• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X Review Thread

munroe

Xbox One X reviews are starting to appear, so I thought I'd start a review thread, will try and update as frequently as possible

Here is the first one I found:

Windows Central 4.5/5
After experiencing a game with Xbox One X enhancements, particularly in 4K, it's simply hard to go back to standard HD. There are no doubts about the hardware potential. It's just that as of writing, it's hard to know for sure how much waiting you'll have to do to see the console and that expensive 4K display achieve their money's worth. And that's unfortunate. With the hardware totally nailed, it all depends on how much faith you're willing to put in Microsoft to deliver those games, and how long you're willing to wait for that promised 4K content.

The Verge 8.5/10
That said, the X does offer the best graphics currently possible on a console. If you don't care about Sony's exclusives then the Xbox One X will be the best console to play all the cross-platform games coming out. If you already have a large stack of Xbox One games and you're using the original console, this is going to be a nice upgrade if you own a 4K TV.

For anyone else, this probably isn't the console for you. Sony really has some impressive exclusives on the way, and it's hard for Microsoft to counter this despite its great job on the hardware. Microsoft promised the best hardware, and it delivered — but that's nothing without games.

Engadget No Score
Ultimately, the Xbox One X offers some major performance upgrades that gamers will notice -- especially if you're coming from an original Xbox One. But it's also a bit disappointing since it's coming a year after the PS4 Pro, and it doesn't offer VR yet. For Microsoft fans, though, none of that will matter. It's exactly what the company promised: the fastest game console ever made.

T3 5/5
So no, be under no illusion, the Xbox One X is a premium piece of kit and you'll need a premium set-up to truly appreciate it. As such, if you've been looking for a console to finally catch up to your premium 4K, HDR, surround sound home cinema setup, then this is it. If you're not that person though, at this stage it's looking like you might want to make your upgrades elsewhere before investing in the most powerful console around.

There can be no doubting the Xbox One X's power, with Microsoft's new console capable of pushing out over a whopping 8 million HDR-equipped pixels. Indeed, from what we've played so far, games look and sound better than they ever have before and, when the hardware is fed a title built purposefully to tap into its raw power, such as Forza Motorsport 7, the audio-visual experience is spectacular. If you're thinking of pulling the trigger though, then you better make sure you have the setup to fully appreciate the X before parting with your hard earned cash.

IGN (Review in progress) 8.7 (Review in progress)
The Xbox One X is a very impressive collection of hardware crammed into a sleek case. It runs cool and quiet as it delivers impressive performance in the enhanced games we've been able to test out so far. It's hard to believe Microsoft exclusives like Gears of War 4 can look so good and run so smoothly on a box that costs less than half of what you'd pay for a high-end gaming PC. Plus, it caters to home theater enthusiasts with 4K ultra-HD Blu-ray playback and Atmos sound. However, the big question of how it compares to the PlayStation 4 Pro in running third-party games remains, for now, unanswered. We won't know for sure until those enhanced updates come out around the November 7 launch,

Gamespot No score
While the Xbox One X is an expensive box, from a hardware standpoint, you're getting a very powerful and capable machine. You'll be hard pressed to build a comparably powerful PC for $500. On top of that, you get a 4K HDR Blu-ray player, which can cost several hundred dollars on its own.

The Xbox One X isn't perfect. From what I can tell so far, its load times don't live up to Microsoft's claims, and I noticed some poor HDR implementation, but when a developer is able to take advantage of the hardware, you can get sharper visuals, more vibrant colors, better performance, and added graphical bells and whistles. Playing Gears of War 4 on the Xbox One X really feels like it's the way it's meant to be played.

True Achievements No score
Should you buy this console? The answer really comes down to two things: affordability, and your existing setup. There's no doubt that £450 or $499 isn't cheap as far as a new console goes, but then the most powerful console ever made was never likely to be. For anyone upgrading from a vanilla Xbox One but who already owns a 4K TV, you'll instantly see a huge difference — it will be like going from a CRT to HD all over again.

