• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One wins 3 consecutive months in NPD for the first time, #1 UK, up YoY

etta

my hard graphic balls
Everyone doing well when they all deserve it is good for us, but the concept of people voting with their wallet would be that products which are not appealing to consumers (wrong target or seen as anti consumers or other reasons) do not sell and that everyone would not be doing well...
No no, the post was about competition, not about bending over. I've been trying to find it but now luck. I remember it was pushed around against people who said that Xbox staying and competing and keeping Sony in check is good.

Chris R

The problem is, if you want 4K content, streaming is not a good solution. The bitrate of 4K streams gives you only 1080p quality; and lots of people do have data caps.
So yes, I´m buying UHD discs.

Exactly this.

Until data caps are dead I'll be buying Blu Ray and UHD discs. I don't have a UDH player yet, but if I have to get one, it will probably be a Scorpio machine this time next year.

I really think Sony might have a marketing problem with the Pro. People might believe that Xbox One S and PS4 Pro are the same since they both do 4K media and HDR. In some cases, I can honestly see consumers thinking Xbox One S is the more advanced product since it can play 4K Blu-ray.

Are you sure consumers are going to think UHD Bluray support is more advanced than the only platform that does VR? Or when Sony starts agressively promoting 4K gaming?

c0de

Are you sure consumers are going to think UHD Bluray support is more advanced than the only platform that does VR? Or when Sony starts agressively promoting 4K gaming?

?
VR is niche right now and will stay there for quite some time.
And 4k gaming? I heard that MS already is advertising that, although upscaled. It's a matter of how you want to transport the message but given that 4k from the pro is also often not really 4k, I don't see that Sony will have a big edge here, especially not with the audience they are targeting. They already know what they get and what not.

oSoLucky

Microsoft seems to have gained a decent amount of mindshare back in the US of late. Now I hope they get the lossless audio situation on the One S figured out sooner than later to entice some of the enthusiast crowd to pick up an Xbox instead of a standalone player. Only time will tell whether Sony made a mistake or not.

Trup1aya

I don't think Sony has a marketing problem for the Pro (it's clearly marketed toward their hardcore, high end audience. Your VR argument is neither here nor there since the OG PS4 is also capable.

i do think they'll have a hard time explaining to people who have yet to own a current gen console why they should buy the Pro. This particular gamer is historically more price sensitive than anything. Then when this user looks at the cheaper entry points, it's hard to ignore the value of the Xbox one S when compared to the PS4 slim. It's not just the UHD, but the BC as well as some strong new exlusives.

I think the PS4 Pro will be a big hit for the core Sony fan. But I don't think it or the Slim will be as appealing as the OG PS4 has been for people new to the current gen.

wapplew

Well enjoy 1 more month. But come November the streak will end

Get your crow ready.
Because in November, Xbox oneS will be at $199 with gears 4, FH3, BF1 extra controller and 4K madmax fury road Bluray and 3 month of EA access.
Also come for free with any 4K TV purchase.

jfoul

Well enjoy 1 more month. But come November the streak will end

This seems oddly familiar.

466545-800px_chadwardenn_large.jpg

black070

I really think Sony might have a marketing problem with the Pro. People might believe that Xbox One S and PS4 Pro are the same since they both do 4K media and HDR. In some cases, I can honestly see consumers thinking Xbox One S is the more advanced product since it can play 4K Blu-ray.

I never understand this supposed consumer awareness issue people always flag up - if the general audience has the capacity to distinguish the difference between the OG XB1 and XB1S, and supposedly give a damn about a UHD Blu ray player the majority can't even take advantage of, they sure as shit have the capacity to do the same with the PS4 and the Pro, it honestly isn't that hard.

samar11

Get your crow ready.
Because in November, Xbox oneS will be at $199 with gears 4, FH3, BF1 extra controller and 4K madmax fury road Bluray and 3 month of EA access.
Also come for free with any 4K TV purchase.

