• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X Enhanced - Branding for games with Visual/Performance Improvements

Microsoft has issued a FAQ what Xbox One X enhanced mean. Here is a screenshot of logo explanations:

2UPSrBV.png

Source

And this is the sort of shit that the ps4 pro should of launched with...simple effective communication

There is still confusion about what a ps4 pro offers in a game store.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Seems like a few games missing from there which are PS4 Pro enhanced.

The Division
Watch_Dogs 2
PREY
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered
Mafia 3
Rise of the Tomb Raider

Nah xbox one runs at 720p right ? no way this will be native 4k on the one x

Yea 720p but they did manage to improve that in Battlefield 1 with dynamic 720p-1000p at an average of 900p and I imagine that is more demanding than Battlefront due to the descruction.

Seems like a few games missing from there which are PS4 Pro enhanced.

The Division
Watch_Dogs 2
PREY
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered
Mafia 3
Rise of the Tomb Raider.

I can imagine by the time Scorpio is out, both the Pro and Scorpio enhanced games list will look very similar, as I can't imagine a developer going back to an older game to make improvements only for one of them and not do it for the other.

CDPR have already said the Scorpio patch is coming to PS4 Pro too and I bet any existing Pro patches will be ported to Scorpio.

So on xbox daily, they asked Dice what Xbox X improvements were coming to battlefront 2 and they said that they werent talking about it........heeeeere we go again....

Is this even legal to not be able to talk about enhancements of a game im buying? What does sony having a partnership have to do with me wanting to know what improvements are made my my version??? Man this is so aggravating

Frostman

So on xbox daily, they asked Dice what Xbox X improvements were coming to battlefront 2 and they said that they werent talking about it........heeeeere we go again....

Is this even legal to not be able to talk about enhancements of a game im buying? What does sony having a partnership have to do with me wanting to know what improvements are made my my version??? Man this is so aggravating

This is ridiculous but it will continue to happen. It happened with BF1 on the Pro, to the point where they were dodging the question post launch of the Pro. We know it will be enhanced but to what effect? we'll have to rely on DF.

Looking for a thread if someone can explain this to me...

So, if I get an Xbox One X, and I have a 1080p TV, I've heard that it 'downsamples' the games, but what does that mean? Will I get the benefit of better looking games on that 1080p screen, or what? FWIW, it's a good, high end 60" Samsung Plasma from 4 years ago or so.

What is downsampling, will Xbox One X do it, and are there tangible benefits?

So, if I get an Xbox One X, and I have a 1080p TV, I've heard that it 'downsamples' the games, but what does that mean? Will I get the benefit of better looking games on that 1080p screen, or what? FWIW, it's a good, high end 60" Samsung Plasma from 4 years ago or so.

google brought me to this - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509076
its an old thread, but i guess it provides a very technical way of explaining what Down-sampling resolution is and how it works. (DSR)
They're even images for comparisons too.

Conan Exiles is launching in game review August 16, will be supporting Xbox One X at a later date

"Funcom is also excited to share that it will be updating Conan Exiles for the Xbox One X at a later date, taking advantage of the system’s superior hardware power to bring the world of Conan the Barbarian to life in beautiful 4K resolution."

It means the game will run in 4k in the background, while sending your TV a 1080p image. This means, absolutely no jaggies, you will get essentially perfect image quality, probably no pixelated shadows. All angled lines will look incredibly smooth. Textures will look incredibly detailed no matter how close you get, even if you zoom in, as they will have 4k textures on games that support them.

Also, all of your X360, Xbox original, and non patched X1 games will run better, with basically perfect framerates, have more detailed and clearer looking textures at oblique angles thanks to way better Anisotropic filtering, and your games and system will load substantially faster and probably install substantially faster. Even the OSwill likely run way better.

So yes, a lot of very tangible benefits at 1080p. Some games may even get 60fps modes.I would certainly rexcomend upgrading to 4k when you can though, you will get substantially more detail in the image.

do we know the schedule for the next xbox dailys? like who the guests are and etc? if no, then maybe i have a glimmer of hope to see one of the folks from 343 give us 'a little something' about halo. if yes, then nvm. throw me in a ditch

Colbert

Banned

This means: Any game that has a frame buffer (output) beyond 1080p shrinks youf frame (image) down to 1080p. As you know from your smartphone this makes the image look better with less artifacts and crisper in detail.

do we know the schedule for the next xbox dailys? like who the guests are and etc? if no, then maybe i have a glimmer of hope to see one of the folks from 343 give us 'a little something' about halo. if yes, then nvm. throw me in a ditch

Go to mixer.com. Should be somewhere in the Xbox channel. At least I saw it there yesterday.