If you've not got a 4K set yet, you might want to hold off until you do; likewise if you've recently upgraded to an S and don't want to shell out again. For everyone else, or anyone who just has to have the latest piece of shiny kit sat below their TV, this is a significant step up, the benefits of which will be immediately obvious. Plus, Christmas is just around the corner, and what would you really rather have instead?

What Hi-Fi 4/5
The Xbox interface has never been better and the X's new bitstreaming ability brings it into line with common 4K Blu-ray decks, which can only be a good thing. There's also a bump in Blu-ray picture quality and its audio abilities are more rounded.

But the Xbox One X isn't flawless, and its usefulness as a 4K console partly hangs on the will of game developers. However, if you're all geared up for 4K and want the most capable, all-in-one console currently available, this is it.

Rolling Stone No score
Those are ultimately minor issues that only stand out at all because of my annoyance at the Xbox One X's price tag. It doesn't cost too much, mind — just more than I want it to. It's not so much that I'm not going to pay it. Microsoft articulated a vision for the Xbox One X that it wasn't clear it could achieve, but even now, a week prior to release, it appears to have been successful.

Microsoft has been cagey about what the Xbox One X means for the traditional console generation, whether it signifies an iPhone style model moving forward, of iterative hardware in a more static ecosystem, or if this is just a half-step toward another, more traditional console generation. Neither would especially surprise me at this point, and neither would make me angry — as long as Microsoft keeps the promise that the Xbox One X seems to be making.

For now, it's unclear if Microsoft's pivot to power and to legacy will be a turning point in this console generation, or if it's just a cool way for Xbox owners to experience their collection and the games to come. For players with 4K televisions, or who want the best possible console experience for third-party games, Microsoft has created the hardware to find it — assuming you're willing to pay the price.

Wired 7/10
The lack of Xbox One X enhanced games at launch mirrors the lack of compelling games on the Xbox One as a whole. When it all comes together — when HDR makes games as bright and as colourful as developers imagined them, when 4K resolution makes them pin sharp, when high frame rates make them wonderfully responsive — the Xbox One X is without doubt the best place to play. It has the power of the PC with little of the faff and killer controller. Even the user interface, once one of the most frustrating to use on a consumer device, has been pleasingly overhauled to be faster and to put games front and center.

But there are so few games on the Xbox One I actually want to play. Sony's recent press conference in Paris had its problems, but the ambition and quality of the games it showcased was never in doubt. The Last of Us 2, Spider-Man, God of War, Detroit: Become Human — these are games that sell systems. As good as Forza 7 is, the Xbox One doesn't yet have a single exclusive killer app, let alone enough to fill a press conference.

The Xbox One X is what the Xbox One should have been at launch: a well-designed practical console that, like the Xbox 360 before it, makes a generational leap in graphics. If it had been, perhaps Microsoft wouldn't find itself in the situation it's in now: a games company with a brilliant bit of hardware and so very little to play on it.

Independent No score
Thanks to these upgrades, the Xbox One X just about snatches the title of best console available on the market when considering the sheer power of the machine. However, you still have the issue of the Xbox One's back-catalogue — unless you're a Halo fan, there's just no competing with the game's available on PlayStation. Still, if you want the best experience playing Call of Duty: World War II on a console, look no further than the X. Whether that's worth the upgrade remains debatable.

dc89

The Guardian- 4/5

If your decision is about upgrading from an Xbox One or Xbox One S, it would be smart to wait a while and see just how enthusiastically developers support the new machine. Currently, Microsoft says around 150 titles are getting enhancements for Xbox One X (including both forthcoming titles and legacy favourites like Witcher 3 and Final Fantasy XV), but these will vary enormously in scope and ambition.

If you’re a PS4 owner tempted by the “most powerful console ever made” shtick, have a good look at the exclusive titles coming to both machines and ask yourself what you want to play. It’s not all about visuals after all.

