• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

EkiKtkrX0AIh_Zp

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I haven't played Gears since 2. Did the campaign gameplay evolve? It was a lot of fun back in the day, but the idea of playing the Gears 2 campaign now sounds sort of dull.

T-Cake

I haven't played Gears since 2. Did the campaign gameplay evolve? It was a lot of fun back in the day, but the idea of playing the Gears 2 campaign now sounds sort of dull.

Not really. They added some new stuff for Gears 5 with Dave and you get "special powers" so to speak but it's still a cover shooter at heart. Which I'm still loving.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
My Elite Series 2 controller just arrived in the mail and I'm blown away. Gorgeous looking and feeling piece of tech. Hoping nothing glitches out on this baby, because it has totally reaffirmed my decision to buy my first Xbox (Series X) since 360. This thing is a damn beauty.

How Are y"all taking advantage of those back paddles? I took the lower two off, so I can freely squeeze my fingers down, but I'm assigning jump to the top left one.

Last edited:

What could it be?

It's about Keighley's show The Game Awards.

Geoff hosted a Zoom meeting, he advertised it earlier in the week, with a few industry people and it was open to the public. One guy on XboxEra was lucky enough to get in and report back (with screenshots)

Phil allegedly had a mini-Q&A and answered a few questions. I'll summarise;

• Zenimax games will be exclusive to Xbox but this can't be announced or stated in absolute terms as Microsoft doesn't legally own Zenimax yet (we knew this)
  • Ori 2 is Phil's game of the generation
  • Microsoft want big Russian expansion as a priority for Xbox
  • Phil took 35 days playing Destiny 2
  • Xbox One should have supported Kinect 1.0 instead,in Phil's opinion

That was all, seems like there was an interesting Q&A with Gabe afterwards

Last edited by a moderator:
How much is valve worth?
No idea man but I imagine a whole lot more than Bethesda. I don't think Microsoft is going to buy Valve, I was just kidding. Valve must be making a killing with Steam so I would be absolutely shocked if it's an acquisition. Maybe they're working with Microsoft on a new VR headset?

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
No idea man but I imagine a whole lot more than Bethesda. I don't think Microsoft is going to buy Valve, I was just kidding. Valve must be making a killing with Steam so I would be absolutely shocked if it's an acquisition. Maybe they're working with Microsoft on a new VR headset?
According to Google it’s worth about 10-12 billion. Seems doable.

-Arcadia-

Banned

• Zenimax games will be exclusive to Xbox but this can't be announced or stated in absolute terms as Microsoft doesn't legally own Zenimax yet (we knew this)
  • Ori 2 is Phil's game of the generation
  • Microsoft want big Russian expansion as a priority for Xbox
  • Phil took 35 days playing Destiny 2
  • Xbox One should have supported Kinect 1.0 instead,in Phil's opinion

This is neat info, and thanks.

Random thoughts:

- Zenimax stuff is interesting. It’s weird/dumb how legal stuff works.
- That is really cool on Ori 2. That is an awesome pick.
- Some warriors here will probably start looking into Microsoft for Russian collusion.
- Spot on with Kinect. If Xbox One had been $100 less, and just supported hardware that most people had at that point, as well as continuing to make it available, history could look different. Selling a weaker console for more, was the final blow, imo.

- Spot on with Kinect. If Xbox One had been $100 less, and just supported hardware that most people had at that point, as well as continuing to make it available, history could look different. Selling a weaker console for more, was the final blow, imo.

That was the most interesting bit to me. He was specifically asked why he felt Xbox One underperformed and he pointed to the new kinect requirement, rather than just supporting 1.0 and be done with it, as a good example.

In many ways OG Xbox One was the perfect storm of bad decisions, but a $100 price drop and simply supporting Kinect 1.0 instead would have changed a lot. Weaker specs aren't desirable, but it's a sacrifice many will make, or justify, for cheaper cost. Weaker specs for more money is just a non-starter, even with all the good will from the 360 behind it.

