At the end of the day many seem to hate the box simply because it's not from Sony. Because that's who they move the goalposts to benefit.

But the OP mention the possibility of selling more than 60 million consoles - eventually - which out of context is pretty nice (most consoles never sold close to this). It would be less than the 360 did, while it was trending to sell more than its predecessor early on (they practically gave the XO away for a while, right after the launch!).

Also why are people suddenly surprised at Xbox havong a bad January when it's had a bad January every year just slightly different levels of bad?

V Voost Kain with another classic pro-Xbox thread
kttcolibanderas

People saying no are just being fanboys. MS has clearly done an astounding job turning things around since the disastrous XBONE launch. They have positioned themselves to have a real shot at regaining market leadership in the US in the next console cycle.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
People saying no are just being fanboys. MS has clearly done an astounding job turning things around since the disastrous XBONE launch. They have positioned themselves to have a real shot at regaining market leadership in the US in the next console cycle.
You threw some words together and that's an A for Effort.

But this is meaningless drivel. Microsoft "doing an astounding job turning things around" doesn't necessarily translate to selling 50% of your lifetime sales within the next year or two. "Positioning themselves to have a shot at regaining market leadership" sounds like the sort of astroturfing I remember from GAF during the Adam Orth debacle.

The reality is that Microsoft's efforts are likely too late. The system is already 5 years old. We know new consoles are on the way. The system has been in the $250 range for years and sales haven't really picked up.

Looking at NPD and GFK data after the 41 million announcement we are looking at over 45 million now. That will be near 50 by September, which is the start of Xbox One's best selling quarter, likely doing over 50 million by January 2020. I suspect that 2021 we will see around a 60 million LTD due to price drops.

Hahaha. 9 million in one year when Xbone sales are slowing down each year. Nice math, though.

Btw. GFK and NPD NEVER announced numbers, it was Zhuge. ~41 mil. as of end of 2018. Now in three months Xbone has sold over 4 mil. while PS4 and Switch are kicking Xbone's ass left and right? Man, i would love to know what Xbone fans are smoking these days. I heard rumors that Crackdown 3 pushed Xbone sales to 5 million this week in US...

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'd like to point out that the poll is split pretty evenly.

I think it highlights the healthy range of our opinions on GAF. I'm glad we can somehow still coexist.

Or perhaps it shows a healthy population of Xbots and astroturfers? :pie_thinking::pie_thinking::pie_thinking:

Just teasing.

kyubajin

From my humble point of view MS has really turned the table around from what was posed to be a catastrophic launch and a failure to almost possible 50 million lifetime sales. They reversed all the nonsense anti consumer policies, released a more powerful console for hardcore gamer, heavily invested in Game Pass, the only reason I'm not a user is the games. Microsoft games simply are not my thing: mostly shooters and racing games.

I'm not gonna engage in list wars but PlayStation's production of quality exclusive titles this generation is overwhelmingly superior and caters to almost all kind of gamers in comparison.

Still good job MS with all the catching up and heavy lifting, good competition is good for the consumers to ensure arrogant Sony or anti consumer Xbox never return.

Klayzer

From my humble point of view MS has really turned the table around from what was posed to be a catastrophic launch and a failure to almost possible 50 million lifetime sales. They reversed all the nonsense anti consumer policies, released a more powerful console for hardcore gamer, heavily invested in Game Pass, the only reason I'm not a user is the games. Microsoft games simply are not my thing: mostly shooters and racing games.

I'm not gonna engage in list wars but PlayStation's production of quality exclusive titles this generation is overwhelmingly superior and caters to almost all kind of gamers in comparison.

Still good job MS with all the catching up and heavy lifting, good competition is good for the consumers to ensure arrogant Sony or anti consumer Xbox never return.
Well reasoned take. Xbox last gen had many JPN games that I enjoyed (Ninja Gaiden 2, TOV, Lost Odyssey, Last Remnant, Magna Carta 2, Star Ocean 4, Blue Dragon, Battle Fantasia, Infinite Undiscovery). This gen MS is light on my favorite type of games hence the reason I skipped out on Xbox for the first time. Still optimistic about the new acquisitions will bear fruit this upcoming gen.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I still say generation winners are pointed out too early, last gen Sony game back what is a notorious turnaround with the PS3. What happens is corrections break through, sometimes mid gen or at the end.

DavidGzz

I'm happy to hear the Xbox numbers have been good. I still hope microsoft incentivises people to buy an Xbox in the first place. Xbox should have exclusive content so you have a reason to buy one. If the PC has all the Xbox games, free Xbox live, and far more customization and better looking graphics why buy Xbox?

There will always be more casual gamers who buy consoles over trying to find the right PC. It isn't confusing or intimidating for us but shopping for a gaming PC isn't as easy. Consoles will always be cheaper and have easier plug and play functionality. Idk why you don't see this as a good thing. I play on Xbox first right now but if this continues I will simply get a gaming PC next gen. One less console to buy since I end up with them all anyway. We win.

tr1p1ex

I wouldn't say they turned anything around. They are about where I thought they would be - losing out 2-1 in sales to the PS4 and having to eat their profits to get there.

I think the example of turning things around is NIntendo. Wii U to Switch is what I would call turning things around. Maybe you can asterisk it because the Switch is a 3ds and Wii U replacement. But it's been a big success for Nintendo and resulted in large profits. I'm never sure if MS makes any money on the Xbox business or has made an overall profit in the videogame business since they entered it.

Late-Gen sales happen when you have AAA games coming out still even though the next generation is about to launch next month. What games does MS offer in next 2 years? Yeah exactly. PS2 released GOW2 just a few months before PS3 was released. The Last of us,same story, released a few months before PS4. MS have nothing left but all their big games are cooking for next gen.