Multiplatform titles will almost certainly look better on Xbox One X than on PS4 Pro, sometimes very noticeably (and elements like increased draw distance and smoother frame-rates can have a palpable effect on your gameplay experience), but is it worth the extra £100? That’s a conversation you need to have with your aesthetic standards and your wallet.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I rate it 10 out of 10 for being a native 4k console mostly with uhd playback function 🤔

samred

Ars Technica (no score)

In some ways, Microsoft doesn’t leave much room for us to complain about the Xbox One X’s sales proposition without sounding whiny. The cost-to-performance ratio is off the charts, and enhanced games make the console’s brute-force pixel-pushing potential abundantly clear. The system’s general design and profile follows the handsome Xbox One S to make for an understated, elegant addition to any home entertainment system. It’s not a blustering, whiny, loud thing. It’s cool. We like the Xbox One X.

Yet our early look at the Xbox One X feels necessarily incomplete, thanks to the limited selection of enhanced games available at press time. Plenty of further One X enhancements have been promised for the launch period and beyond, and we’ll update our thoughts when we get our hands on some of those. But the fact that so many publishers and developers, including Microsoft’s first-party brass, are scrambling in the days leading to this new system’s launch does not necessarily bode well for the future of these kinds of enhancements.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Pumped for mine to arrive. Happens to arrive right when I have a week of PTO scheduled.

That said, don't know if I'll be buying any games for it at all yet.

Going to play Forza Horizon 3(which I bought with my XBOS), Halo 5(My Biggest graphical dissapointment of the gen right above ME:A.), Quantum Break, and then some BC games like Red Dead and Reach. Maybe some EA Acess games.

That said, have my eye on CoD WWII, AC:O, and Forza 7.

Inviusx

Sony really has some impressive exclusives on the way, and it’s hard for Microsoft to counter this despite its great job on the hardware. Microsoft promised the best hardware, and it delivered — but that’s nothing without games

Microsoft are not in a good spot right now.

xrnzaaas

Microsoft are not in a good spot right now.

That's the best thing what can be said about the console. You're stuck with Forza 7 and multiplatform games for the time being and it doesn't look that good for the future. Crackdown 3 won't be a system seller, Sea of Thieves ain't for everyone and State of Decay 2 is still a not too ambitious AA game.

That's the best thing what can be said about the console. You're stuck with Forza 7 and multiplatform games for the time being and it doesn't look that good for the future. Crackdown 3 won't be a system seller, Sea of Thieves ain't for everyone and State of Decay 2 is still a not too ambitious AA game.
Yep. Seriously lacking anything game wise now other than third party.

munroe

Any words on FAN NOISE when playing demanding titles?

From what I can remember when briefly going through these reviews, the Gamespot writeup had a bit on fan noise

Edit: Literally just a bit:

Sitting in the dashboard, the Xbox One X runs silently. When we fired up Gears of War 4, a slight hum from the cooler arose, but it's impressively whisper-quiet.

Goalus

Yes. PUBG will clearly enable them to sell 40 million more consoles to overtake PS4

Hardware sales don't matter as much as MAU - they are mostly important to fanboys who are unable to adapt their outdated thought patterns to the modern market situation.

Who cares if the PS4 sold more units? The important thing for MS is that they have a reliable platform that is profitable, steadily growing and future-proof. I personally see the Xbox One X as a 2-year headstart into next-gen for MS.

solis74

Not long now and this beast will be mine!

So no, be under no illusion, the Xbox One X is a premium piece of kit and you’ll need a premium set-up to truly appreciate it. As such, if you’ve been looking for a console to finally catch up to your premium 4K, HDR, surround sound home cinema setup, then this is it. If you’re not that person though, at this stage it’s looking like you might want to make your upgrades elsewhere before investing in the most powerful console around.

There can be no doubting the Xbox One X's power, with Microsoft's new console capable of pushing out over a whopping 8 million HDR-equipped pixels. Indeed, from what we've played so far, games look and sound better than they ever have before and, when the hardware is fed a title built purposefully to tap into its raw power, such as Forza Motorsport 7, the audio-visual experience is spectacular. If you're thinking of pulling the trigger though, then you better make sure you have the setup to fully appreciate the X before parting with your hard earned cash.

Inviusx

If I bought a PS4 Pro today what new exclusives should I get?