-Arcadia-

Banned
That was the most interesting bit to me. He was specifically asked why he felt Xbox One underperformed and he pointed to the new kinect requirement, rather than just supporting 1.0 and be done with it, as a good example.

In many ways OG Xbox One was the perfect storm of bad decisions, but a $100 price drop and simply supporting Kinect 1.0 instead would have changed a lot. Weaker specs aren't desirable, but it's a sacrifice many will make, or justify, for cheaper cost. Weaker specs for more money is just a non-starter, even with all the good will from the 360 behind it.

Exactly.

I see what Microsoft was aiming for with the forced bundle, as 7 years later, most people do indeed issue voice commands to their household, and stream TV. I think that’s what they were prioritizing, and they were not wrong about that coming revolution.

Problem is, people do it through Amazon Echoes that start at $30 and streaming sticks somewhere around $40 or $50. They don’t plunk down $500 for the privilege, nor do gamers much care about any of this.

They so had the right idea, but attached it to the wrong product. Microsoft should have been working on this stuff, and an affordable game console, separately, rather than trying to mash the two together.

DrDamn

It's about Keighley's show The Game Awards.

Geoff hosted a Zoom meeting, he advertised it earlier in the week, with a few industry people and it was open to the public. One guy on XboxEra was lucky enough to get in and report back (with screenshots)

That doesn't add up at all. If they aren't allowed to announce it then he's not going to state it in a call open to the public.

That doesn't add up at all. If they aren't allowed to announce it then he's not going to state it in a call open to the public.

He's not allowed to say it in an official statement or an interview. Further, it was hardly an open call to the public when only a limited number of people were in the Zoom call and only a few of those weren't game industry people.

You're free to disbelieve it, but, if you check the link, evidence was provided and nothing really that surprising was said in any case. He's basically said Zenimax IPs will be console exclusive in the past anyway, just his professional language is because the deal isn't 100% through yet that he can't talk in absolutes.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Wrong generation, maybe? But there’s really no other Xbox OT. Plus, I’d like to think with Xbox, the past is invited to the party just as much as the present.

I had a wonderful time tonight with Man of Medan and Fortnite on One X. The former specifically, I can’t recommend enough to get you into the Halloween mood. It’s on GamePass (alleviating its biggest apparent issue in length), awesome, and I think, full of creep factor.

Anyone else have any good Halloween recommendations for Xbox? I’d love to follow this up with something else.

nikolino840

I was expecting things to be heated, but there are things that happened that I definitely didn’t expect. A lot of people threatened me with rape, a lot of people threatened to kill me, a lot of people saying I wasn’t worthy of the job I was getting and my position.”

Isadora Brasil via The Enemy

We did some changes in our strategy regarding content that came originally from Brazil, resulting in less channels (of communication). We thank Isadora Basile and the talented agency crew for their creativity and contribution to Xbox News. Xbox Wire Portal will be our only news channel from now on. Xbox BR channel will continue to experiment new ways to entertain Brazilian gamers.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Wrong generation, maybe? But there’s really no other Xbox OT. Plus, I’d like to think with Xbox, the past is invited to the party just as much as the present.

I had a wonderful time tonight with Man of Medan and Fortnite on One X. The former specifically, I can’t recommend enough to get you into the Halloween mood. It’s on GamePass (alleviating its biggest apparent issue in length), awesome, and I think, full of creep factor.

Anyone else have any good Halloween recommendations for Xbox? I’d love to follow this up with something else.
God, I'm just fucking disappointed. Gonna work on my art and brainstorm how we can move Black History Month to July.

Alien Isolation if you haven't played it. I've been trying to find horror games to play myself, so I'll have to check out Man of Medan. Not sure why I haven't played it yet considering Until Dawn is probably my favorite PS4 game.

Seconding Alien Isolation.

Costume Quest 1 & 2 are literally Halloween, but maybe not the spookiest games ever. Definitely an annual tradition for many though, myself included.

Tons of other creep games. Blair Witch is similar to Man of Medan, though the latter is the better game IMO. Dead by Daylight, Dead Space, The Blackout Club and of course Resident Evil to an extent. Oh and Oxenfree is a good one, but it really needs a blind playthrough to have any impact.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Seconding Alien Isolation.