Halo 5 is in the works for an update.

Pretty sure both Halo 5 and MCC are getting updated, with the way Phil Spencer mentioned 343i are looking at older titles in relation to X1X inrecent interviews.

By the way, it looks like both Recore and COD Infinite Warfare are also getting updated, as they are shown on Xbox.com in a section specifically listing Scorpio enhanced games.

Funcom will be on today during it talking Conan. Not sure how long

"Today, Wednesday June 14th, Funcom will be live on the Xbox E3 Daily Show to talk about the upcoming Xbox launch. Fans can tune into the Xbox livestream channel between 1pm PST and 2pm PST where Funcom will also drop a few additional hints at the expansion update content. "

Funcom will be on today during it talking Conan. Not sure how long

"Today, Wednesday June 14th, Funcom will be live on the Xbox E3 Daily Show to talk about the upcoming Xbox launch. Fans can tune into the Xbox livestream channel between 1pm PST and 2pm PST where Funcom will also drop a few additional hints at the expansion update content. "

Thanks!

cackhyena

It means the game will run in 4k in the background, while sending your TV a 1080p image. This means, absolutely no jaggies, you will get essentially perfect image quality, probably no pixelated shadows. All angled lines will look incredibly smooth. Textures will look incredibly detailed no matter how close you get, even if you zoom in, as they will have 4k textures on games that support them.

Also, all of your X360, Xbox original, and non patched X1 games will run better, with basically perfect framerates, have more detailed and clearer looking textures at oblique angles thanks to way better Anisotropic filtering, and your games and system will load substantially faster and probably install substantially faster. Even the OSwill likely run way better.

So yes, a lot of very tangible benefits at 1080p. Some games may even get 60fps modes.I would certainly rexcomend upgrading to 4k when you can though, you will get substantially more detail in the image.

I see this and all I think is, so these bumps in...everything make me not give a shit about 4k until I need to get a new tv. All those things you mentioned sound great. It'll look amazing and run better as it's not being as taxed to output at 4k. I'm down with that.

it wouldn't surprise me if some developers just can't be bothered anymore. But hopefully we end up with a whole lot of them. I have tons of games and i'd love to revisit them.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Since no Modern Warfare 2 Remastered this year, I hope they patch the first with a higher resolution.

According to MS poweruser all these titles are going to be native 4K

https://mspoweruser.com/heres-a-list-of-games-that-run-at-4k-on-xbox-one-x/

Over 60 titles and much more rumored tob native 4K at launch
Wherever they got this information from, it's wrong. There are multiple games on their list already confirmed to be using CBR instead of native resolution. There are also games that haven't even claimed to be 4K, as well as one title we already know is actually 1080p. Given these known errors, I wouldn't trust anything on the list; though a number of the games will surely turn out to actually be native 4K, this isn't a reliable source about that at all.

I dont believe Anthem will be native 4k at the shown graphics. Not possible
It isn't, it's checkerboarded.

No way Ark will be
It isn't, it's 1080p.

It's automatic for anything that isn't 4K Enhanced, as the developer may well have chosen to do something else instead.
Quite right. The Xbox One X patched version of Final Fantasy XV is running at higher resolution (2160c), but seems to have something like 4x or 8xAF.

If you go to the Xbox website it lists the game as 4K:

LrlDQSm.jpg

Source

Edit2:
Okay it is 1080p. Dev is quoted so in an article here: Source
Yeah, the website is wrong.

Wow there's some interesting stuff in there... So it's not just a resolution bump over xb1, they've bumped graphics from medium to epic, added draw distance, volumetric clouds, better lighting.
I think this should be expected for a good number of games. It happens for PS4 Pro, and One X is more powerful.

No BF1 is not in the list, but in the trailer for 4k. Its a bit strange.
Presuming you're speaking about this trailer, that is definitely not all 4K games. The trailer itself doesn't ever claim that, and several of the included games didn't claim it during the press conference either.

I thought ACO was running at dynamic 4k?
It is both dynamic and checkerboarded. It's not clear how often it'll drop below 2160c, though.

Downsampling is making a bigger image smaller. Because you start with more information, the small image is more accurate than if you'd rendered it at the small size to begin with. Xbox One X will downsample to 1080p whenever hooked to a 1080p display, but the game has to be running at a higher resolution to start with. That means only patched games, or new ones with included resolution enhancements, will receive downsampling.

