• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Original Programming

I am not shitting on it at all, it's fact. I'd say the same thing if Sony were to do something they simply are not well equipped to do.

I don't see how Microsoft is any less well equipped to do this than Netflix. They already have their content delivery system set up and they seem to be partnering with / hiring smart and well respected people from the industry.

Polygon's story also has them saying they are looking into TV series or features based on any of their exclusive games. "Xbox Entertainment say they are working with the different game studios to see which makes sense as television or feature."

Franchises they have been looking into so far are Gears, Forza, State of Decay, Fable, Age of Empires.

"First and foremost is actually working with the game studios," Tellem said. "We are not pursuing something unless, again, we take the lead from the game studios. We take the lead from, in the past for example, when you look at Gears of War, Hollywood has approached the game studio and they've tried to develop features. The thing that's great is that we're effectively their in-house arm, where we're concious about the brand, about the fans, and we take their lead as opposed to the other way around."

Sounds like MS got some good proven talent to run the Xbox Originals Programming which is good and they seem to be focused on doing it properly and hopefully the shows are good, will check them out when they're released.

CoG

Amazon isn't dominating shit in terms of original content. All their shows are hot garbage and Microsoft can easily step in and eat their lunch on that front. I mean shit, most people don't even like the Amazon video because it made Prime go up

But Amazon Instant Video doesn't require you use a Fire TV to view their originals. Microsoft's audience is limited to their devices. I don't think any online service is limited to a specific subset of devices.

Ape

Banned
Additionally, the availability of shows will depend on Xbox users' subscription status. Tellem stated that she would love for all series to not be behind the paywall, but that was unlikely to end up being the case. In special cases, it appears series will also be available beyond the Xbox dashboard: Humans is being developed in partnership with the UK's Channel 4, so it will also air on TV.

link

edit: damn you!

You don't announce this much and not be serious about your commitment. In other words, even if Microsoft were to leave the games industry altogether, I believe they would still be pushing this every bit as hard as they are currently, because they look at the popularity of things like House of Cards on Netflix, Hulu, original programming on channels like HBO or Starz etc and they legitimately believe this is worth pursuing. Xbox just happens to be a very smart and convenient brand to attach this to, but I think they're dead serious about this.
....to what end exactly?

:s

This makes sense as an incentive and value-add for existing subscription services. In itself though it isn't enough to justify a subscription service. And even if it was the revenue would be meager compared to Microsoft's current haul and the money would be better spent elsewhere.

jelly

But Amazon Instant Video doesn't require you use a Fire TV to view their originals. Microsoft's audience is limited to their devices. I don't think any online service is limited to a specific subset of devices.

Xbox Music is on iOS and Android. Not hard to imagine it going to other devices, same for Xbox Video.

ironcreed

Banned
Blockbuster, 1980 circa:
- Hello, I want to rent a movie
- Yep, have you already registered?
- HAH! I WON'T!

LOL, okay. I'm sorry if I am not a fan of having to pay a subscription fee in order to use the internet that I already pay for. I'll only do it because I want one of the new systems and it is a requirement on both the Xbox One and PS4 now. The Xbox One just has the games and features that appeal to me and that is all I care about. Any subscriptions on top of that can fuck right off.

Daemul

“Every Street United”

“Every Street United” is an unscripted series of eight, thirty-minute episodes and a one-hour finale, featuring legendary soccer players Thierry Henry and Edgar Davids, focused on the global search for soccer’s most gifted and undiscovered street stars scouted across eight countries (United States, England, Argentina, Spain, Brazil, the Netherlands, Ghana and South Korea). The series culminates this July in a 4v4 street game finale in the shadow of the World Cup in Rio de Janeiro.

Each episode will feature unique and incisive narratives about the grassroots street stars and the communities that shaped them. Industry veteran and eight-time Emmy-Award winning producer, director, writer and editor Jonathan Hock (“Streetball,” “30 for 30: The Best That Never Was”) is directing the series. Emmy-Award winning producer Mike Tollin and Mandalay Sports Media are executive producing. Professional soccer luminaries, Henry and Davids, will serve as coaches for the 4v4 street game in Rio. “Every Street United” will premiere in June 2014. All episodes will be available through Xbox Video for Xbox One, Xbox 360, Windows 8 (PC and Surface) and Windows Phone 8.

Polygon's story also has them saying they are looking into TV series or features based on any of their exclusive games. "Xbox Entertainment say they are working with the different game studios to see which makes sense as television or feature."

Franchises they have been looking into so far are Gears, Forza, State of Decay, Fable, Age of Empires.

c6RDBuJ.gif

jelly

....to what end exactly?

:s

This makes sense as an incentive and value-add for existing subscription services. In itself though it isn't enough to justify a subscription service. And even if it was the revenue would be meager compared to Microsoft's current haul and the money would be better spent elsewhere.

