• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

|OT| Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

Jul 29, 2013
US
D&D Dark Alliance drops in a just under 2 days, Day 1 GP release. Pre-loading now and looking forward to trying it out. From the official Xbox/Tuque press release it sounds like it's crossplay PC+Series S|X+Xbox One.

I really tend to favor co-op these days, and there's so many co-op games coming to GP Day 1: Dark Alliance, The Ascent, The Anacrusis, Back 4 Blood. Hell, even FS2020, FH5, and Halo Infinite have co-op. The best part is GP provides plenty of people to play with. We all get to be excited and play on release without having to worry about blowing hundreds on a few games. Rest of the year is going to be awesome!

cormack12

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2013
I tried dark alliance and vault breakers the last week.

Dark alliance looks like it has potential. Beta has low take up so not getting in Region match making that is lag free. Looks like it could be a decent game but you have to play for 10 or so hours to unlock a decent set of moves and loot. Also attribute points, feat points and currency feels a little overly complex.

Vault breaks is a bit like alienation of it was a rogue like. That also looks half decent.

mikespit1200

Jan 22, 2009
I’m debating if I should get a series x or a series s. I signed up for game pass ultimate and I have a ps5 for 4K Blu-ray’s. My current tv is 1080p until I set up my 4K set. What are the main differences between the two models as far as backwards compatibility, frame rate and resolution goes?

WoodyStare

Mar 24, 2021
Jawnski, PA
I’m debating if I should get a series x or a series s. I signed up for game pass ultimate and I have a ps5 for 4K Blu-ray’s. My current tv is 1080p until I set up my 4K set. What are the main differences between the two models as far as backwards compatibility, frame rate and resolution goes?
If you can afford it, go for the Series X, no question. The Series S is still solid but in terms of differences with resolution/backwards compatibility, it makes more sense to pay the extra for the X. Can’t go wrong with either tbh, just also be aware of the 512GB SSD on the S which will run out very quickly.

I’m debating if I want the DE of the PS5 because I use my Series X for the 4K Blu-ray’s.

Last edited:

Gerdav

Feb 15, 2014
If you can afford it, go for the Series X, no question. The Series S is still solid but in terms of differences with resolution/backwards compatibility, it makes more sense to pay the extra for the X. Can’t go wrong with either tbh, just also be aware of the 512GB SSD on the S which will run out very quickly.

I’m debating if I want the DE of the PS5 because I use my Series X for the 4K Blu-ray’s.

Agree with you regarding getting a Series X over a S if possible, but for what it’s worth about your PS5 purchase, I have both and the PS5 is actually the far superior 4K blu-ray player to the point I will actively turn my Series X off and switch inputs to watch a disc.

Reactions: WoodyStare

WoodyStare

Mar 24, 2021
Jawnski, PA
Agree with you regarding getting a Series X over a S if possible, but for what it’s worth about your PS5 purchase, I have both and the PS5 is actually the far superior 4K blu-ray player to the point I will actively turn my Series X off and switch inputs to watch a disc.
Huh interesting I wasn’t aware of this, thank you for bringing this up. I was already reluctant giving up the ability to use discs (I rarely buy physical games), but this may have pushed me to spend the extra just in case. Doesnt hurt to have a have a backup 4K player.

Last edited:

Gerdav

Feb 15, 2014
Huh interesting I wasn’t aware of this, thank you for bringing this up. I was already reluctant giving up the ability to use discs (I rarely buy games physical), but this may have pushed me to spend the extra just in case. Doesnt hurt to have a have a backup 4K player.

There is a few reviews that back it up too, but I had both at launch and I was noticeable with my own experiences, while the X gets 80% of game time I don’t even think about it as a 4K disk player.

Jul 29, 2013
US
XSS is generally 1080p to XSX's 4K, or 1/4 res. It really shines as a secondary console, a console for kids and teens, and for it's BC and emulation capabilities.

I'm a primary GP PC player, so having a XSX is redundant to my playing habits. XSS is a perfect little box to round out GP Ultimate's PC+Console+Cloud support. $300 for the console, then do the GP conversion deal. Best budget deal in gaming, especially in times like these where GameStop is selling used One S units for $279.

But yeah, if budget isn't an issue and you don't already have a decent PC for GP, then go with the XSX so you can experience peak Xbox quality.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
US
I thought the series s can do 1440p? Is that not the case for BC and or newer releases?
The XSS GPU is just powerful enough to run 1/4 resolution of whatever the XSX is running. With Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite, you'll get 4K on XSX and 1080p on XSS in both Quality and Performance modes. Watch Dogs Legion XSX RT mode targets 4K with dynamic res, while XSS RT mode targets 1080p.

Of course there are exceptions. For the upcoming DOOM Eternal patch XSX is 1800p/120fps Performance, 4K/60fps Balanced, and 1800p/60fps RT. XSS is 1080p/120fps Performance, 1440p/60fps Balanced, and no RT mode.

XSS is more of a 1080p console than a 1440p console.

Last edited:

mikespit1200

Jan 22, 2009
I managed to snag a series s on Amazon today. Pretty stoked to own an Xbox for the first time since the 360. Also signed for 3 months of gp ultimate for a dollar which is sweet. I figure even I decide get an xsx later on I could probably get most or all of the money back. Didn’t hurt that I paid for it all with Amazon credit.