• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X or Xbox Series S in 2022?

Power Pro

Do you think there is a good case to still be made for buying an Xbox One X over a Series S in 2022? I am torn between buying one or the other at the moment. I already own a pretty decent PC, which kinda has prevented me from getting a Series X system, and I also don't really have the extra money to buy a whole Xbox Series X system, because I just bought a new car, and got car payments up the kazoo. However, for around $200, a Series S, or One X is in my price range right now.

Honestly, the reason I want any Xbox system is to play older games. Backward compatibility and such. However, the Series S doesn't get any of the enhancement that One X and Series X do. Plus, the lack of a disc drive on the Series S makes it so all the physical 360 and OG Xbox games I own can't be used on it. That alone is kinda making me lean towards a One X. I COULD rebuy them on the Series S digitally, but they still don't get the enhancements, so I'm a bit torn. Is the One X a complete waste of money at this point? I wanted to see if the consensus on if this would be a good idea or a bad idea?

Banjo64

cumsessed
Doesn’t get the resolution boost for Xbox One games but original Xbox and 360 games are native 1440p and any FPS boosted games get their enhanced framerate on the Series S.

Personally OP I’d say it’s easily the Series S. I used to start loading Sea of Thieves on my One S and would quit after 2 mins of loading screens. It’s 10 seconds on Series S. HDDs in the bin.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No. One S might get higher resolution in some cross gen games, but it comes at the cost of worse performance and/or reduced visual settings in many cases.

That and the Series S will continue to get games about as long as this gen will last, while the One X will not.

WoJ

I mean if you're buying the console to play old games my initial thought is the One X probably makes more sense if you have a large library of disc based older games. I'd probably go that route based on why you want the console.

That said, I'd make sure the emulation scene on Series S doesn't fit your needs (since you said old games) because if it does then the Series S is a no brsiner.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
One X is not a current gen machine. It doesn’t have fast load times, Quick Resume, many 60fps games, etc.. etc..

It was an amazing console for its time but the Series S is the way to go looking forward. Not to mention the Series S is an absolutely fantastic emulation box and destroys the One X in that regard.

BUT, if the primary reason you want to buy an Xbox is to play your old disc based 360/OG games, then I guess the One X makes sense. But honestly in that case I’d just save up for the Series X instead.

Last edited:

Power Pro

I mean if you're buying the console to play old games my initial thought is the One X probably makes more sense if you have a large library of disc based older games. I'd probably go that route based on why you want the console.

That said, I'd make sure the emulation scene on Series S doesn't fit your needs (since you said old games) because if it does then the Series S is a no brsiner.
Nah, all that emulation stuff can be done on my PC. I literally want something more to run Xbox 360 and OG games. Most Xbox One and Series games I can play on my PC or PS5.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Nah, all that emulation stuff can be done on my PC. I literally want something more to run Xbox 360 and OG games. Most Xbox One and Series games I can play on my PC or PS5.
Oh then if MS doesn't make big announcements for their series backward compatibility then maybe the one X would be better suited for what you want.But keep in mind that there may be some game that will come on next gen that you may wa,nt, if you are sure that you would play them elsewhere annd that the one X is cheaper then go for it.

Power Pro

Doesn’t get the resolution boost for Xbox One games but original Xbox and 360 games are native 1440p and any FPS boosted games get their enhanced framerate on the Series S.

Personally OP I’d say it’s easily the Series S. I used to start loading Sea of Thieves on my One S and would quit after 2 mins of loading screens. It’s 10 seconds on Series S. HDDs in the bin.
I thought 360 and OG Xbox games didn't have any enhancements on the Series S? I remember that before the system was announced thinking it was kind of a bad deal because it didn't even have the One X enhanced options.

If this was 2020 you would have a bet and I would say you would have 1-2 years depending on what games you like before the One X had problems. I would have also told you to get the One X on "all access" at the time since it was still part of the service then and so you could "upgrade" to the S (or X) later.

