• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One wins 3 consecutive months in NPD for the first time, #1 UK, up YoY

novabolt

What were Sony's sales projections for this year? Like, 20 million? Do we think they'll still be able to hit that? You think Sony coming in a bit under 300k (lower than I expected) is due to the Pro? Apparently preorders look good, and it almost seems to me like the PS4 slim is an afterthought for Sony compared to Pro.

Or is it a sign of troubled waters ahead for Sony? I tend not to think so, but wanted to pose it to smarter minds than I.

Also, what are PS4/X1 lifetime sales when compared with the same time period at this point?

Overall, Sony is near 14.5m while MS is around 13.4 - 9m (I think).

A twitter user by the name of Goonertron posted a picture on twitter about FH3 player's list. It currently has 1,137,557 players, if that is any current indication of what Forza H3 is doing, wow.

Here's the picture, I haven't touched FH3 much (Work) so I hope someone can verify this.

CuzjAYFUIAAcaUx.jpg

From 2min ago

novabolt

From 2min ago

Thank you, soundscream.

Now if we look at the time the tweet was posted, it says 2 hours ago. Now with soundscream's photo we can see that the player base has risen by 5K since then. This means that the picture is real and FH3 is on track for 1.5 million+ by the end of the month (2 million was a bit over the top, I'll admit) or it will just reach about 1.3 million+ if FH3 is lucky.

Tomash

A twitter user by the name of Goonertron posted a picture on twitter about FH3 player's list. It currently has 1,137,557 players, if that is any current indication of what Forza H3 is doing, wow.

Here's the picture, I haven't touched FH3 much (Work) so I hope someone can verify this.

CuzjAYFUIAAcaUx.jpg

You can also see how many records were posted on platform you're playing on when you turn off cross-play leaderboards.
1,134,155 records
1,021,085 Xbox One
113,070 PC

Lichter

FH3 reaching that milli! Well deserved

All the players ain't buyers tho (especially when we now that the game is cross-buy and that many players can play on one console copy of the game)

Jumeira

Banned
Wow amazing numbers for FH3!!! Well deserved too! Should see a nice boost over Christmas. Certainly puts into perspective digital vs retail numbers. Majority of that would be digital? From numbers we know, there's a large gap between what we see here vs sales data from brick and mortar stores.

novabolt

FH3 reaching that milli! Well deserved

All the players ain't buyers tho (especially when we now that the game is cross-buy and that many players can play on one console copy of the game)

From the numbers spilt, it seems like cross-buy didn't really do that much. Unless, PC players kept their XB1s and played FH3 on it (which I doubt), FH3 pasted 1 million in players for one platform.

Curufinwe

There is, plus we have September numbers, so up to September:

PS4: 2,330,200
XB1: 1,957,600
WIU: 572,300

PS4: 2,188,100 [-6%]
XB1: 1,887,000 [-4%]
WIU: 351,800 [-39%]

Code:

Mon |   XB1    |   PS4
Jan | 149,800  | 189,000
Feb | 276,000  | 342,000
Mar | 228,900  | 329,800
Apr | 186,800  | 174,600
May | 139,600  | 152,700
Jun | 296,000  | 364,100
Jul | 187,800  | 217,000
Aug | 200,300  | 207,500
Sep | 292,400  | 353,500

Code:

Mon |   XB1    |   PS4
Jan | 132,000  | 230,000
Feb | 248,200  | 404,900
Mar | 241,500  | 330,100
Apr | 167,600  | 174,800
May | 107,100  | 207,300
Jun | 211,900  | 234,500
Jul | 171,100  | 161,200
Aug | 274,800  | 160,000
Sep | 332,800  | 285,300

So a 300,000 sales advantage for Sony during the 2016 preseason.

cakely

Wow amazing numbers for FH3!!! Well deserved too! Should see a nice boost over Christmas. Certainly puts into perspective digital vs retail numbers. Majority of that would be digital? From numbers we know, there's a large gap between what we see here vs sales data from brick and mortar stores.

FH3 sold 150k in it's launch month on NPD. That's not bad, but it's not that great when you compare it to other launches. It's certainly not "amazing". Deus Ex: Mankind Divided had a 120k NPD launch month earlier this year, and it was considered to be a bomb.

Also, please don't start with the "900% digital" sales routine again, that's not how any of this works.

etta

my hard graphic balls
FH3 sold 150k in it's launch month on NPD. That's not bad, but it's not that great when you compare it to other launches. It's certainly not "amazing". Deus Ex: Mankind Divided had a 120k NPD launch month earlier this year, and it was considered to be a bomb.

