• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Last edited:

Dee_Dee

Yea that box art has shit everywhere. I thought all that 4K, HDR, Smart delivery tags could go on the back of the box. Also I wonder if that Optimized for series x badge will go away once the Xbox one is finally killed off?

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
EcwBbhhXYAU8f34

No mention of Lockhart. Also "4K Ultra HD on Xbox One X and Xbox Series X only", like wheres the supposed Series S ?

Are people sure that Xbox will announce another, less powerful, console for next gen? I know there's been constant rumours, but has anyone actually leaked anything substantial?

That's weird about the 4K ultra hd as well. The PS5 can't do 4K ultra hd, on a cross gen game? I find that hard to believe, but why wouldn't it be listed? Strange.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Are people sure that Xbox will announce another, less powerful, console for next gen? I know there's been constant rumours, but has anyone actually leaked anything substantial?

That's weird about the 4K ultra hd as well. The PS5 can't do 4K ultra hd, on a cross gen game? I find that hard to believe, but why wouldn't it be listed? Strange.
Depends what you see as substantial. Lockhart has been referenced all over their code lately. With the actual name Lockhart. Which has been used by Windows Central 2 years ago.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Depends what you see as substantial. Lockhart has been referenced all over their code lately. With the actual name Lockhart. Which has been used by Windows Central 2 years ago.

Can you help a guy out with any links, or can I just Google it & I'll find something?

Just curious & I haven't been paying attention really.

Bernkastel

That label just means 4K ultra hd wont be supported on Xbox One, its for the Xbox version. Lockhart definitely exists as a device, but it can be many other alternatives I can think of. The wording makes it look like "Xbox Series X" is the only next gen console. It can be anything
  • Part of the Xbox One family. Runs on the same OS and similar architecture as Xbox Series X but officially labled as part of Xbox One family. This will be Microsoft's low price console.
  • A beefed up Xbox Series X arriving later, costs a lot. Beefed up can mean anything - better specs, running Windows(but can play all Xbox games), modular.
  • It existed but has been cancelled. There are many such devices by Microsoft's hardware team.
  • Blades for xcloud(since 4K can consume too much data for many people).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Can you help a guy out with any links, or can I just Google it & I'll find something?

Just curious & I haven't been paying attention really.
I can help you out :)

This is a great summary of everything they know, and in the article they put all their sources, I've copy/pasted them to make it easier for you.

Summary: https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-series-s-lockhart
In code: https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-series-s-lockhart-appears-latest-xbox-dev-kit-documents
Target specs: https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-scarlett-anaconda-lockhart-specs
Spec tease (20 CU GPU): twitter-link

Last edited by a moderator:

Bernkastel

Polygon interview got removed, but you can still read it here anyway.

Bernkastel

What else are they working on besides Destiny? Didn't they just release a roadmap of Destiny until 2022?
Its also possible that Bungie is just playing the role of a producer and some other studio is doing the game. Or Jez meant something else.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Its also possible that Bungie is just playing the role of a producer and some other studio is doing the game. Or Jez meant something else.

I could see Bungie doing Destiny marketing rights with Microsoft for this upcoming expansion. Just marketing though. They were never a fan of the PS exclusive content. Maybe they will show a Destiny trailer during the Xbox presentation.

Last edited:

Dee_Dee

Last edited:

Dee_Dee

So if I’m understanding everything that 2.5 multiplier of SSD performance on average is talking about the Raw number right? So the average would be 6 gigs per second? Could be higher or lower depending on content though.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
So if I’m understanding everything that 2.5 multiplier of SSD performance on average is talking about the Raw number right? So the average would be 6 gigs per second? Could be higher or lower depending on content though.
I think so, and if compressed we get to 12GB/s

NullZ3r0

Banned
The guardians story line was absolute garbage in my view. I didn't find the storyline oof Halo 4 to be bad though. I didn't really like the Prometheans that much as enemies though.

But even after 343 got their hands on Halo, it is still one of the biggest franchises. Many people tout Halo 5 to be the best Halo multiplayer. I wouldn't know. I didn't play any multiplayer after Halo Reach.
Guardians just had too many characters. It was obviously MS trying to fill some diversity quota in games. I didn't care about any of the characters. On the other hand, I had an emotional attachment to the characters in Halo Reach because you got to play a mission with each one and get to know. Kat was a smartass know-it-all, but when she got killed, man did it hurt. I didn't give a shit about Team Osiris or Blue Team.

But I loved the actual storyline with Cortana going rogue. It addresses a moral responsibility when you create sentient AIs. They don't want to die either and they develop their own moral code that will likely be based on pure logic alone. Cortana's reasons were completely logical, however, decisions that affect trillions of lives can't just be based on pure logic. I had no issues with Halo 4 or 5's actual stories. Four was really good and a beautiful game and 5 just had too much going on for too short of a story. Team Osiris really needs their own game. Halo 5 should have been a Blue Team only game.

Bernkastel

Last edited:

Are you speaking about XvA and the "effective multiplier" stuff MS mentioned?

Truth is I don't think anyone is 100% knowing of exactly how it works, MS simply haven't mentioned enough of the setup for us to know. However, based on what I've seen other knowledgeable people here and on places like B3D discuss in great detail, I figure the "effective multiplier is in reference to:

1: Reduced latency access, which ties into...