In 2022, it makes no sense. The One X is still hooked to the Ones core hardware which can't handle many modern games well at all. The gap that was small in 2022 between the two is now huge, especially with current games and all the service and software upgrades.

Series S also have more 'boosts' to older games than the One X does, and you will be taking a major hit with fps on the One X. The one X was powerful for the time even better than the Ps4 Pro, but both of those were bottlenecked by the original hardware and that is where 2022 comes in, it is now pointless buying a new One X in 2022, unless you can find it at a unaware reseller new in box for $99 it's not going to last you. Your time to get the one X when it still has purpose was two years ago.

Also color issues, screen tearing, lag, etc. It's not worth the hassle, and the Series S can be gotten for cheaper than what the Xbox One X was going for MSRP when it was discontinued and even after. In fact, I'm curious were you are finding a $200 One X, but it's not worth it, get the Series X, or take advantage of the $399 temp priced on the Series X if you want a disc drive.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I thought 360 and OG Xbox games didn't have any enhancements on the Series S? I remember that before the system was announced thinking it was kind of a bad deal because it didn't even have the One X enhanced options.

Series S gets almost every FPS boost game.

If you're being given one sure, go for it as a streaming box until you get your hands on a Series. For the love of God don't pay for an X1X though.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, I would go with Xbox Series S at this point. The only major negative is that it's digital only but at some point, last generation will be cut off. As for older games that you may have to rebuy, I would say to just wait for them to be on sale.

WoodyStare

I use a Series X along with a One X. The biggest things for me are the 4K Blu-ray drive and the HDMI-in port which are convenient to have. If it weren’t for these two things, I’d have traded it in for a Series S by now.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Depends on what you're looking for. I have One X, Series S and Series X. I was using One X downstairs when I didn't want to go upstairs for pick up and play gaming. If I'm going to spend an hour or more playing I go upstairs to the couch, Series X and 75" screen. For most games I was using the One X because it generally had better image quality on the 4K TV downstairs. I played through Mass Effect Legendary Edition handing off between One X and Series X and it was great.

The game that turned me off of One X as a secondary box was Guardians of the Galaxy. Not because of image quality, but because of the atrocious load times on One X. I got so frustrated with that game that I started playing it downstairs in my office on a 1080p TV I have and Series S and it was a much better experience. I've barely powered the One X on since then.

I'm thinking of sending my One X out for a re-paste and an upgrade to an internal SSD. I still want to use it for stuff because it does a good job with 4K media. It's not completely useless but it's showing its age.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Series S has an SSD
One X has a 5400 rpm hard drive
Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

Justin9mm

In 2022 I wouldn't buy a One X or Series S.

If you are interested in current gen games then just buy a Series X. Unless you are that financially poor that the price difference is like more than a month's wages, I don't see why you would want an inferior device because the price gap for majority of people is not that much in the long run.

With the PS5 & digital version at least its the same specs but as time goes on now with new developed games for current gen only, the performance gap between Series S and Series X is going to widen even further.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
In 2022 you should not be spending new money on old tech (unless it’s purposely retro), so the One X is out. And you really shouldn’t be spending money on a Series S either, because it’s bum hardware. Just save up a bit more and get a Series X. The Series X can do everything the One X and Series S can do, way better. This is what I would tell anyone.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I don't see the sense in investing in a One X now, the Series S is the one that'll get current gen titles for this whole generation, the X might be able to do higher resolution but with vastly anemic Jaguar CPU cores so lots of 30fps and will increasingly miss out on new games

If you really want to use disks, save up more and go Series X

intbal

Do you think there is a good case to still be made for buying an Xbox One X over a Series S in 2022? I am torn between buying one or the other at the moment. I already own a pretty decent PC, which kinda has prevented me from getting a Series X system, and I also don't really have the extra money to buy a whole Xbox Series X system, because I just bought a new car, and got car payments up the kazoo. However, for around $200, a Series S, or One X is in my price range right now.