Horizon, Last Guardian, Infamous SS, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, GT Sport (if you're into that sort of thing), NIOH. That should keep you busy until God of War, Detroit, TLOU 2.

F40

Neo Member
what in the title of this thread would lead you to believe that this was a good place for this question?

*baffled

Don't be baffled. So I'm supposed to comment on the title of a thread or the contents of the OP? The reviewers in the OP are using the argument of exclusive game to make a point about the XBX vs PS4 Pro. I asked a questioned based on information that was presented in the OP. My question was already answered by previous post.

im_dany

Did Verge really complain that MS canceled Scalebound (jan 2017), Fable (may 2016) and Ion (which was NOT a MS game), forgetting State of Decay 2 and Sea of Thieves releasing next year? And why are they citing FF7 Remake (not in development), Death Stranding (preproduction) and TLOU p2 (still no gameplay in trailers) as part of the coming PS4 lineup?

Xbox 2017 was weak. Xbox 2018 looks weak right now (Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2 are currently planned as first half), but we're still in november 2017 and MS is not new to revealing games just a few months before release (take the Forza Horizon franchise, Gears of War Ultimate Edition, Master Chief Collection, Sunset Overdrive). I hope, after sorting out the hardware, they'll do the same with the software. If they don't, then X1X will be my last Microsoft console.

Horizon, Last Guardian, Infamous SS, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, GT Sport (if you're into that sort of thing), NIOH. That should keep you busy until God of War, Detroit, TLOU 2.

Does that mean I could count Forza Horizon 3, Gears 4, Halo 5, Recore, Sunset Overdrive, Halo Wars 2 and such as new Xbox One exclusives?

Sweep14

I think they are in a great position. PS4 might find some use for a few exclusives, everything else is better on Xbox. PUBG in December will finish the job.

If it was the same price as PS4 Pro, you would have a point. But it's not. Sony can even diminish the MS' offer with X1X by cutting 50$ on PS4 Pro.

Windows Central really is a joke.

How the XB1X can get away with having no true exclusives is beyond me. Costing $500 and having no exclusives and still getting favourable scores?! It must be the only console in history to get such favourable treatment from the games media.

How the XB1X can get away with having no true exclusives is beyond me. Costing $500 and having no exclusives and still getting favourable scores?! It must be the only console in history to get such favourable treatment from the games media.

Not to hard to understand that Microsoft now looks at windows 10 store as part of the Xbox eco system, true exclusives to the console won't happen anymore so people just need to get over it. It doesn't matter to Microsoft if you buy the game on console or pc.

Because those are reviews of the console, not how many exclusives it has. It's not rocket science.

Poppyseed

Maybe because multi-plats are the majority of games out there, and X1X is the best place to play them?

solis74

great news!

Our Xbox One X coverage is now live. Quite a few pics and comparisons included. Assassin's Creed Origins and Halo 3 have impressed us the most...

https://www.gamespew.com/2017/11/just-noisy-xbox-one-x/

I couldn’t quite believe my ears to be honest. After listening to the loud whirrs of my PlayStation 4 Pro and the muffled hum of an Xbox One S, I expected the Xbox One X to maybe sit comfortably between the two, but it is noticeably quieter than both. Maybe I’ve just got a good unit, but during normal operations it is inaudible.

geordiemp

If I had a xb1 OG or S, then day 1.

As I have a Pro, not really worth it.

Not changing console again until we get a Ryzen console and a 60 FPS capable console for those 30 FPS games.

Biggest changer and noticable improvement for me for Pro or Xb1X is HDR if you have a capable TV>

If you dont have an HDR TV, then I would not bother, unless your TV is bloody huge (at 55 inch and 8feet, its noticable but not wow different).

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Lots of Fan boyish comments in this review thread already. its a console review thread not comparison thread.

Console looks a beast and as for having no games it will play Battlefront 2 won't it? it will play COD WW 2 won't it?

Yes there are other consoles that will play these games to, Xbox X has potential to play these games at the best fidelity , I aint saying it will but it has the potential to

solis74

very welcome also :)

Load time chart.

