• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox |OT| Power Your Dreams

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Ive had a lot of issues with Auto HDR coming out of rest mode. Hopefully thats fixed too.
My issue more than auto HDR, also happened, has been the USB drive being powered but not visible and having to reconnect it for the XSX to see it again.

Night.Ninja

Banned
I had the controller issue last night, seems to be because I turned off my headset first.

With the usb drive for games I find it randomly disconnects when plugged into the front USB slot

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I was there in the audience. I fell in love with Xbox that night even though the games I saw the next day at CES didn't appeal at all to me; shooters (Halo) and racing games I think. I was into MMORPGs on PC and JRPGs back then.

It's interesting how things can change. Today Halo is my favorite series, I have no interest in MMOs anymore and I actively dislike JRPGs
You're old

Also on the same page as you on DQXI, just not as politely. WTF is all the love for this crappy game about??? It's boring, repetitious, really boring and stupid combat, horrible voice acting, dumb story, cartoon graphics, overall there is nothing for me to like about this game. How did this thing get such a high MC score (92) outscoring great games like Gears 5, Ori, Hivebusters etc? I'm still playing it because I'm waiting for my copy of Valhalla to come on Friday and don't want to start an actual good game and then have to drop it.

Well, my politeness is likely due to my Canadianess. 🇨🇦 :messenger_smiling: But yeah, DQX1 is now officially deleted off my SSD. Love that many enjoy it, but it’s not for me. I’m hearing that Valhalla has been patched up some for Series X since release so I’ll probably download that after Hivebusters. And a bit more on this bit of DLC....

I just got to the part where the story has the badass trio visiting the ancestral village of the female character. As they first enter the village there are all sorts of cool firefly effects and lanterns and wow does HDR ever shine here....then they come to a bridge and the graphical symphony just hit me full force. Like Gears quite a bit, but my favourite genre is RPG’s....of the western kind. I cannot help but salivate thinking about this hardware in the hands of the Western RPG masters. And would you look at that, many of them are in the XGS stable! I’m kind of steeling myself against what is likely to be a few dry months of news....but once news about these exclusives starts to roll out it’s going to be extremely fun.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm in the same boat and even have a lot of the same games as you in my backlog. When the XGS exclusives start dropping the majority of them aren't going to be little 10-12 hour 1 and done 3rd person cinematic movie games. A lot of big meaty RPGS and since I love to explore every corner I spend a lot of time on each one.

Also on the same page as you on DQXI, just not as politely. WTF is all the love for this crappy game about??? It's boring, repetitious, really boring and stupid combat, horrible voice acting, dumb story, cartoon graphics, overall there is nothing for me to like about this game. How did this thing get such a high MC score (92) outscoring great games like Gears 5, Ori, Hivebusters etc? I'm still playing it because I'm waiting for my copy of Valhalla to come on Friday and don't want to start an actual good game and then have to drop it.
You're such a bro gamer :messenger_open_mouth:

ROMhack

Shame on anyone besmirching the good name of Dragon Quest

I agree with him/her but happy to admit that everybody has their preferences. I played for 20 hours and gave up.

To me, DQXI is a Saturday morning cartoon equivalent of a JRPG that's light-hearted and fun with no pretence whatsoever. It takes everything that could be complicated and makes sure it isn't. At its very core, it's a pure old-school JRPG with modern graphos that plods along at turtle speed because it wants you to take your time to engross yourself in its world and with its characters. People often mention the Tim Rogers review where he calls it a 'perfect bedtime story' and you know what? He's absolutely right. DQXI is unashamedly light. Even the gameplay is simplified to the point where it feels like something from the NES era. Of course, this is all absolutely fine.

However, these same reasons are why it isn't my jam. For the amount of time I need to put into it, I need something to grab me: an idea; a concept; something that does something unique. DQXI is the antithesis of this by design. I find it doesn't approach the same characteristics that make games like FFVII, Xenogears, The World Ends with You, Persona, Earthbound, Mother 3 so intriguing. I kept playing hoping that something would happen but then I realised, yeah, it's just not that kind off game.