Costume Quest 1 & 2 are literally Halloween, but maybe not the spookiest games ever. Definitely an annual tradition for many though, myself included.

Tons of other creep games. Blair Witch is similar to Man of Medan, though the latter is the better game IMO. Dead by Daylight, Dead Space, The Blackout Club and of course Resident Evil to an extent. Oh and Oxenfree is a good one, but it really needs a blind playthrough to have any impact.

I actually did Oxenfree a few Halloweens ago! That was a great time. Awesome recommendations, btw.

Alien Isolation if you haven't played it. I've been trying to find horror games to play myself, so I'll have to check out Man of Medan. Not sure why I haven't played it yet considering Until Dawn is probably my favorite PS4 game.

And this too. I’ve been meaning to play this forever, and also kind of working up the courage. These stalker games... I can’t do them. I fall apart, hahaha. RE2 when you-know-who enters, if we had known each other back then, I literally would have been sending you hilarious PMs for emotional support.

Definitely give MoM a look if you’re a fan. I love these types of games, and I’m really enjoying myself.

Btw, no matter what online game it is, even a horror one, even if I was a newborn baby versus Jason, I would still beat you.

DrDamn

He's not allowed to say it in an official statement or an interview. Further, it was hardly an open call to the public when only a limited number of people were in the Zoom call and only a few of those weren't game industry people.

You're free to disbelieve it, but, if you check the link, evidence was provided and nothing really that surprising was said in any case. He's basically said Zenimax IPs will be console exclusive in the past anyway, just his professional language is because the deal isn't 100% through yet that he can't talk in absolutes.

Just checked the quotes from the source. They said ...

My brother is in and told me he was asked about Bethesda exclusives. And the reason they can’t asnwer this definitively is a legal term because Zenimax is not part of Xbox yet.

You said ...

That's not what was said, Phil said he can't answer the question definitively yet. I get there needs to be clarity around this point, but there isn't any yet. We all expect them to be exclusive to XBox/PC but you are misrepresenting what was said there.

That's not what was said, Phil said he can't answer the question definitively yet. I get there needs to be clarity around this point, but there isn't any yet. We all expect them to be exclusive to XBox/PC but you are misrepresenting what was said there.

he was asked about Bethesda exclusives. And the reason they can’t asnwer this definitively is a legal term because Zenimax is not part of Xbox yet.

Seems pretty clear to me, it's not a perfect word-for-word of what was said and, even if it's an embellishment on my part, we have plenty of instances of Phil saying they will be Xbox console exclusive to know that this is exactly what he's talking about.

If you'd like to discuss further, send me a message

DrDamn

he was asked about Bethesda exclusives. And the reason they can’t asnwer this definitively is a legal term because Zenimax is not part of Xbox yet.

Seems pretty clear to me, it's not a perfect word-for-word of what was said and, even if it's an embellishment on my part, we have plenty of instances of Phil saying they will be Xbox console exclusive to know that this is exactly what he's talking about.

If you'd like to discuss further, send me a message

That's fine, but it's still conjecture on top of that as to what the actual answer is. It's a decent answer as to why we don't have anything definitive at this point, and the obvious conclusion is that they will remain exclusive. It's still not definitive though.

From a recent interview there was a question around GamePass or further games on Switch and other systems. The response from Phil suggested that it was up to other system makers, but the full XBox experience would need to be incorporated in some way.

Here it is - https://www.vg247.com/2020/10/17/more-xbox-games-coming-to-switch-doesnt-feel-sustainable/

“In order to really support it, I would want a full Xbox ecosystem somewhere,” he said. “And that probably means things like Live and Game Pass and stuff.”

That's the only way I see future Bethesda games ending up on Switch or PS. It's not something I see Sony wanting, but if MS keep building the content up and if they added something like Ubisoft then the argument starts becoming more compelling. It's all very unlikely but I wouldn't be total shocked if we ended up some way down that road.

Top Bottom