• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X gets a performance mode feature for backwards compatible titles.

Unmoses

Hello Agent. Man, forgot how fun this is. No cloud save, odd thought I had this, but I'm happy to restart. Unbelievable! So much for my backlog, it now includes replays of crackdown =)

Hello Agent. Man, forgot how fun this is. No cloud save, odd thought I had this, but I'm happy to restart. Unbelievable! So much for my backlog, it now includes replays of crackdown =)

Absolutely. I'm loving playing back through this gem again as well. My playthrough of Tales of Berseria had to be put on a hiatus whilst I clean up Pacific City once more. Good times!

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I wonder if Witcher 2 runs at 60fps in performance mode as i think frame rate is unlocked and its hitting up to 40fps in 4k mode according to a video i watched.

2296804d-4cfb-4609-a7l6s8z.png
Wow, that's incredible!

I still have more than a few 360 games on my backlog (though not Horizon 1, of course), and I've been starting to wonder if I should just put them off until I possibly get an X1X in a couple years.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Well mods, I thought it was known that some of the BC uplift titles have some framerate issues....Video......Oblivion falls to 21 Fps in the opening segment with a 9x pixel boost with AA and AF and it's not the only one, on top of that there are some stuttering issues that are also well known and discussed on the W3 for a fair bit already. I think it is one of the reasons why MS decided to put a perf mode in for what it's worth......I have no issues with the perf mode on offer and think it's welcomed. I just feel it still needs improving.

Here's the thing, when XBONEX was said to do a 9x pixel uplift on 360 titles with AA and AF, no one ever thought that perf would not be locked 30 in those older titles. I'm just saying 1080p with the same 16xAF and AA on 360 titles should still net us a nice locked 30fps on said BC titles instead of 720p....

see this is were you got it wrong, they are not changing the game code they are emulating the 360. if a game runs sub 30fps on 360 it will do so on xboxx to abet with better res.

all Microsoft is doing is tweaking their emulator for certain games not rewriting game code

Allandor

Well mods, I thought it was known that some of the BC uplift titles have some framerate issues....Video......Oblivion falls to 21 Fps in the opening segment with a 9x pixel boost with AA and AF and it's not the only one, on top of that there are some stuttering issues that are also well known and discussed on the W3 for a fair bit already. I think it is one of the reasons why MS decided to put a perf mode in for what it's worth......I have no issues with the perf mode on offer and think it's welcomed. I just feel it still needs improving.

Here's the thing, when XBONEX was said to do a 9x pixel uplift on 360 titles with AA and AF, no one ever thought that perf would not be locked 30 in those older titles. I'm just saying 1080p with the same 16xAF and AA on 360 titles should still net us a nice locked 30fps on said BC titles instead of 720p....
This is totally up to the game. BC titles normally run better on xb1 than on xb360. Yes there can be dips, but those are really rare (with the current state of the emulator). but if the game dipped way below 30fps on xb360, it can do so on the xb1/x, too, but normally with a higher framerate. The xbox one x is no wonder-machine, it is just much faster. The 4k updates make totally sense because if the framerate dips in older titels, it is normally the cpu that bottlenecks. the 4k-upgrades for older titles mostly affect the GPU, and GPU-power the xb1x has lefter over is big. Even the xb1 should have enough GPU-power left over on xb360 titles to enhance a bit more than just 16xAF. Would be nice if MS would also apply a little bit of AA on base consoles for BC titles. A 1080p mode for those titles should also be doable. But the question is, if they really want to do that for the base-model.

c0de

I think you put yourself into a corner where it might become tricky for you: let's see what Sony will offer in terms of bc. You already changed your narrative due to the X which already is problematic for your reasoning many times.

thelastword

Banned
As an XBX owner I agree completely. As a long time Gaffer I can't believe I actually agree with you on something. Much prefer framerate and as pretty visuals possible than just all out visuals/resolution bump that sacrifices 60fps. Glad to see Crackdown, have it downloaded now. But I'd much prefer to play it at like 1440p/60fps on my KS-8000 than just straight 4k/30.
I swear I've heard that before ;) Hmmmmm...

khakimzhan

It has been stated multiple times, that Microsoft are not touching original game code. So it is simply impossible to make game run at 60fps if it was originally coded as 30fps game. FPS is much more complex than eycandy - even AI operates based on the FPS count

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Well this is awkward... enhanced Crackdown looks better than Crackdown 3.

Funny so did Fallout 3 compared to the fourth when the BC patch came. Fallout 3 looks like a way newer game compared to Fallout 4.

camelCase

I don't want to get your hopes up but my GTAIV updated itself over the last few days - I haven't tried it yet so don't know what changed.
I wasn't hoping, 60 for that game is a pipe dream. Just finished playing it and eflc again a few months ago, damn those are good. Best dlc ever imo

YoshiMax

I wasn't hoping, 60 for that game is a pipe dream. Just finished playing it and eflc again a few months ago, damn those are good. Best dlc ever imo

Yeah I got to try it last night on X - no enhanced mode options or anything but damn it was smooth in play.

Top Bottom