072832.jpg

Not changing console again until we get a Ryzen console and a 60 FPS capable console for those 30 FPS games.

Biggest changer and noticable improvement for me for Pro or Xb1X is HDR if you have a capable TV>

If you dont have an HDR TV, then I would not bother, unless your TV is bloody huge (at 55 inch and 8feet, its noticable but not wow different).

Fair summary and explains why I have pre-ordered.

All friends on XBox, have an S and the OG box, have an LG OLED, need an UHD Blu-Ray player under my TV and don't have enough time to play all of the console exclusives out there never mind the multi-plats.

If you don't have a top spec gaming PC then this is a good decision.

Ryunohadouken

Neo Member
I pre-ordered the Scorpio edition mainly for media playback. The Xbox One OG was my first MS console ever and I loved the media center aspect. Worked exceptionally well. I have an LG B7 OLED now and although I own a Switch and a PS4 Pro, Sony just doesn't handle media playback as well. It's too restricted. Plus, I was in the market for a UHD drive, and since it's too complicated on PC, X1X seems to be the logical choice instead of upgrading my motherboard and CPU in my rig: Xeon e5-2650v3, Asus Rampage V Extreme, 16GB Ripjaws 4, 960GB SanDisk Extreme Pro, 2TB WD black, Win 10 Pro, XFX RX 480 GTR Black Edition that I got for free with a warranty replacement from a 280x Black Edition.

boneso

"...it's hard to know for sure how much waiting you'll have to do to see the console and that expensive 4K display achieve their money's worth. And that's unfortunate... it all depends on how much faith you're willing to put in Microsoft to deliver those games, and how long you're willing to wait for that promised 4K content."

"4.5/5"

eh?

DigSCCP

MS delivered what they promissed.
The most powerful console.
And thats that.
I think they should have gone deeper into bringing Xbox One back to the "war" with software but thats another discussion.

Neifirst

This is definitely true. I bought a 65" KS8000 and PS4 Pro last year just for the best version of Final Fantasy XV (don't laugh!). While the higher resolution was nice, the HDR lighting in FFXV and especially Ratchet & Clank was unbelievable. Since the Switch dominates my gaming time, I can't justify dropping $500 on this impressive system, but if they could somehow sweet talk EA into releasing updated versions of Burnout 3 and Revenge I would change my mind in an instant.

thatJohann

My concern was right then. Not enough games to support the machine for now. I'll hold off on getting this until next year.

Vasto

Just waiting for the Digital Foundry videos to start pouring on. 70 Enhanced titles should be available at release.

This is just my opinion. I'm a Sony fanboy for sure, I've been loyal to Sony franchises and consoles since the PS2, but I'm not trying to start a war here.

Microsoft either has something up their sleeves or they are tackling this gen on the wrong direction. They can't focus solely on the hardware, they need the software to back it up.

I want Sony to stay in first place, but I also know that competition is good for us consumers.

It's like having a Ferrari but no fuel.

g11

Currently, Microsoft says around 150 titles are getting enhancements for Xbox One X (including both forthcoming titles and legacy favourites like Witcher 3 and Final Fantasy XV), but these will vary enormously in scope and ambition.

That's what gives me the most pause currently. Sony talked a big game about Pro enhancements too, but almost immediately the results were lackluster, especially among third parties. Considering third party is pretty much all Microsoft has got for the time being, I'll wait to see what support looks like a month, 3 months, 6 months from now.

breakfuss

This is just my opinion. I'm a Sony fanboy for sure, I've been loyal to Sony franchises and consoles since the PS2, but I'm not trying to start a war here.

Microsoft either has something up their sleeves or they are tackling this gen on the wrong direction. They can't focus solely on the hardware, they need the software to back it up.

I want Sony to stay in first place, but I also know that competition is good for us consumers.

It's like having a Ferrari but no fuel.

It’s funny that at the beggining of the gen, when Sony had a dearth of good exclusives, warrirors were saying it was “multiplats that really mattered. That’s why people buy consoles!” Now the narrative has shifted. 🤔

Top Bottom