The benefit is better AA and smoother texture filtering, as well as reduced shimmer in motion. How much this matters is a combination of personal taste, your display, your viewing distance, etc. But PS4 Pro owners with 1080p TVs do tend to praise the downsampling it does. PC owners also laud the technique.

That's not surprising. They're already 4K60 on PS4 Pro, though with some dynamic res drops (Smite more often, Paladins rarely). Xbox One X's greater power should definitely let it stick to native.

Xenoflare

What does this change from a PS4 Pro's improvement for a 1080P display? Is it like the boost mode?

I'll be getting this for multiplats and I chose the slim over pro because of the E3 sale, from my understanding the amount of improvements for the Pro wasn't worth the $170+ CAD for me but the more I read into this I feel like their approach for 1080p displays are the same where the games will receive some minor benefits while leaving the most to the developer's merit.

Nah xbox one runs at 720p right ? no way this will be native 4k on the one x

DF said they managed to bring it 4k 30-40 fps with the most basic port without any single optimization.

Reducing the resolution for some effects (like motion blur) could be enough to hit 60, specially if they bring the voodoo from the new iterations of the engine (Battlefield 1 looks even better and even hits 900p and sometimes above on xbone)

thill1985

Banned
It is both dynamic and checkerboarded. It's not clear how often it'll drop below 2160c, though.

Where did Ubisoft say it would drop below 4k checkerboard? You can do dynamic res that uses checkerboarding for its dynamic scaling to scale from checkerboard up to native 4k. Did they specify it was maxing out its dynamic scaling at 4k checkerboard?

What does this change from a PS4 Pro's improvement for a 1080P display? Is it like the boost mode?
For downsampling specifically, Xbox One X and Pro are very similar. It will only apply to patched/enhanced games, but on One X to all of them.* By contrast, PS4 Pro has about 20 games where the dev decided not to enable downsampling, which isn't a choice on Microsoft's new machine.

*Not quite all of them. If the enhancements don't include resolution above 1080p, obviously no downsampling is possible. We already know the Xbox One X enhanced version of ARK is like this (capped at 1080p). But this should be relatively uncommon.

For games with no official enhancements, the Xbox One X automatic improvements are kind of the same general types as PS4 Pro's Boost Mode, but there are some important differences.They both improve load times, and bump up framerates and/or dynamic resolution toward their original targets. That is, if a game targets 900p and 30fps but doesn't hit those, both consoles will match that more often. But the game can't become 1080p or 60fps unless it gets a patch.

However, Microsoft's machine will also add 16xAF and v-sync to such games automatically, which Pro doesn't. It's unclear right now whether that's double-buffered v-sync (which runs the theoretical-but-unlikely risk of dropping to 20fps abruptly), or triple-buffered v-sync (which allows smoothly varying framerate but can introduce latency).

The last difference is how the machines handle problems caused by running games at higher speeds than designed for. PS4 Pro lets the user shut off Boost Mode manually if there are problems. Microsoft doesn't allow user choice; if a game runs badly when boosted on One X, an OS-level patch list will lower or remove boost so the game runs okay again. Potentially, this could mean a game gets no benefit at all from Xbox One X. That should be uncommon, because there's very few issues with Pro. But One X is boosting games much harder, so it remains to be seen if problems are more frequent.

Where did Ubisoft say it would drop below 4k checkerboard?
In this interview.

You can do dynamic res that uses checkerboarding for its dynamic scaling to scale from checkerboard up to native 4k.
No, this is literally impossible. CBR does not function this way. You may wish to read a more thorough explanation of the tech.

Xenoflare

For downsampling specifically, Xbox One X and Pro are very similar. It will only apply to patched/enhanced games, but on One X to all of them.* By contrast, PS4 Pro has about 20 games where the dev decided not to enable downsampling, which isn't a choice on Microsoft's new machine.

*Not quite all of them. If the enhancements don't include resolution above 1080p, obviously no downsampling is possible. We already know the Xbox One X enhanced version of ARK is like this (capped at 1080p). But this should be relatively uncommon.

For games with no official enhancements, the Xbox One X automatic improvements are kind of the same general types as PS4 Pro's Boost Mode, but there are some important differences.They both improve load times, and bump up framerates and/or dynamic resolution toward their original targets. That is, if a game targets 900p and 30fps but doesn't hit those, both consoles will match that more often. But the game can't become 1080p or 60fps unless it gets a patch.