2: Highly improves/reduces prefetching frame range (potentially to 2 frames or even 1 frame)

So since it'd appear things like SFS want to focus on bringing in just specific texture file assets "just in time" when they're needed, and blending lower-level mips seamlessly into the higher level-one that is streamed in, you need extremely good latency for that. Bandwidth is less of a need here but it can still be important in its own way, it's just that latency is definitely the more important of the two in serving the purposes of something like SFS.

The big question though is just how good is the latency? Average latency of TLC and QLC NAND is something like 100 microseconds. If MS have been looking to reduce that latency drastically, that serves better purpose for things like what the DiRT 5 developer was talking about regarding texture use/discard/replacement in the middle of a frame.

Obviously they can't get latency figures on NAND down to PCM or RAM levels, otherwise they'd of just gone with more RAM or some PCM in the middle (which I was hoping both systems would do tbh; maybe unrealistically). But MS have consistently been talking about latency reduction in their design. I don't know if their Dynamic Latency Input feature plays into XvA as well, but it does go to show where MS's focus is with their SSD I/O: they're prioritizing latency reduction.

With all that said, Sony, ..... I think they will have very good latency with their setup as well, but it's clear they have chosen to prioritize maximizing bandwidth instead. The thing though is that for vast majority of I/O related tasks, the two essentially cancel each other out. That's why it's been foolish for a lot to directly compare the SSD I/O specs between the two systems because they have had different emphasis of paths to roughly similar end-goals from the beginning. MS's is better suited for stacking on top of any number of SSD configurations (both beastly SSDs and more weak ones) and scalability.

Sony's is more pure hardware-orientated to a specific system design, but it lacks scalability and other solutions that want to be compatible have to play by Sony's specifications which raises the minimum on the 3rd party's end (hence why Sony has to certify 3rd-party SSDs for compatibility with PS5; tbf if MS's solution is doing a setup like the poster 'function' mentioned in their B3D post, you'd need proprietary drives with custom firmware to support that, which could explain their partnership with Seagate).

Fuc yeah!

Bodes extremely well for the gameplay visuals there (I'd assume Project Mara was also in real-time then, too). Can't wait to see more of this game.

Last edited:

Dee_Dee

Are you speaking about XvA and the "effective multiplier" stuff MS mentioned?

Truth is I don't think anyone is 100% knowing of exactly how it works, MS simply haven't mentioned enough of the setup for us to know. However, based on what I've seen other knowledgeable people here and on places like B3D discuss in great detail, I figure the "effective multiplier is in reference to:

1: Reduced latency access, which ties into...

2: Highly improves/reduces prefetching frame range (potentially to 2 frames or even 1 frame)

So since it'd appear things like SFS want to focus on bringing in just specific texture file assets "just in time" when they're needed, and blending lower-level mips seamlessly into the higher level-one that is streamed in, you need extremely good latency for that. Bandwidth is less of a need here but it can still be important in its own way, it's just that latency is definitely the more important of the two in serving the purposes of something like SFS.

The big question though is just how good is the latency? Average latency of TLC and QLC NAND is something like 100 microseconds. If MS have been looking to reduce that latency drastically, that serves better purpose for things like what the DiRT 5 developer was talking about regarding texture use/discard/replacement in the middle of a frame.

Obviously they can't get latency figures on NAND down to PCM or RAM levels, otherwise they'd of just gone with more RAM or some PCM in the middle (which I was hoping both systems would do tbh; maybe unrealistically). But MS have consistently been talking about latency reduction in their design. I don't know if their Dynamic Latency Input feature plays into XvA as well, but it does go to show where MS's focus is with their SSD I/O: they're prioritizing latency reduction.

With all that said, Sony, ..... I think they will have very good latency with their setup as well, but it's clear they have chosen to prioritize maximizing bandwidth instead. The thing though is that for vast majority of I/O related tasks, the two essentially cancel each other out. That's why it's been foolish for a lot to directly compare the SSD I/O specs between the two systems because they have had different emphasis of paths to roughly similar end-goals from the beginning. MS's is better suited for stacking on top of any number of SSD configurations (both beastly SSDs and more weak ones) and scalability.

Sony's is more pure hardware-orientated to a specific system design, but it lacks scalability and other solutions that want to be compatible have to play by Sony's specifications which raises the minimum on the 3rd party's end (hence why Sony has to certify 3rd-party SSDs for compatibility with PS5; tbf if MS's solution is doing a setup like the poster 'function' mentioned in their B3D post, you'd need proprietary drives with custom firmware to support that, which could explain their partnership with Seagate).

Fuc yeah!

Bodes extremely well for the gameplay visuals there (I'd assume Project Mara was also in real-time then, too). Can't wait to see more of this game.
Yep that’s what I was talking about. Hopefully they show this off next week during the conference.

CGI means computer graphics or just a cutscene. In-Engine means this is an actual piece of demo or trailer rendered using the engine.

So basically it was gameplay (as in in-engine visuals that would be used for gameplay) visuals already? Even better

I get the cropping and 24 FPS threw people off, but all in all this is great news and means lots of good for next-gen visuals. That HB2 trailer still has the best character animation from any next-gen showpiece so far, easily. Ninja Theory's on the up.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

How should OT3 be titled ?

Top Bottom