Also, please don't start with the "900% digital" sales routine again, that's not how any of this works.
Looks like that 150K number means jack shit if it already has over 1.15 mil users.
Deus Ex launched on 3 platforms.
Keep downplaying.

cakely

Looks like that 150K number means jack shit if it already has over 1.15 mil users.
Deus Ex launched on 3 platforms.
Keep downplaying.

Etta? Relax, seriously. I'm not downplaying, I'm stating a fact that FM3 sold 150k copies in its launch month on NPD. I was replying to someone who was saying those numbers were "amazing", and they objectively aren't.

My wife and kids will likely buy me a game or two this Christmas. You know what I'll do? Buy the games digitally and return the discs. NPD means jack and shit when it comes to console game sales.

Forza IP should be a 5 million seller, especially the Horizon series. Racers just don't compete with shooty bang bang though. Except if you are Gran Turismo (lol).

Still a solid start though, and I think loads buy the VIP pass in Forza so I bet they make a pretty penny on it. Which means good chance of even better sequels.

Horizon 4-5 VR on Scorpio please!

etta

my hard graphic balls
Etta? Relax, seriously. I'm not downplaying, I'm stating a fact that FM3 sold 150k copies in its launch month on NPD. I was replying to someone who was saying those numbers were "amazing", and they objectively aren't.
You responded to someone who said it sold well based on this 1.15 M number, not the 150 K.
And it sold 150 K in 4 days.

Alright let's do this.

1. Deus Ex released on August 23, which gives it 8 days during that month, compared to just 4 days for Forza Horizon 3.

2. Deus Ex released on three platforms on retail, and while you could argue Forza launched on PC, it launched on the tainted Windows Store, on top of having a poor PC version. Also, I'm not sure if digital sales count or not, so they might not even be included here in the first place.

3. Forza Horizon 3 had both a smaller production budget and lower sales expectations than Deus Ex because of the shrinking racing market.

So, unless you want to ignore all the factors I have listed, and scream "bomba", go ahead and do it, but you'd be wrong.

cakely

My wife and kids will likely buy me a game or two this Christmas. You know what I'll do? Buy the games digitally and return the discs. NPD means jack and shit when it comes to console game sales.

NPD is currently where game sales are tracked in North America. At this point we don't really have another source for that data.

cakely

Alright let's do this.

1. Deus Ex released on August 23, which gives it 8 days during that month, compared to just 4 days for Forza Horizon 3.

2. Deus Ex released on three platforms on retail, and while you could argue Forza launched on PC, it launched on the tainted Windows Store, on top of having a poor PC version. Also, I'm not sure if digital sales count or not, so they might not even be included here in the first place.

3. Forza Horizon 3 had both a smaller production budget and lower sales expectations than Deus Ex because of the shrinking racing market.

So, unless you want to ignore all the factors I have listed, and scream "bomba", go ahead and do it, but you'd be wrong.

I just listed Deus Ex as a random example of a recently launched game that sold in the range of 150k on NPD. Feel free to pick another game if you'd like, there are plenty of examples.

I did not scream "bomba". I simply stated that 150k for FM3 in it's NPD launch month sales is not "amazing". This is not a controversial statement.

Curufinwe

I just listed Deus Ex as a random example of a recently launched game that sold in the range of 150k on NPD. Feel free to pick another game if you'd like, there are plenty of examples.

I did not scream "bomba". I simply stated that 150k for FM3 in it's NPD launch month sales is not "amazing". This is not a controversial statement.

It shouldn't be.

I've mentioned it before but that 150k NPD Forza number really isn't reflective of its actual sales. We know industry average is between 20% and 30% digital and launch week Forza likely skewed higher than normal digital due to the early access. The same situation very likely will happen with Gears.

Also nice to see Forza sold over 100k on PC already. Those numbers basically are actual sales due to not being able to lend or rent PC games. MS will probably have to see that as a decent success

just tray

The last few games I brought have been digital. The last few games my ftiends have bought have been digital.

No disc hassle, instant switching of games, no trip to Gamestop, early playing of games.....

NPD's only use is consoles sold. Anyone saying 150k is not stating the real numbers and this sentence is not an opinion

Dubz

Between Forza 3 and Gears 4, I'm very happy with MS right now. Now they just have to fix their shit Windows Store.

JaggedSac

Also nice to see Forza sold over 100k on PC already. Those numbers basically are actual sales due to not being able to lend or rent PC games. MS will probably have to see that as a decent success

Well, we only know that 100k played on pc. No telling what the mix is of people that bought it exclusively to play on pc.

ACESmkII

I'm part of the problem. I purchased a One S just for Forza Horizon 3, even after swearing years ago that I'd never buy a Microsoft console again after three 360's red ringed.

Sexy and very quiet console. I wish my PS4 was this silent...

Well, we only know that 100k played on pc. No telling what the mix is of people that bought it exclusively to play on pc.