Your numbers are so off, you are expecting to start making the same sales that a Nintendo Switch is pulling in and thats considered a very popular console now. If they hit 50mil they should celebrate.

Last edited:
There will always be more casual gamers who buy consoles over trying to find the right PC. It isn't confusing or intimidating for us but shopping for a gaming PC isn't as easy. Consoles will always be cheaper and have easier plug and play functionality. Idk why you don't see this as a good thing. I play on Xbox first right now but if this continues I will simply get a gaming PC next gen. One less console to buy since I end up with them all anyway. We win.

yeah but pc has many more games and many people are starting to realize that.
Pc gets all multiplats+all xbox games and some playstation games like yakuza and now detroit.
If you do care about games, doing a bit of research to get into pc gaming is not as complicated as it sounds.
and yes many people prefere to play on console, but that console is definitely not xbox.

Last edited:

spookyfish

"Looking at NPD and GFK data after the 41 million announcement we are looking at over 45 million now. That will be near 50 by September, which is the start of Xbox One's best selling quarter, likely doing over 50 million by January 2020. I suspect that 2021 we will see around a 60 million LTD due to price drops."

extrapolating.png

Perfection. Nothing more to add.

Arkage

Banned
I still vote no. If their exclusive stable matched Sony's, yes, but so far all you got is racing and Halo/Gears. That really isn't enough.

MS has been buying studios up like crazy and are rumored to have a few big ones lined up to announce at E3. They are positioning themselves quite well for the next cycle of consoles/streaming. They are co-market leaders with Amazon in the cloud server space, substantially ahead of the other competitors, including Google. And unlike Google, they have the gaming pedigree to make their streaming service VERY marketable.

I expect Xbox Game Pass to include XCloud streaming (seems absurd if they didn't) right out of the gate, when XCloud launches. This will give people access to a huge library of games, including all MS studio first party releases first day of availability, via streaming as well as downloading to Xbox consoles and PCs (expect Game Pass for PC will have officially launched by then). Can you imagine when Halo Infinite launches, through XBox Game Pass, included in your subscription first day,, played through XCloud or the new Xbox console? That is going to be gigantic. Having access to Game Pass's game library, streamable through XCloud, is going to be very enticing.

I've heard the argument that Google has the advantage because Stadia uses a 10.6TF GPU core while XCloud right now is using Xbox One S components in their server racks. There is no doubt that Microsoft will be uprading XCloud servers with the components from the next Xbox, which I expect to at least approach 10.6TF, otherwise how would they stream Halo Infinite and the other next gen games that will be released on the next Xbox? I think that worry is silly.

Google is going to have a hard time gaining the game library to make their service attractive in comparison to MS and Sony. Google needs to have at least one killer exclusive title. I don't think they can make real inroads if they are relying only on third party titles that also come out for Xbox and Playstation, especially when MS and Sony have competing streaming services with a much larger library of games, including plenty of exclusive titles. And we know it takes a long time to build up a core library of attractive games. Will Google still be invested in Stadia 2 or 3 years down the road if it has launch issues? They aren't known for supporting their millions of initiatives over the years.

The issue Sony has this next cycle is a lack of cloud infrastructure to really compete with Microsoft and Google. PSNow only has a small presence in Europe still, isn't available in Mexico, and is likely not close to launching in South America. I would also assume that PSNow's streaming quality isn't the best outside of the major cities in the US. Microsoft and Google, on the other hand, already have cloud servers in place across the planet, on all the major continents. Microsoft and Google can launch their streaming service throughout the US, Canada, Mexico, Europe, Japan, and South America almost from the very beginning if they wish. And Microsoft/Google's cloud reach and quality in the United States is markedly better. Couple that with Sony's apparent reluctance to really invest resources into expanding the service (not like they should have been with their head start), lack of interest in cross platform gaming or allowing PSNow access through other platforms, and a policy of not making their 1st party titles available on the service even years after their release, and I think Sony could be in real trouble....not catastrophic out of business trouble but trouble in retaining their hold as the dominant video game company in the world.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

yeah but pc has many more games and many people are starting to realize that.
Pc gets all multiplats+all xbox games and some playstation games like yakuza and now detroit.
If you do care about games, doing a bit of research to get into pc gaming is not as complicated as it sounds.
and yes many people prefere to play on console, but that console is definitely not xbox.

With Gamepass, EA Access, MS is doing just fine. Pretty sure someone recently showed favorable numbers for Xbox compared to PS4 at least in the US. Couple those two features with xCloud and all of their studio acquisitions and they will be sitting even prettier next gen. And causal console gamers don't like to do research. My brother, for example, would never get into PC gaming. There are millions like him who will continue with consoles. We are not the average casual gamer.

99-149 discless xbox will sell more than what its currently doing. i mean u can't have negative sales. so it will boast regardless.[/QUOTE

🙄🙄 well duuh the thing isnt even out yet, so thats kicking an open door.
ofcourse they will be selling but "boosting" sales like in a meaningfull way of the overall xboxsales, no i dont think so.

With Gamepass, EA Access, MS is doing just fine. Pretty sure someone recently showed favorable numbers for Xbox compared to PS4 at least in the US. Couple those two features with xCloud and all of their studio acquisitions and they will be sitting even prettier next gen. And causal console gamers don't like to do research. My brother, for example, would never get into PC gaming. There are millions like him who will continue with consoles. We are not the average casual gamer.

That poll had a 2000 people sample.
Hardly anything relevant. Their console is becoming less and less relevant and it is their own fault.

Top Bottom