Honestly, the reason I want any Xbox system is to play older games. Backward compatibility and such. However, the Series S doesn't get any of the enhancement that One X and Series X do. Plus, the lack of a disc drive on the Series S makes it so all the physical 360 and OG Xbox games I own can't be used on it. That alone is kinda making me lean towards a One X. I COULD rebuy them on the Series S digitally, but they still don't get the enhancements, so I'm a bit torn. Is the One X a complete waste of money at this point? I wanted to see if the consensus on if this would be a good idea or a bad idea?

I would guess I'm one of the few who would choose a One X over a Series S right now. But that's entirely due to the fact that my library of OG and 360 games is vast and I prefer playing those games over 8th and 9th gen titles. Of course I already have a One X, so it's not an issue for me. But if I didn't, and all I could afford atm was either a One X or Series S, I would get the One X. Of course, the Series X would be a better choice, but that's not one of your options, as you have stated. If you're comfortable with the performance of your PC, then you shouldn't need a new console, other than to play your exiting physical xbox games (in which case, Series S is pointless because you can't).

gothmog

Gold Member
I'd say get the Series S. You can always upgrade the storage or trade up for a Series X later if you feel it meets your needs. I have a gaming laptop and a Series X and I usually reach for the Series X when I want to play anything on Xbox. Having it on PC is nice but I usually save the PC for when I'm on the road or want to play a more PC oriented game better suited for M/K controls.

alexross

Neo Member
One X has the worst initial loading time I've have ever seen on a console (longest than the original xbox one...). This and the fast boot of games are real game changing.

mrmeh

I had a One X and now have an Series S and X

- I should add I absolutely loved my One X but I would never ever ever even think about going back to a One X from the S. It's a much better all-round console.

I cannot overstate how much the faster loading times improve everything - not just the initial load but the reloads and level loading, impossible to go back to slow CPU/HD texture loading

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Unless you have a large disc collection, are mostly interested in BC or need the disc drive for any other reason I don’t see why you’d buy a One X today.

Just the loading time difference is enough to make the XSS better no matter what games you play.

no reason for the 1x at all now Its a decent last gen console going forward support for it will end. Series S will be supported for the rest of this gen at least

Three

I would say neither but if you only have a choice of those two it would be a bad idea to get a One X at this stage. Next year you will get games that won't run natively.

If you want to play older games on disc then I'd say save up more and get a Series X. I only recommend the S if you're really on a tight budget and not too bothered about going digital.

The fact there is even a debate between the One X and Series S is something I find to be silly. The only advantage the One X has over the Series S is resolution, its worse at everything else, but a lot.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

So, we’ve just passed two years since Microsoft’s fourth generation home console was released, and like Sony’s PlayStation 5, the triumphant reception of new console release was instead hampered by stock shortages and scammers. But, contrary to Sony’s beleaguered PS5 launch, Microsoft’s new generation has been a little easier for gamers to get their hands on. The smaller, less powerful, but most importantly, significantly cheaper Xbox Series S has been largely available the whole time too.

With arguably a games library lacking in must play first party exclusives, especially when compared to PS5, Xbox Series X|S excels in its services. Xbox Game Pass is still phenomenal value for money. With an extensive library of quality titles available for a relatively paltry monthly subscription fee, Xbox Game Pass encourages players try as many a game as possible. This boon in affordability is unique to Microsoft’s offerings; fewer financial barriers to entry has welcomed in a raft of new players. This, of course, is significant for Microsoft’s shareholders as the Xbox Series S has sold by the boatload. Together with the Xbox Series X, this current crop of home consoles is Microsoft’s best-selling generation since the Xbox 360.

FeldMonster

In your situation, the One X ia the way to go. You already have a computer to do the things that the Series S is better than the One X. The One X is better for backwards compatibility, plus 4K blu ray player and an HDMI input.

Just buy an external USB SSD and put your most played games that, it will help tremendously.

Top Bottom