They are creating an ecosystem. Can't really pick and choose. Even if one part isn't making megabucks, that part is still needed to entice users into the ecosystem or they might completely go elsewhere.

Hattori

Banned
I'm a big fan of documentaries, so this (documentary series) is definitely up my alley. Hopefully the quality is up to par.

The bonnaroo bit is pretty awesome. Would love for them to start streaming every big festival. Youtube already does it so all they would have to do is just let you use the youtube stream, basically.

Bessy67

Color me interested in a few of those. If I can watch them for free with my gold subscription you've got yourself a viewer, MS.

Synth

Xbox Music is on iOS and Android. Not hard to imagine it going to other devices, same for Xbox Video.

The issue is though, they state that only MS devices can view it. If it were simply a case of the device requiring Xbox Video access, than plenty of other devices should already be able to access them through the Xbox Video website. So it seems they're making a conscious choice not to allow these devices access. Which is stupid imo.

LOL, okay. I'm sorry if I am not a fan of having to pay a subscription fee in order to use the internet that I already pay for. I'll only do it because I want one of the new systems and it is a requirement on both the Xbox One and PS4 now. The Xbox One just has the games and features that appeal to me and that is all I care about. Any subscriptions on top of that can fuck right off.

It's not like everything carrying the Xbox name is at the expense on gaming. Do you think we'd automatically get more games if there was no Xbox Music? Would OneDrive be at the detriment of gamers if it had been called Xbox Drive instead? MS is a large company with many initiatives. They've chosen to use the Xbox brand name wherever the content applies to entertainment, that doesn't mean it's coming of out the gaming side's pockets. This suggestion is becoming extremely tiring to read.

Daemul

I wonder if MS could do a deal with the big European football leagues and get the matches available on XBL. If they did that I could finally get rid of Sky, because football is all I watch on it these days.

ironcreed

Banned
It's not like everything carrying the Xbox name is at the expense on gaming. Do you think we'd automatically get more games is there was no Xbox Music? Would OneDrive be at the detriment of gamers if it had been called Xbox Drive instead? MS is a large company with many initiatives. They've chosen to use the Xbox brand name wherever the content applies to entertainment, that doesn't mean it's coming of out the gaming side's pockets. This suggestion is becoming extremely tiring to read.

No, I think the games are there and that is why I will be buying the system. I'm just not a fan of this particular venture and don't see it taking off. That, and I would rather see even more of a central focus on games with those resources. But I guess we shall see.

Bessy67

I wonder if MS could do a deal with the big European football leagues and get the matches available on XBL. If they did that I could finally get rid of my TV, because football is all I watch on it these days.

I'm not really sure about how that stuff works in the Europe, but in the US I know the cable companies will fight to the death to keep sports programming cable exclusive because they know sports is one of the biggest reasons people still have cable subscriptions.

Some of the shows on the list sound quite interesting. Would have been nice if they would have announced if this was free for gold members though.

LKSmash

Far more robust and interesting list than I figured they'd go for. Very intrigued as long as the shows are included with Gold.

Daemul

I'm not really sure about how that stuff works in the Europe, but in the US I know the cable companies will fight to the death to keep sports programming cable exclusive because they know sports is one of the biggest reasons people still have cable subscriptions.

Yeah, true, If MS really, really, REALLY wanted to they probably could since they have the money, but it would cost them a few billions to buy the rights to exclusively show the sports. Maybe they could get into some sort of partnership or something with the cable companies, I don't know, it's most likely not going to happen anyway.

RedStep

If they added value in terms of notable gaming-related features, then people would be hyped.

But these are potentially interesting shows that are only tangentially related to gaming at best. Do you not understand why a hardcore gaming forum doesn't go crazy for TV announcements?

Bullshit, bro.

This "hardcore gaming" forum has no problem discussing Japanese dating sims, casual phone games, The Tester, and all manner of non-hardcore-gaming interests without the same sustained level of nonsense. There's something that compels people who "don't care about this" to open a thread and post a reply just to say that they don't care about it, but I'll let you figure out what that is.

Gorillaz

Very interested in what they are planning. Wondering if it will be worth the gamble or not since most shows nowadays are seen through illegal means and streaming.

blakep267

Much like hulu plus. I'm expecting there to be ads throughout the programs. It I my makes sense. Have it be behind the gold paywall but free with ads. Of course people will complain about ads even though normal tv has commercials

Oppo

I don't see how Microsoft is any less well equipped to do this than Netflix. They already have their content delivery system set up and they seem to be partnering with / hiring smart and well respected people from the industry.

Because this is very far outside of Microsoft's core competencies. Its a bigger risk than even the Xbox project itself in many ways.

Think about how Microsoft can leverage their immense software expertise for servers and operating systems. We know that's an advantage for them. They've been doing it for decades, they have a whole giant machine in place for that sort of work.

Sony on the other hand has been doing core content for decades, and across multiple formats. They have the same level of high specialization here when it comes to actually producing TV shows, movies, and music as an overall entity.