No doubt but we still know that 100k people accessed the MS store and installed it on their PC. MS looks at this as all one ecosystem and this has to be the biggest launch they've had on the platform (well before Gears).

Zedox

No doubt but we still know that 100k people accessed the MS store and installed it on their PC. MS looks at this as all one ecosystem and this has to be the biggest launch they've had on the platform (well before Gears).

I would say it like this. We know that ~100k played on PC. There can be people who played on someone's PC with their info or that did game sharing on PC (it is possible), but the likelihood of that having a meaningful number difference is negligible just by the amount of people unfamiliar with the Windows Store in general. Just like the amount of people game sharing on Xbox One, could it be high, yes, but the likelihood is probably a small number relatively speaking.

Looking at the market of PC gaming, and how many people play racing games, and how many have Windows 10 AU and would even use the Windows Store, I think ~100k players is definitely a good win for Microsoft. I think we'll see bigger numbers for Gears 4 or maybe even the same. We should look at those leaderboards.

EDIT: Just looked at leaderboard on XBO for Gears...only showed top 100. Unless I missed something.

Anecdotal evidence from my friend's list but when Horizon had the early access for the ultimate edition I had 23 people playing on that day, in comparison I saw 12 people were on launch day for the early access for Gears.

Forza Horizon 3 > Gears 4 confirmed, lol.

Personally I think that retail is losing its grip as the dominant store front for purchasing games, with certain games having a higher digital/disc uplift than others, something I think will only increase as the months and years roll by.

As I said, anecdotal and all that but it caught my attention.

You triggered his emotions so easily.

Yeah that number isn't that great, but the 1.1 million unique players is pretty damn good for an exclusive racer.

Kudos to MS, they have done a fine job with the marketing push for Xbox One S. Coupled with two solid exclusive game launches from Gears4 and Horizon3 along with fantastic console pricing!

Personally I think that retail is losing its grip as the dominant store front for purchasing games, with certain games having a higher digital/disc uplift than others, something I think will only increase as the months and years roll by.

Retail is certainly losing marketshare. From most things we've seen digital breakdown on average seems to be right around 30% which is by no means insignificant. But retail is still the larger percentage.

That said I will not be surprised if by the end of this generation / early next generation we are at a 50 / 50 split

What were Sony's sales projections for this year? Like, 20 million? Do we think they'll still be able to hit that? You think Sony coming in a bit under 300k (lower than I expected) is due to the Pro? Apparently preorders look good, and it almost seems to me like the PS4 slim is an afterthought for Sony compared to Pro.

Or is it a sign of troubled waters ahead for Sony? I tend not to think so, but wanted to pose it to smarter minds than I.

Also, what are PS4/X1 lifetime sales when compared with the same time period at this point?

20 million are their projections and they should be able to hit that.

I would caution against using just NPD data and making broader conclusions about Sony's standing because while MS is largely focused on a few markets, Sony's success likes globally.

As an example, in Q1 of 2016, in the U.S, PS4 sold about ~616k consoles, give or take. In Q1 of 2015, PS4 sold about ~690k consoles, give or take. This led a lot of people to conclude that PS4 would be down YoY in Q1 like the XB1 was. However, this ended up not being the case. The PS4 actually shipped 3.5 million compared to 2015's 3 million in Q1.

Am I suggesting that'll be the case for the rest of the year? No. But it's certainly a possibility. And that's because we rarely, if ever, get any sort of meaningful data on a whole plethora of markets that are valuable to Sony but not MS and that distorts the picture.

ethomaz

Banned

CuzjAYFUIAAcaUx.jpg
Players doesn't equal sales.

We need some more info to accurate use this info:

- Numbers of players using the same sold copy of the game (like family or friends)
- How many players are resales?
- Can the demo submit times to leaderboard?

This number is the same Destiny/Overwatch over 20 million registered players.

AniHawk

There is, plus we have September numbers, so up to September:

PS4: 2,330,200
XB1: 1,957,600
WIU: 572,300

PS4: 2,188,100 [-6%]
XB1: 1,887,000 [-4%]
WIU: 351,800 [-39%]

i had really thought that 2016 was the year where the ps4 would obviously take off because it would be a lot more affordable and the generation would be really getting all the games it needed to get ready for takeoff. being steady year over year isn't a good look with cheaper platforms.

2017 is probably going to be the best year for ps4: ps4 pro will be out, the slim will be out, and ps vr will be out, with all the games that can take advantage of the first and last of those as well. the amount it's sold so far has not been super encouraging though. these systems are performing closer to the second and third place consoles from last gen for most of the year. maybe it's just a function of them becoming more or less seasonally popular devices. they did great at launch and really excel during the holidays.

Top Bottom