• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X Enhanced - Branding for games with Visual/Performance Improvements

That was not what your earlier post said. Your earlier post suggested it was rendering below 2160c up to 216c as the max. I asked for a source and your provided link never suggested that was the case. It only mentioned dynamic res scaling, and DF's quick look revealed CBR artifacts in the image. There is no reason to assume, as you did, that the game scales up to 2160c as its max. All we know is that it scales dynamically and implements CBR at some stage presumably.
This makes little sense. Analysis shows that when at 3840x2160, Assassin's Creed Origins is using CBR. According to the developer, it is not always at 3840x2160. My assumption was that, no matter the buffer size, it always uses CBR. I believe this because that's what other dynamic CBR games do.

I also believe it because the alternative you're proposing seems perverse. You say the game might not use CBR when the buffer is below 3840x2160, say at 3760x2115. But think about what you're actually claiming there: that the game can natively render 7.95m pixels, but instead of upscaling the last 342k, instead clicks on CBR to natively render 4.15m pixels and then reproject the other half. I mean, this isn't physically impossible, but I can't think of a single benefit should a developer make this choice.

Scaling can be any process that takes sub-native input res and outputs native res....
That's not right. Scaling is any process that transforms one buffer into another of a different size without input from the three-dimensional scene setup. It doesn't require the target to be larger than the source, and it doesn't require that either size be native to the final display device.

EDITED TO ADD: I just noticed you said "Scaling can be" and not "Scaling is", so my response to you isn't valid. If you were just giving an example rather than a definition, there's nothing to correct. I'm going to leave what I wrote so the redaction is clear, but please ignore the struck content.

statham

not to harp on the OP, he was probably just getting news out, but can someone start a new thread that will keep it uptodate? (Idontwantthejob), it'll be years long commitment. Please.

That's not surprising. They're already 4K60 on PS4 Pro, though with some dynamic res drops (Smite more often, Paladins rarely). Xbox One X's greater power should definitely let it stick to native.
Yep, still good to have confirmation though :p

not to harp on the OP, he was probably just getting news out, but can someone start a new thread that will keep it uptodate? (Idontwantthejob), it'll be years long commitment. Please.
Fam, I got you.

v0mitg0d

I'm not clear on something that's probably been covered, so apologies in advanced.

When an regular XBO game is put into scorpio (sorry, like this name better) on a 1080P display, it supersamples with some added effects.

What happens when you put a regular (older) XBO game on a 4K display? clearly it will upscale to 4K, but does it add any AA and other effects across the board to vanilla XBO games?

Frostman

I'm not clear on something that's probably been covered, so apologies in advanced.

When an regular XBO game is put into scorpio (sorry, like this name better) on a 1080P display, it supersamples with some added effects.

What happens when you put a regular (older) XBO game on a 4K display? clearly it will upscale to 4K, but does it add any AA and other effects across the board to vanilla XBO games?

I'm pretty sure they outlined this in their presentation. They said, all games will benefit (unpatched) from 16x AF and faster loading times.

Ambient80

Do we know when they are going to start doing preorders for the new console? I figured Amazon would have something by now, but they just have an email notification for when it begins.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I'm pretty sure they outlined this in their presentation. They said, all games will benefit (unpatched) from 16x AF and faster loading times.

Doesn't that (16x AF) only apply to BC games?

Do we know when they are going to start doing preorders for the new console? I figured Amazon would have something by now, but they just have an email notification for when it begins.

Gamescom?

Leedogg

It hasn't received FCC Certification yet. I don't think you can put up something for pre-order without it.

Cynn

Because my life is a wretched empty husk and my parents didn't love me and so I seek approval or hatred just to feel alive.

Nothing a little whiskey and haggis can't cure. At least for an afternoon.

(thanks for the "info" lol)

So what are the chances of Quantum Break receiving one? Because man..... if One game would benefit from it it's surely that one. I have no idea how time consuming creating a patch is.

Oh, ok, that's cool, since Halo 5 needs it. Would be funny if the MCC was all in 4k as well.