I think Microsoft certainly has the money and wherewithal technically to deliver stuff, but producing stuff – especially in the face of incredibly fierce competition from Netflix, Amazon, Apple etc – that is indeed going to be a challenge for them.

Also, platform-specific content is just gross. You'll notive that you don't have any trouble getting Breaking Bad on an Apple TV.

Bessy67

Much like hulu plus. I'm expecting there to be ads throughout the programs. It I my makes sense. Have it be behind the gold paywall but free with ads. Of course people will complain about ads even though normal tv has commercials

Obviously I'd rather have no ads, but I wouldn't really mind ads like Hulu if the programming is included with gold.

Synth

No, I think the games are there and that is why I will be buying the system. I'm just not a fan of this particular venture and don't see it taking off. That, and I would rather see even more of a central focus on games with those resources. But I guess we shall see.

Yea, that's fine. But at the same time that can also be said forever regardless of what they provide. Open 10 more studios, fund 20 more games, and then do some TV shows? "I wish they put those resources to even more games!". The only way for this complaint to cease existing is to turn MS into Nintendo and have them offer nothing else in the entertainment realm. It's not a very reasonable thing to request of them.

You also named checked companies like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and so on as a reason why they have little chance at succeeding, but then also stated that they should approach this as a completely separate entity not connected to their biggest entertainment successes so far. So you're suggesting that they create a new Zune essentially, by having them not leverage areas where they already have brand recognition and leaving it to fend for itself... and you expect that to help them in their battle against Netflix and other established alternatives with tons of mindshare currently? That doesn't make any sense to me. The Zune store languished for years before being rebranded as Xbox Music, despite being an almost identical offering (slightly better in fact). Using the Xbox brand for this purpose makes perfect sense.

The only thing I definitely think they are doing wrong at this point, is having the content restricted to Microsoft devices.

Guevara

Oh boy Re/Code's sources skewer Microsoft:

The slow-grinding pace of the “Halo” TV series is just one of the many challenges the veteran network executive confronts as Tellem attempts to build a digital television network and studio within the plodding technology goliath undergoing its own soul-searching and rounds of executive shuffling all the way up to the top.

After a period of uncertainty, Satya Nadella was named Microsoft’s chief executive in February, ending a months-long search for a successor to Steve Ballmer. Less than two months later, Nadella installed Phil Spencer, the former general manager of Microsoft Studios, to head the Xbox unit — the third executive to hold the post since July 2013.

Interviews with several entertainment industry executives who have attempted to do business with Xbox Entertainment Studios describe an operation with big ambitions to dominate the living room, but one that has gotten off to a rough start.

Sources paint a picture of a disorganized studio that struggles to close deals and lacks a fully fleshed-out business model. This inability to execute has turned off potential studio partners, they say, complicating the process of securing premium content.

http://recode.net/2014/04/28/microsoft-xbox-struggles-in-big-hollywood-foray/

Re/Code is right more often than they are wrong, especially regarding Microsoft.

Anarkin

So, will they change Xbox Video into a streaming service like Netflix? I want to stream everything on Xbox Video and not only a couple of shows.

Synth

So, will they change Xbox Video into a streaming service like Netflix? I want to stream everything on Xbox Video and not only a couple of shows.

There is no way everything on Xbox Video would make it into a streaming service. No chance in hell.

jem0208

I quite like the sound of the football documentary and if the Halo series is anything like Forward unto Dawn except with a better budget then it will be great :D

Pretty much the only way they'll get away with making this available on Microsoft devices that are not Xboxes will be if it's all pay-per-view, and your Live Gold status would have zero effect on how much you'll pay. The odds of any of this stuff being complementary to Gold subscribers is so laughably slim I can't believe anyone's contemplating the possibility.

Meh. The only one on the list I'm even vaguely interested in is conveniently the one that's getting broadcast on Channel 4 (and hence YouTube), so I don't care.

Some potentially interesting stuff I guess and great if it's included in the Gold subscription. Can't see me paying any extra for any of this though.

Pillville

I guess this really ends any hope of Netflix, Youtube, etc... getting out from behind the GOLD paywall. MS isn't going to let other video streaming apps out when they just put their own behind it.

Even if theirs is at no "additional" cost besides the cost of GOLD, they wouldn't want people falling back to Silver to still be able to use other services and not theirs.

Bessy67

Pretty much the only way they'll get away with making this available on Microsoft devices that are not Xboxes will be if it's all pay-per-view, and your Live Gold status would have zero effect on how much you'll pay. The odds of any of this stuff being complementary to Gold subscribers is so laughably slim I can't believe anyone's contemplating the possibility.

Meh. The only one on the list I'm even vaguely interested in is conveniently the one that's getting broadcast on Channel 4 (and hence YouTube), so I don't care.

There's nothing stopping them from including it with gold. You can still buy a gold subscription without a console.

Top Bottom