Really? I''ll buy that shit in a heart beat lol

Welfare

I don't suppose there's a monthly breakdown?
There is, plus we have September numbers, so up to September:

PS4: 2,330,200
XB1: 1,957,600
WIU: 572,300

PS4: 2,188,100 [-6%]
XB1: 1,887,000 [-4%]
WIU: 351,800 [-39%]

Code:

Mon |   XB1    |   PS4
Jan | 149,800  | 189,000
Feb | 276,000  | 342,000
Mar | 228,900  | 329,800
Apr | 186,800  | 174,600
May | 139,600  | 152,700
Jun | 296,000  | 364,100
Jul | 187,800  | 217,000
Aug | 200,300  | 207,500
Sep | 292,400  | 353,500

Code:

Mon |   XB1    |   PS4
Jan | 132,000  | 230,000
Feb | 248,200  | 404,900
Mar | 241,500  | 330,100
Apr | 167,600  | 174,800
May | 107,100  | 207,300
Jun | 211,900  | 234,500
Jul | 171,100  | 161,200
Aug | 274,800  | 160,000
Sep | 332,800  | 285,300

?
VR is niche right now and will stay there for quite some time.
And 4k gaming? I heard that MS already is advertising that, although upscaled. It's a matter of how you want to transport the message but given that 4k from the pro is also often not really 4k, I don't see that Sony will have a big edge here, especially not with the audience they are targeting. They already know what they get and what not.

Your mistake is thinking Joe public cares about a £500 peripheral

It doesn't matter if they actually plan on buying VR; it's cutting edge and people know the Xbox One can't do it so it's hard to imagine how a 4K disc format they've never heard of will impress them more.

150k. Only physical in 4 days doesnt sound that bad?

It's pretty bad. Uncharted 4 only sold 50K less in September and that game has been out for months.

novabolt

A twitter user by the name of Goonertron posted a picture on twitter about FH3 player's list. It currently has 1,137,557 players, if that is any current indication of what Forza H3 is doing, wow.

Here's the picture, I haven't touched FH3 much (Work) so I hope someone can verify this.

CuzjAYFUIAAcaUx.jpg

A twitter user by the name of Goonertron posted a picture on twitter about FH3 player's list. It currently has 1,137,557 players, if that is any current indication of what Forza H3 is doing, wow.

Here's the link, I haven't touched FH3 much (Work) so I hope someone can verify this.

X32bfd.gif

Great news! I'm really happy for Microsoft. I may not invest in their stuff as their games don't appeal to me, but this is a win for the industry as a whole.

blakep267

It doesn't matter if they actually plan on buying VR; it's cutting edge and people know the Xbox One can't do it so it's hard to imagine how a 4K disc format they've never heard of will impress them more.

It's pretty bad. Uncharted 4 only sold 50K less in September and that game has been out for months.
Uncharted was bundled. That's how it sold that many copies. By that same logic, halo 5 probably sold more copies and that's almost a year old

novabolt

Christ, have MS made a statement about it?

Here's the link to last year's sales numbers. Forza M6, GOW:UE,H5 and ROTTR have all sold over 1 million in that fall.

Here's the link: https://news.xbox.com/2016/01/04/greatest-games-extends-to-2016/

I'll put the piece where MS talks about sales:

2015 was a monumental year for Xbox – the biggest in our history – and we owe it all to our gaming community. We saw record global engagement and sales fueled by high demand for our greatest games line-up and hardware and accessories like the best-selling Xbox One Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Bundle and our Elite Controller. Every title in our exclusive 2015 holiday games line-up – Halo 5: Guardians, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Forza Motorsport 6 and Gears of War: Ultimate Edition – sold over 1 million units, and the number of Xbox One gamers who played Microsoft Studios-published titles more than doubled compared to 2014.

If only Sunset came out in 2015. :(

Elandyll

Banned
150k. Only physical in 4 days doesnt sound that bad?
In a now long running, critically acclaimed franchise?
It's borderline terrible imo.
Obviously we don't don't have all the data to compare, but Driveclub 1st week did 1m worldwide back in 2014 afaik.