I'm willing to bet that MCC will get a 4k update but Halo 5 will not. Easier to show the massive difference once Halo 6 comes along. And it's 343i we're talking about, wouldn't be surprised if only Spartan Assault got a 4k and they leave the rest of 'legacy' halo in the dust.

mcrommert

Banned
Phil has seen things. Cool things.

Lets all take a second to think about this logically (except you stinkles, you already know whats happening)

If it was just a 4k update to Halo 5 Phil just would have announced it on stage...it would be no different then gears 4 other than slightly less expected because gears shipped so recently

So it has to be related to MCC and some overhaul therin...because thats news actually worth delaying...

Or i'm wrong and they will just announce halo 5 4k at an event along with halo 6 trailer and it was just delayed because phil didn't want to say halo during a presser for the first time in 10 years ( :) )

gamz

Lets all take a second to think about this logically (except you stinkles, you already know whats happening)

If it was just a 4k update to Halo 5 Phil just would have announced it on stage...it would be no different then gears 4 other than slightly less expected because gears shipped so recently

So it has to be related to MCC and some overhaul therin...because thats news actually worth delaying...

Or i'm wrong and they will just announce halo 5 4k at an event along with halo 6 trailer and it was just delayed because phil didn't want to say halo during a presser for the first time in 10 years ( :) )

source.gif

Timu

I'm willing to bet that MCC will get a 4k update but Halo 5 will not. Easier to show the massive difference once Halo 6 comes along. And it's 343i we're talking about, wouldn't be surprised if only Spartan Assault got a 4k and they leave the rest of 'legacy' halo in the dust.
Dang, Halo 5 needs an update!!!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Can you put MCC on the Switch? Would be bonkers. I would quadruple dip.

I would love portable Halo mp but I have a slight concern about the face buttons on the switch as it relates to halo controls especially mobility. I think splatoon will be a good test. Did anyone here try the beta? Is it a valid concern?

Just the fact that games like The Evil Within 2 and Wolfie 2 are not on the list doesn't mean a thing though right? I would say it's a given that those games get an update. I'm extremely looking forward to Wolfie 2 and the release date is really close to the launch of the X. Hope they have a patch out by then.

It's just that there's all kinds of games already on that list that are coming out this year but plenty missing too.

tkalamba

I would love portable Halo mp but I have a slight concern about the face buttons on the switch as it relates to halo controls especially mobility. I think splatoon will be a good test. Did anyone here try the beta? Is it a valid concern?

The Switch Pro Controller does look quite a bit like an Xbox Controller, so that could work?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The Switch Pro Controller does look quite a bit like an Xbox Controller, so that could work?

It definitely would work, the button layout and spacing relative to the right stick is better on the Pro than the Joycons (IMO).

Is Halo 6 being built for Windows 10 and One as well or has that not been announced yet?

Oh funny you should ask that the answer is pretty straightforw.... HEY WAIT A MINUTE YOU FOOLED ME!

Fq7CxQi.jpg

jelly

I would be so happy with Halo MCC getting an overhaul, it should be perfected, upgraded and improved.

Halofest would be pretty neat in 2017 like this.

Halo MCC Mega Update, Halo 3A etc.
Halo 5 4K and more update.
Spielberg TV show reveal.
Halo 6 first teaser.
New Halo cross media stuff.

I would be so happy with Halo MCC getting an overhaul, it should be perfected, upgraded and improved.

Halofest would be pretty neat in 2017 like this.

Halo MCC Mega Update, Halo 3A etc.
Halo 5 4K and more update.
Spielberg TV show reveal.
Halo 6 first teaser.
New Halo cross media stuff.

Change the branding from MCC to The Halo Collection. Include Reach. Completely fixed. All 4k.

A man can dream.

jelly

Change the branding from MCC to The Halo Collection. Include Reach. Completely fixed. All 4k.

A man can dream.

Yeah, I'm dreaming too. Reach would be great without the the horrible ghosty AA. I would like Halo CEA redone in a similar art style to the original. Halo 3A/ODSTA would be fantastic as well, they look nice for the most part but could do with a boost. There is so much they could do to make them better. Should be proud of Halo on Xbox.

Top Bottom