However, Microsoft's machine will also add 16xAF and v-sync to such games automatically, which Pro doesn't. It's unclear right now whether that's double-buffered v-sync (which runs the theoretical-but-unlikely risk of dropping to 20fps abruptly), or triple-buffered v-sync (which allows smoothly varying framerate but can introduce latency).

The last difference is how the machines handle problems caused by running games at higher speeds than designed for. PS4 Pro lets the user shut off Boost Mode manually if there are problems. Microsoft doesn't allow user choice; if a game runs badly when boosted on One X, an OS-level patch list will lower or remove boost so the game runs okay again. Potentially, this could mean a game gets no benefit at all from Xbox One X. That should be uncommon, because there's very few issues with Pro. But One X is boosting games much harder, so it remains to be seen if problems are more frequent.

In this interview.

No, this is literally impossible. CBR does not function this way. You may wish to read a more thorough explanation of the tech.

Thank you very much for the explanation, it was very detailed.

But it does concerns me a bit as the One had more 900p titles than the PS4, that would mean it's going be 900p on a 1080p display correct?

But with the 16xAA I'm sure there are going to be great improvements

thill1985

Banned

That dev interview you linked to does not say what your earlier post suggested. It just says console versions use dynamic res scaling, including on X1X. It does not state or even remotely suggest anything about it being sub 4k checkerboard. Your misunderstanding of CBR and/or dynamic res scaling seems to have lead you to assume things that are not correct.

No it isn't. That is effectively what is done with other reconstruction techniques. Instead of doing a checkerboard sampling for pixel rendering alone you can do those pixels plus render other rows/columns of pixels in response to overhead. That results in a resolution somewhere between the checkerboard and native, scaling upwards as necessary.

That dev interview you linked to does not say what your earlier post suggested. It just says console versions use dynamic res scaling, including on X1X. It does not state or even remotely suggest anything about it being sub 4k checkerboard.
I'm not even sure what you're trying to say. You agree the dev says the game has dynamic resolution on Xbox One X, but then say this doesn't "even remotely suggest" that it's (sometimes) sub-4K? That seems blatantly self-contradictory.

Instead of doing a checkerboard sampling for pixel rendering alone you can do those pixels plus render other rows/columns of pixels in response to overhead. That results in a resolution somewhere between the checkerboard and native, scaling upwards as necessary.
So what you're proposing is using CBR to reach a particular resolution, then scaling it to the largest possible frame buffer, then replacing a variable amount of that image with resampled pixels. I suppose this could work, but it is 1) not using CBR to scale dynamically, which is what I said, and 2) there's no evidence from analysis or from a developer that this idea has ever been used in a game, much less this particular game.

thill1985

Banned
I'm not even sure what you're trying to say. You agree the dev says the game has dynamic resolution on Xbox One X, but then say this doesn't "even remotely suggest" that it's (sometimes) sub-4K? That seems blatantly self-contradictory.

That was not what your earlier post said. Your earlier post suggested it was rendering below 2160c up to 216c as the max. I asked for a source and your provided link never suggested that was the case. It only mentioned dynamic res scaling, and DF's quick look revealed CBR artifacts in the image. There is no reason to assume, as you did, that the game scales up to 2160c as its max. All we know is that it scales dynamically and implements CBR at some stage presumably.

So what you're proposing is using CBR to reach a particular resolution, then scaling it to the largest possible frame buffer, then replacing a variable amount of that image with resampled pixels. I suppose this could work, but it is 1) not using CBR to scale dynamically, which is what I said, and 2) there's no evidence from analysis or from a developer that this idea has ever been used in a game, much less this particular game.

If it is starting with the CBR layout and then using any overhead to render some of the missing pixels before reconstructing the remaining leftovers, that is something I would certainly consider as utilizing a CBR implementation since it starts out that way. There is no indication one way or another AT ALL about how it is scaling, yet you directly suggested earlier it was scaling up to 2160c max and claimed that the dev interview was evidence of this when it was not.

Btw, scaling does not necessarily mean that the pixels are copied and stretched spatially over several physical pixels on the screen. Scaling can be any process that takes sub-native input res and outputs native res, including using CBR + rendering some of the remaining pixels + reconstruction on the leftovers. What is being 'scaled' is the set of pixels being displayed, not the spatial size of the pixels projected into screen space.

Also, Quantum Break does the same thing I described except it may not distribute its initial set of pixels in a checkerboard pattern, which is not germane to the technique I was describing. When QB uses reconstructions from 4 previous frames it is sampling from those frames using different sets of pixels for each and varying those pixel sets dynamically as needed.

Top Bottom