It's a great experience I'm sure, and of course has many fans, but it's not for people like myself. :)

Last edited:

Roberts

I have been playing Immortals: Fenyx Rising over the last few days. Speaking of graphics, initial impressions were kind of meh: The starter island is covered in fog and together with cartoony aesthetics it looked like a hi-res 360 era game, but as soon as you are done with the prologue, the fog lifts and it starts to look so much better. That said, I really enjoy the gameplay. I haven't played BOTW, but as I understand they are similar. Anyway, to me primary it feels like an open world puzzle game and only then a RPG with fighting. You will have to fight bosses to advance the story and kill stuff to boost your skills, but mostly it is just figuring out how to unlock vaults and stuff. I think I am about 10 hours in and it doesn't feel too repetitious yet. Narration (Bastion style) is really fun as well, even if the humour is kind of hit and miss.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member

Doncabesa

I have been playing Immortals: Fenyx Rising over the last few days. Speaking of graphics, initial impressions were kind of meh: The starter island is covered in fog and together with cartoony aesthetics it looked like a hi-res 360 era game, but as soon as you are done with the prologue, the fog lifts and it starts to look so much better. That said, I really enjoy the gameplay. I haven't played BOTW, but as I understand they are similar. Anyway, to me primary it feels like an open world puzzle game and only then a RPG with fighting. You will have to fight bosses to advance the story and kill stuff to boost your skills, but mostly it is just figuring out how to unlock vaults and stuff. I think I am about 10 hours in and it doesn't feel too repetitious yet. Narration (Bastion style) is really fun as well, even if the humour is kind of hit and miss.
I reviewed it for Xbox Era, really freaking loved it. Pretty much everyone on the team does. Such a shame that Ubi seemingly sent it out to die.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I reviewed it for Xbox Era, really freaking loved it. Pretty much everyone on the team does. Such a shame that Ubi seemingly sent it out to die.

I keep hearing nothing but good things about this game. I'm going to have to get but not right now. I just started Valhalla which will take forever and The Medium is coming out in a couple of weeks. I wish I'd waited on Valhalla until after The Medium. I forgot it was coming this month and I've been dying to play it.

Plus with Game Pass and the Xbox Christmas sales I have a ton of games I really, REALLY want to play. At least I'm not playing CP2077 until there is an actual Series X version. I'm getting ADHD with all the games I want to play right now. Sometime in the future though I will find time to buy and play the Immortals.

Greeno

So... I truly believe that Xbox's next controller needs a gyro sensor. It opens many possibilities for new game experiences. RTS games such as Age of Empires, Halo Wars, Total War, etc. will be possible on Xbox thanks to how easy it is to map the PC controls to controller controls.

At the moment, it is up in the air if Age of Empires 4 is coming to Xbox (they said that they will have to figure out the controls). With a gyro sesnsor, that issue is no more that of an issue.

BigBooper

So... I truly believe that Xbox's next controller needs a gyro sensor. It opens many possibilities for new game experiences. RTS games such as Age of Empires, Halo Wars, Total War, etc. will be possible on Xbox thanks to how easy it is to map the PC controls to controller controls.

At the moment, it is up in the air if Age of Empires 4 is coming to Xbox (they said that they will have to figure out the controls). With a gyro sesnsor, that issue is no more that of an issue.
If you think gyro curser is good enough to make AOE4 work well, I'll just have to completely disagree with you my friend. MS should really open it up and partner with Logitech for an Xbox mouse.

Greeno

If you think gyro curser is good enough to make AOE4 work well, I'll just have to completely disagree with you my friend. MS should really open it up and partner with Logitech for an Xbox mouse.

What I'm saying is that RTS control mappings based on gyro sensors would be easier compared to RTS control mappings based on joysticks. A mouse will always come on top, no argument in that.

I like the Series X/S controller, the only thing I’d change is the loudness of the D-Pad and the X/A/Y/B buttons, more the D-Pad tho. It’s not a big deal I just get a bit irritated at the noise on occasion.