It'll probably have long legs though.

blakep267

^ just going by the first week of U.K. Sales and the 5 days of tracking in NPD, it's already sold over 200k retail. It should be able to do a million by the end of the holidays easily imo

In a now long running, critically acclaimed franchise?
It's borderline terrible imo.
Obviously we don't don't have all the data to compare, but Driveclub 1st week did 1m worldwide back in 2014 afaik.

It'll probably have long legs though.
You keep saying it's terrible, but that's right in like with what Forza games do and MS seems to find them successful enough to keep making them yearly. They aren't afraid of abandoning a series if it doesn't sell enough, we've seen that. So wouldn't you think that 150k in fact is not terrible

Here's the picture, I haven't touched FH3 much (Work) so I hope someone can verify this.

CuzjAYFUIAAcaUx.jpg
Impressive but also not surprising. Glad to see it doing well, if it can be verified.

Elandyll

Banned
^ just going by the first week of U.K. Sales and the 5 days of tracking in NPD, it's already sold over 200k retail. It should be able to do a million by the end of the holidays easily imo

You keep saying it's terrible, but that's right in like with what Forza games do and MS seems to find them successful enough to keep making them. They aren't afraid of abandoning a series if it doesn't sell enough. So wouldn't you think that 150k in fact is not terrible
I am of the opinion that Forza as a whole is a strategic franchise for MS, but one that loses money given the size of the studio(s) involved and the current somewhat niche status of most racers.
It is, in my opinion, part of their strategy to make their console more appealing in Europe, alongside the deal with EA concerning FIFA.
On the plus side, it gets fantastic racers to Xbox fans, so it's a win in that way.

Zedox

150k in 4 days, physical. Hmm, I wonder how much physical in the month. That could give us an idea of how much digital. May show success of Play Anywhere.

Bgamer90

Banned

This is a really strange comparison especially considering the difference in cost. It all depends on if the interest outside of major hardcore gamers is there and it's honestly too early to say right now.

It's pretty bad. Uncharted 4 only sold 50K less in September and that game has been out months.

Uncharted 4 is far more of a major title. 150K isn't that bad for a racing title that has only been out for five days during the month. Game is on track to do much better than Forza Motorsport 6 so it does appear that the game is helping the console racing genre and Forza brand.

W.S.

I am of the opinion that Forza as a whole is a strategic franchise for MS, but one that loses money given the size of the studio(s) involved and the current somewhat niche status of most racers.
It is, in my opinion, part of their strategy to make their console more appealing in Europe, alongside the deal with EA concerning FIFA.
On the plus side, it gets fantastic racers to Xbox fans, so it's a win in that way.
The Forza games usually have long tails in terms of sales given the car packs and extra DLC content so I doubt it loses money for them.

Licensing could be an issue similar to what happened to the first Horizon but by that point it would probably be way past sales maturity.

What were Sony's sales projections for this year? Like, 20 million? Do we think they'll still be able to hit that? You think Sony coming in a bit under 300k (lower than I expected) is due to the Pro? Apparently preorders look good, and it almost seems to me like the PS4 slim is an afterthought for Sony compared to Pro.

Or is it a sign of troubled waters ahead for Sony? I tend not to think so, but wanted to pose it to smarter minds than I.

Also, what are PS4/X1 lifetime sales when compared with the same time period at this point?

Poster#1

CuzjAYFUIAAcaUx.jpg

I hope it's true. game is amazing.

Elandyll

Banned
Uncharted 4 also has 2 bundles, one of which was the newest slim bundle. Not comparable.
Wouldn't an NPD number not include bundle sales? Not that I think the two titles should be compared though, in spite of Forza being one of the yearly pillars of the Xbox platform.

Welfare

Wouldn't an NPD number not include bundle sales? Not that I think the two titles should be compared though, in spite of Forza being one of the yearly pillars of the Xbox platform.
Claire specifically pointed out bundle sales when talking about UC4.

blakep267

The number that astronaut Claire gave was for bundles

"Uncharted 4 improved at USA Physical Retail in Sep. 2016. ~100K range including bundles with the majority as the slim PS4 bundles. #NPD"

Top Bottom