I got side tracked on my way to Valhalla. Decided to give Sea of Thieves a try. I had heard that there is no middle ground with this game. Either you love it or it doesn’t really click. I became a fan very quickly. I can see how once you put a crew of friends together it could be a very great experIence. I know things will go very badly for me if a galleon wants to take me down because I’m currently going solo - and I did have a ship tail me for a while but I managed to give them the slip - but I’m fine playing solo for a while until I become proficient with the controls. Having to keep an eye on the horizon for sails keeps up a certain amount of suspense that really helps the immersion. Not sure if I’ve seen the ocean done this well in any game before...in 4K 60fps the waves are mesmerizing. And the sound design is top notch, especially while sailing, with the creaking sounds of the ship, creaking ropes etc...

I now understand why this title has been a big success for both Rare and Xbox. It will have my attention for quite a while.

Last edited:
Yeah, I get its more convenient for you to pretend that was a lie.
More continent for me? What? I personally don't care. I can play all these games on PC.

It would be good for Xbox as a console thou, like I said in my previous post in this thread.

But to believe in Aaron's lies you have to be special kind of stupid.

I hope it will happen. Go team green! :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
More continent for me? What? I personally don't care. I can play all these games on PC.
Well atleast I know that you do care that it is not on Xbox and you get some internet points for claiming so.
It really baffles me why Microsoft won't port AOE 1/2/3 DE to Xbox. They could use every game they have to convince people to buy Xbox Series. Just do a straight port, no controller support.
But to believe in Aaron's lies you have to be special kind of stupid.

I hope it will happen. Go team green! :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Gotta believe you random guy on the internet, who has an instruction manual on whose words to treat as gospel and whose to not believe as fits his personal narrative.

Well atleast I know that you do care that it is not on Xbox and you get some internet points for claiming so.

Gotta believe you random guy on the internet, who has an instruction manual on whose words to treat as gospel and whose to not believe as fits his personal narrative.
You are free to pick who you follow on the internet. But if it happens to be Aaron Greenberg, you're not going to get very far.

Regardless, let's hope Microsoft embrace their more PC focused games and port them all to Xbox. They need it.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Xbox Series S is more powerful than Xbox One X, correct?
Can it play xbox 360 games in 4K?
Even though it doesn't have a UHD disk drive, does it support 4K video playback? (like the ps4 pro did)

Even though it doesn't have a UHD disk drive, does it support 4K video playback? (like the ps4 pro did)
The XSS has a better CPU and a weaker GPU with more features than the X1X. There are few games that run at native 4K. The XSX is the 4K console.

You are free to pick who you follow on the internet. But if it happens to be Aaron Greenberg, you're not going to get very far.

Regardless, let's hope Microsoft embrace their more PC focused games and port them all to Xbox. They need it.

If you hate Xbox so much, why are you even in this thread?
Are you one of the guys that follow Xbox on Twitter and reply to every single tweet of them how Xbox sucks and how PlayStation is so much better?

Last edited:

Godfavor

XSS is actually more capable on the gpu side. When we see true next gen games using mesh shading, SFS, velocity, ray tracing, the visual quality would be much higher, xbox one x would not be able to keep up.

XSS just can't push for native 4k that often due to limited memory bandwidth. But all the above effects and optimizations could help push visuals, just not the resolution due to the limited headroom available.

Also of how BC works, the XSX and XSS emulate the architecture of the previous generation, so 12TF and 4TF of GCN instead of RDNA2 respectively. As you would have guessed the Xbox one X has 6TF of GCN so XSS would not be able to run the Xbox one X version.

That's why it was marketed as a 1080p-2k machine.
On the CPU and storage it is clearly miles ahead.
And yes it can output 4k60 in streaming apps and some games

Last edited:
Are you one of the guys that follow Xbox on Twitter and reply to every single tweet of them how Xbox sucks and how PlayStation is so much better?
What gave you the idea that I hate Xbox? I'm subscribed to Gamepass, I own 360 and One X. Laughing at clowns from Microsoft leadership team suddenly equals to hating the brand?

And no, I'm not on Twitter or any other social media for that matter. I also don't think PlayStation is better. PC is better. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Stop being so fragile. :messenger_heart:

Kagey K

Banned
They can’t help themselves.

It’s like a weird disease, they can’t enjoy what they have unless everyone else is more miserable than them.

Some of them spend more time tearing other shit down than they do spending time enjoying what they have.

(by some I mean most)

Last edited:
Top Bottom